Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

Seriously Codemasters?? Nonsense Micro-transactions and in-game currency in a fully priced game!


Recommended Posts

On 7/11/2020 at 12:33 PM, marioho said:

I get it, but why "irregardless of the cost of development?" 

Are you referring to the cost of creating the purely cosmetic assets? Yes, I agree that it must be rather cheap, all things considered. However if you mean the cost of developing the game as a whole... Neither of us can claim to be in the know of said costs, but if I were to guess I'd say they're on the rise with (1) the addition of new features like a whole new mode and revamping of old ones like drivers market, (2) a new console generation on the horizon and (3) the ever crescent cost of game development. Wouldn't an extra revenue influx that has absolutely no impact on gameplay and offers content that can be unlocked just by playing the game offline have the potential of being put to good use in this scenario?

I am relatively new to the franchise, but I'm not aware of a recent leap in features and content comparable to that we got from F1 2019 > F1 2020.

And come on, is there any reason to believe that the availability of the pre-order bonus on a small segment of the player base won't be resolved in the near future? 

Yes for the cosmetic items is what I meant I know the game as a whole must take some large amount of capital to make my thing is why make a paid pass system in the first place I can see why in a free to play title like fortnite or COD warfare from what I have seen from the cosmetics added to F1 2020 are not much to write home about. I am new as well I started playing this series of games in 2018 and yes the features from last years game to this one was quite a leap I am very happy with the game as a whole. I just don’t understand why they needed to add the podium pass whether free or paid there are other progression systems that they could have implemented so those who do want that level of customization could have it. Personally of course I will use whatever customization option is free I am not going to lay down extra cash on a game that I already paid for but again that is just me. As for codies foxing they issues I think they are doing a fair job it’s not like they are EA or anything I’m sure they are trying to get all the issues fixed not just with the preorder bonus but with bugs and glitches in the game. at this point I’m just rambling on the hame is quite enjoyable I have been powering through my team and the regular career mode plan on trying multiplayer at some point maybe after I finish a my team season 

Edited by Talon01
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Talon01 my guess is that the revenue from microtransactions such as the cosmetic items are reverted to the overall development of the game. Those who choose to pay instead of grinding for those items are not paying artists per se, but the whole studio – from the guy designing helmets to the one thinking of how to make My Team bigger and better.

When I ask if we have ever seen a game in the franchise making such a leap in quality from one iteration to the next I don't mean to ask us to give Codemasters a pass. It is just that those two dots (leap in content and implementation of a new revenue influx) are linked, correlated. We're seeing CM broadening the game scope and I think that the MTX model comes in hot this time for this purpose, to secure a budget to keep the ball rolling. 

And while I've been this whole thread defending CM, I have yet to spend an extra dime on the game. My whole gaming life I must have spent a grand total of 5 bucks on microtransactions. And it is a wild guess because from the top of my head the only cashing out I remember doing for micro content like this was paying for 3 extra scenarios on Fire Emblem: Awakening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, martbloke said:

This is what I disagree with on MTX in a full priced game. It's not fair or reasonable to put an option there for someone to pay extra money on top of what they have already paid for the price of the game to buy something that is already included in the cost of said game. Yes it's optional but why is it there if you've already paid for it when buying the game? It's there in the hope that a fool pays for the item again and gives the company more money. It's there to feed off those who have no patience with games - believe me there are lots of these types of people now that streaming is a massive thing which people get paid for doing so the incentive is there to get as much content out as possible to win viewers to win advertising revenue. I'm not just hating on Codies for this but all companies these days that do it for nothing else but greed. There's just no need for it in such a lucrative market as it is.

 

But because society is saying that they accept this practice as it's now the norm, really is not helping. It's like I said before how people now accept that games will be launched with untold numbers of bugs (some game-breaking) or unfinished content because that is the norm knowing that the company are only doing this because they have strict deadlines and see the money is still going to come in no matter what they do with it so why bother spending heaps of time on it before launch to polish it when it can be done little by little in patches weeks and months after launch. It's a ludicrous and unethical industry most of the time and the unfortunate thing is that people don't care because they want, want, want with games so the companies have no incentive to change for the better and are changing for the worse. They only see money and profits!! True it's a business so that's why they are there but still business should be conducted in a better way.  

 

 

So society is wrong and you are right and society should listen to what you say because you know stuff that society doesn't know?

Okay, you know what? I'll take my bet with codemasters. They clearly have a better understanding of what I want. 

This morning I woke up like every morning since a few days to have a look at the new items in the item shop and you know what. I felt excited as a kid to discover there are 2 new liveries in the item shop. 2 virtual items with no value whatsoever made my day start good. In your version of the game I would have looked at the game today to find out everything is already in the same. I would have had everything already so I might start dreaming about the new features of F1 2021 already because until the next year there will be nothing new to see here anymore. Oh yes the black mercedes liveries, I might come back for that one because the racing is not important, it's more important what glove we wear or if I don't look too fat in that striped livery. (sarcasm)

What codemasters does is improve on gamers their lives because that is what is important. Enjoying your life is important. You shouldn't worry too much about other peoples live their lives. The human race has been going on for a long time without you and they are still alive so don't bother too much with how others live their lives. They"ll manage without you explaining what they should do and should not do. You should bother about you life. Are you enjoying life? It doesn't look like it from the malcontent were you are spending your precious time on.

I'm actually wondering if you bought the game? To me it looks like you know way too much about evil companies and society to never be fooled by  Codemasters to make you purchase one of their products ever. How foolish would that be that you of all people would purchase a product that contains MTX. (did I spell that correctly?) It would be like discovering that vegans do eat meat. :classic_biggrin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

This morning I woke up like every morning since a few days to have a look at the new items in the item shop and you know what. I felt excited as a kid to discover there are 2 new liveries in the item shop. 2 virtual items with no value whatsoever made my day start good. In your version of the game I would have looked at the game today to find out everything is already in the same. I would have had everything already so I might start dreaming about the new features of F1 2021 already because until the next year there will be nothing new to see here anymore. Oh yes the black mercedes liveries, I might come back for that one because the racing is not important, it's more important what glove we wear or if I don't look too fat in that striped livery. (sarcasm)

 

 

Hmmmmm, why the contradiction? You get excited by liveries but then don't?? lol

 

I've never once said that new additional items like DLC are bad. What I have said is what is given in the full game as part of the grind system should never have a monetary value added to it giving people the chance to unlock them early if they can't be bothered to play the game to earn said items that have already been paid for when you purchased the game. Also, the DLC should not be content that would be considered as part of the full game just removed to sell on later. Have you had your coffee and woken up properly yet??

 

If you're so happy with the current situation, why are YOU spending so much time arguing and not enjoying it? It's my opinion and not anything to demand that people cease to buy into it. Would be nice however so that there is a change to the industry rather than them finding mechanics to squeeze as much money out of people they possibly can but I guess you don't care that much about all that cash that you have under your bed there. It's your money at the end of the day so do with it as you please (said that already but never mind). Caring for others is actually seen as a nice trait. Guess I know what side of the coin you are on in that respect. 

 

Oh and congrats on spelling MTX correctly. Well done. Knew you could do it! 👊

 

Geez sensitive much! #Snowflake #TouchedANerve

Link to post
Share on other sites

Caring for others? Really? Is this about others? Because it surely sounds it's all about you. You want  the world to be a certain way, your way. You don't care about what others want. You even call people that not see it your way "fools". Don't tell me it's about caring. It's about entitlement. You paid so you should get what you want and what others want just doesn't matter to you. It's that simple

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

Caring for others? Really? Is this about others? Because it surely sounds it's all about you. You want  the world to be a certain way, your way. You don't care about what others want. You even call people that not see it your way "fools". Don't tell me it's about caring. It's about entitlement. You paid so you should get what you want and what others want just doesn't matter to you. It's that simple

LMAO!!! 😆

 

So paying for something even though you've already paid for it isn't foolish?? And people WANTED a facility to pay extra for these things that were already part of the full game?? Haha - wow! Guess they saw you coming from a mile away. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What did I pay for? I bought a racing game and that is what I got. Is there anything you can buy that makes it a better racing game? No! I know what I paid for and what extra's I pay for. It's the same as buying a car. You pay for the car and you pay extra for all the options.

Oooooh this gives me an idea for F1 2021. What if we would have to pay real life cash to upgrade our car in My Team and then they could also charge us for ...  

Heading to the suggestion subforums as we speak 😈

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, marioho said:

@Talon01 my guess is that the revenue from microtransactions such as the cosmetic items are reverted to the overall development of the game. Those who choose to pay instead of grinding for those items are not paying artists per se, but the whole studio – from the guy designing helmets to the one thinking of how to make My Team bigger and better.

When I ask if we have ever seen a game in the franchise making such a leap in quality from one iteration to the next I don't mean to ask us to give Codemasters a pass. It is just that those two dots (leap in content and implementation of a new revenue influx) are linked, correlated. We're seeing CM broadening the game scope and I think that the MTX model comes in hot this time for this purpose, to secure a budget to keep the ball rolling. 

And while I've been this whole thread defending CM, I have yet to spend an extra dime on the game. My whole gaming life I must have spent a grand total of 5 bucks on microtransactions. And it is a wild guess because from the top of my head the only cashing out I remember doing for micro content like this was paying for 3 extra scenarios on Fire Emblem: Awakening. 

I understand your point I can see that being the case from the business standpoint but and I’m not an expert on numbers but if they are giving people who preordered a bonus of the premium currency to buy the vip portion of the pass wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of the MTX’s? bc if you are getting the bonus for preordering and each pass has enough premium currency to buy the next one there will be some people who will have not spent a dime on mtx unless they chose to buy what was in the daily item shop of course that is an option to buy items that are separate from the pass. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It should never be the case that a game should include cosmetics (via real world purchases) with a design appeal that targets a very specific audience within it's PEGI 3 rating and my feeling is that due to the nature of these cosmetics Codemasters have shown a total disregard to what is morally correct and what isn't by doing just that.

Look, if you must resort to such practices then raise the PEGI rating or at the very least put things in place to ensure the vulnerable are completely excluded from making purchases beyond the base game. Better still, why not just sell your games at a fairer price to encourage more people to buy it, thus completely removing the need to resort to these penny pinching tactics..

Apologies for my tone but, you know, such is my disgust I can't say it any other way. Yes, I do own the game (not arrived...on it's way) but having quite literally just learned of the MTX inclusions i've already arranged a refund and it's going straight back when it arrives because I simply cannot condone the use of microtransactions in any game.  

  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

It should never be the case that a game should include cosmetics (via real world purchases) with a design appeal that targets a very specific audience within it's PEGI 3 rating and my feeling is that due to the nature of these cosmetics Codemasters have shown a total disregard to what is morally correct and what isn't by doing just that.

Look, if you must resort to such practices then raise the PEGI rating or at the very least put things in place to ensure the vulnerable are completely excluded from making purchases beyond the base game. Better still, why not just sell your games at a fairer price to encourage more people to buy it, thus completely removing the need to resort to these penny pinching tactics..

Apologies for my tone but, you know, such is my disgust I can't say it any other way. Yes, I do own the game (not arrived...on it's way) but having quite literally just learned of the MTX inclusions i've already arranged a refund and it's going straight back when it arrives because I simply cannot condone the use of microtransactions in any game.  

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and are falsely accusing Codemasters to prey on children to exploit them. You clearly did not play the game or even know what Podium Pass is. Some countries have laws that protect the vulnerable, these laws were made specifically because of Star Wars BF2. If Codemasters was exploiting vulnerable people with podium pass they would not be be able to sell it in my country. So I'm actually disgusted that you dare to exploit children just because they fit nicely into your narrative about micro transactions.  Shame on you sir!

Edited by BelgiumDude
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BelgiumDude said:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and are falsely accusing Codemasters to prey on children to exploit them. You clearly did not play the game or even know what Podium Pass is. Some countries have laws that protect the vulnerable, these laws were made specifically because of Star Wars BF2. If Codemasters was exploiting vulnerable people with podium pass they would not be be able to sell it in my country. So I'm actually disgusted that you dare to exploit children just because they fit nicely into your narrative about micro transactions.  Shame on you sir!

Yeah wasn't the change in law around random chances, like with fut packs being random cards. Wasn't the rule that you either had to say what the odds of things showing up were/  To be honest that is really exploitive and a dangerous slope Microtransations took because they knew they could get away with it.  Until EA really took the mick and in essence made a rod for their own back.

 

Anyway i am not a fan of Microtransations as i've said already in here but this isn't the same like Belgiumdude has pointed out you get the points you buy specific things there's no rng or game of chance involved to any of this.  It is merely something people aren't fond of but at the same time there's no pay to win involved you can just get pretty liveries and suits.  However i wish there was a way to earn the points beyond the tier grind like with the competition points last year which i think was through ranked multiplayer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheCroc84 I feel you. If it is of any help, the grinding is done simply by playing and I honestly think it is an improvement compared to F1 2019. It is not exactly the most straightforward of comparisons given that the scope of unlockable content is way wider this time around, but I'm not a big fan of multiplayer and so far I've got most of 1/3 of this "season" grinding done just by playing My Team, as I intended to do. There are a bunch of easily achievable goals on my dashboard but I don't feel compelled to do them because of how much points I get just by playing at my leisure.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheCroc84 said:

Yeah wasn't the change in law around random chances, like with fut packs being random cards. Wasn't the rule that you either had to say what the odds of things showing up were/  To be honest that is really exploitive and a dangerous slope Microtransations took because they knew they could get away with it.  Until EA really took the mick and in essence made a rod for their own back.

Exactly that is that law that protects vulnerable people and kids in Belgium. If you look at the microtransactions in F1 2020 they did the right thing. I can understand you don't like a shop in the game but this is 2020. We have evolved from the Atari and Commodore games. If you can open a shop in the game why wouldn't you? Because some people don't like it? If the human race had acted like that through the entire history of our race we wouldn't even have gotten to video games. We still would using fire because some people would argue electricity is the work of the devil.

You made it sound like Codemasters is selling smurfberries. Because that was preying on children. There is nothing to buy with pitcoins that makes you advance in the game or get better. It's just cosmetics. Lots of games have this and mostly I don't care about them because I don't care what my rifle looks like or I'm just not invested enough in the game to buy any DLC. Formula 1 is different for me, I'm invested in this game and will be playing it for months so yes I'm surely gonna spend a few Pitcoins (real cash) on it.

The argument for having all the cosmetics at the start doesn't hold up in how this game works. With or without the podium pass you would have to unlock the liveries as you progress in your career. So there would have always been something like podium pass even without microtransactions the unlocking would work the same way and you wouldn't be able to have other liveries than the once you unlock. Pitcoins makes it possible to buy other ones then the ones you will unlock eventually. Last year you had to wait months before the DLC came out. Now you can start buying that DLC right away.

Microtransactions will be in every game soon, better start getting used to it because you will not be able to sway the public opinion or stop the companies from doing microtransactions. What you should be focussing on is companies that doing the unacceptable not companies that help guide microtransactions in the right direction.

Does the Podium Pass have flaws? Probably but I havent found them yet. If the Podium Pass was unfair I would be burning the forum down in anger :classic_cool:

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BelgiumDude said:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and are falsely accusing Codemasters to prey on children to exploit them. You clearly did not play the game or even know what Podium Pass is. Some countries have laws that protect the vulnerable, these laws were made specifically because of Star Wars BF2. If Codemasters was exploiting vulnerable people with podium pass they would not be be able to sell it in my country. So I'm actually disgusted that you dare to exploit children just because they fit nicely into your narrative about micro transactions.  Shame on you sir!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-39488587

 

This is the adverse effect of introducing MTX to minors... It's real, it happens and developers know EXACTLY what they're doing so don't even go there. Yes, blame the parents for not educating their children and yes blame the child for not having any sense of awareness when making these purchases - but never, ever completely overlook the sense of responsibility developers should have when selling a product that minors can legally buy

But hey, if you're happy with the actions of Codemasters - or indeed any other developers who take advantage of anyone or everyone wherever possible - then that's fine, feel free to remain in your "I'm alright, Jack" bubble but remember, when every single game is rife with these scummy microtransactions you might finally realise the severity of your ignorance towards this issue. Or probably not. Better still, why not spend a couple of days working with our team and get a real insight into the minds and actions of those less fortunate than yourself. Those who don't possess a full understanding of everyday things, those who don't fully understand the implications of financial temptation and more importantly those who are given no thought or consideration in modern day society.

So yes, I know exactly what i'm talking about and whilst microtransactions won't single handedly bring about the demise of society as we know it, they still remain a potential detriment towards individuals (not just minors) who don't possess the relevant life skills to understand purchase implications and therefore should be governed accordingly. If you don't see that or understand that then that's entirely your judgement - just don't preach about something you know absolutely nothing about...

And there it ends because F1 2020 has now been returned so my interest in the game is now zero.

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-39488587

 

This is the adverse effect of introducing MTX to minors... It's real, it happens and developers know EXACTLY what they're doing so don't even go there. Yes, blame the parents for not educating their children and yes blame the child for not having any sense of awareness when making these purchases - but never, ever completely overlook the sense of responsibility developers should have when selling a product that minors can legally buy

But hey, if you're happy with the actions of Codemasters - or indeed any other developers who take advantage of anyone or everyone wherever possible - then that's fine, feel free to remain in your "I'm alright, Jack" bubble but remember, when every single game is rife with these scummy microtransactions you might finally realise the severity of your ignorance towards this issue. Or probably not. Better still, why not spend a couple of days working with our team and get a real insight into the minds and actions of those less fortunate than yourself. Those who don't possess a full understanding of everyday things, those who don't fully understand the implications of financial temptation and more importantly those who are given no thought or consideration in modern day society.

So yes, I know exactly what i'm talking about and whilst microtransactions won't single handedly bring about the demise of society as we know it, they still remain a potential detriment towards individuals (not just minors) who don't possess the relevant life skills to understand purchase implications and therefore should be governed accordingly. If you don't see that or understand that then that's entirely your judgement - just don't preach about something you know absolutely nothing about...

And there it ends because F1 2020 has now been returned so my interest in the game is now zero.

Again, Codemasters is not selling smurfberries. The fact that you even use that article as a source for your argument shows just how little you know about this game and the industry as a whole. Again shame on you!

The problem described in the article has nothing do with microtansactions or at least that is not the real issue. The real issue was that you can give a kid a phone and that kid can access your credit card with that phone. That is a problem in the App Stores. It's a problem that has been fixed. This has nothing to do with preying on children but everything with bad design by Apple and Google. When you talk about preying on little kids I mean planting the idea in a kid's head they have to it. So kids begging their parents for pitcoins for smurfberries because otherwise they can't progress in the Formula Smurf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 6:38 AM, BelgiumDude said:

What did I pay for? I bought a racing game and that is what I got. Is there anything you can buy that makes it a better racing game? No! I know what I paid for and what extra's I pay for. It's the same as buying a car. You pay for the car and you pay extra for all the options.

Oooooh this gives me an idea for F1 2021. What if we would have to pay real life cash to upgrade our car in My Team and then they could also charge us for ...  

Heading to the suggestion subforums as we speak 😈

Exactly the same example I was going to use.  To me, it's no different than buying a car.  Its one price as a standard vehicle, then there's a bunch of options you can pay extra for.  Even after market parts the manufacturer may sell after to "enhance" your vehicle or experience.    Same thing here, you bought the game.  It gives you access to the game itself.  Have fun.  There's soem additional options (that have ZERO to do with performance) in there that you can either pay more real money for, or using in game currency that you get for FREE if you choose to earn it simply by playing.

If the only option here was to buy them with real cash; I'd be bothered by it for sure. the fact I can unlock what I decide I want by playing and levelling up I'm fine with.  I do however wish that you could earn pitcoins in the weekly events like you earned the "cash" from last year to help pay for liveries.  I'm not sure why they've done away with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add my two cents. The main feature for this game that I've seen advertised is a seemingly (they certainly give that impression in the trailers) fully customisable create a team option. In the trailers you see tons of seemingly unique, fully customised cars and helmets etc. Yet having brought the game there are just a handful of very basic liveries with everything else locked behind a paywall. Its basically false advertising. They should have been clearer that upon buying the game you would gave to "earn" or buy the full array of liverys and helmets etc. Very bad practice. 

EA did this with this with the Star Wars game. Customers complained and made a big enough fuss that they backtracked. Makes me scratch my head how many in this forum are defending this. The advertising for this game was extremely misleading and gave a false impression of the options you would have available at purchase. 

If you accept it they will keep doing it. I suspect you will be able to update next years career car faster by paying extra etc. In following games expect improved multiplayer cars if you pull out your credit card. If you keep accepting it they will keep expanding it I promise you.

Edited by 1henryw
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They are not locked behind a paywall. They are locked like cosmetic items, powers, perks, somefancynameforafeature, ... in other games. You play the game, you level up and unlock a new item. You can buy DLC but it's not like you are stuck with the basic liveries you start your career with. This is not a case of 'if you accept this ...", we suggested it to codemasters. They gave what users were asking.

I'm not a fan of multiplayer. I paid for single career so why do they add multiplayer? And to defend my stance against multiplayer I will use kids as they are always the best victims to exploit for arguments. Multiplayer is bad for kids because they learn bad language and there are bad people on the internet. It should not be in the game. If we accept multiplayer in games more companies will start making multiplayer games. It is already that far that you can almost not find a game without multiplayer anymore. (sarcasm)

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not mind the microtransactions, podium pass and pitcoins if they had either:

a) give me a livery template, helmet template, and badge I actually liked, or

b) had all the items visible and once you acquire the right number of coins can purchase the livery, helmet and badge you want without waiting for it to rotate into the store or to be unlocked.

The reward items should be items that are more special, like a livery that is available only if you win Monaco, or for your 100th race victory etc. 

I would be less bothered I suppose if they had a badge, livery and helmet design I liked available right away for me team. They had them in 2019, so I had expected the same free ones to come to 2020, instead we got limted choices to launch My Team with.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

Just to add my two cents. The main feature for this game that I've seen advertised is a seemingly (they certainly give that impression in the trailers) fully customisable create a team option. In the trailers you see tons of seemingly unique, fully customised cars and helmets etc. Yet having brought the game there are just a handful of very basic liveries with everything else locked behind a paywall. Its basically false advertising. They should have been clearer that upon buying the game you would gave to "earn" or buy the full array of liverys and helmets etc. Very bad practice. 

EA did this with this with the Star Wars game. Customers complained and made a big enough fuss that they backtracked. Makes me scratch my head how many in this forum are defending this. The advertising for this game was extremely misleading and gave a false impression of the options you would have available at purchase. 

If you accept it they will keep doing it. I suspect you will be able to update next years career car faster by paying extra etc. In following games expect improved multiplayer cars if you pull out your credit card. If you keep accepting it they will keep expanding it I promise you.

As long as all those items are available to unlock by playing I don't see it as being behind paywall. To use car example from other members: you buy a car for which you saw in official video that it has 5 point seatbelt. But when you buy it you see it has regular seatbelt and manufacturer tells you "Drive through 3 traffic lights without breaking any law and you will get 5 point seatbelt". :classic_biggrin:

What they did here, for me is not more than what Forza Horizon has with their rewards. Where you can "buy" special cars with in game special currency which can be easily obtained by driving in game. F1 2020 and locked liveries/helmets are to me like achievements, small win like "winning 5 laps race" gives me a sense of achievement and on top of that gives real prize that I can use in game. So it gives a purpose to getting that win, not just to drive 5 laps and look at the same screen and on to next one.

  • Agree 5
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

But it is exactly the same practice free games use to entice people to pay for in game extras. I downloaded Mario Kart for free on my Samsung. Ridiculously slow to level up and u can get the best characters and cars straight away for £60. I accept this because I didbt pay anything for the game. I played it a ton, got a few lower level characters etc then got bored of it before I got near the best items.

The reason video game companies do this is to tempt people to spend extra. It's a tested and cynical psychological ploy and it works. Low hanging fruit and thought of "what's a couple of extra quid to get there wicked livery I saw in the trailer." Yet we have already paid £50 for the game. So cheeky that they did this but hey if you guys are happy with it dont complain when they expand it in the next game. 

Edited by 1henryw
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

But it is exactly the same practice free games use to entice people to pay for in game extras. I downloaded Mario Kart for free on my Samsung. Ridiculously slow to level up and u can get the best characters and cars straight away for £60. I accept this because I didbt pay anything for the game. I played it a ton, got a few lower level characters etc then got bored of it before I got near the best items.

As someone who does maybe 0.67 GP a day (from free practice to actual racing) I've been finding the unlocking rate surprisingly fast. And I only play My Team, having never gone off my path to do the extra objectives and challenges.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great that you are finding it fast to unlock stuff but it's not really the point. Why do you think they even give you the option to just pay to upgrade? Because they want you to do it. They hope people just pay to get the particular thing they want and many do. This is a quote from another forum member in another thread:

"The customisation options are very limited. I just paid to get the one wanted."

It works. People are paying extra for advertised content, having already paid the full price for the game. I think its realy shoddy practice by Codemasters. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@1henryw haha I know, mate! But that's the whole point for me, to be honest.

See, I don't care what other people do with their money and I don't find it reasonable to expect that publishers will come up with new revenue avenues for their business. As a gamer, all I care about is that my progress and enjoyment find no hindrance in whatever system they choose to implement.

As a dreamer I would love to have non-profit devs with unlimited budget releasing full featured games for free. As a content gamer, I'm happy with paying stock price and getting a satisfactory content package in the game – as has been the case with F1 2020 for me. As a discontent gamer, I hate when features feel cheap and it feels like I'm missing out for not paying extra money – that has not been the case with F1 2020, but is with FIFA and their Ultimate Team bling blang.

I know it is a fine balance between the last two scenarios and I know there must be people out there pending on the latter regarding this game, but how could I condone their complaints when I'm finding no artificial hindrance in my experience at all?

Again, that is the whole point for me, as an individual.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I get what youre saying to an extent 🙂 I have managed to create a decent enough looking car and helmet and I'm enjoying the improved gameplay alot. 

However I was very disappointed with the options when I first got the game. I think most people were so excited by the idea of this game because they saw the trailers with the customisable teams. I was against the my teams feature at first but I started to want the game when I saw the trailers and then Aariva or whatever his name is videos showing all the customisation options. I'd even picked out a livery etc. 

Then I got the game and there were barely any liveries I was like "Wow. What a con". I get that u can get them through gameplay but most people want to excitedly create their new team with all the cool options available at the start rather than having to play 2 or 3 seasons to get the exact things they want. Like I say I'm enjoying the game but it's a 3 star game not a 5 star game for me because I really feel this is such a dubious practice. 

Really not on in a game that is so expensive. I get they have to make money but they do. The F1 games are expensive and they sell well. Nothing but greed is the reason for this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...