Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×
F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

I am experiencing a rather excessive overheating of the tyres. No matter what setup changes I make to reduce tyre heat, nor change of driving style. This especially affects the front left tyre on at least the first 8 tracks that I have completed. This issue occurs in MyTeam and Grand Prix mode at the very least. I have asked others if they also experienced this and I got one other response that played on wheel, plus at least one YouTuber has mentioned experiencing the same issue: https://youtu.be/6y3_VdggGMY?t=1140

Within a lap I hit 105 degrees. Within another I hit about 110 and then remain between 105 and 112. See pictures that I took at the start of the race, and then at around each lap with some spikes at certain moments.

I think this is rather excessive and shouldn't occur. Though others have reported having no issues with it at all, which leads me to believe it being a bug.

For now, I temporarily fixed it by turning off carcass temperature, though it makes less fun driving like this.

2.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 

3.       Game-mode? 

MyTeam and Grand Prix at least.
4.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

Pretty much can replicate this 99% of the time.
5.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

I attempted to solve this issue through in-game means such as changing driving style and changing setups to favour less tyre heating.Unfortunately to no avail.
6.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Gamepad. Tested both on a Switch Pro controller as well as Xbox One V1 controller.
7.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

Mentioned by a YouTuber here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y3_VdggGMY 

20200711183728_1.jpg

20200711183908_1.jpg

20200711184027_1.jpg

20200711184044_1.jpg

20200711184145_1.jpg

20200711184207_1.jpg

• Agree 1

Could you add your setup? Are you running ABS on or off? Lock-ups? Maybe adding a video of the lap would help illustrate this

Posted (edited)

I could add my setup, but it has no influence on the tyre heating. I tried all sort of setups to try and mitigate this, but the effect is the same. Within two laps I hit 110 degrees. Tried changing tyre pressures from high to low. Tried changing the toe of the car, tried changing height of the car, really just about everything that was still remotely stable for the car to drive with (so no spins etc, as that would skew the results). Tried all sorts of tracks, but this occurs on most, if not all tracks.

Will try to change ABS settings and report back on the result. I think I have it on, so I will turn it off and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Did a quick test, ABS settings makes no difference. In fact, it makes it worse since I DO lockup almost every corner now. Considering that it doesn't make a difference I will just make a short 5-lap clip of me driving with breaking assist set to low. It just isn't somewhat elegant driving with ABS off. In that clip, I will show two different setups.

EDIT2: The video is being processed. Will post a new comment with the video link once it has completed upload on YouTube.

Edited by SirLion

As you have requested, here is an unlisted link to the video I made in which you can see me trying a custom setup as well as a default setup later on. I have also tried at the end to show how fast I would need to drive roughly to get the temperatures down to a reasonable level. And then I showed once again how fast it creeps to the threshold where the tyres go really bad.

https://youtu.be/_rT1zkdt47U

Lower your tire pressure...starting with them that high is for sure going to cause over heating.

Same with me, it’s near impossible to keep up with cars and I always end up dropping back and constantly battling with the car behind me. Tracks with very few corners (e.g. Austria, Italy) seem to be alright but tracks like Japan, Singapore and Abu Dhabi are brutal on the tyres. Hope this gets fixed ASAP.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, anthonyd5189 said:

Lower your tire pressure...starting with them that high is for sure going to cause over heating.

If you see the clip, I lowered the tyre pressure by changing to the default setup. The same issue occurs in roughly a similar timeframe. It almost identical. I have also tested on low tyre pressure for just the left side, and I still have the same identical issue where the tyre temperature just plainly soars within a couple of corners.

Edited by SirLion

If your having problems with tyres over heating just turn tyre carcass off that usually stops if you find your tyres overheat really quickly 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nightfire1964 said:

If your having problems with tyres over heating just turn tyre carcass off that usually stops if you find your tyres overheat really quickly 

I unfortunately had to do that, yes. But I didn't have this issue in F1 2019. And it also strikes me as odd when some others don't experience this, whilst some actually do. There seems to be more to this than meets the eye.

EDIT: And I just don't want to play it like this. I want to be able to do as much of the 'realism' as possible. This means doing things like using tyre temperatures.

Edited by SirLion

20 hours ago, SirLion said:

I could add my setup, but it has no influence on the tyre heating. I tried all sort of setups to try and mitigate this, but the effect is the same. Within two laps I hit 110 degrees. Tried changing tyre pressures from high to low. Tried changing the toe of the car, tried changing height of the car, really just about everything that was still remotely stable for the car to drive with (so no spins etc, as that would skew the results). Tried all sorts of tracks, but this occurs on most, if not all tracks.

Will try to change ABS settings and report back on the result. I think I have it on, so I will turn it off and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Did a quick test, ABS settings makes no difference. In fact, it makes it worse since I DO lockup almost every corner now. Considering that it doesn't make a difference I will just make a short 5-lap clip of me driving with breaking assist set to low. It just isn't somewhat elegant driving with ABS off. In that clip, I will show two different setups.

EDIT2: The video is being processed. Will post a new comment with the video link once it has completed upload on YouTube.

20 hours ago, SirLion said:

As you have requested, here is an unlisted link to the video I made in which you can see me trying a custom setup as well as a default setup later on. I have also tried at the end to show how fast I would need to drive roughly to get the temperatures down to a reasonable level. And then I showed once again how fast it creeps to the threshold where the tyres go really bad.

https://youtu.be/_rT1zkdt47U

@BarryBL Just in case you missed it :). If you require more tests, let me know. 

Mate Im sorry but your driving like someone purposefully trying to overheat your tyres! Steering looks like a keyboard. You went into every corner too fast and totally off line, slid wide and then round the entire corner on full lock trying to get back to the inside, while also on the gas! You need to turn off the simulation settings if you dont want the game to simulate what your driving would actually be doing to your car in reality if you drove like that.

Not that it would help much with current driving style but have you tried using the high downforce default setup at Hungary given it's literally described as a max downforce track? The default setup for max downforce puts the tyre pressures down almost to the very lowest settings which is what you do in real life at high downforce tracks.

16 minutes ago, veyronfan said:

Mate Im sorry but your driving like someone purposefully trying to overheat your tyres! Steering looks like a keyboard. You went into every corner too fast and totally off line, slid wide and then round the entire corner on full lock trying to get back to the inside, while also on the gas! You need to turn off the simulation settings if you dont want the game to simulate what your driving would actually be doing to your car in reality if you drove like that.

Not that it would help much with current driving style but have you tried using the high downforce default setup at Hungary given it's literally described as a max downforce track? The default setup for max downforce puts the tyre pressures down almost to the very lowest settings which is what you do in real life at high downforce tracks.

Well, for one, that is not how I normally drive. I was just focused on getting the video out to show the quick increase of tyre temperatures. Additionally, I didn't really have time to get the feel into it, because I had just gotten home from work and wanted to get this out ASAP. And even then, for me it is still not easy to roll with the trigger to get a smooth movement of the car. This isn't with a proper wheel. 

Furthermore, I did go back to F1 2019 and try the same thing over to see if it is a driving style issue or not. But I don't experience this issue there. The tyre temperatures remain within proper working range of around 97-100 degrees ish. May I also remind you that I've only made this report after I checked around whether others were experiencing similar issues with no apparent reason for the overheating of the frontleft trye on clockwise tracks. Even with different setups, both in-game as real life. Several experience this issue with the wheel as well. I have even tried two different controllers to see if it is a controller issue. The recordings were made with a Switch Pro Controller, but I also tested an Xbox One V1 controller, though that one is a tad worse due to a slight sticky drift issue with the left thumbstick. (Which is why I am using a Switch Pro controller primarily, as that is one I have available to me). The downside of the Switch Pro controller is that both the gas and break pedal pretty much have 2 options. Either it is at 0% or at 100%. I cannot gently use brake or gas without go like tapping the triggers. But so far it doesn't seem to be the case of a controller issue or otherwise.

But if you want me to replicate it to your liking, supply me with the setup you think I should use, the exact settings that I should use and possibly also the preferred controller (Xbox/Switch). As I said earlier, the Xbox controller is kinda on its last legs and needs to be replaced. Just waiting on a good sale or something to snag one new for a bit cheaper.

I have the same issue, also mostly with the left front and sometimes the right front depending on the track. 

Playing on the Xbox One X (1.02 version) with a controller, ABS on and medium traction control. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SirLion said:

Well, for one, that is not how I normally drive. I was just focused on getting the video out to show the quick increase of tyre temperatures. Additionally, I didn't really have time to get the feel into it, because I had just gotten home from work and wanted to get this out ASAP. And even then, for me it is still not easy to roll with the trigger to get a smooth movement of the car. This isn't with a proper wheel. 

Furthermore, I did go back to F1 2019 and try the same thing over to see if it is a driving style issue or not. But I don't experience this issue there. The tyre temperatures remain within proper working range of around 97-100 degrees ish. May I also remind you that I've only made this report after I checked around whether others were experiencing similar issues with no apparent reason for the overheating of the frontleft trye on clockwise tracks. Even with different setups, both in-game as real life. Several experience this issue with the wheel as well. I have even tried two different controllers to see if it is a controller issue. The recordings were made with a Switch Pro Controller, but I also tested an Xbox One V1 controller, though that one is a tad worse due to a slight sticky drift issue with the left thumbstick. (Which is why I am using a Switch Pro controller primarily, as that is one I have available to me). The downside of the Switch Pro controller is that both the gas and break pedal pretty much have 2 options. Either it is at 0% or at 100%. I cannot gently use brake or gas without go like tapping the triggers. But so far it doesn't seem to be the case of a controller issue or otherwise.

But if you want me to replicate it to your liking, supply me with the setup you think I should use, the exact settings that I should use and possibly also the preferred controller (Xbox/Switch). As I said earlier, the Xbox controller is kinda on its last legs and needs to be replaced. Just waiting on a good sale or something to snag one new for a bit cheaper.

When I drive Hungary on any of the previous games my front left overheats if I push round every long right hander on full lock at max speed, that's realistic. "no apparent reason for the overheating of the frontleft trye on clockwise tracks." The fact it's a clockwise track is literally the answer to that question? 

The entire 1st half of your response was you explaining why you basically drove in such a way as would Purposefully cause the front left to overheat. Again, if you drive in a way that should make that happen and you have the game set to SIMULATE reality then what you think is gonna happen? Until you can use a controller that doesn't have "either gas on or off" or doesn't have broken control sticks, and you learn to "roll with the triggers" don't get angry at the game for doing what its designed to do.

So I literally just booted up a 5 lap race at Hungary with all assists off, standard XBOX CONTROLLER, full simulation settings in cockpit cam, red bull, default max downforce setup option with ZERO changes and ran the race. I can't capture gameplay so had to use a replay and record as much as file size limit would allow to post to the forum using my phone camera. My front left tyre temp went up to a max of 99 during the entire first 4 laps and then on the 5th and final lap I pushed for fastest lap and it just nudged 100 coming out of the final corner.

What's wrong with that?

When I drive Hungary on any of the previous games my front left overheats if I push round every long right hander on full lock at max speed, that's realistic. "no apparent reason for the overheating of the frontleft trye on clockwise tracks." The fact it's a clockwise track is literally the answer to that question? 

When I drive in Hungary the way I normally do, which is a bit more refined, I don't experience this overheating issue. Even if I push round the long right hander on full lock max speed. Most time, I lift at approx the apex point, so no braking nor giving gas. Once I am about to exit the corner, I start to speed up again. Don't get me wrong, I am a pretty average driver. Nothing close to a proper RL driver at least. So, I don't experience this issue in older F1 games with a similar enough driving style, but I do have this issue in this game. So no, the fact that it is a clockwise track doesn't explain the sudden disparity and extreme overheating of the tyre. Yes, in the older versions, there is an increase of heat in the left front tyre on clockwise tracks, but the difference is within 5 degrees and temperatures remain manageable.

The entire 1st half of your response was you explaining why you basically drove in such a way as would Purposefully cause the front left to overheat. 

No, I explained why I drove the way I did. I wasn't purposely driving in to induce extra heat in the front left tyre. Don't read into things that aren't there. Don't make it fit your preconceived conclusions.

Again, if you drive in a way that should make that happen and you have the game set to SIMULATE reality then what you think is gonna happen? Until you can use a controller that doesn't have "either gas on or off" or doesn't have broken control sticks, and you learn to "roll with the triggers" don't get angry at the game for doing what its designed to do.

I can understand that you think that, but that is simply not the case. Even when I drive somewhat more smoothly, with better control on brakes/gas pedals through Xbox controller, etc. I -STILL- experience this issue. You also seem to conveniently ignore that others have experienced this issue as well, whom have different playstyles and equipment. Meaning, it isn't isolated to just me. In my opening post, I gave a link where a YouTuber, who mainly plays F1 games, denotes the same issue and you can see his driving style on a wheel.

So I literally just booted up a 5 lap race at Hungary with all assists off, standard XBOX CONTROLLER, full simulation settings in cockpit cam, red bull, default max downforce setup option with ZERO changes and ran the race. I can't capture gameplay so had to use a replay and record as much as file size limit would allow to post to the forum using my phone camera. My front left tyre temp went up to a max of 99 during the entire first 4 laps and then on the 5th and final lap I pushed for fastest lap and it just nudged 100 coming out of the final corner.

Great to hear that you don't seem to experience this issue. I think that goes for most people. And you clearly can play better than I do. Props to that. So I went and try to mimick your driving style and setup and still within a couple of laps I hit over 105 degrees, at which point of course you will slide around more when trying to take the corners...

I have been trying to exclude drivers error before posting this in the first place, because it is the most obvious to look for. It wasn't until after that I heard other people struggling with seemingly similar issues that I did attempt to reach out.

Is my driving in that clip shoddy? Absolutely. Is it the reason for the overheating? No, I don't believe so given what I have tried to do myself to rule this out and seen others doing and experiencing the same.

If your driving in the clip is shoddy and that's what is causing the issue why upload it as evidence of the issue. Please upload a clip of you driving in the more smooth and refined way that you described with the setup I suggested, as you asked for, and show what happens please. 

On the older games I drive the same as I did in my clip which even you admitted was "clearly better" and in races I always had my front left going orange if I pushed too hard for too long. In this game the extremes are better modelled, in both directions. So if you REALLY scrub the tyre it REALLY heats up, but if you look after it better it actually DOESN'T heat up or wear as bad as previous games. The amount of esports f1 players I've already seen talking about f1 2020 and the fact that "tyre wear isn't anywhere near as scripted as 2019" or words to that effect is quite staggering. 

This game does a better job of simulating real F1 than previous games if you set it to SIMULATION mode. If you drive even slightly hard round Hungary in reality the front left burns, we've seen and heard that from real F1 for years now. If you don't want it to simulate realistically what your doing then turn the sim settings down or off. The fact the previous games did a WORSE job of simulating tyre temps is not a negative on this game, it's a positive of this game and a negative of the old games.

Again, please just show us a real representation of the issue your having so we can make accurate and fair judgement on it. An over dramatisation doesn't help. Ty

"gave a link where a YouTuber, who mainly plays F1 games, denotes the same issue and you can see his driving style on a wheel." Mate I just finally found the bit of this vid where he says about the tyres and he literally says exactly what I just did lol. He said "in this game you need to lower the tyre pressures", "the tyre pressures have more of an effect in this game" and "in hindsight I should have lowered them more". His front left goes yellow through the massive high speed double right handers, where EVERY F1 DRIVER is told to look after the front left!, at full speed and nearly full lock lap after lap, in a back marker car, and that's your idea of a problem with the game? It's doing exactly what it's supposed to!!! Full speed, lots of lock lap after lap through 1 of the most tyre killing sections of race track on the F1 calender, on full simulation settings, with a setup he admits wasn't quite optimal, and they go yellow..... and that's wrong?

Ok

If your driving in the clip is shoddy and that's what is causing the issue why upload it as evidence of the issue. Please upload a clip of you driving in the more smooth and refined way that you described with the setup I suggested, as you asked for, and show what happens please. 

I have already explained, it is not. I am having this issue IRRESPECTIVE of the driving style. Even when I drive a lot more smoothly (similarly to your clip) and have some warm-up beforehand, the tyres are still getting too hot way too fast with over 105 degrees in a few laps. Granted, it takes about a lap or so longer to hit 105+ than with that shoddy driving, but it does regardless. And once it is in that overheating range, it gets more difficult to get it cooled down.

2 hours ago, SirLion said:

I have already explained, it is not. I am having this issue IRRESPECTIVE of the driving style. Even when I drive a lot more smoothly (similarly to your clip) and have some warm-up beforehand, the tyres are still getting too hot way too fast with over 105 degrees in a few laps. Granted, it takes about a lap or so longer to hit 105+ than with that shoddy driving, but it does regardless. And once it is in that overheating range, it gets more difficult to get it cooled down.

Ok and again I'd like to see an example of this happening that ISN'T caused by shoddy driving. I don't see why you uploaded a vid to supppsedly demonstrate your problem of tyres overheating in a situation that you believe they shouldn't that only demonstrates the tyres overheating in a situation where they ABSOLUTELY SHOULD BE?

It's a bit like me reporting a problem with my cars brakes saying that when I brake normally/gently they go full on and then when I demonstrate the issue to the mechanic I drive forward and then stamp full force on the pedal and go "see what they did".

It's a Sim/arcade game that's trying to be a better sim when you set everything to SIM. If you want it to be more like an arcade game like the previous versions then turn the sim settings down..... don't complain that there's something wrong with a game thats simulating the real world too well when you ask it to lol

Posted (edited)

Tyre over heating was already an issue from F1 2018, F1 2019 was the same, any setup you make its over heating. And its still happen in 2020.

This making the tyre strategy unbalanced on long race distance. Code master need to take a look to how balance tyre life / over heating on some track. Some tyre are useless to use because of short life and low performance given cause of over heating

If you start on the soft tyre on hunagry you are comited to a 2 stop strategy. And people starting P11 with medium will overtake you easy in pit stop strategy 

Edited by ZixClon

8 minutes ago, ZixClon said:

Tyre over heating was already an issue from F1 2018, F1 2019 was the same, any setup you make its over heating. And its still happen in 2020.

This making the tyre strategy unbalanced on long race distance. Code master need to take a look to how balance tyre life / over heating on some track. Some tyre are useless to use because of short life and low performance given cause of over heating

If you start on the soft tyre on hunagry you are comited to a 2 stop strategy. And people starting P11 with medium will overtake you easy in pit stop strategy 

Literally every real race at hungary since Pirelli came in lol. 

In previous games setup and driving style only made a minor difference to how much they overheated. You had to go waaaay to slow to keep the front left in check round Hungary. On F1 2020 if you adjust setup appropriately, lower the pressure on the correct individual tyre (front left at hungary) and just back off a little bit at the worst long right handers, it actually stays very much under control. I even tested it myself and posted a vid of how I was driving and the tyre never even went anything but green on the mfd.

This is off the top of my head, purely from experience:

If your tyres are overheating and you use a pad, switch to Tyre Surface Only in Gameplay settings, that's what it's there for.

If you use a wheel, then try and drive more smoothly and lower your tyre pressures - especially the front left, or front right for anti-clockwise circuits. Bear in mind that the lower the tyre pressure, the more wear you'll get.

You could also try softening the anti-roll bars. The stiffer they are, the more pressure is being put onto the tyres through a corner.

If you still have problems, then switch to Tyre Surface Only.