F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Cataluntya AI (My team mode)

So, I have been slowly tweaking up the AI difficulty as I try to find a good balance (something I can run default setups on and still run where I feel I should be) I had it too low for Australia, Bahrain and Vietnam (kept going up by 5 after each race) China I thought I had it close and left it for Zandvoort as I've never raced on that track before in any game, but wound up running too well there too lol.

Still, decided not to change it and see how Catalunya went, and I got utterly smoked lol. Went from Ql around 14th-18th and finishing 10th/9th/9th to QL 22 and running 20th and falling back to the AI in 19th lol I eventually just pulled off into the pits and retired, no point in wasting engine wear for a 20th place run lol. I was trying to find a difficulty where I run around 13th-17th range, so I was about to up it again and see how that felt, but now that I got smoked at Catalunya lol... Is the AI overly fast there? Or are the early tracks all slow lol? 

This issue has been present since the early games. AI level feels very inconsistent track to track and makes impossible to run a consistently fair full season.

10 minutes ago, emori said:

This issue has been present since the early games. AI level feels very inconsistent track to track and makes impossible to run a consistently fair full season.

I never noticed it this bad. I know some tracks I've struggled at more than others, but generally I'd be within 5 spots. I was more than 10 positions down over the previous race lol. At a track I know well at that lol.

Never played 2019, so idk about that one. Last one I played was 2018.

Posted (edited)

This is the reason why i check out the AI on all tracks before i step up into career mode (or now MyTeam-Mode). I hate bad surprises. Especially in F120xx Games because it is a lot of work and time consuming to play through my career. Before I even look at this mode, I drive on all tracks beforehand and test the AI strength I need per track.

Hamilton is the strongest driver in F1 2020 and he has the best car, his team-mate is Bottas. For this reason, I drive every track in Grand Prix mode with the Bottas-Mercedes until I am at a performance level with Hamilton. Then I make an Excel spreadsheet and enter all AI levels for each track. As soon as that is done, I will drive my career (MyTeam). That takes time, of course, but it also prevents me from getting frustrated in the career mode. There is nothing worse than noticing after 5-10 races that the career is completely frustrating because I am suddenly either too fast or too slow.

Edited by ndrst

Well, I had a full wet race at Monaco, and ended 12th, so I think Spain may just be poorly balanced or something.

I really don't want to have to continuously change the difficulty lol, so I guess what I may have to do if I still run **** at Spain next season, is actually break down, and try to make a setup for just that track, rather than mess with the difficulty level. But if that doesn't work, then I guess I'll have little choice but to alter the difficulty or DNF every time lol.

11 hours ago, ndrst said:

This is the reason why i check out the AI on all tracks before i step up into career mode (or now MyTeam-Mode). I hate bad surprises. Especially in F120xx Games because it is a lot of work and time consuming to play through my career. Before I even look at this mode, I drive on all tracks beforehand and test the AI strength I need per track.

Hamilton is the strongest driver in F1 2020 and he has the best car, his team-mate is Bottas. For this reason, I drive every track in Grand Prix mode with the Bottas-Mercedes until I am at a performance level with Hamilton. Then I make an Excel spreadsheet and enter all AI levels for each track. As soon as that is done, I will drive my career (MyTeam). That takes time, of course, but it also prevents me from getting frustrated in the career mode. There is nothing worse than noticing after 5-10 races that the career is completely frustrating because I am suddenly either too fast or too slow.

Would you be willing to share your results? I would like to replicate your approach as I believe it would work reasonably well for me as well.

Remember to take your team vs other teams development progression into account.

2 hours ago, Tay said:

And also wear of parts as that will slow cars down at varying rates. 

On 7/12/2020 at 8:26 AM, Tay said:

There'd been no major changes between races.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:10 AM, Ukbordoy said:

And also wear of parts as that will slow cars down at varying rates. 

I had actually just fitted all new engine parts lol. Its actually why I pulled off and retired from the race when I did, saw no reason to wear out brand new parts to finish 20th lol.

I'm thinking Catalunya is not balanced well, as the 3 races prior were top 10 runs and the 3 races since were a 12th at Monaco in the wet, a 9th at Baku and a top 10 in Canada as well. Now I've got a big upgrade complete going into france so I will probably crash out because I don't know the track lol, and then have to up the difficulty again to make sure I don't win just yet lol.

I don't get why anyone would intentionally crash out or retire. You get more acclaim for finishing the race. 

You just need to adjust your expectations that's all. I've got Spain next in my career race and even its a race at the back of the grid then so be it. I have my team mate, the Williams, the Haas cars and my rival to try to beat. 

On 7/13/2020 at 12:30 PM, rocojuanclarkus said:

I don't get why anyone would intentionally crash out or retire. You get more acclaim for finishing the race. 

You just need to adjust your expectations that's all. I've got Spain next in my career race and even its a race at the back of the grid then so be it. I have my team mate, the Williams, the Haas cars and my rival to try to beat. 

Because I have a life outside of gaming, as well as other games I want to play and don't want to waste my time driving around pointlessly, when I could move on to another track and not only not waste my free time not having fun, but also not unnecessarily wear out my parts (in real life as well, why put wear on 1000s of dollars of equipment, for a minuscule amount of "acclaim" in game lol ), giving me a better shot at competing better in later races.

Acclaim doesn't go up enough in one race to waste my free time loitering at the back of the field with no hope of gaining any spots.

You can waste your time all you like, I have better things to do.

Anyway ...

Lower your downforce. After further testing, I'm almost certain that was my main issue. Between being down on power being in a low tier team and too high downforce, I lost way too much time on the straights.

2 hours ago, DarkRedslayer said:

Because I have a life outside of gaming, as well as other games I want to play and don't want to waste my time driving around pointlessly, when I could move on to another track and not only not waste my free time not having fun, but also not unnecessarily wear out my parts (in real life as well, why put wear on 1000s of dollars of equipment, for a minuscule amount of "acclaim" in game lol ), giving me a better shot at competing better in later races.

Acclaim doesn't go up enough in one race to waste my free time loitering at the back of the field with no hope of gaining any spots.

You can waste your time all you like, I have better things to do.

I don't see it as wasting my time, I actually finished 10th! 🙂

On 7/11/2020 at 10:32 PM, DarkRedslayer said:

So, I have been slowly tweaking up the AI difficulty as I try to find a good balance (something I can run default setups on and still run where I feel I should be) I had it too low for Australia, Bahrain and Vietnam (kept going up by 5 after each race) China I thought I had it close and left it for Zandvoort as I've never raced on that track before in any game, but wound up running too well there too lol.

Still, decided not to change it and see how Catalunya went, and I got utterly smoked lol. Went from Ql around 14th-18th and finishing 10th/9th/9th to QL 22 and running 20th and falling back to the AI in 19th lol I eventually just pulled off into the pits and retired, no point in wasting engine wear for a 20th place run lol. I was trying to find a difficulty where I run around 13th-17th range, so I was about to up it again and see how that felt, but now that I got smoked at Catalunya lol... Is the AI overly fast there? Or are the early tracks all slow lol? 

For me they were too easy 

On 7/12/2020 at 5:40 PM, Laahustaja1 said:

Would you be willing to share your results? I would like to replicate your approach as I believe it would work reasonably well for me as well.

I also use the same approach. I drive as Bottas in the Mercedes in Grand Prix mode, and I start from the back with Hamilton leading the race. Ideally, you would want Hamilton to be leasing without any damage, and you at the back. I don’t know what ndrst does, but I normally wait until the Ai are halfway around the racetrack, and then I start to drive. You would want to compare your times when you run in clean air. Obviously the best way to do that, is to have Hamilton leading while you are at the back, and with the same tyre compounds. It works pretty nice, and it is also fun, as you get to come theough the field. 

This works well for the first stint. After pitstops, the comparison could vary. But at least, this test has been great for me since F1 2019. 

I think Spain has always been one of the AI's stronger tracks. I think another one is Suzuka

Posted (edited)

The AI is easy on Catalunya. It was the same in the previous games. It also makes no sense to give up and quit after investing time in a race weekend.

Edited by MikeV27

Austria and China have issues with AI too. Most other circuits I’m in and around 16th place but when I’ve qualified for these two on my team I’m up in 10th and I wouldn’t say I’m all that great at China. Bit of balancing needed I think 

Posted (edited)

Just in general the AI is slow in the high speed stuff, especially when it’s an ‘S’ sequence of corners. This has been something I’ve noticed in this series for many years now.

Edited by MikeV27