F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Never bought Grid due to being Arcade but this one look good, but please

Make the AI challenging other wise its going to boooooooooring....

Just saw Darin Video on insidesimtv, and he just ran away from AI .... no competition at all.......... 

He is also extremely good. I'm sure the majority of people will not be able to beat him. And there lies your answer, if the ai is too easy, race online. Someone there will probably own you :)

He's playing on hard isn't he? On very hard the AI do put up a fight, but experienced and skilled racers will always find a way of beating whatever we throw at them :)

Out of interest, how hard would you want it?

Like GRID.  On keyboard at Savage (2nd from Extreme, the hardest) and assists off, except Traction Control on, I can usually win except beating Ravenwest requires lots of restarts.  Leaves the challenge of upping difficulty to the last notch and/or turning off Traction Control, either of which make it very difficult to win.  With all assists off at Extreme I can still drive the car, but winning is pretty much impossible.  And that's the way it should be, I think.  Settings can be adjusted to where anyone can win, but difficulty options are sufficient to always have something more to achieve, at least at my level of driving.  Just make GRID the reference and you can't go too far wrong.

Frank

Thanks for your answers Crimson and Loore,  I do agree....someone will beat me online.. but I have wife, kids, job, etc.... And lot of time don't have time to play online..... I love F1 as that's my true passion so I play F1 2013 on career mode , at least 15 min every night.... 

Loore , I can run with the leaders on F1 2013 on legend.... but can't just blow them away unless I make setup , or am in a good car (top three teams) .... The legend AI on F1 2013 is pretty good, if I can one mistake I am passed, like that would be good......

Think about it....I have been play racing games since Grand Prix 3, 4 etc.... and the AI is GP4 is still amazing and people still play that game......  

If codemasters want Grid on rise, they have already taken a step forward as I hear with 60/40 sim like handling..... If they make the AI slow and stupid, that will ruin it.... So if the AI is as good as F1 2013 on legend.... should be good challenge....

Also very happy you guys a codemaster listen to us....

I still rate the AI on Grid 1 as some of the best AI I've had to beat; Touring Cars on Ninja difficulty was always a fun session for me and they weren't afraid of bumping me. Even with a wheel I've had to do 15+ lap races to be able to get from mid-pack to first.

The AI in Grid 2 and from what I've seen from GAS so far look lacklustre ... they brake too early and on lower difficulties they don't go full-throttle in straights ... something that they didn't do in Grid 1. They always floored it on straights even on Easy ... they were just crap around corners. I feel cheated when I pass the AI because they're deliberately coasting and not because they made a mistake or screwed up a corner. Likewise I feel cheated when they suddenly accelerate at 110% to catch back up, or have obscenely powerful cornering grip.

I hope they're like that in GAS; difficulty should affect their driving ability, not making them throttle-feather on straights. Very few games make believable and yet challenging AI; so far I've only felt that way from Grid 1 and ... Destruction Derby 2.

Even if it's a hidden difficulty like Ninja was ... something comparable to that would be intense. Here's hoping.

I also did forgot to mention to Codies.. about good force feedback...... I don't play racing games with controller , never have , never will....

Please good feeling of the road, bumps, etc..... 

The only times I've noticed AI cars coasting along at a low speed in GRID is well into a race and I just assume they are going slow due to damage - tires, engine or suspension.

Frank

@Loore‌, i was playing V8 supercars 3 on the ps2 last week and this game has a difficulty slider from i think 50 or 60% being easy and up to 120% and i was playing on 105% and it was so fun, battling with the ai and was very clean, i understand that it would be way to late to change this but that would be awsome, everyone thats seen the gameplay from youtubers on GAS remember it is ONLY a preview, there is constant changes and little tweaks to the game, i havent seen anyone play on very hard yet anyways. The game is looking sogood!

Just heard from the team and they've confirmed that AI difficulty has had a few tweaks since the preview build (which is where all the videos are coming from). The team have spent a lot of late hours working on the AI, one of the difficulties this time around is because of how organic they are, in terms of their behaviour on the track. 

The AI is now super-competitive on very hard, and harder across the board, with performance in line with our benchmark times - good luck :)

We talk a little about the work that goes into the AI over on the blog.

Loore said:
Just heard from the team and they've confirmed that AI difficulty has had a few tweaks since the preview build (which is where all the videos are coming from). The team have spent a lot of late hours working on the AI, one of the difficulties this time around is because of how organic they are, in terms of their behaviour on the track. 

The AI is now super-competitive on very hard, and harder across the board, with performance in line with our benchmark times - good luck :)

Hmmm, I'm not liking the sound of that simply because in every Codemasters game using this engine the A.I have been cheating bastards. I like to play my racing games with no assists, full sim (unless it's a fully arcade one) and maximum difficulty but in both Grid and F1 the A.I do not race with the same physics as the player.

The only reason it's not a problem in Dirt is because the assists don't change the grip levels and make the car faster. In GRID 1 it was the Stability Control option I believe which gave a ridiculous amount of extra grip when turned on making it seconds faster per lap so there were some tracks where I literally could not win no matter how much I tried because the A.I were impossibly fast relative to me with no assists.

Now where it really infuriates me is in F1, a game all about driving a lot of laps and judging your pace to save tyres, fuel etc etc. now that all goes out the window when the A.I again have a shit ton more grip and are flying around the high speed corners at speeds that are literally impossible for you to match. As soon as you turn off tyre simulation everything is fine because you are able to again go seconds faster per lap, so if you want fair A.I you have to turn off tyre simulation in an F1 game, SERIOUSLY and that is why F1 2013 is the first Codemasters game I have not bought after trying the free weekend on Steam as it's still the same!

That brings us to Grid 2 a game I thought would be free from this issue since it has no assists but I don't even know WTF happened there. There is definite rubberbanding in the Face-Off events that's for sure but then in some of the others they seem scripted to be a certain speed and take corners at unbelievable speeds and angles. I still haven't completed the singleplayer because it's just an absolute joke when I keep losing a race to Harrison Carter and check the leaderboards to find my race time is in the top 15 (including the cheaters)!

Apologise for my first post back on the new forums being so negative but honestly it just ruins the singleplayer for me when I know the A.I are essentially cheating as they aren't running on the same physics/rules as I am. I have already pre-ordered Autosport but I will be really disappointed if it suffers the same issue and will not be pre-ordering any of the 'next-gen' games if it does as much as I enjoy the actual driving.

Whilst on the subject of cheaters what is being done this time about all the leaderboard cheats? I don't know if it's just endemic of PC racing game ports given I've only been playing on PC for the last 18 months but I completely lost the desire to try for good times in Grid 2, especially in the global events where I could have the best score only for a few cheating wankers to impossibly double it or complete it in 10s.

Other than that keep up the good work guys, it's great that you are still pumping out AAA sim/arcade games when all the others bar NFS have been going the way of the dodo.

Loore said:

This made a big smile on my face.   :D
Thank you very much for doing that.   

Loore said:

@Loore

Hope it's not so hard that those using assists can't keep up though I had enough trouble with that on Grid 1. How is it looking at the other end of the Ai spectrum on Easy/Very easy as that's the levels I generally play on. and with the way that F1 2013's AI is in comparison to the assists in that game I think my concerns are warranted

Loore said:

@Loore

Hope it's not so hard that those using assists can't keep up though I had enough trouble with that on Grid 1. How is it looking at the other end of the Ai spectrum on Easy/Very easy as that's the levels I generally play on. and with the way that F1 2013's AI is in comparison to the assists in that game I think my concerns are warranted

You should be fine :) The game provides a nice balance throughout all the difficulty settings and as you mentioned, there's assists there for those that want to use them.

Loore said:
Loore said:

@Loore

You should be fine :) The game provides a nice balance throughout all the difficulty settings and as you mentioned, there's assists there for those that want to use them.
Thanks Loore just wanted to make sure that us slower guys aren't forgotten about is all like we were with F1 2013 as the the Amateur Level's a bit of a mess in that game whereas it was fine in the earlier one's because the assists just don't work at the same pace as Amateur on that game

RobertKNL said:
Today I tried the first Grid for the first time. I liked the AI, but not the handling. Not one bit to be honest. I somewhat enjoyed the first couple of American races, sliding around the streets about with real American Muscle, but later on, with the Lamborghini race around Washington, really annoyed me. I have so little control over the car, even though I (eventually) turned on all assists (except for the braking assist, but that would be awful). I keep sliding through the corners and lose control the second I even look at the grass (slightly exaggerated, but you get the point.) 

Then I tought, 'well, maybe the touring in Europe is more up my alley', but again, I just barely managed to get the Porsche across the line.

My only other real experiences with racing games were the Shift games (loved the first, the second was alright) and F1 2012 and 2013. I know racecars don't handle like F1 cars, but in those F1 games I had much more control over the cars. How will this be in GAS? Sliding around corners like the first Grid, or a bit more controlled and 'professional' like the F1 games? 

I think that's something I'd like to know too. If it handles like the Shift games then I think we'll all be OK as I like and play those too in fact I'm playing them in practice for this. I think Shift would be a better benchmark given F1 has a more late breaker style to it as you can brake quite late in F1 as I use that tactic a fair bit to make up places myself. you can't really use this method quite so much in the other disciplines as those cars have a much different handling style. You can still outbrake people but you do need to brake earlier obviously in a touring car than with an F1 car.

I struggled with the first Grid as well. Grid 2 they did Ok with difficulty wise I think even if it was a little arcadey and the career mode was a little too short but taking that out the equation it was still for the most part a good fun game. I know that in terms of career structure and handling it's leaning more back Grid 1's way.

@loore can you shed any further light on this?

I was playing Race Driver GRID today, on a nostalgia trip and the cars are quite slidey. In Autosport you have more of a connection with the road, if that makes sense? Certainly doesn't feel as slidey to me and you've deffinitely got a lot more control over the car. There's definitely an element of 'professional' racing like @RobertKNL‌ describes.

@ RobertKNL

Sounds like you need to spend some time tuning your Advanced Settings.  The default settings suck, and time spent tuning them pays off.  And they will vary from one PC to another.  Driving GRID was difficult for me as well until I got the settings right.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player; GRID since 2008.

FurnaceInferno for me on Grid, they didn't cheat. Then again I never played without assists off because I can't use my G27 with pedals (and thus have very poor throttle control) but it seems that they all use the default assists regardless of whether you do or don't, which might explain the difference between running with stability control on or off.

I find them far more cheaty on grid 2, though. I've seen them take touring cars around the hairpins on brands hatch at 60-70* angles, full opposite lock and in 4th gear (apparently) ... 100+mph. Try doing that in a touring car and the car just takes you by the arm and puts you up past the guard fence without bothering to say a word. :l

But, regardless, given that now you can qualify for positions on GAS, it makes sense that the AI should be more difficult on higher settings - whereas in Grid 1 and 2 you have to fight from the back usually, you can now start 1st and if the AI were of the same quality as on Grid 2 you'd quickly drop them within a couple corners.

I look forwards to their competitiveness. If they're done right, offline play will be an absolute blast. :)

KazzyMac said:
FurnaceInferno for me on Grid, they didn't cheat. Then again I never played without assists off because I can't use my G27 with pedals (and thus have very poor throttle control) but it seems that they all use the default assists regardless of whether you do or don't, which might explain the difference between running with stability control on or off.

I find them far more cheaty on grid 2, though. I've seen them take touring cars around the hairpins on brands hatch at 60-70* angles, full opposite lock and in 4th gear (apparently) ... 100+mph. Try doing that in a touring car and the car just takes you by the arm and puts you up past the guard fence without bothering to say a word. :l

But, regardless, given that now you can qualify for positions on GAS, it makes sense that the AI should be more difficult on higher settings - whereas in Grid 1 and 2 you have to fight from the back usually, you can now start 1st and if the AI were of the same quality as on Grid 2 you'd quickly drop them within a couple corners.

I look forwards to their competitiveness. If they're done right, offline play will be an absolute blast. :)

Yeh, you would be fine if you had all assists on given you are on a level playing field as the A.I run with them on regardless, usually that isn't a problem when assists work properly but in GRID and F1 it just increases or decreases grip. I'm not sure if it is just an over site that was not even considered but there is nothing worse than absolutely nailing a corner only for the A.I to fly right past going faster than is possible for you.

I didn't actually realise until I played online and was getting beaten more often than usual and my leaderboard times started plummeting so it wasn't obvious in GRID 1 but once you know it's there it's impossible not to notice, it is however especially noticeable in F1 when the A.I start matching your pole position qualifying time on supposedly worn tyres!

Like you say GRID 2 is just blatant, although it's not at all consistent which forced me to lower the difficulty as sometimes they were impossibly quick getting times faster than the worlds fastest and sometimes they would be dog slow.

Regardless I am looking forward to Autosport I'll still get a good 100+ hours out of it like all the others, I just hope my main frustration with current ego engine racing games (minus Dirt) has been removed.

Hello Loore.... I hope this is not the final version as he just drove by everyone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9PJaGTUEV8

Hello Loore.... I hope this is not the final version as he just drove by everyone...

No, our AI has improved since that build. They'll give a lot more of a challenge now :)

this is just a preview build given out to promote the game not the actual final version I'm sure the final one will be more to our liking

For me, GRID was fair on Extreme and even Ninja difficulty given the following condition:
Stability Control was turned ON.

Why? This coughed up more front end grip, enough that with skill you can take corners just as fast, if not a little faster than the AI. Otherwise even Serious difficulty was too hard for winning Le Mans or any race at Okutama with ALL of the assists off.