Jump to content

2nd Driver

Recommended Posts

This whole thing is really confusing.  There is no way to tell what gives what sort of boost really.   Schumacher is my teammate but im at my first contract renewal with about 9m cash on hand that I saved for the contract renewal period because I didnt knwo what to expect.  His rating is the same as it was when I started the season despite me investing some time into weekly activities for him as well as the facility that impacts the 2nd driver.   He's still no better, so I'm ready to fire him and maybe us some of that cash to steal a driver from another team.  One with a higher EXP rating to help me earn resource points quicker to develop the car... Like a Grosjean (the thought of that gives me chills)

IS there at least some form of clarity right nwo as to what does what?  Mick has +5 in green boxes next to his ratings.  Where did that come from? What upgrade did I do to get that?  And if his EXP rating was a 30 and there is a +5 next to it does that mean it's techinically 35 for him now?

I'm not sure why Codies couldnt have put put a video or tutorial somewhere in the game to explain the ins and outs of this new mode.   I spent some time last night turing off autosave simply so I could go in, hire a new driver & see what translates over, but it shouldn't have to be trial and error for us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am coming up to my contract renegotiation as well. My driver’s rating are lower than others asking for less money than he is. As I understand it, the 2nd driver’s acclaim adds to my team’s acclaim which has an impact on sponsorship money. So the question is the balance between a better driver and one that is better known and more likely to bring in more money by the end of the season.

Assuming I understand the choice correctly and that acclaim works that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Hi everyone,

Green '+' figures on the game and driver indicates a temporary boost on the drivers stats compared to natural development of the driver. We are looking at improving this system to make it clearer to people on what is temporary and a permanent upgrade to the stats.

So with other words... most activities are just temporary boosts for that weekend (at least most of them are put on the green + side)?

If so that kinda is a waste of time then.

Because if it only increases for example their racing stat by +1 for that weekend realistically seen it really won't make much of a difference for the race honestly. More like none.

You'd be better off putting something else on the activity board like resource points/department morale or team/driver acclaim or money.

Because in the long run you'd have to buy another existing F1 driver from the roster anyway because at the pace the F2 drivers increase their permanent stats (and they do, but very slowly apparently as I have noticed) it would take like 5 seasons already that they would eventually be competitive with the last guys down on the 2020 F1 Roster (except for Latifi maybe who is worse than Nyck de Vries already on season start)

Edited by MeduSalem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MeduSalem said:

If so that kinda is a waste of time then.

Because if it only increases for example their racing stat by +1 for that weekend realistically seen it really won't make much of a difference for the race honestly. More like none.

I agree and as a result I didn't spent a single day on those temporary activities. However, I assume the boost will be greater once you have your facilities spec'd up. Just imagine having a drivers or constructors championship hanging over a single race and gaining a +5 temporary boost to your 2nd driver stats later on season 3 or whatever.

It should be clearer from the get go, but I guess there are reasons for such a system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, marioho said:

I agree and as a result I didn't spent a single day on those temporary activities. However, I assume the boost will be greater once you have your facilities spec'd up. Just imagine having a drivers or constructors championship hanging over a single race and gaining a +5 temporary boost to your 2nd driver stats later on season 3 or whatever.

It should be clearer from the get go, but I guess there are reasons for such a system. 

Yeah, I guess then it might make sense. But by then you probably have upgraded the facility which passively-permanently boosts your 2nd driver stats to level 3 each.

And maybe even bought an actually competitive 2nd driver from the market. Somebody like Norris or Albon which don't cost yet that much but have very good stats for their acclaim/money.

If they carry home at least 4-8 points every race you can beat Mercedes at the constructors championship without any problems in the 2nd or 3rd season already.

I could have beaten them on my first season already if I had only one such upper-midfield guy since I am the one who wins the races anyway and the only problem is the constant 2nd and 3rd place finishes of Hamilton and Bottas (even if they retire 1-3 times early on in the season by a matter of chance) which you can never set off all by yourself.

You will lose the first constructors championship by a small margin. In the most it is 20-40 points or something if you manage to win (almost) every race an the drivers championship.

At least I have no problems with the drivers championship. But that is also because I am not playing on the most difficult settings (still in the progress of figuring something out that makes it interesting but not too difficult, like increasing difficulty by 5% every half a season)

Edited by MeduSalem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MeduSalem good points, but I still think this may come in handy depending on how you approach things. I mean, unless your driver has a 95 rating in a given stat (assuming the max is 99), he will always benefit from a +5 temporary boost. I am not playing with this in mind but if such a scenario comes in, I know I have the temp boost in handy if need be.

On your AI level, when I started playing (AI 19) I was increasing the difficulty after every GP. You just need to know how to benchmark yourself. On Career mode it is relatively easy: you set the AI so that you're always running around 0.1 second close to your teammate and it doesn't matter if on a given difficulty you're sometimes ahead and sometimes behind in. I'm talking about Qualy times, by the way.

On My Team it is harder to know as you most certainly are expected to perform (way) better than a F2 teammate, so maybe use one rival team driver as a benchmark and try to stay on a fair ballpark of 0.05~0.2 second close to him on Qualy. Obviously said rival will change as the teams performance change throughout the season, but I think it is better this way than to risk unbalancing your whole save if you stick to a wrong AI lv one GP too many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, marioho said:

@MeduSalem good points, but I still think this may come in handy depending on how you approach things. I mean, unless your driver has a 95 rating in a given stat (assuming the max is 99), he will always benefit from a +5 temporary boost. I am not playing with this in mind but if such a scenario comes in, I know I have the temp boost in handy if need be.

On your AI level, when I started playing (AI 19) I was increasing the difficulty after every GP. You just need to know how to benchmark yourself. On Career mode it is relatively easy: you set the AI so that you're always running around 0.1 second close to your teammate and it doesn't matter if on a given difficulty you're sometimes ahead and sometimes behind in. I'm talking about Qualy times, by the way.

On My Team it is harder to know as you most certainly are expected to perform (way) better than a F2 teammate, so maybe use one rival team driver as a benchmark and try to stay on a fair ballpark of 0.05~0.2 second close to him on Qualy. Obviously said rival will change as the teams performance change throughout the season, but I think it is better this way than to risk unbalancing your whole save if you stick to a wrong AI lv one GP too many.

Yeah well, I just entered with AI 50 (was playing F1 2018 on AI 60-70 for most part) and beat the front teams in Australia in qualifying in my team, so I guess I could take it up a notch.

But then the weird DSQ from Tire change bug hit me hard and ever since I have toned down the AI a bit so that I could fit a 2nd stop every race to overcome the bug. That bug really kills the experience because I don't want to be DSQ'd at the end of the race so I cheesed the AI but then they obviously fall back like +20sek and more so that I can pit 2nd time. That isn't a challenging experience tbh. Just one to overcome the bug.

I pretty much beat them everywhere except for Monaco. There I have to admit I just suck + the controls suck too because I can't turn in as far as I'd need to in the hairpin losing precious time every lap, and also the AI kinda feels like it is from an entire different league there which I can't match. There I have to cheese it down to a level where I would lap them on every other track just to beat them in Qualify in Monaco.

But yeah. If I would have to play it realistically I would probably have to crank up the difficulty so I barely outqualify the drivers of the team which is ranked above my team in the car power comparison.

Edited by MeduSalem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 2:38 PM, Matt007a said:

I’ve played an entire season and my team mate has barely improved. He’s gone from 66 to 67 despite me putting in loads of stat boosting work on him. He should be well into the 70s by now.

I have experienced the same and it was quite funny as he then did not want to accept a new contract (medium risk) and is now a free agent. Oh well, on to another driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 11:05 AM, BarryBL said:

Hi everyone,

Green '+' figures on the game and driver indicates a temporary boost on the drivers stats compared to natural development of the driver. We are looking at improving this system to make it clearer to people on what is temporary and a permanent upgrade to the stats.

Thanks for the clarification, however if all green boosts are temporary and the driver only improves his stats naturally over time then it's way too slow. I'm nearly two seasons completed and none of the drivers on the grid have gone up by more than +1 or +2 overall, except for De Vries, who for some reason has gone up to a 75. My Jordan King wouldn't reach 85 rating for 15 seasons...

It also makes the calendar events pointless as well. I could spend 2 days doing some simulator work with him, only for his race craft to go up by 3 points for one race only? He's going to be equally useless a driver with 71 race craft as he is with 68 because all the real drivers are rated 10 points higher than he is. Those boosts need to be permanent so I can level him up and make him competitive.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From how I understood it, the green numbers are the bonuses from the facilities and those are temporary improvements, but the boosts through the weekly activities are supposed to go towards their stats permanently. If they were all temporary it would make no sense to pick an F2 driver cause they would never be truly competitive with the f1 drivers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TornadoDash said:

From how I understood it, the green numbers are the bonuses from the facilities and those are temporary improvements, but the boosts through the weekly activities are supposed to go towards their stats permanently. If they were all temporary it would make no sense to pick an F2 driver cause they would never be truly competitive with the f1 drivers. 

Just quoted you on a different thread.

When I have the time I'll dig up Barry's post on it, but if I understood it correctly:

  • All +green stats are temporary
  • Some are provided by your facilities. Their spec level. They remain active as long as the driver is in your team. We could almost take them as being semi-permanent in this regard
  • Some come from the Activities you're prompted to allocate into your free time occasionally. Like extra simulation training. They last for one GP only

F2 drivers do develop with time

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you invest in a Personnel facility. Will that facility consistently increase the respective stats of the second driver? Like if I purchase the level 1 simulator. How will that affect the second driver’s pace?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished my first season and ignored the "transfer window", as I was waiting to get the sponsors money at the end of the season, so now I have the reserve driver and can't offer anybody another contract, apart from this, the engineer keeps remininding me of offering another driver a contract instead of the reserve driver (I'm on the 1st race of second season now). Is this supposed to work this way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! Can my teammate retire? I mean, I want to buy Vettel but he is old enough for retirement. Can he retire after I sign him or he will stay in my team until the 10th season? Sorry for my English.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Milan0326 said:

Hey guys! Can my teammate retire? I mean, I want to buy Vettel but he is old enough for retirement. Can he retire after I sign him or he will stay in my team until the 10th season? Sorry for my English.

He can retire.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how the simulator facility works in terms of improving the 2nd driver’s pace? If I buy spec one, how much does it improve the 2nd driver’s pace, and how often does it boost his/her stats?

I’d like to give Mick Schumacher a nice boost after the team literally screwed him over in France. Man, do I wish we could also control the race strategy of our teammate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 7:01 PM, Matt007a said:

Thanks for the clarification, however if all green boosts are temporary and the driver only improves his stats naturally over time then it's way too slow. I'm nearly two seasons completed and none of the drivers on the grid have gone up by more than +1 or +2 overall, except for De Vries, who for some reason has gone up to a 75. My Jordan King wouldn't reach 85 rating for 15 seasons...

It also makes the calendar events pointless as well. I could spend 2 days doing some simulator work with him, only for his race craft to go up by 3 points for one race only? He's going to be equally useless a driver with 71 race craft as he is with 68 because all the real drivers are rated 10 points higher than he is. Those boosts need to be permanent so I can level him up and make him competitive.

Does anyone notice the racecraft difference? I feel that all the ai drivers behave the same in terms of aggression. I seem to only notice the pace difference. But racecraft? Can anyone give some noticeable differences? I mean I have watched youtubers, and on some tracks the ai get stuck behind traffic. Racecraft is defined as how efficient the driver can overtake, and if that is just based on that definition, then I do not see any differences among the ai. As such, I feel racecraft is useless unless you have good pace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Krisperfectline said:

Does anyone notice the racecraft difference? I feel that all the ai drivers behave the same in terms of aggression. I seem to only notice the pace difference. But racecraft? Can anyone give some noticeable differences? I mean I have watched youtubers, and on some tracks the ai get stuck behind traffic. Racecraft is defined as how efficient the driver can overtake, and if that is just based on that definition, then I do not see any differences among the ai. As such, I feel racecraft is useless unless you have good pace. 

I think the distinction between racecraft and awareness when it comes to not elbowing or get elbowed too hard on an overtake attempt is not that clear, but maybe there's where the low racecraft manifests itself?

Not only a driver being hesitant on a passing, but being miserable in getting out of it unscatched. I know that when the Race Director screen comes up at the end of a race the AI is prodigious with warnings for contact with each other.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if your 2nd driver can buy perks (the extra acclaim, resource points, reduced engine wear)... I have got mine up to level 2 but the 2nd driver is still showing at level 0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rocojuanclarkus said:

Does anyone know if your 2nd driver can buy perks (the extra acclaim, resource points, reduced engine wear)... I have got mine up to level 2 but the 2nd driver is still showing at level 0.

He/She can, but they must have extra money. When negotiating with your driver, you will have to pick the low risk option, as that option will be a higher salary than their demand. Since you offered a low risk option with a salary higher than their demand, they will have extra money, and they can spend that money on perks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×