F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Improving your car in My Team (share your tips)

Just wondering how others have found it in improving their car in My team and wanted to know whether being second slowest after 8 rounds (16 race season) is normal.

been spending resource points on upgrades and I’ve upgraded the odd factory section but not seen much progress. Is this similar to you guys?

other than one of the driver perks, is there a way of impressing the amount of resource points you get?

don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to go from slow to fastest in a season or two, just want to see what others have experienced.

• Like 1

6 races in out of 16. Tied for 9th in development ahead of Williams and Alpha Tauri. Even with Haas

Same I'm ,10th ahead of Williams behind Hass . What I have noticed is when ever I develop an upgrade the teams around is make same upgrades the only seem to upgrade same time as me and always same type of gap so not making any progress . Feels like last year to me where you can't progress because of how fast A1 upgrade . Got a few bugs with game to be honest can only play on direct 11 . Got no graphics if use 12 . And when simulated a race the game stock on loading screen . And when restarted pc the isn't any results at all for that race just blank . It's got quite a few bugs this year's game like 

I like it that it's very slow. In earlier games you could get to the top way too fast.

• Agree 3

It probably depends on the choices you made at the start. I'm seeing that I stepped into F1 like William Storey thinking the money would follow but it isn't and now I'm stuck with the most expensive F2 driver and it looks like not enough money because Haas has surpassed me in R&D halfway the season. So my goal is to get that 8th place at the end of the season; cash in from my sponsor and hope I can start investing in facilities a bit more in season 2. And if not I will start to send out tweets dissing my team and call them a milk float. 

I'm at Vietnam and only upgraded the engine a bit. Now I'm trying to make the folks at the aero department happy so I can get my upgrades on that side. Haas has improved more overall than my team did, but my Honda engine is already better than AT, RB, Renault and Mclaren. I hope that improving won't be too easy, as I like to be challenged.

You start with most departments at 0 so your upgrades are taking the longest possible time and your generating the least amount of points.  So it seems realistic once you upgrade your facilities to be more in line with the teams (who do start at different levels if you've done the normal driving career) so its a good thing.

What difficulty setting are you all using?

I done a few Grand Prix races first to set the difficulty level I wanted, I used the Red Bull and got the difficulty set to were I was running in the top 3 and had to really push to stay with the front runners so I set the same difficulty level in My Team but in the first practice sessions I was second fastest, qualified 9th as I was running single shot qualifying and made a mistake. In the race I got up to 7th from the start and stayed there until a safety car came out at the right time so I dived into the pits which the leaders missed, after it all worked itself out I found myself in 3rd behind the safety car. Safety car came in and I was able to push and start to slowly close in on Verstappen and pass him to finish second.

With a very undeveloped car I would have expected to have to push hard just to stay with a Hass. The car also felt very well planted through the corners, again I would have thought at this stage the car would have been a bit of a handful to drive and slow. 

I’ve just finished Race 1 of Season 2. 

On the performance table, my car is still second worst, only marginally ahead of Williams. But, remember that Durability now counts towards the overall ranking of your car, so while my car overall is 10th, during races I’m consistently finishing anywhere between 10th and 16th/17th.

My Engine is 5th best (and the best of all the Honda powered teams) but my Aero and Chassis are both 10th, again ahead of Williams.

Ive just upgraded my departments to Spec 2 thanks to the money I received at the end of Season 1, which should aid car development this season.

For those who are interested: 95 AI, 50% Race, Full Qualifying, Full Damage. Assists are on due to being a pad user but the AI level is comfortable for where I am as a driver.

Posted (edited)

Progress definitely starts slow with the facilities on 0 but does speed up once you build up the facilities to Spec 2. 

For the first half of the season my team was around 8th-10th in the vehicle performance comparison and I couldn't really progress faster than the AI midfield teams. I focused on marketing to improve acclaim faster and then upgraded all departments to spec 1 over the season. By the last third of the season I was able to compete in the midfield and regularly got points over the last 6 or so races(22 race season). On the comparison chart the car was showing as best of the rest although still very much a midfield team.

After using the sponsor goal bonus and performance bonus before the new season to get the aero and chassis departments to spec 2 I've been able to bring updates faster, including the ability to rush development (with higher failure chance). Now I'm showing as second in the performance comparison(by round 4) just ahead of Red Bull and Ferrari although it's very close so performance varies from track to track but the results have been solid. 

I signed Russell as second driver and so far we have finished 5th and 6th in Aus, 6th and 14th(wing damage for Russell) in Bahrain, 6th and 7th in Vietnam, 4th and 8th in China, 4th and 5th in Zandvoort. Currently sat third in the constructors ahead of Red Bull.

Feels good to finally be able to compete towards the front although it's still tough to beat Mercedes who are completely dominant. Also great to have a teammate that has good pace. I've been playing on 105 throughout and seems well balanced with Russell out qualifying me 4-1 so far, 3 of which by less than half a tenth. Last season it was easy against my teammate so enjoying the challenge.

Main thing I think to focus on is choosing sponsor goals that are achievable in the first season to allow you to maximise income. I didn't go for the highest payouts just the ones with goals that I could do every race such as completing all practice programmes, completing a clean race, top 12 etc...

That along with upgrading the marketing department up to spec 1 allowed me to build the team acclaim faster to improve income further and overall seems to be going well now.

Still a long way to go to match Mercedes but potentially in season 3 if all goes well should be competing for the constructors championship.

Bit of an essay, long story short it speeds up over time lol.

Edited by Walsh89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

What should I expect in terms of development points etc. if I simulate a race weekend? I've done Melbourne and Bahrain now, but I just don't feel like learning Hanoi and Zandvoort from scratch just yet. I think they'll join Paul Ricard in the category of "pretend they are not in the game" tracks. I assume the engine and gearbox take a beating when simming?

After doing 2 full sim seasons with all spec 3 facilities Ive noticed that the cpu does a much better job of keeping all teams close on performance which is good imo. The days of being miles ahead of the bottom and mid tier teams is over I think. 

@Walsh89 so far I've almost completely neglected the Marketing department thinking it would be more of a thing when I planned on breaking through the midfield teams. Now I realize I don't really grasp what my Team and my Driver Acclaim do. Is there a significant increase in sponsorship payouts then? 

10 minutes ago, marioho said:

@Walsh89 so far I've almost completely neglected the Marketing department thinking it would be more of a thing when I planned on breaking through the midfield teams. Now I realize I don't really grasp what my Team and my Driver Acclaim do. Is there a significant increase in sponsorship payouts then? 

The Marketing Dept Activities Management boosts all your weekly activities which includes Team/Driver acclaim, resource points, and 2nd driver performance boosts. At spec 3 the benefits are dramatic and it also eliminates any negative effects like when you focus on one dept it doesn’t negatively effect the others. I would say Spec 3 in Marketing Activity Management is probably priority #1 imo.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I had the 7th best team after the third race. Are you doing all the practice programs?

Edited by MikeV27
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, marioho said:

The team acclaim does seem to make a pretty significant difference in payouts yes. For example the goal bonus for the season with Slingshot was originally around 4.3 million and after the acclaim was built up over the season to level 12 it turned out that I got 12.6 million.

The weekly income and race by race goal bonuses also increase a decent bit as well so I would say investing in the marketing department is worth it to build the acclaim quicker. I only have spec 1 currently and the acclaim level has stayed at around 15 for a while now and won't really increase so seems I need to go up to spec 2 at least to move towards level 20 for the fifth sponsor.

Edited by Walsh89
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Walsh89 said:

The weekly income and race by race goal bonuses also increase a decent bit as well so I would say investing in the marketing department is worth it to build the acclaim quicker. I only have spec 1 currently and the acclaim level has stayed at around 15 for a while now and won't really increase so seems I need to go up to spec 2 at least to move towards level 20 for the fifth sponsor.

Now I'm curious to see what you make out of your acclaim as there seems to be reports of team acclaim getting stuck at some level.

I've just booted the game and spent my savings on the Team Activities upgrade of the marketing department. Fingers crossed that it will boost my finances over time.

• Like 1

I quite like it in MyTeam mode as I won't be switching teams, its all about my own team so its the long game and progression is a long road. Lots of prep is required if you want to be super efficient but you can still totally wing it too. Each R&D department has an area you can upgrade that increases R&D points income as well as personal driver perks (in the corporate tab, contracts). This can be upgraded 3 times to increase faster each time. I like that what used to be the cost and fail rate purchaseables in the R&D tree are also now date related so it prevents fast tracking and gives a more natural increase over time. There are so many areas to upgrade and customise it makes me salivate just thinking about it! Its a great system. But just remember like most games upgrades are increase steps. The first upgrades are minor and give just a little boost. The next are moderate boosts and the top upgrades are where the magic happens! So if you feel you aren't going anywhere yet, its just the beginning, the foundations you are laying for the big steps later. It may just be me but it feels very fluid to my career. I'm liking the journey very much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marioho said:

Now I'm curious to see what you make out of your acclaim as there seems to be reports of team acclaim getting stuck at some level.

I've just booted the game and spent my savings on the Team Activities upgrade of the marketing department. Fingers crossed that it will boost my finances over time.

I've not got a great distance in acclaim yet. 12 for my driver and 9 for the team but so far so good.. Is there a set level people are saying it sticks?

8 minutes ago, Carystus said:

I've not got a great distance in acclaim yet. 12 for my driver and 9 for the team but so far so good.. Is there a set level people are saying it sticks?

Now you've backed me against the alley wall, mate. I've been going back and forth between this forum and reddit.com/r/f1game, can't pinpoint where I read it anymore. But I think it is either nearing the end of the first season or at lvls 12-15. That's hearsay of hearsay though, please take it with a whole shaker of salt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies guys :classic_biggrin: all really useful, good to get some tips especially regarding the marketing department 

On 7/14/2020 at 8:34 PM, marioho said:

Now you've backed me against the alley wall, mate. I've been going back and forth between this forum and reddit.com/r/f1game, can't pinpoint where I read it anymore. But I think it is either nearing the end of the first season or at lvls 12-15. That's hearsay of hearsay though, please take it with a whole shaker of salt. 

Lol cheers. Appreciate the effort 👍 At least I can prepare for the worst mentally.. 😂 Fingers crossed still that I don't get it though. Just had my first contract negotiation for 2nd driver from £150k to £3mil with only Latifi below them in championship standings in just half a season.. And resigning was only for the rest of the season.. So end of season 1 and I'm nervous what cost that is going to be.. Let alone possible glitches coming up lol 

• Like 1

Personally i would prefer it if progress is slow. If you are able to leap to the front really quickly there is not much achievement in that and you need to then start manipulating the AI ability to find the racing you want which is kind of counter productive.

It took me 4 races to get in the points with a solid 7th place in China becoming best of the rest. Finished 11th in Australia, 19th in Bahrain and 12th in Vietnam. I don't know if it is just me nailing China or the AI being slow here, but I was way faster than my rivals, getting out of DRS zones in less than a lap or at most 1,5 laps. I've not invested in aerodynamics or the chassis, so I expect a hard time at Zandvoort. FP1 did not really look like there is much to win here, but I'll have to drive it a bit more to find another couple of tenths. I really like My Team!