Jump to content Jump to content

Improving your car in My Team (share your tips)

On 7/14/2020 at 1:23 PM, Walsh89 said:

Progress definitely starts slow with the facilities on 0 but does speed up once you build up the facilities to Spec 2. 

For the first half of the season my team was around 8th-10th in the vehicle performance comparison and I couldn't really progress faster than the AI midfield teams. I focused on marketing to improve acclaim faster and then upgraded all departments to spec 1 over the season. By the last third of the season I was able to compete in the midfield and regularly got points over the last 6 or so races(22 race season). On the comparison chart the car was showing as best of the rest although still very much a midfield team.

After using the sponsor goal bonus and performance bonus before the new season to get the aero and chassis departments to spec 2 I've been able to bring updates faster, including the ability to rush development (with higher failure chance). Now I'm showing as second in the performance comparison(by round 4) just ahead of Red Bull and Ferrari although it's very close so performance varies from track to track but the results have been solid. 

I signed Russell as second driver and so far we have finished 5th and 6th in Aus, 6th and 14th(wing damage for Russell) in Bahrain, 6th and 7th in Vietnam, 4th and 8th in China, 4th and 5th in Zandvoort. Currently sat third in the constructors ahead of Red Bull.

Feels good to finally be able to compete towards the front although it's still tough to beat Mercedes who are completely dominant. Also great to have a teammate that has good pace. I've been playing on 105 throughout and seems well balanced with Russell out qualifying me 4-1 so far, 3 of which by less than half a tenth. Last season it was easy against my teammate so enjoying the challenge.

Main thing I think to focus on is choosing sponsor goals that are achievable in the first season to allow you to maximise income. I didn't go for the highest payouts just the ones with goals that I could do every race such as completing all practice programmes, completing a clean race, top 12 etc...

That along with upgrading the marketing department up to spec 1 allowed me to build the team acclaim faster to improve income further and overall seems to be going well now.

Still a long way to go to match Mercedes but potentially in season 3 if all goes well should be competing for the constructors championship.

Bit of an essay, long story short it speeds up over time lol.

Think that just about sums up what I’m doing during first season too, seems most sensible way for long term improvement 

I - like everyone else - have been upgrading as I go along. I found myself in 6th place in a pouring wet race at France. Started on slicks, around lap 8 it was onto inters and I was passing everyone! Then around lap 14 it was onto wets. I was 8 seconds ahead of Ricciardo with 6 laps to go and the tyres completely fell off a cliff. Ricciardo's tyres were as old as mine but he led a field past me as though I had four punctures!

I was encouraged with the upgrades however, and I had a decent finish in Austria in a dry race - I think around 14th. But at Britain I was losing a second a lap and was struggling against Williams. I finished 25 seconds behind a Haas and that's were I am stuck (my set up was setting decent pace in FP as well). Away now to check the pace in Hungary :classic_unsure:

1 hour ago, substyler said:

i am in myteam season 5 now. i got more than 100 million and nothing to do with it. no new options to improve anything. what is the plan for money after season 4 or 5? I hope in futre F1 games will be more "end game" content

If that is indeed the case Codemasters should definitely make some changes. That breaks the simulation on the long run.

I guess very few people play their career or MyTeam until season 5. I guess most people only play their career or MyTeam until the 3rd or 4th season and then they want to win the championship there. It seems to me that the MyTeam mode is exactly designed to win the championship after the 3rd or 4th season (depending on how meticulously you set the level of difficulty).

I've not really seen the point of running a career beyond getting both driver and manufacturer championship in the same season. After that it just get's uninteresting for me. Though, I use the career mode more as practise since I mainly got back to the F1 game for the online part.

3 minutes ago, Lakrits said:

I've not really seen the point of running a career beyond getting both driver and manufacturer championship in the same season. After that it just get's uninteresting for me. Though, I use the career mode more as practise since I mainly got back to the F1 game for the online part.

I use it for kind of fantasy "booking". I play my little Schumacher Racing Team storyline and hope for some driver changes at the end of season for some new top 6 every year. I played first year with a random f2 dude as partner. than I took Sainz, next step was ricciardo 2 years and my final season was finally with my "son" mick Schumacher. And now I don´t know what will follow next. Team is fully upgraded, car is far above all the other. no more goals. 

online is an absolute "no" for me. I love offline career modes in all sport games

14 hours ago, marioho said:

If that is indeed the case Codemasters should definitely make some changes. That breaks the simulation on the long run.

Sad, same like last year with long term carreer. I didn't really understand why CM did not implement an option how fast R&D, Money, Reputation... shall rise. I thought you cann adjust it by choosing the carreer length, but if so it makes no sense to choose 10 seasons and have no more challenges after 5 seasons.

• Agree 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
On 7/14/2020 at 11:50 AM, BillyDaKid said:

What difficulty setting are you all using?

I done a few Grand Prix races first to set the difficulty level I wanted, I used the Red Bull and got the difficulty set to were I was running in the top 3 and had to really push to stay with the front runners so I set the same difficulty level in My Team but in the first practice sessions I was second fastest, qualified 9th as I was running single shot qualifying and made a mistake. In the race I got up to 7th from the start and stayed there until a safety car came out at the right time so I dived into the pits which the leaders missed, after it all worked itself out I found myself in 3rd behind the safety car. Safety car came in and I was able to push and start to slowly close in on Verstappen and pass him to finish second.

With a very undeveloped car I would have expected to have to push hard just to stay with a Hass. The car also felt very well planted through the corners, again I would have thought at this stage the car would have been a bit of a handful to drive and slow. 

I did my usual AI balancing test (Grand Prix / Catalunya) and found I was at 70, but I seemed unusually fast at Australia in comparison to the AI. Looking at my teammate's race pace I was a second a lap faster, so I bumped it up to 80 which felt right at Bahrain.

It could be that the AI are slightly slower at Australia, or it's a track I'm better at because I enjoy the layout.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:38 PM, Theseus said:

The Marketing Dept Activities Management boosts all your weekly activities which includes Team/Driver acclaim, resource points, and 2nd driver performance boosts. At spec 3 the benefits are dramatic and it also eliminates any negative effects like when you focus on one dept it doesn’t negatively effect the others. I would say Spec 3 in Marketing Activity Management is probably priority #1 imo.  

That's a solid strategy.

From my time of min-maxing Final Fantasy games I've found the optimal strategy for development is to first focus on the things that boost money/XP.

If you consider My Team to be the F1 equivalent of an RPG, then that means you should probably focus on Marketing first, as more income and more Acclaim will make growth of other areas go faster.

• Like 2

Really struggling with the R&D this year. All my upgrades take so long to come on to my car and Williams have caught up with me.

I've improved my marketing to spec 1, and my team acclaim is up to level 10 so I get a fair amount of money coming in every week

Is the best strategy to upgrade my facilities and go for multiple minor upgrades or should I save my resource points and just go for the major ones?

Appreciate your help.

• PJTierney changed the title to Improving your car in My Team (share your tips)
  • Social Media & Community Team

One strategy that worked well for me in previous games (just R&D here) is focusing on the area of the car you are weakest in.

I believe the My Team car has a fairly low Chassis rating compared to the other teams on the grid, so maybe focus on that first.

I haven't done enough races in My Team to truly get a grasp of the system yet though, I'm still in my first Season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 7/16/2020 at 5:12 PM, substyler said:

i am in myteam season 5 now. i got more than 100 million and nothing to do with it. no new options to improve anything. what is the plan for money after season 4 or 5? I hope in futre F1 games will be more "end game" content

Season 5.... You been to bed since the game has been out ? 😂

• Haha 2

Well. I too second that we need a "strategic level difficulty" setting to be included in these games so those of us that want to can crank up that side of things.

Season 1 for me has been great as I was fighting the midfield the entire season not having much money. But as soon as season 2 hits, and you get a sponsor bonus AND prize money, you're suddenly very rich. Saved up and bought the Resource Point Generation for all areas of the car, which level ups all my facilities to both Unlock R&D areas and give me plenty of points to spend. And vola, won the drivers championship in season 2 and was off by about 20 points on the constrcutors as I still had a rookie teammate for cheap who didn't get many points early season (but we were 1-2ing all races at the end).

1.thumb.jpg.23473bd98d34907325485a5cc2c1ee12.jpg2.thumb.jpg.15a927fc77ca6dc5b458067d861ff7b1.jpg

Season 3 has come and I am a mile above everyone else. I simulated Practice, retired from Qualy without doing a lap and simulated the race. Teammate came first, and I came second. I... cannot find the motivation to continue to race in this save. There is nothing to do only continue to make the gap bigger.

3.thumb.jpg.c1adf3f47225c5e1228689dd9a45543c.jpg

I am now making a mod to increase the cost of facility upgrades (probably will need to x5 it) - but is it really that hard for them to add a setting to increase the multiplier of facility upgrades, R&D costs, Facility and R&D buildtimes, and R&D failure rates. I am more then happy battling the midfield for a few seasons. The first podium would have then meant something. The first win would have meant even more. The first title challenge would be amazing.

Instead, I just feel robbed. The journey did not exist.

• Agree 1

I have a pretty interesting one. Wanted a tough challenge anyway but not too unreal so went for a high but not top sponsor so I could afford the Merc engine but just enough left to get the cheapest avialable driver.

Not knowing the bonus you get from the first press interview stating what department is best I went for durability and got surprised you get a good buff and a free department upgrade so should have gone for Aero or Chassis but at least my car is very reliable (no DNFs at all in 1st season and allowed me a best 5th place due to a few AI failings and my car remaining reliable).

The car is strong in power circuits, I can usually snatch a point or 2 though my teammate only gets above Williams and sometimes Haas drivers. In other technical circuits its a nightmare. I can still get a point or 2 if the strategy works out etc. But my teammate is dead last bar beating Latifi most of the time. For £150 its no biggy but I put a lot into 2nd driver development. See no change in performance but wow did I get a shock in the midseason contract! From £150 to £3mil!! I could only afford it due to saving up and making the very most of sponsors and first purchase being in that department. There is a trophy to get a high acclaim driver anyway so the poor cheap 2nd driver thing is fine as a temporary measure and the car is poor so at the moment I ignore the fact they likely won't get any points for me and don't wanna screw too much with the current driver line up by employing every cheap agent, so I'll see what this driver can do with the buffs over time.

I'm also so far matching the other teams in R&D. I started just a tad ahead of Williams but far off Haas. I'm still 2nd to last but behind Haas by a whisker! No level 2 departments yet and still a few R&D things I can get that are unlocked so just doing them as I go. Doing every practice test religiously for maximum points. Had 4 failures but been able to afford the fix, though only 1 fail was minor so the others did cost me more. Fail rate % is around 30-40%. Best being Chassis and durability at 30%. Just got my power R&D ahead of the other Merc supplied teams bar Merc themselves.

Tough but happily challenging at the moment. I'm in it for the long run. Not interested in regular career mode. Its all about trying to get my team to the top.. If thats possible since I started at the bottom. If its like previous years like doing up Williams to max only to still end up last after 6 seasons due to everyone else maxing out too that will really suck! So hopefully there is a system in place that allows teams to constantly be evolving/changing or the ability to all be maxed equally. Don't wanna put in 10 seasons to be the worst maxed team 😂

All my driver perks are now level 2 also thanks to good sponsor payouts. That really boosts my durability, income etc.

Got through to Russia season 2 now and as others have mentioned progression becomes too fast once departments are upgraded to spec 2 and above. After major upgrades on the front and rear wings my car has become easily the fastest car. In Singapore I won by 13 seconds cruising, admittedly I don't think Singapore is a strong track for the AI but the performance of the car was a big reason. 

Performance has been really close between my car and Mercedes for quite a while, since around Monaco. Prior to Monaco the Mercs had won all six races. Since Monaco me and Russell have won 8 races out of 10 with Mercedes taking the other two wins. Due to the Mercedes consistently finishing between 2nd and 4th for most of the races they still comfortably lead the constructors but I'm now only 27 points behind Hamilton in the drivers and with a pretty dominant car.

The only thing that could change things is multiple reg changes for the new season but as my car is already the best I've been saving up all R&D points since the email came through ready to adapt whichever parts are required. 

Season 1 really felt like a battle to gradually move your way up the grid but season 2 has been too easy to progress. 

20200720_220233.jpg

• Like 1

Could probably put together a good set of house rules for yourself to make it tougher.

1. Zero Facility upgrades year 1

2. Only one spec upgrade per year per facility so only in year 4 would you even obtain spec 3 to open the entire R&D tree

3. Only Major/Ultimate adaptions when there’s regulation changes then only 1 development per each department at a time. 

Just some examples and I might try and put something along these lines together to make it more challenging 

• Agree 1
58 minutes ago, Theseus said:

Could probably put together a good set of house rules for yourself to make it tougher.

1. Zero Facility upgrades year 1

2. Only one spec upgrade per year per facility so only in year 4 would you even obtain spec 3 to open the entire R&D tree

3. Only Major/Ultimate adaptions when there’s regulation changes then only 1 development per each department at a time. 

Just some examples and I might try and put something along these lines together to make it more challenging 

Well, the people who also charge AAA price tags for a game every year could have also added a difficulty setting for this too.

Saying that, I've been playing with automatic gears since f1 2010 so that I don't get an unfair advantage over the AI. Balancing things was never their strong suit.

We had the same discussion last year and i didn't understand why CM can't implement a difficulty slider.

First set for difficulty should be the carreer length. A ten season carreer should have way higher costs for facilities and R&D. Additionally they should implement an option for difficulty (easy, normal, hard) for fine tuning of difficulty. It doesn't make any sense to have a fully upgraded facility and maxed out car in season 5 for example.

From my point of view a backmarker team should struggle in first and second year for reliability and money and should not be able or barely able to improve there facilitys.

Edited by Akkan74

What AI level is everyone at ? 

I've completed my first season on 100 AI, cockpit view, no hud, no assists and finished in the top 10 on 14 tracks. Won 1 and got 3rd in another. My car in the first season was was probably the back end of the mid pack throughout the full season. Started my second season on 102 AI and as the 2nd slowest car. Bare in mind I did all the practice sessions in the first season, but still struggled to update the car as fast as the AI. With the money I got for finishing 4th in the constructors I signed Perez and updated a lot of my behind the scenes stuff. Finished 9th and 11th respectively in Aus, but still the second slowest car now going into the second race. If you guys are saying that once I've updated the behind the scenes stuff to level 2 then I should be at the top by season 3? If that's the case I'll just make it harder for my self. I'm updating the AI level every season until I'm on 110. If it's still a walk in the park I'll drive with my eyes closed haha. 

37 minutes ago, inspiretheworld said:

What AI level is everyone at ? 

I've completed my first season on 100 AI, cockpit view, no hud, no assists and finished in the top 10 on 14 tracks. Won 1 and got 3rd in another. My car in the first season was was probably the back end of the mid pack throughout the full season. Started my second season on 102 AI and as the 2nd slowest car. Bare in mind I did all the practice sessions in the first season, but still struggled to update the car as fast as the AI. With the money I got for finishing 4th in the constructors I signed Perez and updated a lot of my behind the scenes stuff. Finished 9th and 11th respectively in Aus, but still the second slowest car now going into the second race. If you guys are saying that once I've updated the behind the scenes stuff to level 2 then I should be at the top by season 3? If that's the case I'll just make it harder for my self. I'm updating the AI level every season until I'm on 110. If it's still a walk in the park I'll drive with my eyes closed haha. 

Did you have a big regulation change to put you at the back of season 2? I started the second season as 5th and three races later I'm already on par with Mercedes as the best team.

I'm seriously disappointed how easy it was, I upgraded some facilitied, purchaced some perks and now the R&D points come rolling in by +1100 per race and the car is already far beyond the Mercedes TT performance. I feel I have to stop developing my car too fast on purpose now which takes all the fun and challenge out of it to be honest.

Edited by Worntoathread
40 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

Did you have a big regulation change to put you at the back of season 2? I started the second season as 5th and three races later I'm already on par with Mercedes as the best team.

I'm seriously disappointed how easy it was, I upgraded some facilitied, purchaced some perks and now the R&D points come rolling in by +1100 per race and the car is already far beyond the Mercedes TT performance. I feel I have to stop developing my car too fast on purpose now which takes all the fun and challenge out of it to be honest.

Yeah, all the chassis and aero department needed adapted. Didn't upgrade at all when that came into effect. 

I'm sure if a few of us let it be known that the speed is too fast then hopefully they can sort it. Maybe make the department's more expensive to upgrade. Double or triple the price. Defo needs adjusted if you guys are saying it's bad. 

Its still good though. Really enjoy my team. Started as Lotus Renault (the black and gold livery) and now I'm Jordan f1. That green and blue monster haha. 

• Agree 1
On 7/17/2020 at 10:18 AM, PJTierney said:

I did my usual AI balancing test (Grand Prix / Catalunya) and found I was at 70, but I seemed unusually fast at Australia in comparison to the AI. Looking at my teammate's race pace I was a second a lap faster, so I bumped it up to 80 which felt right at Bahrain.

I did the same thing as you did PJ, I used Grand Prix mode and an F2 career to set my difficulty and came to the same conclusion of around 70, the problem is, my adaptability to racing games has joined the party and after upping the difficulty to 80 in Australia over the course of the opening My Team race weekend, I placed 5th at the end of a 100% race. I have it on 90 I believe now for Bahrain, where I still managed to qualify at a blistering 14th for only the second My Team race. Which means if I dont increase the difficulty again, I should be inside the top 10 on race day. I remember the next 3 drivers on the grid are only a couple of tenths faster than me in qualifying. My team mates pace is miles away from me though, but I dont think I could compete at all with difficulty over 100 atm; but I can see it ending up there by the end of the first season at this rate. The most I ever played any Codemasters F1 title before F1 2020, was 35 hours in F1 2013. I never made it past around 16 hours in all the others, give or take an hour or two. I am already up to 40 hours in this years, lol.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:51 PM, PJTierney said:

I believe the My Team car has a fairly low Chassis rating compared to the other teams on the grid, so maybe focus on that first.

Thats what I focused on with the opening questions, I know from my driving style in other racing titles that I am best in higher speed corners; and that is showing through in F1 2020 as well. So I focused on the chassis first, then durability, then aero. I picked the Renault engine, which seems to be coping ok for me.

Edited by Ialyrn