F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

F1 2020 - Great game but...

I must nitpick when it comes to sound.  The engine sounds are for the most part pretty good but the downshifting is kind of suspect.  Like for Mercedes, downshifting doesn't sound smooth at all, it sounds rough, like someone threw a wrench in the gearbox or something.  Now I compared the audio work of some of the modding communities with CM's and I noticed they got it spot on.  I know CM's audio is more than capable of giving us some great work here, just like the modding communities have, the only left to do is implement it.

Just my opinion

3 minutes ago, Slick_Rick_ said:

I must nitpick when it comes to sound.  The engine sounds are for the most part pretty good but the downshifting is kind of suspect.  Like for Mercedes, downshifting doesn't sound smooth at all, it sounds rough, like someone threw a wrench in the gearbox or something.  Now I compared the audio work of some of the modding communities with CM's and I noticed they got it spot on.  I know CM's audio is more than capable of giving us some great work here, just like the modding communities have, the only left to do is implement it.

Just my opinion

Bear in mind, the sound that you heard through the TV cameras isn't exactly how the cars sound in the cockpit.

CM have mics onboard the cars during winter testing, so the sound that CM is recorded directly. Modders will use rips of broadcast audio. @PJTierney will be able to give more info on this.

There is now a "broadcast mix" option in the settings for those that would prefer this sound, personally I don't as I like to drive cockpit and like that this is closer to how the engine sounds to the driver.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CarloLewis said:

CM have mics onboard the cars during winter testing, so the sound that CM is recorded directly. Modders will use rips of broadcast audio. @PJTierney will be able to give more info on this.

@issueskid is the audio expert, and shared that detail a while back, so check his post history 🙂 

...or just read the whole thread here 😄 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

@issueskid is the audio expert, and shared that detail a while back, so check his post history 🙂 

...or just read the whole thread here 😄 

Apologies, wrong person! 😄

All I did was pin/share it 😄 

Good info in that thread though, worth a read 🙂 

@PJTierney I was actually very, very impressed with the audio work in this game. The downshift rumble and hiss sounds so much more like the real deal than F1 2019 or any of the previous titles. Driving in Broadcast Audio mix and pseudo surround sound is quite immersive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, SIMRACER123 said:

Off throttle the cars sound different in real life compared to what your hear on tv. 

Perhaps you’re right! I guess I was just going by what I heard on tv, as was the reason for my little nitpick but I mean, overall the sound really is an improvement over past games

• Agree 1

Not really constructive to the debate can't make my mind about the Broadcast Mix settings. I usually play with my old but trusty pair of Sennheiser HD 598 hooked to my PS4 by a dedicated DAC and I haven't managed to pin down whether I prefer that mix on or off. I just enjoy the rumble of the engine(s) whichever the presentation.

I played most of my F1 2019 career with McLaren and groomed quite the liking for the Renault sound. Now I went with Honda for rea$ons, but felt the transition to that bassy roar a bit jarring.

But now? Mate, I wish I could tune my coffee machine to growl like that! 

6 hours ago, marioho said:

Now I went with Honda for rea$ons

I definitely had a chuckle, thank you for that, sir. 😄

• Like 1