Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×

Grid Penalty for no reason (22 places?!?)

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

Playing My Team on 100 difficulty and had qualified 8th in Baku. As I was loading the race, I was set 22nd because of a grid penalty of 22! places. I never received any penalties that weekend nor did I change any engine parts or gear box.

I made a change to gear box and all engine parts two races ago (Spain) and there I received my penalties. In Monaco was everything fine, but why did I receive another 22 places grid penalty in Baku. 

2.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 

PC Version 1.03

3.       Game-mode? 

My Team

4.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

This was the first time this happened but its pretty frustrating. As I just said, I was normally doing all kind of practice sessions and qualifying without receiving any penalties.

5.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

I totally don't know, how to fix this.

6.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Fanatec Clubsport Racing Wheel

7.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

Of course I have no video of the whole weekend, but I made a screenshot of the 22 places grid penalty. I don't think its possible to sum up exactly 22 places.

Grid Penalty.PNG

Also had the issue. In fact, i actually changed my MGU-K between qualification and race, it was in Zandvoort. Was pretty sad after getting the best qualification of my season (15th)

Actually, I did change some power unit parts but didn't order anything new.

In fact I changed Turbocharger, MGU-H, MGU-K, Energy Store and Internal Combustion Engine from 1 to 2 each. So nothing that should lead to a penalty.

I will try to replicate the issue and keep you up to date.

Thanks for responding!

So I gave it 45 minutes to test different scenarios. I tested to change power unit components between training sessions, from training to qualifying and from qualifying to race.
And I got again a penalty of 88 places.

Then i tested just to switch power unit components between training sessions. No penalty!
I testet to switch power unit components between training and qualifying. No penalty!

And last, I tested to switch power unit components only between qualifying and race. Again penalty (88 places)

I have added a video of the last scenario.

Hope this will help to solve this problem.

Thank You 🙂

From the video Its not a problem its basically a rule that you cannot change engine components once cars are in parc ferme as you have to remove the car from it which is why in real life teams usually start in the pitlane at that point.  When you were changing the parts the warning to tell you this including saying what the sporting article is in the regulations is displayed so each part changed is 5 places.  You can change your components within the pool before qualifying without penalty.

Edited by TheCroc84
removed a confusing line
  • Like 1

Oh, okay. This is new to me, cause this was never a problem in the last games, but thank you for the clarification.

Maybe next time, I'll try reading the warning text ^^"

Sorry about that.

Edited by lauri91291
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how they intend to have it programmed in the game, but in the real world rules, parc ferme actually starts when you begin qualifying as far as the power unit is concerned, not when you finish qualifying.  As soon as you leave the garage in Q1, you can't change components without penalties.  It's slightly different for the race gearbox - you use the practice gearbox in P1 and P2, and you're free to change that at any point without penalties.  But you must use the event/race gearbox in P3/Qualy/Race and there are penalties if you change that before it's completed 6 race weekends.

• Like 1

You also have the warning in Qualifying. So as you just said, from Q1 on you can't change any power unit components without any penalties. So the prgramming should be correct.
The mistake was on my side.

And of course, JKSullivan, thank you as well for the detailed explanation. I really appreciate it.

No problem - the SkyF1 team were talking about the gearbox rules during the Styrian GP weekend, otherwise I wouldn't have known that little nuance myself.

• Like 1

This is the exact same problem I reported and that has allegedly been ignored. There's indeed the parc Ferme rule, but for unknown reasons it starts working only from Q2. If you get eliminated in Q1 you won't get any penalty. As soon as you get into Q2 parc ferme rule starts working and you get a penalty for switching engine components. Everything is here

Edited by TheWalker17