Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×

ERS Mode Increase/Decrease Shortcuts not working in Qualifying

1.       Detailed Description

Configure a ERS Mode Increase and ERS Mode Decrease Button Shortcut in the MFD settings. Join any qualifying session and you can't use the button shortcut to switch the ERS modes from 2 Hotlap to 0 None or vice versa. If you are currently in the MFD menu it will switch to ERS, however it won't change the mode you're in. You can only manually switch the ERS mode via the navigation buttons/joystick (whatever you have) but not via a configured shortcut. The ERS Mode Increase/Decrease shortcut is working just fine in Training sessions, just not in Qualifying.

2.       Game Version

1.03 / Steam

3.       Affected Game-modes

Any game mode with Qualifying is affected.

4.       Replication tries and steps

Replicated multiple times. Also every single member of my league who tried it has the same problem indicating it's not a system/configuration/controller type issue but a bug.

Replication Steps:

• Configure ERS Mode Increase/Decrease Shortcuts in the MFD Shortcuts menu
  • Join any game mode with Qualifying (e.g. Grand Prix, Multiplayer)
  • Press the ERS Mode Increase/Decrease Button
  • ERS Mode is not beeing changed from 0 to 2 or 2 to 0

5.       Troubleshooting Attempts

I've tried resetting the Control & Calibration Scheme to default and also switching from wheel to keyboard.

6.       Used Peripherals

CSL Elite F1 Esports Wheel (Elite v. 1.1 Base) & also tried using a keyboard.

6.       Screenshots/Video
Video (length 10 seconds):

https://streamable.com/f8sajy

Edited by Wiidesire
  • Agree 3

This bug has been addressed during beta testing as well. And apparently it is "by design". ERS can only changed during qualifying by manually change ERS through MFD with arrows and not with shortcut. Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me, but they have used the argument it is not much trouble to just change it once before a hotlap using arrows.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

@Mennoo22 It would be good to see an official response in an open non-beta forum as well then. It can't really be by design, because the ERS Mode shortcuts are working just fine in Training. Just not in Qualifying.

It's quite bothersome for me to manually switch the mode in Qualifying since I've relied fully on shortcuts to switch in F1 2019 which I would like to continue to do in F1 2020. I mean that's why the shortcuts are there, to switch faster and reliably.

• Agree 1

You can only run 'none' or 'hotlap' in a qualifying session i believe, so doesn't really need a shortcut. I'm on xbox & have limited button mappability, but can manage the switch before a flying lap without issue. Easy enough to do in mfd. Also, ERS shortcuts will work fine in practice, because all the modes are useable in practice. You should try having to switch through all of them and fuel modes in only the mfd because you have no free buttons to map, this may not seem such an issue then..

4 hours ago, Mennoo22 said:

... have used the argument it is not much trouble to just change it once before a hotlap using arrows.

If its not that much of a problem to change it using arrows, they might wanna thing about deleting the hotkey-feature at all?
I think it is pretty simple: if you implement a feature like hotkeys, it should be working - if it's not working don't implement it at all.

There is no place for arguing about how easy it is even without that hotkey-feature... if it's that easy, why is there the possibility for hotkeys at all?

I was wondering bout the same as wiidesire... at least i know now i'm not the only one with that bug.

So please Codemasters.. fix this - can't be to hard since hotkeys are working in practice and race too...

• Agree 3

It's funny how people are defending missing functionality from a wheel that is (in my case) a sponsor. The option is there, it should work, especially if it had before. It still refuses to support the multi-position switches mind you, and to have officially branded wheels not taking advantage is ridiculous after all this time.

It could be a bug, or oversight, so let's not jump the gun here, but if so, why the game doesn't run as intended after launch is another question entirely.

Yeah by design. It presets as you are in qualifying, but you can just turn it off with the MFD. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 2

3 minutes ago, Perry11droelf said:

If its not that much of a problem to change it using arrows, they might wanna thing about deleting the hotkey-feature at all?
I think it is pretty simple: if you implement a feature like hotkeys, it should be working - if it's not working don't implement it at all.

There is no place for arguing about how easy it is even without that hotkey-feature... if it's that easy, why is there the possibility for hotkeys at all?

I was wondering bout the same as wiidesire... at least i know now i'm not the only one with that bug.

So please Codemasters.. fix this - can't be to hard since hotkeys are working in practice and race too...

Mode 0 and Mode 2.

+/- 1 Hotkey can’t work for that reason. 

Not mocking, imagine you are the guy that has to tell people that this is ‘by design’.

But, fundamentally 0+1 or 2-1 will always be 1 and Mode 1 isn’t available to you in Qualifying.

Enough to make you weep. Beta testers did protest but alas the Masters of Code would not listen.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

Please take this to the developers @BarryBL. How can it be by design that the shortcut buttons are not working? You may say "this is a trivial issue, we'd need to implement additional code to support this functionality in Qualifying which we currently do not deem appropiate use of our developing time". That's a reasoning. But "by design", what does that even mean? You're designing shortcuts to only work in certain situations? If this is really a design decision, and not time/development related, then what is the reasoning behind this design decision?

"Just turn it off with the MFD". Well, why do we have MFD shortcuts then? Let's get rid of them alltogether, we already have the MFD to manually navigate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Mode 0 and Mode 2.

+/- 1 Hotkey can’t work for that reason. 

Not mocking, imagine you are the guy that has to tell people that this is ‘by design’.

But, fundamentally 0+1 or 2-1 will always be 1 and Mode 1 isn’t available to you in Qualifying.

Enough to make you weep. Beta testers did protest but alas the Masters of Code would not listen.

Thanks for clarifying, but:
Hotkeys are labeled "Increase ERS" and "Decrease ERS"... not "ERS +1" or "ERS -1".
So if i push that button, i kinda expect to get to the next available lower/higher ERS-Setting... otherwise CM might think about relabeling those hotkeys...

Edited by Perry11droelf
  • Agree 4

This is dumb, on my G27 reaching for the directional is indeed a lot of trouble, if it is by design it's a dumb design...

Codemasters do know some people like to drive their outlaps don't they? 

50 minutes ago, Perry11droelf said:

Thanks for clarifying, but:
Hotkeys are labeled "Increase ERS" and "Decrease ERS"... not "ERS +1" or "ERS -1".
So if i push that button, i kinda expect to get to the next available lower/higher ERS-Setting... otherwise CM might think about relabeling those hotkeys...

Fully agree. If the two modes that are available in qualifying is 0 and 2. When set to 0, pressing the increase ERS shortcut should set it to 2 and vice versa.

Edited by CarloLewis
  • Agree 2

Pls fix it.

This is not normal. Hotkeys are labeled "Increase ERS" and "Decrease ERS" not work

• Agree 1

Lando really messed up coders with this. :classic_biggrin:

For me personally it doesn't make any difference as I never used shortcuts. As they exist to be mapped, it looks like they are still trying to find the best way to make new ERS (which the more I think about it I get more complex solution:classic_ninja:). So shortcuts are still there because they may be kept in some version, but at this point they are not used. So far what I got would be similar to what is now:

1 button - when activated it gives higher available mode, when not it gives lower (this should work for Q and R as only 2 modes exist, and using same button like DRS/pit limiter). Expanding on this would be to make it as switch in Q and as pressed-active in R (or even more complex). As for shortcuts they should just remove them. WIth only 2 modes in session there is no point for more than 1 button.

It is first week of game's life, and at this point I guess they concentrate on things that crash the game. So from that point I understand also that this will be like this for some time.

This is really a bad thing/decision.

I have, since F1 2019,  the Thrustmaster F1 add on wheel and did map the shortcuts (ERS and Fuel) on my rotate buttons on the wheel:

20191005_092838.thumb.jpg.48f52be55807b12f8d1da06936bf8d56.jpg

If you have this Shortcuts mapping option with Practise, why not have this same way in Qualifiying? It doesnt matter if you have only 2, 3 or even 5 modes in Qualifiying, the shortcuts button are there just for this, to quickly access them.

For 2020 we already have a extra button for Overtake on/off, so to use extra buttons for ERS, is a bad design, as you know we are limited on buttons.

@BarryBL have a look with the developers to understand our concern regarding this missing option

• Agree 2

Honestly BS, I know you have to carry the party line @BarryBL but justifying the unjustifiable must be painful.  If it's "By Design" the design is seriously Flawed. Nobody would design this in.

Adolf Hitler was a great bloke, I suppose it's not that hard.

Edited by TeenierNeilb69
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Honestly the different ERS deployment modes and their button configurations are a total mess that should be reviewed at some point anyway.

In most practice programs most ERS modes are disabled entirely or fixed to a certain mode so you can't even change it on the MFD and also not with any shortcuts.

In Qualifying you can only pick either Mode 0 aka None or Mode 2 aka Hotlap which is enabled by default. (even though I wouldn't know why not to use Hotlap there except if you have so good lap times that you want to save on MGU-K wear but overcharging the battery will wear the battery instead)

In Race you can only Pick Mode 1 OR Mode 3 aka Overtake, the latter being enabled by another button instead of ERS Increase/Decrease.

So in all cases I have found the ERS Increase/Decrease shortcuts to be pretty much useless in F1 2020. You can't change the deployment anywhere except if you do free practice laps.

If I had to say something about the issue I would really only have ERS Mode Increase/Decrease and get rid of the extra Overtake button. Because if you can't select Mode 2 anyway during race... then there is no reason why the ERS Increase button can't skip from Mode 1 to Mode 3 directly... and the decrease switches back to Mode 1.

That or make it only 1 button altogether because in most scenarios you can only have 1 of 2 modes... which might as well justify only having 1 button which cycles through the 2 modes available during each session/program.

Edited by MeduSalem
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, MeduSalem said:

Honestly the different ERS deployment modes and their button configurations are a total mess that should be reviewed at some point anyway.

In most practice programs most ERS modes are disabled entirely or fixed to a certain mode so you can't even change it on the MFD and also not with any shortcuts.

In Qualifying you can only pick either Mode 0 aka None or Mode 2 aka Hotlap which is enabled by default. (even though I wouldn't know why not to use Hotlap there except if you have so good lap times that you want to save on MGU-K wear but overcharging the battery will wear the battery instead)

In Race you can only Pick Mode 1 OR Mode 3 aka Overtake, the latter being enabled by another button instead of ERS Increase/Decrease.

So in all cases I have found the ERS Increase/Decrease shortcuts to be pretty much useless in F1 2020. You can't change the deployment anywhere except if you do free practice laps.

If I had to say something about the issue I would really only have ERS Mode Increase/Decrease and get rid of the extra Overtake button. Because if you can't select Mode 2 anyway during race... then there is no reason why the ERS Increase button can't skip from Mode 1 to Mode 3 directly... and the decrease switches back to Mode 1.

That or make it only 1 button altogether because in most scenarios you can only have 1 of 2 modes... which might as well justify only having 1 button which cycles through the 2 modes available during each session/program.

You know that this is for more Realism? The Real F1 Drivers said, like F1 2019 we don´t use ERS. In front here was Lando Norris and Leclerc.

It is more Realistic, and a Wheel from 2011 can´t have the same buttons and knobs as in 2020. That is normal.

Sorry when i offended you, but all are Crying for more Realism and when the Whells don´t work like it ever does, than all comes and cry

9 minutes ago, mav744 said:

You know that this is for more Realism? The Real F1 Drivers said, like F1 2019 we don´t use ERS. In front here was Lando Norris and Leclerc.

It is more Realistic, and a Wheel from 2011 can´t have the same buttons and knobs as in 2020. That is normal.

Sorry when i offended you, but all are Crying for more Realism and when the Whells don´t work like it ever does, than all comes and cry

Nah I am not really offended.

All I am saying is that Codemasters kinda should make up their mind about what they want with the ERS stuff. Because as it currently looks like it is half-baken. They kinda have the increase/decrease shortcuts, but they aren't really useful because they lock you into specific modes during each session.

I am not crying for more realism either because honestly I don't know how the ERS system works in reallife and how the deployment is managed in real F1 cars.

Instead I have actually no problems if the game takes a few freedoms from reality, but whatever they do... they kinda should make up their mind. If they want it to be a fully automated system, or one that works as one-button wonder like the DRS button or one where you have to manage a bunch of different modes (like the fuel modes).

Whatever they want they should be more clear about it and remove legacy shortcuts that don't do anything because it only confuses people and leads to threads like this one.

Edited by MeduSalem

I have no problem with this, I think it's fine like it is and I have the same wheel as Gioproductions.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The ERS in 2020 works like this as in Real Life:

In Practice you can use all modes and combinie them (i hope this was Right, my native Language is not english)

In Qualifying there is 0 and 2 Hotlap

In Race is 1 Medium and 3 overtake ( Box there is 0 when i right)

so, the game can say 0,1,2,3 whith the ****. but this doesn´t work in game, because the input is 0 or 1 (0 stay, 1 go 1 up).

i hope you know what i mean.

Edited by mav744

23 minutes ago, mav744 said:

The ERS in 2020 works like this as in Real Life:

In Practice you can use all modes and combinie them (i hope this was Right, my native Language is not english)

In Qualifying there is 0 and 2 Hotlap

In Race is 1 Medium and 3 overtake ( Box there is 0 when i right)

so, the game can say 0,1,2,3 whith the ****. but this doesn´t work in game, because the input is 0 or 1 (0 stay, 1 go 1 up).

i hope you know what i mean.

So basically you always have Normal Mode and Fast Mode. (and what is normal and what is fast changes from session to session)

... and one button would suffice to enable the Fast Mode.

Well I don't have any problem with that. Then the MFD shortcuts are simply superfluous because they would only be of relevance in practice mode, but who really cares about switching modes there.

In previous F1 installments where the ERS Modes where more complicated I used to have it on automatic setting because I couldn't be bothered to switch up/down all the time around the lap.

In my current F1 2020 PS4 controller setup I only have the Overtake button mapped to L1, and otherwise I don't really touch the ERS modes either.

Actually I also had ERS on automatic when I started to play F1 2020 but I started to notice that the automatic mode rarely uses the Overtake mode (except if you are close to another car, on an inlap for pit or in the last lap at the end of race) so the battery gets full more often when running on Mode 1... and then the overcharging of the battery when it is full wears the battery by a whole lot.

So that is why I eventually switched to ERS manual and now I activate overtake once I notice that the battery is about 85-90% at the start of a long straight so that I would avoid hitting the 100% battery charge which I might get by breaking into a slower sector afterwards.

That said I am not yet sure if using the overtake mode won't adversely affect the MGU-K wear. Probably a balancing act between Battery wear and MGU-K wear.

Edited by MeduSalem

1 minute ago, MeduSalem said:

So basically you always have Normal Mode and Fast Mode.

... and one button would suffice to enable the Fast Mode.

Well I don't have any problem with that. Then the MFD shortcuts are simply superfluous because they would only be of relevance in practice mode, but who really cares about switching modes there.

In previous F1 installments where the ERS Modes where more complicated I used to have it on automatic setting because I couldn't be bothered to switch up/down all the time around the lap.

In my current F1 2020 PS4 controller setup I only have the Overtake button mapped to L1, and otherwise I don't really touch the ERS modes either.

Actually I also had ERS on automatic when I started to play but I started to notice that the automatic mode rarely uses the Overtake mode (except if you are close to another car) so the battery gets full more often when running on Mode 1... and then the overcharging of the battery when it is full wears the battery by a whole lot.

So that is why I eventually switched to ERS manual and now I activate overtake once I notice that the battery is about 85-90% at the start of a long straight so that I would avoid hitting the 100% battery charge which I might get by breaking into a slower sector afterwards.

That said I am not yet sure if using the overtake mode won't adversely affect the MGU-K wear. Probably a balancing act between Battery wear and MGU-K wear.

I don´t know much at this point about Hardware wear about MGU-K. But it is easyer to manage it manualy in Race as like before

"By design" meaning "too small an issue to bother with" here. If it is actually by design, i.e. someone sat down and went "this should work like this instead of the other way" it has to be the dumbest design I've seen in a while.

• Agree 7
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, FishyScales said:

"By design" meaning "too small an issue to bother with" here. If it is actually by design, i.e. someone sat down and went "this should work like this instead of the other way" it has to be the dumbest design I've seen in a while.

it is like in Real Life, see Landon noriss in the last Race in cockpit Cam. The only differenz is, he hold the button, not pushing it. in real life you push it for a 3 sec. push. you want more, the ingenieur says, hold it for more power.

• Disagree 4