F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Disappointed by AI mistakes

Hi people,

I saw aarava and tiametmarduk playing the game like 2 weeks before release.

And there were some crazy races with 6-7 dnfs or even more sometimes.

AI finally seemed to make some more (bigger) mistakes which is what I've always missed.

I played like 5-6 50% races and guess what, almost nothing happens.

No penalties for AI, no real crashes.

Just those 1-2 boring retirement dnf's.

Damn I was so hyped.

How is it for you?

Thanks

I've only done two proper career races, but in Hanoi, Raikkonen lost it trying to pass my MyTeam team mate de Vries and clattered the barriers on the long back straight and causing an instant Safety Car.

Albon spun in Lap 1, losing traction when exiting turn 5 in Hanoi. Hit the wall, came in for a new front wing. I've seen multiple AI wings fly through the hairpin in turn 11 aswell. They do happen, but not all the time.

30 minutes ago, Malmsteen41 said:

Hi people,

I saw aarava and tiametmarduk playing the game like 2 weeks before release.

And there were some crazy races with 6-7 dnfs or even more sometimes.

AI finally seemed to make some more (bigger) mistakes which is what I've always missed.

I played like 5-6 50% races and guess what, almost nothing happens.

No penalties for AI, no real crashes.

Just those 1-2 boring retirement dnf's.

Damn I was so hyped.

How is it for you?

Thanks

I think, to take into account, that in most F1 races there is only 1-4 retirements, apart from last weeks Austria GP, which was the first race of the season. 

• Agree 2

I've done a 10 season 100% races. AI have made some mistakes, some remarkable crashes which I wish I had saved on video, but I've never had more then 3 DNFs in a race. I think it's ok for now. I personally think the AI behaviour is a step up from last year. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, substyler said:

Hi had this fantastic Monaco race: 

IMG_20200711_004050.jpg

IMG_20200711_004031.jpg

What were the penalties for? Corner cutting? Speeding under VSC? 

Posted (edited)

i have no idea. it was just a 5 round race because i hate monaco. There was a car standing in the middle of the track and did not move. i guess all cars who passed him while the yellow flag was waved got the penalty. It was in the very slow downhill corner part. Some got 2, 3 or 4 penalties or a got disqualified. so i think this happend every round 😄

Edited by substyler
  • Like 1

I got Dani spinning alone on the starting straight of Zandvoort so close in front of me I had to swerve hard not to hit him.

I've seen Hamilton sitting idle by the side of the tarmac on Bahrain just to trigger a VSC and get a DNF stamp on his resume.

I have a boat on wheels on My Team that frequently has good starts. As a consequence I form a queue of Pink Mercedes, Renaults and the occasional Red Bull or even Ferrari. When that happens you can bet they receive a slap on the wrist by the stewards for bumping into me while impatiently trying to pass. Not to say about the frequent locking of their wheels when greedy overtaking me on the outside.

Can't complain so far.

Im disappointed by the wet weather AI, I've done 2 whole races in my career so far and the AI never put a foot wrong, always on rails. Its wet you would expect a lock up, have some oversteer and some slides here or there, I mean, I'm furiously doing all those things in 1 corner sometimes. Very boring.

• Agree 4

I’ve seen cars in front of me oversteer out of corners a few times and in Bahrain Hamilton spun off completely at the flat out right hander in sector 3.

6 minutes ago, Luke1991 said:

I’ve seen cars in front of me oversteer out of corners a few times and in Bahrain Hamilton spun off completely at the flat out right hander in sector 3.

I saw Raikkonen losing his rear end a bit at that same corner in Bahrain. That's about it. Only 2 races in though.

53 minutes ago, Retr0fly said:

Im disappointed by the wet weather AI, I've done 2 whole races in my career so far and the AI never put a foot wrong, always on rails. Its wet you would expect a lock up, have some oversteer and some slides here or there, I mean, I'm furiously doing all those things in 1 corner sometimes. Very boring.

Agree, this is where the AI mistake mechanic could be ramped up a more when wet weather comes. It is certainly more difficult for the player and we make more mistakes in the wet because it's so slippery. I mean you see it IRL where they are constantly fighting with the car trying to keep it on track, even Verstappen lost it in Qualy on Saturday!

I've had some quite good incidents happen in my races. One great one is Vettel ujdersteering at Bahrain and going straight in to Hamilton. Both had damage with vettel on the wall but not dnf, caused a safety car in lap 1! Now that's what I'm talking about, so good.

I only play championship mode, with the real drivers, and it seems nothing has changed there. In 15 full distance races, ive had 1 or 2 mechanical dnfs every race, and nothing more. Makes races really dull, like every year theres not really any unpredictability sadly.
Sure not all races have lots of retirements in real life, but they often have more than just 1 or 2. And races like the one in Austria DO happen after all. Its especially weird in game when doing a wet/dry monaco race for example and nothing happens for near 2 hours of racing and theres 1 dnf only.
I wonder if AI are programmed to make mistakes in career only? Since in Championship mode they are all on rails always, and seem incapable of even passing each other. I did a full distance race at Singapore and Stroll finished second, as he did a 2 stop race, and all others did a 3 stop race and no one was able to pass him. There was a 10 car train for the last 25 laps of the race.
For problems like this, ive always thought the simple solution is to have options. Some people want more retirements, some people want less.. why not have an option in game? AI retirements - small amount, medium amount, large amount, random..... something like that.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Bowzer33 said:

I only play championship mode, with the real drivers, and it seems nothing has changed there. In 15 full distance races, ive had 1 or 2 mechanical dnfs every race, and nothing more. Makes races really dull, like every year theres not really any unpredictability sadly.
Sure not all races have lots of retirements in real life, but they often have more than just 1 or 2. And races like the one in Austria DO happen after all. Its especially weird in game when doing a wet/dry monaco race for example and nothing happens for near 2 hours of racing and theres 1 dnf only.
I wonder if AI are programmed to make mistakes in career only? Since in Championship mode they are all on rails always, and seem incapable of even passing each other. I did a full distance race at Singapore and Stroll finished second, as he did a 2 stop race, and all others did a 3 stop race and no one was able to pass him. There was a 10 car train for the last 25 laps of the race.
For problems like this, ive always thought the simple solution is to have options. Some people want more retirements, some people want less.. why not have an option in game? AI retirements - small amount, medium amount, large amount, random..... something like that.

That's exactly it!

I'm hoping for that since many years, but races are "really dull, like every year theres not really any unpredictability sadly"

I always race in Championship and have exactly the same issue. AI was able to overtake each other much more in F1 2019, I have seen a few crashes though that didn’t involve me.

it seems that the AI is better on some tracks than others. Zandvoort seems to have particular issues, AI is almost completely unable to overtake each other unless they are considerably faster than the car infront, on my 100% race trains of cars just went on for lap after lap with no place changes. I think the AI seems to be able to battle the player better than 2019, but aren’t anywhere as good at battling each other.

16 hours ago, ThunderCats101 said:

I've done a 10 season 100% races.

In 7 days?!

Bravo 👏🏽 That’s impressive.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Guga_Cyr said:

In 7 days?!

Bravo 👏🏽 That’s impressive.

I have no job or life at the moment 😅😂 since then I've started a new career and going to do 22 race season, full practice, quali (without advancing time or skipping) and 100% races. I'm currently on race 3 🙂

• Like 1

I don't wanted more retirements, but a lot more smaller mistakes. If the AI drives 55 laps always the same line or time, it's a bit boring. I wanted some mistakes like ruin your tyres due to brake mistakes, than they have to change the strategie to pit earlier. Or totally miss a corner (seen last F1 race in Austria) and loose maybe 2 or 3 seconds. That would be way more interesting to stay focused and try to hold your pace, because you'll never know if the driver in front would loose some time here and there.

• Agree 2

Just wondering, those of you who have seen mistakes and accidents - what difficulty are you playing at? I'm playing at 90% and I've only seen 1 near miss with the last kink at Baku. That was in F2, though. I haven't seen a single mistake in F1. No accidents or crashes, needs to be worked on.

@s00zster I was coming from a 95 F1 2019 Career. My first ever race on F1 2020 was at 92 and now I'm on 101.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I've seen a grand total of 1 major mistake and the usual 1 or 2 dnf's average and I've done over 1000 race laps. Made a thread on AI in general trying to pool together thoughts. This doesn't count the occasional twitch or lock up they do which loses them about half a second at most.

Edited by Peachrocks

I'm fresh from Monaco. The AI does some mistakes but I think at Monaco specifically and in other tracks they make mistakes but in the wrong way or wrong corners.

I've seen cars struggling out of the hairpin which is unrealistic. At Monaco you usually see cars struggling out of rascasse and into the main straight, hit the senna wall, locking up after the tunnel and going straight.

I was sure they would have struggled out of last corner but they didn't. Always perfect exit. I guess the next step is programming track specific common mistakes. It's good to see then losing traction here and there but out of the hairpin in real life you never see mistakes. You're not under pressure in that section...

Posted (edited)

I think driver mistakes and DNFs have got better this year in my opinion. Last year it seemed that no matter what it would always be 2 drivers retire with mechanical failures. 

First race in Australia this year I had Giovanazzi try to overtake me only to lose the back end, hit into the barriers and cause a safety car. 

In Bahrain there was only 1 retirement (Bottas) 

And in Vietnam there was a crash between Hamilton and Stroll in the first corner which led to them both dropping to the back and having to pit to fix their front wings. 

The AI in general seem more aggressive in my game, especially when defending, which is leading to them making mistakes when under pressure.

Edited by Rammrain