Sign in to follow this  

The 'I purchased Autosport' Thread

RubyRuby said:
Purp, that sounds a little better than what I've read from The Crew's own marketing, but so far it doesn't stir any more of my interest than NFS The Run did.  I think I'm going to be plenty busy enough with other games for the rest of 2014 anyhow.  Like GRID Autosport, ROF, pCARS and maybe Assetto Corsa.  At the pace I move those items will keep me occupied well in to next year.

@ Cap:  I know, I was thinking of other sandboxes that could be used by a dev team who wanted to make another open world game and get similar sized territory without arbitrarily removing big chunks of real estate.  The Netherlands would be cool, but I was thinking of other large islands that have plenty of roads.  Heck, how about the UK - England, Wales, Cornwall and Scotland?  Or New Zealand?

Frank
The "force" at Ivory Tower are from Eden and TDU . . .so, I expect what we do get in The Crew to be factually accurate, or near as dammit.
I know that with TDU they mapped all roads so I'm hoping they have carried on with that principle.

I can see the game following the TDU principles, but giving more choices, and like Purple says, you can just cruise if you want (can't see them removing that because even the devs in TDU loved cruising and chatting).

Purple - followed your link and it's time for me to get acquainted with my previously stagnant uplay a/c so will be following the forum there.
~O)

RubyRuby said:
Purp, that sounds a little better than what I've read from The Crew's own marketing, but so far it doesn't stir any more of my interest than NFS The Run did.  I think I'm going to be plenty busy enough with other games for the rest of 2014 anyhow.  Like GRID Autosport, ROF, pCARS and maybe Assetto Corsa.  At the pace I move those items will keep me occupied well in to next year.

@ Cap:  I know, I was thinking of other sandboxes that could be used by a dev team who wanted to make another open world game and get similar sized territory without arbitrarily removing big chunks of real estate.  The Netherlands would be cool, but I was thinking of other large islands that have plenty of roads.  Heck, how about the UK - England, Wales, Cornwall and Scotland?  Or New Zealand?

Frank

yeah I know what you mean I'm tempted by Project Cars although I do prefer semi sims like what CM do Project cars does look very tempting to me as well.

I have NFS the run it's a fun game but nowhere near as good as what CM have done. In a way it's very similar to Grid 2 in that it has an arcade feel with very similar challenges to Grid 2 as well just a different storyline with a bit of cop dodging in the middle.

I hated the cop dodging in The Run.

That stuff was near-enough impossible on Extreme difficulty. Well, the Chicago section, anyway...

RubyRuby said : 

RubyRuby said:

Frank

yeah I know what you mean I'm tempted by Project Cars although I do prefer semi sims like what CM do Project cars does look very tempting to me as well.

I have NFS the run it's a fun game but nowhere near as good as what CM have done. In a way it's very similar to Grid 2 in that it has an arcade feel with very similar challenges to Grid 2 as well just a different storyline with a bit of cop dodging in the middle.

ahaha i have nfs the run too on origin , iplay soemtiems , its funny game... i stably believe that codemasters must create a new arcade franchise as NFS's competitor with cop's , fast sport cars , beautiful sea side and mountain scineries exactly as NFS franchise does... Codies can make it better , i am sure.. [-O<
About open world racing games , yes i like them and i love TDU  series , i still play TDU2 and waiting for The crew.... only i dont like the too american style of it... [-(
I also waiting Project cars , today i saw it for preorder steam key for 38 euros... i will wait for better deal offcorse...
But the most anted game ever for me is GTA V a game that includes everything B-)

RubyRuby said:
No takers on a Dakar Rally game.  Shucks.
I'd love a full Dakar Rally game, we get a taste in Dirt 3.

I prefer NFS Rivals to The Run . .
~O)

RubyRuby said : 

RubyRuby said:

Frank

ahaha i have nfs the run too on origin , iplay soemtiems , its funny game... i stably believe that codemasters must create a new arcade franchise as NFS's competitor with cop's , fast sport cars , beautiful sea side and mountain scineries exactly as NFS franchise does... Codies can make it better , i am sure.. [-O<
About open world racing games , yes i like them and i love TDU  series , i still play TDU2 and waiting for The crew.... only i dont like the too american style of it... [-(
I also waiting Project cars , today i saw it for preorder steam key for 38 euros... i will wait for better deal offcorse...
But the most anted game ever for me is GTA V a game that includes everything B-)

CM probably could if they used the old Grid 2 handling system as it would be pointless otherwise but it probably would work well on the Ego engine they use for their racing games. I was thinking I'll buy project cars probably directly from Steam when it becomes available.

KazzyMac said:
I hated the cop dodging in The Run.

That stuff was near-enough impossible on Extreme difficulty. Well, the Chicago section, anyway...
Yeah that's generally why I'm not that big a fan of NFS games. I bought them mainly to satisfy my bad boy side. I love causing mayhem for the police when they chase me on NFS Carbon as I force the chasing cars to crash into the traffic and stuff like that.

RubyRuby said:
The USA, coast-to-coast with only about 2,500 miles taken out of the middle, and mandatory cop chases - not my cuppa chai at all.  But that's just me.  A historic Dakar Rally game done seriously might get my attention though.

Frank
These cop chases are one big red herring, like in TDU you never need to have one except to get a couple of achievements.

The driveable area is more than 3x the size of Oahu in TDU . .5000km2.

Here's a link to show someone is addressing the problem with those only out to ruin everyone's fun . .

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2013/jun/11/the-crew-video-game-preview

You mentioned something like 90mins ? . .it'll take you a few hours of driving from NY to Los Angeles . .

I got the 90 minutes from some marketing piece, Cap.  I don't remember where now.  But three times the size of Oahu (1,500 sq km) makes driving from one side to the other in 90 minutes sound reasonable.  Anyway, at 5,000 sq km it sounds like a generous sized world but nowhere near the size of the US., which is about 9,800,000 sq km.  The island I live on in Alaska is about 6,600 sq km.  Haven't driven across the US myself since I was a kid, but then it took something like 40 hours.  Half that is still 20 hours.  And no, that wasn't in a stagecoach.

I may try The Crew eventually, but then there is also the "always online" bit - no way, at least not without a very deep discount and a lot better ISP.

Frank

S does the steam digital version unlock for America on Tuesday?.  Thinking we might be able to use a VPN in the U.K and get earlier access too (?).

RubyRuby said:
I got the 90 minutes from some marketing piece, Cap.  I don't remember where now.  But three times the size of Oahu (1,500 sq km) makes driving from one side to the other in 90 minutes sound reasonable.  Anyway, at 5,000 sq km it sounds like a generous sized world but nowhere near the size of the US., which is about 9,800,000 sq km.  The island I live on in Alaska is about 6,600 sq km.  Haven't driven across the US myself since I was a kid, but then it took something like 40 hours.  Half that is still 20 hours.  And no, that wasn't in a stagecoach.

I may try The Crew eventually, but then there is also the "always online" bit - no way, at least not without a very deep discount and a lot better ISP.

Frank
The link I posted from the Guardian said a few hours, but time will tell, sry, couldn't resist that one.

If I  remember correctly TDU started with "always online", even for SP, but something was done at the time to get around that . . too long back for me to remember.

As you know, I live on the extreme end of the internet service in this country and most of the time my connection speed is in the kb's not mb's . . . so I can understand the limitations you have all the way out there in Alaska, must be nice living on an island in a remote area, my kind of existence.

I would prefer if they stuck to somewhere like Oahu or Ibiza, but larger islands, breaking it into chunks is what NFS does and gives a totally different feel.

The upgrade system looks straight out of A.C.R., as they use the same method . .  

But it's really all about TDU and the guys in charge are TDU guys so it's a buy for me . . 
~O)

S does the steam digital version unlock for America on Tuesday?.  Thinking we might be able to use a VPN in the U.K and get earlier access too (?).
Yep . . but I'm not messing with my files until official unlock . . 
~O)

~O)
Yeah, Steam will ban you if you get caught using a VPN. Using one per-se isn't illegal but using one to bypass region restrictions such as unlock dates is against Steam's code of conduct.

... I did it with Borderlands 2, and since then I've got too many games to risk getting banned so I'll just wait until Friday, or borrow a friend's American account if he decides to let me do so. :)

No, it's worldwide on PC on the 27th.

~O) n
neither would I

Loore said:

That's too bad, i was hoping for a 24th release on steam.

Will the game unlock at 27th 0:00 hours or somewhere during the day?

HoiHman said:
Loore said:

That's too bad, i was hoping for a 24th release on steam.

Will the game unlock at 27th 0:00 hours or somewhere during the day?
A countdown timer on steam would be nice since other games have it.

Well bit the dust and pre-ordered. God damn you codies, always seem to win me over!

I am guilty as charged.

Have never even played a Grid game before this one and come from mainly playing FM on the Xbox360.

Over the last 12 months or so I have been playing much more PC sim racing (Assetto Corsa / Project Cars) and whilst in particular Assetto Corsa is technically excellent, I really miss the career and variation of Forza (liveries, different classes, 100+ different track layouts :-)

The videos of GAS look superb and with the texture pack available on day 1 should look every bit as good as FM5 (fingers crossed)