Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×
F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Black Screen after Simulating races

Posted (edited)

1. So I was trying to simulate through Career Mode, when running into this issue.  Every time I simulate a race in Career mode, the game gets stuck in a Black Screen.  I've waited long periods of time 30 minutes once, an hour once, 15 minutes the first time.

2. Version 1.03 PC

3. Career Mode

4. 5 times

5. Restarted the game. Validated files through Steam. Re-installed the game.

6. No special peripherals. I just use a PS4 controller (wired).

7. Photos below show in order of how this goes down.  Left to Right.  Bottom Left to Bottom Right.

unknown.png?width=632&height=356unknown.png?width=632&height=356unknown.png?width=632&height=356unknown.png?width=632&height=356

Edited by thehelplesshero
Clarifying this is on PC

Posted (edited)

Just to add, in the last picture (bottom right) there is the Season Results, which shows nothing.  However there are 3 races not done (as of the time of that photo. 

I've repeated this throughout the whole season now.  Still no races resulted.  That's 22 times replicated.
By the end of the season, the game just crashes when trying to load into the immediate day after result--where it goes over the rivalry and driver acclaim, etc.

I've sent the crash reports as well.

8 hours ago, ThunderCats101 said:

There's already a thread about it here 🙂 

Ah.  I Ctrl+F searched for 'Simulation Glitch' and other tags similar, but didn't find that.  Obviously due to that thread's naming being a bit general and not specific.
Also, it seems to be a bit derailed as other posters are adding in other glitches/technical bugs that aren't related to simulating through a race.

Either way, it's better that there's two, it's more likely to be noticed as a problem if more people post about it.

Edited by thehelplesshero

Posted (edited)

This is not a permanent solution, I have ran into this problem myself, and I have found a temporary fix, although I'm not sure how usable it will be for you, and whether this works on every machine.

I think the issue is with amount of laps required to simulate. PC can't handle the increased race length and it just freezes.

Solution is, run race distance of 5 laps. I know that's kinda gimped, and I'm still baffled some sponsor objectives require your team to complete 70 laps, when it is physically impossible to do when race distance is set to 5 laps, but this is how I manage to simulate my races. It works for me. I tried 25% and it did the same thing, freezing with a black screen right after it stop loading.

Hope this at least lets you be the manager you always wanted to be, without having to run those pesky races.

Quick tip, if you run one shot quali, you can often just do that one lap, if you place well, in 5 laps it is hard for you to drop far, so your LandoBot will carry you to a similarly decent result. Or at least it should anyway.

edit: You can change race distance ONLY at the start of the weekend, if you do any sessions it will lock you into that length until the next race.

Edited by Mike234432
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 2:51 PM, Mike234432 said:

This is not a permanent solution, I have ran into this problem myself, and I have found a temporary fix, although I'm not sure how usable it will be for you, and whether this works on every machine.

I think the issue is with amount of laps required to simulate. PC can't handle the increased race length and it just freezes.

Solution is, run race distance of 5 laps. I know that's kinda gimped, and I'm still baffled some sponsor objectives require your team to complete 70 laps, when it is physically impossible to do when race distance is set to 5 laps, but this is how I manage to simulate my races. It works for me. I tried 25% and it did the same thing, freezing with a black screen right after it stop loading.

Hope this at least lets you be the manager you always wanted to be, without having to run those pesky races.

Quick tip, if you run one shot quali, you can often just do that one lap, if you place well, in 5 laps it is hard for you to drop far, so your LandoBot will carry you to a similarly decent result. Or at least it should anyway.

edit: You can change race distance ONLY at the start of the weekend, if you do any sessions it will lock you into that length until the next race.

Thanks, mate. I guess I'll give this a go until they've fixed this.

Posted (edited)

On Xbox after I simulate a race I am stuck in a black screen until I restart the game, when I restart, nobody scores points. This is on Xbox, the My Team mode this has happened 3 times on Ver 1.02. I have no clue how to fix it.

Edited by blackbillymayes
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Was just about to post this same issue but for PC so I'll highjack your post, the other one I saw for this issue appears to be getting posts unrelated to this problem.  Below is the bug report form for what I am seeing.

A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

Black Screen on Simulate event.

When running a My Team game, and having completed qualifying for Monaco I decided to try and Simulate the race event.  Selected simulate and was then given a loading screen, followed by just a black screen.  This continuted for 15mins, after this time I decided to disconnect the controller from the PC to see if the game was still active, it was as the Games Controller disconnected window appeared as normal, after reconnecting the controller and waiting another 15mins I ended the applicaiton process.  Then reloaded the game, once back in to the My Team Save it advanced the race calendar, and gave the driver stats update, however it has now "skipped" the Monaco GP with Baku now being the next one to take place, there are no results listed for the Monaco GP.

Slight worried to contiune the save as I suspect it might be corrupt, kind of annoying after 40hrs+ of racing full length events. (I wanted to Sim Monaco because I hate it as an F1 race 😛)

What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 

1.03 PC

Game-mode? 

My Team

What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

Have been able to replicate this consistently with all saves I have so far created, I stopped testing after 4 New Team Saves.  Happens to all simulated race events in those saves.

To replicate I have just been creating a new team and selecting the first options for everything just to get to the practice events, rule wise I am running full length sessions and 100% races.  From here I enter the first practice event and then exit without running any laps, I simulate P2 which completes fine, I then miss Qualifying and select to advance to the Race, from here I select Simulate Race.  It is at this point that the game then loads to a black screen, the game is obviuously attempting to do something and is still running as I will get the controller disconnected message if I intentionally disconnect the controller.  The process is also normally sat at around 25-50% usage, which I am assuming is an indication that it is trying to do something.

What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue

Not 100% sure what I can attempt with this one,  I have made sure that my AA is not set to 'DLSS' or 'Custom' it is currently TAA as per the Black Screen in game issue in the Known Key Issues Read Me.

What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Gamepad: Wireless Xbox 360

Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.

No video, however I will provide one if needed.

PC specs incase this helps:
i7 5820k OC 4.4ghz
GTX 980
16GB Ram
Windows 10 version 1909

Edited by Thormit

Do you have Schumacher DLC items on your user.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Do you have Schumacher DLC items on your user.

No, at one point I deleted both DLC's and it didnt work, i even restarted my console, nothing @BarryBL

Edited by blackbillymayes

Posted (edited)

@BarryBL Don't have the Schumacher DLC no.  I do have the Seventy Edition DLC which came with the Steam PrePurchase

Edited by Thormit

Can you also add DXDiag's too so I can check drivers and graphics cards.

Couple of ideas for you.

Try reverting driver back to 446.16 as the latest update has been reported to not be overly F1 2020 friendly. Change your anti-aliasing method to something else than 'DLSS' or 'Custom' (if DLSS is not an option). This should fix the issue.

@BarryBL Have uninstalled the updated 451.67 and reinstalled driver 446.14 as requested but the issue still happens when simulating a race.  Should add that I can simulate Practice 1 without issue.

Have also tried changing the anti-aliasing, it was set to 'TAA' but have also tried with this 'Off'.  Also tried loading the game in DX11 mode as Steam does give that option but in all cases I have been able to replicate this everytime.

Might be worth attaching your savegame so we can take a look

@BarryBL I may have made some progress with this.  I was able to create a new save and simulate australia!

This looks to be linked to the unlocked items either for car liveries or for something on the drivers, be it race suits, helmets, gloves etc.

Going to do a little bit more testing to see if I can nail it to one or the other.  I will post with what I find 🙂

3 minutes ago, Thormit said:

@BarryBL I may have made some progress with this.  I was able to create a new save and simulate australia!

This looks to be linked to the unlocked items either for car liveries or for something on the drivers, be it race suits, helmets, gloves etc.

Going to do a little bit more testing to see if I can nail it to one or the other.  I will post with what I find 🙂

Did you have the 70 edition DLC attached to your user?

No I was not using any of the items from the DLC least not to my knowledge, the only items I was using were part of the normal unlock progression:

Car Livery - Hatched
Helmet - Pin Striped
Suit - Trim
Gloves - Regal

Just going through these one by one now with a new save for each to see what one it might be.  As this is the only thing changed between it not working and it then working.

Posted (edited)

@BarryBL OK think I have found the problem.  Its not the customisation options as I originally thought, what I didn't notice was when I created a new save that time round was that I had left the race distance at 25%.  The issue appears to be that when using 100% race distance the simulation is taking a very long time or not completing.

I have varified this by using all the permutations of those customisation options to first make sure they were not the issue.  Then setting all customisation options back to the defaults. 

Once this was done I created a New Save with the Weekend Structure set as:
Practice Type: Full Practice
Practice Length: Short (30/30/30 min)
Qualifying Full: (18/15/12 min)

Formation Lap: On
Race Distance: 25%
AI Driver Level: 95

Gameplay Settings as:
Flashbacks: On
Parc Ferme Rules: On
Vehicle Damage: Simulation
Safety Car: On
Rules and Flags: On
Corner Cutting Stringency: Strict
Race Starts: Assisted
Tyre Temperature: Surface & Carcass
Drive Moves: On

With these settings I was able to then Simulate Australia which took under 30 seconds.  Using the same save I then moved on to the next race Bahrain, only I now increased the race distance to 100%, when then attempting to simulate this I was just given the black screen which I left for 10mins before killing the process.  Once I reloaded the game and entered that save I was then given the driver screen with the #2 drive getting a damage penalty, which hints that at least something was simulated.  However no points where awarded for the event.

After this I then started a new save, this time setting it to be 100% length from the start, all other settings where set as before.  This time I was not able to simulate Australia, the game instead loaded to the black screen.  Again after crashing the game out and loading back in I was given the driver screen, this time my #2 didn't hit anything, and again no points where awarded.

I'm guessing that the simulation is just taking a very long time when its set to 100% or its not completing at all.  I may try to leave it running overnight if I am able.

@blackbillymayes what race distance where you running at?

Edited by Thormit

Also having the same issue on PC. I too had my race distance set to 100%. Will test now and see if i can sim Aus on a new save at 25%.

Just finished an attempt to sim on 25% and now it works. @Thormit, You've figured it out. Thanks man, been pulling my hair out about this, now i can finally start a proper career mode after 3 failed attempts due to crashing.