Jump to content Jump to content

Career mode - F2 performance has zero impact on F1 start

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here

- No matter how you perform in the F2 experience portion of the career mode, it has zero impact on your starting position in F1.

Absolutely no difference at all. Exactly the same acclaim level (6), exactly the same starting money ($300k), exactly the same starting resource points (2,750), exactly the same market value ($2m), exactly the same contract length (132d) and exactly the same driver perks (none).

This is despite each experience saying "How you perform will affect how you are viewed in Formula 1".

The following thread has plenty of additional information on this if required: 

2.       Platform

I'm on Xbox One X but have had confirmation from other forum users that this is also the same on PC and PS4.

3.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 

4.       Game-mode? 

Carrer mode with F2 experience

5.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

Performed the following tests:

Started 2 careers with the F2 taster experience. Both saves had the same settings (5 laps, 0% AI). Both saves I'd chosen the same driver academy (Mercedes), the same F2 team (Carlin) and answered no comment to every question from Claire so the only variable was performance.

Save 1: Intentionally suffered terminal damage on lap one in each race.

Save 2: Won each race (by a large margin) therefore winning the championship.

6.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue

n/a outside of the tests mentioned above.

7.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Logitech G920 and official Xbox one controller

8.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears. 

Pending

Edited by CarloLewis
  • Agree 6

Description

When I started my Driver Career, I chose to include a full season of F2 (all races, 50% distance) because it stated "How you perform will affect how you are viewed in Formula 1", and believed it would add some extra dynamics to my character's stats, i.e. acclaim, value and general reputation. I also assumed it would influence which teams would be available to me at the start of the F1 part of the career i.e. if I perform badly, then I'd only have the choice of the lower teams (like with the F1 2012 Young Driver Program).

When I started, I chose to not be connected with any academy.

There was no feedback throughout the F2 season on how my performances were affecting my F1 chances. The only rather odd thing I did notice was that training programs were included in practice, but not giving out points. I understood this as R&D points weren't required because all F2 cars are equal, but depending on how you perform with them, they would also add to your reputation. I thought it was a hidden "under the hood" mechanic. They were there, therefore there had to be a reason for them. So I did every single one of them as best I could.

@CarloLewis states above he answered no comment to every question from Claire - I had ZERO interaction with Claire throughout my F2 season, no cutscenes or questions with her at all. I was winning races and had the odd crash out, at no time did I get a screen with Claire. It felt like I was playing last year's F2 championship mode - complete a race, go onto the next, nothing in between. As I said, I had zero feedback on what effect my performances would give for the future.

I completed the F2 career over several days and finished 3rd. I was then faced with a simple "choose your team" screen. All teams were available and there was no feedback on what affect my performances had on these teams in terms of how they viewed me or on my character. Just a vehicle performance graph.

During the F2 cutscene, it says that my performance would allow me to "more easily negotiate with the top teams on the grid" - there was no negotiation or contract screen, either.

When I chose a team (I chose Williams), my value was $250k. In MyTeam, Schumacher is worth $1m and Aitken is worth $1.5m by default - I finished 3rd in F2 and both of them finished below me, so surely if F2 had an effect on how I was viewed in F1, then my value should have been at least equal to them, if not more.

@CarloLewis also stated his acclaim was 6 when starting F1, mine was 1. I have no idea if this is a result on who you choose to drive for in F1, but I assumed it would be affected by your F2 performance.

Platform
PC

Game Version

Game Mode
Driver Career mode with F2 included

Replication
I hope you can appreciate that I simply don't have the time to replicate a full season of 50% races again, so the 3 race scenario will have to do.

Again, please note the following:
In my original full length 50% distance F2 season I had zero interaction with Claire (no screens, questions, cutscenes, nothing), had zero "negotiation" with F1 teams other than a "pick a team" screen with all teams being available, joined Williams, had 1 acclaim and was worth $250k.

Replication 1:
F2 mode, 3 race scenario option, 5 laps per race.

Race 1: Finished 6th in the first race at Austria, after which I *did* get a chat with Claire.
Race 2: Won, again had a chat with Claire
Race 3: 7th, again had a chat with Claire. Supposedly I came 2nd in the championship, but was first told that I'd won the championship (Latifi won it), then asked about being 2nd. I'll log this as a separate bug.

Got to the F1 screen, again - just a plain "choose your team" screen. No "negotiation" or feedback.
1080110_20200714140939_1.thumb.png.2eb60011ac09701bb38ada6dd11351fa.png

Chose Williams again and again, value was $250k, acclaim 1. No extra acclaim for finishing higher, so I'm guessing that's influenced by who you join.

Replication 2
This time, I will be deliberately crashing out of each race and taking out other drivers if possible. Again, 3 race scenario, 5 laps, no academy chosen.

Race 1: Crashed into someone, retired. Chat with Claire.
Race 2: Crashed into someone, retired. Chat with Claire.
Race 3: Crashed into someone, retired. Chat with Claire.

Taken to the F1 screen - same as before, have the choice of any team, no restrictions despite my awful performance. And this time, I chose Mercedes and found my acclaim was 6, with a value of $2m.

1080110_20200714144340_1.thumb.png.49d437c7f7ba11c69ab7d2d8444001ab.png

There appears to be absolutely no correlation between how you perform in F2 and how the F1 teams view you, despite the statement in the above screenshot.

Troubleshooting
n/a

Peripherals
PS3 Dualshock 3 gamepad via SCPToolkit

Edited by s00zster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Just now, CarloLewis said:

Thanks @s00zster for the fantastic level of detail. I forgot to mention in my original report that both times I'd chosen Mercedes as my F1 team. I wonder if the reason the acclaim level starts at 6 is to do with the driver academy choice?

I'll give this a test later.

In my 2nd replication, selected no academy (as I have done at all times) and despite deliberately crashing out of all 3 F2 races, I chose Mercedes and got 6 acclaim / $2m value. It seems to be purely based on the F1 team you pick. F2 has zero effect on anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, s00zster said:

There was no feedback throughout the F2 season on how my performances were affecting my F1 chances. The only rather odd thing I did notice was that training programs were included in practice, but not giving out points. I understood this as R&D points weren't required because all F2 cars are equal, but depending on how you perform with them, they would also add to your reputation. I thought it was a hidden "under the hood" mechanic. They were there, therefore there had to be a reason for them. So I did every single one of them as best I could.

This is brutal. I'm glad I didn't mess with Career yet as I would naturally go the same route as you.

• Agree 2
Just now, marioho said:

This is brutal. I'm glad I didn't mess with Career yet as I would naturally go the same route as you.

I mean, F1 career mode is fine, it works properly, it's just the F2 integration that's broken. It's like once you get into F1, it's like you've just skipped F2 and you're starting from scratch.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, s00zster said:

I mean, F1 career mode is fine, it works properly, it's just the F2 integration that's broken. It's like once you get into F1, it's like you've just skipped F2 and you're starting from scratch.

Yeah, I understand that. What I meant was that I'd probably try my best to competently complete the Practice Programmes on F2 too just thinking it would revert to goodies down the road, like better driver acclaim or better contract terms. And we all probably spend more time on FP programmes than actually racing, so there's that aggravating circumstance too.

• Agree 2
2 minutes ago, marioho said:

Yeah, I understand that. What I meant was that I'd probably try my best to competently complete the Practice Programmes on F2 too just thinking it would revert to goodies down the road, like better driver acclaim or better contract terms. And we all probably spend more time on FP programmes than actually racing, so there's that aggravating circumstance too.

Yeah, this annoyed me. The amount of time I spent on the practice programs, and I'm not completely fond of them but if there's something to come out from doing them, then I'll do them. At the time I thought "What's going on? Oh hang on, cars are equal, no R&D. Must be a reason for them being there, though. They wouldn't be there otherwise. It'll pay off at the end of the season." but nope. 😶

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just a quick update to confirm that after starting a new save and this time jumping straight into F1, there is absolutely no difference in my starting conditions compared to when I finished 3rd in my full F2 season on my previous save. Same acclaim, driver value, etc.

F2 had no effect whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Administrator

Update here: By Design. We don’t want to restrict the player from choosing any team after finishing F2. The only part of F2 which does make a difference is the Driver Academy. That does make a small amount of Driver Acclaim difference if you sign for a team which your academy is affiliated with.

• Confused 1
  • Disagree 1
1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

Update here: By Design. We don’t want to restrict the player from choosing any team after finishing F2. The only part of F2 which does make a difference is the Driver Academy. That does make a small amount of Driver Acclaim difference if you sign for a team which your academy is affiliated with.

But with this sentence " "How you perform will affect how you are viewed in Formula 1". the message was, that the result in F2 has affects on the choice of f1 Team. And this is clearly not given. This sentence gave us an expectation and a immersive Motivation for finishing f2 races with good results. 

Nevertheless you've made a great game. Congrats to that! But this decision of you, CM, makes the f2 career before f1 just a bit senseless, what surely disappoint some of us.

Edited by DonBlanko
  • Agree 3
1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

But it says "How you perform will affect how you are viewed in F1" on all three F2 options. I'm sure you can appreciate that choosing an academy isn't "performing". There is no other way you can take this other than "F1 teams will view you in different ways depending on your results". And why were those practice programs even in there? That is, again, giving the false impression of "better performance, better career prospects".

Also, the fact there is the option to jump straight into F1 with no restrictions, I thought that was the point? Do that, or see how high you can climb the ladder from the bottom first in F2? And again, the "perform" quote before you select it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sorry @BarryBL (this isn't aimed at you but you are our conduit to the Dev team), that's a terrible decision. I can only let you know how severely frustrated and disappointed I am that this is by design.

With this news. The F2 section of career is more pointless than last year's! The fact that it explicitly states "How you perform will will affect how you are viewed in F1" is incredibly incorrect and the giving the player the option to skip F2 all togher should be enough to satisfy the casual player.

I can also sort of understand that you don't want to restrict a player who may have finished last in F2 from choosing to go with Mercedes. But the fact that it makes zero difference to your acclaim, contract or perks is absolutely baffling. It's no different from completing an F2 championship in last year's game then starting a career.

Additionally, what is the intention of the points for the practice programs if they play no bearing on your F2 career?

I was super excited when I'd read previews that this would be a thing. I can only assume that the journalists were just as misled.

Edited by CarloLewis
  • Agree 5
3 minutes ago, CarloLewis said:

Additionally, what is the intention of the points for the practice programs if they play no bearing on your F2 career?

There are no points given in the practice programs, but this makes them even more... well, pointless. Like I said, I thought they must've been there for a reason.

The fact that I did *every single one* as well as I could... I mean, I wasted 4 days on F2 because I thought it meant something. My entire Early Access time. I'm just dumbfounded by the whole thing, really.

7 minutes ago, CarloLewis said:

I can also sort of understand that you don't want to restrict a player who may have finished last in F2 from choosing to go with Mercedes. But the fact that it makes zero difference to your acclaim, contract or perks is absolutely baffling. It's no different from completing an F2 championship in last year's game then starting a career.

My belief was that it would unlock teams according to your performance (there's that word again), much like the Young Driver Test in F1 2012. An 8 year old game and it had this mechanic down perfectly.

There are people out there still playing F2 believing that their time and effort is being put into a meaningful career progression, so I'm going to put the statement in the F1 Chat thread, partly for more exposure and partly because this is really just for bug reports.

• Agree 4

Aw man this is ****, glad av not started normal career yet

It's actual poor poor patter it even says its gonna affect how your viewed that line in itself basically says perform **** get a **** f1 team perform good and you'll have a choice of good and ****

Edited by Gordoooo

Yeah I would agree it's a terrible decision.

If you want free choice of what F1 team to start then make that possible with the straight to F1 option.
Or if you still want a player who has chosen to do F2 but been rubbish to have free choice just have a toggle where you can enable or disable team offers based on F2 performance.

The line about your F2 performance will affect how you are viewed in F1 seems completely incorrect. I played the F2 races believing it would at least affect the starting team offers, possibly even my contract and starting perks. 

I've also reported a bug where if you do the 3 race F2 taster you cannot enable safety car or formation lap in the following F1 career.

• Agree 3
  • 6 months later...

I did a full F2 season and won the Championship but got no feedback through the season, no mention of F1 at all, no interaction. Then when I went into F1 it was exactly the same as when I jumped straight in. 

I still think there's a great benefit from doing the full season, especially as a new player as it helps teach you the basic skills ready for F1 but I did expect some sort of bonus (or otherwise depending on performance) from doing the F2 season. 

I choose the Mercedes/Williams academy option as the start of F2 but got to choose from all teams when starting F1