F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

British GP unraceable

Hey everybody, Ive got a small trouble completing British GP in My Team mode. I started firts season on 98 diff. and last few races Im on 105 (as usual from years before). But now on the silverstone Im slow as hell. Ive been working on my setup whole day but the AI just mocks me like 1,5 sec in quali. I swallowed my pride and accepted 101 diff (just wanna play on ultimate) but the racing is wierd. The AI are capable of following each other like a car lenght in the corners and I just cant stay behind, losing almost half a second in maggots and becketts in the traffic. Of course I changed my wings on higher but its the same story on every try.
On the other hand... what the hell is the AI’s straight line speed? With my wings on 3/5, 6/6 etc. (Ive tried every possible wing setup) they just past me on straight like Im driving a bus. 

I dont care if Im last, Im just curios if any gamer here feels AI is so GOAT in Silverstone. Id love to have a consistent AI speed so I dont have to lower the difficulty on tracks here and there. Maybe I just suck in the Britain, but Silverstone was always one of my strong circuits. 

thank you for your time, guys

• Agree 1

Didn't have too much trouble at Silverstone, came 8th by absolutely Trulli training my way into a good position, Merc engine helped keep cars behind in the fast sections. Albon got by at the end with DRS and likely over take button which he should be able to with the difference between a RBR car and the myteam car.

• Haha 1

I will concede that I have not raced Britain in My Team just yet but I raced them in Grand Prix mode on 100 difficulty and managed to beat my teammate fairly handsomely. However, when qualifying for the Weekly Event, I only got 10th place on 102 difficulty, but my time ended up being 35th in the world of a little over 2000 entries. I was about 4 tenths off of of pole position in my quali, the time for which would have been about 25th in the world, if memory serves me correctly. Hard to imagine that only 20 or so people are capable of racing and keeping pace with AI above 102...

So take from that what you will. You might want to take another pass on your setup, too. I was absolutely horrifically bad on tracks like China (which offer a similar balance of corners to Silverstone) until I managed to get a lot less understeer from the car. That might be part of the issue.

5 minutes ago, SavageXRDS said:

I will concede that I have not raced Britain in My Team just yet but I raced them in Grand Prix mode on 100 difficulty and managed to beat my teammate fairly handsomely. However, when qualifying for the Weekly Event, I only got 10th place on 102 difficulty, but my time ended up being 35th in the world of a little over 2000 entries. I was about 4 tenths off of of pole position in my quali, the time for which would have been about 25th in the world, if memory serves me correctly. Hard to imagine that only 20 or so people are capable of racing and keeping pace with AI above 102...

So take from that what you will. You might want to take another pass on your setup, too. I was absolutely horrifically bad on tracks like China (which offer a similar balance of corners to Silverstone) until I managed to get a lot less understeer from the car. That might be part of the issue.

My issue is lack of straight line speed and understeer is really bad behind another cars,its a different story on clear lap. Im running quite new Mercedes engine components, max usage is about 46% at the start of the race. 
I gor your point. For example in China I had no issue with driveability, not even closely behind another cars, just straight line speed was a bit lower. Same in Spain and France. 
At circuits like Baku and Austria I was to my suprise running front midfield pace, racing Mclarens and Renaults. I think Im capable of making an acceptable setup. But the Britain... Haas was faster than me in quali. In the race everybody were faster than me 😄

47 minutes ago, Suprmagicmarcel said:

Hey everybody, Ive got a small trouble completing British GP in My Team mode. I started firts season on 98 diff. and last few races Im on 105 (as usual from years before). But now on the silverstone Im slow as hell. Ive been working on my setup whole day but the AI just mocks me like 1,5 sec in quali. I swallowed my pride and accepted 101 diff (just wanna play on ultimate) but the racing is wierd. The AI are capable of following each other like a car lenght in the corners and I just cant stay behind, losing almost half a second in maggots and becketts in the traffic. Of course I changed my wings on higher but its the same story on every try.
On the other hand... what the hell is the AI’s straight line speed? With my wings on 3/5, 6/6 etc. (Ive tried every possible wing setup) they just past me on straight like Im driving a bus. 

I dont care if Im last, Im just curios if any gamer here feels AI is so GOAT in Silverstone. Id love to have a consistent AI speed so I dont have to lower the difficulty on tracks here and there. Maybe I just suck in the Britain, but Silverstone was always one of my strong circuits. 

thank you for your time, guys

It's probably one of their strongest track if not the strongest. Definitely OP at least on high levels. In general you have to use rich mix and overtake to match them. They use 4-5 wings but they're are faster than 4-5.

OP acceleration and straight line speed in general for the AI so I wasn't surprised they are so strong at Silverstone.

I think Silverstone is this year's Paul Ricard. One of their weakest tracks of the previous year become one of their strongest.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Suprmagicmarcel said:

I'm midway through my season on My Team, but I'd wager the car will perform similarly to the backmarkers from F1 2019 Career upgrade wise.

I feel you. Last year my McLaren just couldn't cope with top speed and I was a shame on overtaking and defending on straights, the worse offenders being the long ones with DRS zones.

Drag (Aero) and pure Engine Power (Powertrain) are your answers on the R&D department. 

I have a log of my performance in an Excel spreadsheet for F1 2019. On Russia season 1 my top speed was 338.5 kph with the fastest AI being 342 kph, a 1.03% difference. Season 2 I reached 345 with the fastest AI reaching 343,8, meaning a 0.35% gap in my favour this time. Granted, I had learned how to optimize the ERS modes 4 and 5 for maximum top speed, but the bulk of the difference came from upgrading drag and engine power.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SavageXRDS said:

Not every race Im on 105, its the highest I was competitive with my teammate, it was for 4 races so far I think, Im slowly gaining speed in the game. As I said - I started about 98 if I remember correctly, every round when I gain half a second in quali on my team mate I put up the difficulty for next round. But the Silverstone is a bit of a shock, my strong track and suddenly Im 1.5 behind my team mate. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, marioho said:

I'm midway through my season on My Team, but I'd wager the car will perform similarly to the backmarkers from F1 2019 Career upgrade wise.

I feel you. Last year my McLaren just couldn't cope with top speed and I was a shame on overtaking and defending on straights, the worse offenders being the long ones with DRS zones.

Drag (Aero) and pure Engine Power (Powertrain) are your answers on the R&D department. 

I have a log of my performance in an Excel spreadsheet for F1 2019. On Russia season 1 my top speed was 338.5 kph with the fastest AI being 342 kph, a 1.03% difference. Season 2 I reached 345 with the fastest AI reaching 343,8, meaning a 0.35% gap in my favour this time. Granted, I had learned how to optimize the ERS modes 4 and 5 for maximum top speed, but the bulk of the difference came from upgrading drag and engine power.

Yes, Im focusing on the engine power and drag and as I said before, my oldest Mercedes component is 46% used. The main point is that in Austria and Baku I had no trouble keeping up on the straights with cars around me. Silverstone is completely different, on the straight after Mag and Bec I could be a 2 cars away from car in front of me and with Rich and Overtake enable for the whole straight I can keep up, but its not possible to use rich and overtake on all straights every single lap. And without ERS and overtake I jist wanish like 5-10 cars lenght

Edited by Suprmagicmarcel

What a coincidence, today's GP is Silverstone. And it used to be quite a good track for me performance wise. Comparing to other similarly good tracks for me:

image.png.94c5a5647dc6e64e9f3e382a12e56e65.png

That's a 102% increase on the average gap between me and pole.

The rival times shouldn't matter that much as the teams performance change a tad in between. At first I was tallying myself against Haas, then Alpha Tauri and now back to Haas again.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, marioho said:

What a coincidence, today's GP is Silverstone. And it used to be quite a good track for me performance wise. Comparing to other similarly good tracks for me:

image.png.94c5a5647dc6e64e9f3e382a12e56e65.png

That's a 102% increase on the average gap between me and pole.

The rival times shouldn't matter that much as the teams performance change a tad in between. At first I was tallying myself against Haas, then Alpha Tauri and now back to Haas again.

Interesting, my quali in Austria was 1:04,1 and Silverstone was 1:28,4. Seems like Im really slow there

Edited by Suprmagicmarcel
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Suprmagicmarcel said:

Interesting, my quali in Austria was 1:04,1 and Silverstone was 1:28,4. Seems like Im really slow there

I hold Austria more dearly. I'd trade my Silverstone time for your Austria one kind sir.

Check your tyre temps.

There's a lot of long corners at Silverstone and you really need to be careful this year with your tyres. They tend to overheat during the Maggots Becketts complex and that will cause huge understeer. It would also stop you getting on the power so early because your fronts aren't gripping.

I have noticed the AI being insanely quick on the straights at some circuits. Hanoi, France and GB spring to mind but they can often seem to match your DRS/ERS/Slipstream speed. Doesn't seem to happen when you're not really close to them though.

Had also some trouble with Silverstone. I'm playing on 102 and Bottas was half a second faster than the world record in time trial😅

• Haha 1

I play on a 105% difficulty with no assists and on the pad. My goodness... The most overpowered track in the game, I have seen so far from the ai. It’s arguably worse than Suzuka in F1 2019. I am now at Silverstone in My team. Today, I did a practice race in Grand Prix mode as Bottas. Hamilton was at least 0.6-1.0 quicker than me. Albon and Verstappen in the Red Bull were somehow matching Hamilton’s lap times whilst the Ferrari drivers were just within 0.1-0.3 of me. I am forced to find some pace, and that is considering I run 3 front wing and 6 rear wing with 1 front ride height and 3 rear ride height. I was shocked to see that Albon was matching my top speed at the end of the Hangar Straight and that was without neither of us using overtake, and I was using Rich fuel mix. The gap though to Albon was quite stable for most of the race, at around 1.5-2.0 seconds. 

So far, I have only driven the races in which I am in my My Team career, and among the first 12 tracks in the calendar, this has been the worst in terms of ai pace. I am still baffled how I lose almost at maximum 0.5 in the first sector to the ai... I have been forced to run Rich fuel for most of the lap... I only used lean in the loop section, brooklands, luffield and at vale, whilst for the second sector I run rich until the end of the Hangar Straight... Gonna need to find some pace with setup changes or driving style... 

I finished 19th there but I did start last after some grid penalties, Latifi was the only car I could get in front of on track. Just put it down to a bad day really.

I'm fine with Silverstone barring the acceleration zone that leads on to the Wellington Straight - regardless of what car setup I use, what racing line I take or how gentle/aggressive I am with throttle, I lose at least 3 tenths of a second to AI here.

6 minutes ago, Turtlemoose said:

I'm fine with Silverstone barring the acceleration zone that leads on to the Wellington Straight - regardless of what car setup I use, what racing line I take or how gentle/aggressive I am with throttle, I lose at least 3 tenths of a second to AI here.

Interesting. That could be the reason why I am losing at most 0.5 of a second to the ai in the first sector. I have had to run rich fuel almost the entire lap to keep up with the ai. After some driving adjustments, I was able to keep up with Hamilton when playing as Bottas. I also lowered the front wing by 1 click in the 2nd stint. However, I need to check where else I am losing time. It still requires me to drive 100% all race long.

Funny that the Red Bulls and Ferraris cannot keep up with me once I get ahead of them, but once they are in front, they do similar pace to me. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Krisperfectline said:

Interesting. That could be the reason why I am losing at most 0.5 of a second to the ai in the first sector. I have had to run rich fuel almost the entire lap to keep up with the ai. After some driving adjustments, I was able to keep up with Hamilton when playing as Bottas. I also lowered the front wing by 1 click in the 2nd stint. However, I need to check where else I am losing time. It still requires me to drive 100% all race long.

Funny that the Red Bulls and Ferraris cannot keep up with me once I get ahead of them, but once they are in front, they do similar pace to me. 

Acceleration corners like the long right hander at China that leads on to the back straight, the last corner at Bahrain, last corner at Brazil, chicane between two straights at Abu Dhabi, Hairpin at Suzuka, Austria Turn 2, France Chicane exit - I find A.I are a decent match and seems ok.

However corners like the one I mentioned before Wellington Straight, right-left hander on to back straight at France, Turns 1 & 2 exit at Bahrain, entrance to Monaco tunnel, tight left hander on to back straight at Netherlands, exit of chicane at Suzuka,  I honestly believe A.I are overpowered. I know people will say I need to fine tune car setup or mention about being too aggressive on the throttle, but if this was the case then surely I would have the same issues at the first list of corners mentioned too?

Edited by Turtlemoose

There is something artificial about the AI straight line speed on certain tracks, this being one of them.

Posted (edited)

I can't talk for real about the AI being overpowered as details on what aspects of the game are fully or only cappedly simulated for the AI are not clear. However, the AI runs on a relatively high rear toe setting (0.35) and one huge effect it has on the car is allowing one to put down power early and hard. It's like the AI doesn't need to feather down the throttle when exiting a corner like we do. 

Edit: like most of you I do struggle to catch up with the AI on Silverstone. More than on other tracks.

Edited by marioho

AI have insane launch off corners was worse last year.  I alway lose alot of time to the ai in the final chicane/corner complex.  Dont have as much an issue around the rest of the lap but its one of the few tracks i always under perform at against ai drivers.

9 hours ago, marioho said:

I can't talk for real about the AI being overpowered as details on what aspects of the game are fully or only cappedly simulated for the AI are not clear. However, the AI runs on a relatively high rear toe setting (0.35) and one huge effect it has on the car is allowing one to put down power early and hard. It's like the AI doesn't need to feather down the throttle when exiting a corner like we do. 

Edit: like most of you I do struggle to catch up with the AI on Silverstone. More than on other tracks.

I may try to run the rear toe at that setting. If it can give an easier time applying the throttle, then it could be worth a try. I lose at leaat 0.3 in the first sector at Silverstone and it all appears from the exit of the Loop complex... 

1 hour ago, Krisperfectline said:

I may try to run the rear toe at that setting. If it can give an easier time applying the throttle, then it could be worth a try. I lose at leaat 0.3 in the first sector at Silverstone and it all appears from the exit of the Loop complex... 

It's certainly worth a try but don't forget to balance your setup. There will always be drawbacks from setting a slider one more click to either side. The toe in on the rear axle will immediately increase your tyre wear (though probably to a manageable or maybe even neglectable degree) and as it makes the car more inclined to keep on travelling at the same direction, you may feel it slightly sluggish depending on the scenario. The balancing measures will depend on how your car will behave under your driving style.

3 hours ago, marioho said:

It's certainly worth a try but don't forget to balance your setup. There will always be drawbacks from setting a slider one more click to either side. The toe in on the rear axle will immediately increase your tyre wear (though probably to a manageable or maybe even neglectable degree) and as it makes the car more inclined to keep on travelling at the same direction, you may feel it slightly sluggish depending on the scenario. The balancing measures will depend on how your car will behave under your driving style.

It did help in getting better traction. However, I found out that using overtake out of the loop solved the problem and I am now matching the ai in the first sector. I gained 1-3 tenths by using 5-10% of the overtake just out of the loop. Now I can compete with the ai, but I must not let them get out of drs zone.