Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

Slipstreaming

2 hours ago, greg172 said:

Anyone else find the slipstreaming not powerful enough? At times in 2019 i thought it was a bit too powerful but i really dont notice a difference when u get into a slipstream on 2020, even with ers and drs.

I do. Slipstream is not existing on this game. I can't call it slipstream if it gives just 2-3 kph more speed on straight.

• Agree 1

Agree completely. I like the effects of dirty air, but to have that without any sort of resemblance of slipstream is odd to say the least. Need to get a few league races done before getting a full picture, though. At least now it's possible to pull away from the car you've overtaken. We'll see if overtaking itself is possible on a closely matched rival.

I think it's fine, more realistic than last year. If you've watched the Austrian / Styrian GPs, you'll see that even with a car within 1 second of the car in front, plus using DRS, it can take them multiple laps before they can get close enough to overtake.

I'm having the best racing ever thanks to this. Hope they don't change it.

• Agree 6
36 minutes ago, s00zster said:

I think it's fine, more realistic than last year. If you've watched the Austrian / Styrian GPs, you'll see that even with a car within 1 second of the car in front, plus using DRS, it can take them multiple laps before they can get close enough to overtake.

I'm not saying there's should be a big tow 1 second away. I'm talking about being right on the tail of another car. That's when the slipstream effect IRL has a bigger impact than DRS. Currently I feel the slipstream is ok, but when driving 0-2 tenths away it should be way more effective.

Here's an example from the Styrian GP you mentioned (Norris vs. Perez):

https://youtu.be/fMqUDxniTZs?t=202

Edited by janbonator
  • Agree 1
37 minutes ago, s00zster said:

What are you talking about? Slipstream is basically inexistent in this game, the only way to gain places is by a combined use of overtake button and DRS.

Also is there even dirty air on the game? I feel like it doesn't exist either so it all balances it out.

1 minute ago, Akkan74 said:

That was normally the reason to implement OP and DRS in Formula 1.

Well obviously but look at overtakes in real life with NO DRS. The slipstreaming is amazing, it is VERY powerful, especially if you are closer to the car. Hell, even if the car in front has DRS and you don't, the slipstream effect is so great that you might be able to overtake the car in front.

Perez vs Norris onboard camera can give you false assumptions. Perez overshot the corner, compromised his exit, whereas Norris took it better and had more ideal exit and the advantage over Perez. There are lot more things going on in real life than just pure slipstream effect.

• Agree 2
Just now, LILLHELM said:

Old quote from Timo Glock (translated):

"I had help from Nico Rosberg," admitted Glock. "He drove in front of me and gave me slipstream. That helps even at a distance of 100 meters .....

When was that, 2012? Different cars now.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1
2 minutes ago, LILLHELM said:

Old quote from Timo Glock (translated):

"I had help from Nico Rosberg," admitted Glock. "He drove in front of me and gave me slipstream. That helps even at a distance of 100 meters .....

That quote is irrelevant nowadays.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Mercedes chief engineer Andrew Shovlin:

"In the case of spa, it's around four to five km / h, which can take you three or four tenths of a second. Quite a lot if you position your car correctly."

Quote from 2019 - again too old ????

And that's about qualifying games. Not to overtake 2m close behind the other car. What is much more .....

If you compare real F1, there are many datas we don't have. If the second car has a corner exit with 186km/h and the car in front has 180km/h, the overtake isn't only due to slipstream. It might help, but we can't really know the real strenght of it. There are so many little differences due to races, we clearly don't know. Every year again I'm surprised about the comments from some user like "it's not like in real life". Must be a huge amount of people here, which really have driven a race car.

Would like to have an opinion from Norris or Leclerc about it. For sure they "know" how it should be.

Edited by Akkan74

You just have to look for slipstream games from past qualifying sessions. Then you already have an idea how big the effect is.

F1 2020 is a wonderful and official F1 game. So it should be easy for developers to get official data regarding slipstream. You just have to ask ....

31 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

Perez vs Norris onboard camera can give you false assumptions. Perez overshot the corner, compromised his exit, whereas Norris took it better and had more ideal exit and the advantage over Perez. There are lot more things going on in real life than just pure slipstream effect.

I agree you can't make assumptions based on one clip, but that same video has several examples. You can also hear how the engine starts revving higher or lower depending on if there's a slipstream or not. In terms of Norris vs. Perez, Perez is actually pulling away from Norris on the exit before Lando slots in behind Perez.

It's only logical if you think about it. Opening up your rear wing gives you a clear advantage on the straight, right? The reason is decreased air resistance, or drag, and it works exactly like driving in a slipstream. If you're right behind another car, you are "opening" almost the entire car instead of just the rear wing.