Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

Slipstreaming

1 hour ago, janbonator said:

Bottas was in DRS range for 1 lap. He closed down 0.5 seconds on Verstappen on the straight.

Of course slipstream is useless in corners, which Hungaroring is full of.

Bottas was way faster than Verstappen during his laps without traffic. After he closed the gap to Verstappen up to 1 or 1,5 sec, he had a really hard time to come closer.

At approx. 250km/h 1sec gap is 70m. That's not really much compared to some claims here in this thread for the distance of slipstream effect. He could close the gap a little bit, but even with a faster car he couldn't overtake.

In my opinion it was a good example how "strong" the slipstream really works. If i read some post it's more like "oh, i can't fly by. even with DRS. there must be something wrong"

And again, for all complains about some player couldn't past during a straight even with DRS. Such complain could only be investigated, if we have the complete telemetry data. None of them know exactly the corner exit speed of both cars, the engine modes, use of overtake...

Edited by Akkan74
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 minute ago, Akkan74 said:

Bottas was way faster than Verstappen during his laps without traffic. After he closed the gap to Verstappen up to 1 or 1,5 sec, he had a really hard time to come closer.

At approx. 250km/h 1sec gap is 70m. That's not really much compared to some claims here in this thread. He could close the gap a little bit, but even with a faster car he couldn't overtake.

In my opinion it was a good example how "strong" the slipstream really works. If i read some post it's more like "oh, i can't fly by. even with DRS. there must be something wrong"

And again, for all complains about some player couldn't past during a straight even with DRS. Such complain could only be investigated, if we have the complete telemetry data. None of them know exactly the corner exit speed of both cars, the engine modes, use of overtake...

Yes, Bottas couldn't close in. That has nothing to do with slipstream and all to do with dirty air. At no point was I saying slipstream should be strong outside DRS range.

At Monza the speed when crossing the DRS line is around 330km/h I believe, which translates to 90+ meters for a one second gap. Currently, even at that speed and a gap of 10 meters there is still practically no slipstream. I think DRS in the game is well balanced but it makes no sense that it is stronger than slipstreaming right behind another car at very high speeds.

As for the last part, I watched the stream of our league race and know fully well how my opponents used their batteries & engine modes, as well as their exit speeds because we were constantly within 0.5 seconds.

• Codemasters Staff
3 hours ago, TSR Zinker said:

Thanks for clearing this up.

But how about the slipstream? I think by now almost everyone can agree and see with their own eyes that it's too weak on the game and plus the dirty air (which is fine) is produces these trains and the only way to fix it is to make the slipstream effect more realistic and basically much stronger than it currently is. 

Slipstream in real life is even more powerful than DRS. You see cars passing each other by sitting right behind another car in the slipstream while the car ahead has DRS opened. You could use the slipstream as a tool for racing if you have the race craft and intelligence/experience of how to do it. Otherwise the racing online becomes very dull with a competitive field.

I like as it is, and if you want real life, then you are welcome to lose 50% downforce every corner when behind someone. 

There isn't too much to say, it is my gameplay choice here, and someone will like, someone won't. 

• Thanks 3
  • Agree 6
  • 7 months later...
On 7/20/2020 at 8:58 PM, Dunky1980 said:

Well I love it David it was the right choice and makes a racing so much better. 

On 7/20/2020 at 9:34 PM, SIMRACER123 said:

Personally i think its perfectly balanced right now. Havent come across a game more enjoyable. 

6-7 months later I'm sure you guys will have realised that it's complete rubbish, unrealistic and only destroys the racing.

I have more slipstream effect in Need for Speed games than F1 haha

• Agree 2
  • 2 months later...

Slipstream here exist but there is no realism - 2020 car generate so much dirty air, so its hard to stay behind in corners etc. In game it is working like that, u have super grip when you drive behind other cars xD

On 3/2/2021 at 4:24 PM, TSR Zinker said:

6-7 months later I'm sure you guys will have realised that it's complete rubbish, unrealistic and only destroys the racing.

I have more slipstream effect in Need for Speed games than F1 haha

Yep, more wake effect and much higher slipstream force is needed.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:31 AM, MacmuS said:

Slipstream here exist but there is no realism - 2020 car generate so much dirty air, so its hard to stay behind in corners etc. In game it is working like that, u have super grip when you drive behind other cars xD

It depends how close you get. If you're too close you'll find there is an effect in the game.

• Agree 2

Analyzing the performance files of the car the choice was interesting.
In 2019 we had a dirty air value of 0.9, meaning you have 90% downforce when following, and a ""drag" value of 0.85, meaning -15% resistance on the straights.
In 2020 we have a dirty air value of 0.85, meaning you lose 15% downforce instead of 10, so the dirty air effect is enhanced a bit. Of course I never drove a F1 car therefore I don't know if it's realistic or not, some people say that for it to be realisticly accurate dirty air should be at 0.55 meaning you have almost half the downforce, but like this it would be boring and unplayable. Also in 2020 drag is 0.9, so instead of -15% we have -10% resistance, resulting in a less powerful slipstreaming effect compared to 2019.

12 minutes ago, HenricusVonG said:

Analyzing the performance files of the car the choice was interesting.
In 2019 we had a dirty air value of 0.9, meaning you have 90% downforce when following, and a ""drag" value of 0.85, meaning -15% resistance on the straights.
In 2020 we have a dirty air value of 0.85, meaning you lose 15% downforce instead of 10, so the dirty air effect is enhanced a bit. Of course I never drove a F1 car therefore I don't know if it's realistic or not, some people say that for it to be realisticly accurate dirty air should be at 0.55 meaning you have almost half the downforce, but like this it would be boring and unplayable. Also in 2020 drag is 0.9, so instead of -15% we have -10% resistance, resulting in a less powerful slipstreaming effect compared to 2019.

Interesting. Is this info. you can see in the game files on PC? Can you tell how the effect varies with distance from a car in front?

17 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Interesting. Is this info. you can see in the game files on PC? Can you tell how the effect varies with distance from a car in front?

Actually I don't know this and if this info is contained in the files I am not able to detect it. Meanings of the lines are not all upfront

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Exasperated said:

I don't understand this discussion , people keep telling me this game isn't a simulation , this sounds like a discussion about a simulation, its all very confusing.

Actually I don't think most of the people actually desires the game to be a full simulation. I mean, a complete simulation would mean losing half of your downforce, lifting off the throttle at every bit of a fast corner, waiting 10+ laps before finally being able to perform the only or one of the 2 only overtakes you have in a race... Well then I don't think I would like the game to be a full simulation. I think that this discussion is about a compromise between a game that has to be fun yet give you the illusion of being simulative although it is not.