Jump to content
F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

T300 settings

Recommended Posts

I just checked and this is David Greco's comment I was thinking of:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I just checked and this is David Greco's comment I was thinking of:

 

That is a response to @UP100 who I believe uses the Steam version of F1 2020 with a T300???? Tagging just for clarification.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ialyrn said:

That is a response to @UP100 who I believe uses the Steam version of F1 2020 with a T300???? Tagging just for clarification.

Good point. Checking the video again it says it's recommended to make settings on the PC app for consoles, but possibly not for all of the wheels they go on to cover? I'm thinking you're probably right I wasted my time changing settings there too :classic_smile:. I didn't go back and forwards to see if they made any difference.

Edited by Ultra3142

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

That is a response to @UP100 who I believe uses the Steam version of F1 2020 with a T300???? Tagging just for clarification.
 

Correct 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

This has never been the case with those wheels, ever. Can you please link the posts in question and i will check out the linked video. Keep in mind i have been using the tx and t300 wheels for a while, and they have never stored the windows driver settings on them. So its either a recent change, or someone has picked up some misinformation and run with it.

Edit: i have reached out to Thrustmaster directly for clarification on this. But as far as information on their website goes, the Thrustmaster control panel software information as listed as only being relevent for windows pc -

I would find that very surprising, and frankly, worrying. I have a 60€ PS4 controller that can save four different profiles (sensitivities, button layouts) that can be changed on the fly on PS4 after setting them up on PC. If a 300€ wheel can't do that, well.. something's wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, janbonator said:

I would find that very surprising, and frankly, worrying. I have a 60€ PS4 controller that can save four different profiles (sensitivities, button layouts) that can be changed on the fly on PS4 after setting them up on PC. If a 300€ wheel can't do that, well.. something's wrong.

Not really. The wheel layout and FFB settings are stored in the individual games on both the console and the PC. Hell, the only reason TM still leave adjustability in their wheel software on the PC side of the fence, is because a lot of older PC racing titles on that need to have damper and spring set to 0%, because the FFB was so bad bag then. Logitech ditched the finer control of those same things when the G920 and G29 released.

Yet on the other side of the fence, I have a Logitech G502 mouse that can store multiple DPI and button layout profiles on it.

The only wheel I know off that stores information on the wheel itself, as well as having multiple profiles, is Fanatec. They have stored datate directly on the wheel base itself since at least the old 900° Porsche wheels, if not even before that time.

The TX and T300 are both based upon the T500, and that also never stored information on the wheel directly. All it does store, is wheel firmware for compatibility purposes. As well as for fan curve data, and a few other things that are required to keep the wheels running within spec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

Not really. The wheel layout and FFB settings are stored in the individual games on both the console and the PC. Hell, the only reason TM still leave adjustability in their wheel software on the PC side of the fence, is because a lot of older PC racing titles on that need to have damper and spring set to 0%, because the FFB was so bad bag then. Logitech ditched the finer control of those same things when the G920 and G29 released.

Yet on the other side of the fence, I have a Logitech G502 mouse that can store multiple DPI and button layout profiles on it.

The only wheel I know off that stores information on the wheel itself, as well as having multiple profiles, is Fanatec. They have stored datate directly on the wheel base itself since at least the old 900° Porsche wheels, if not even before that time.

The TX and T300 are both based upon the T500, and that also never stored information on the wheel directly. All it does store, is wheel firmware for compatibility purposes. As well as for fan curve data, and a few other things that are required to keep the wheels running within spec.

Interesting. So, if you're correct, the wheels are not actually fully console-compatible then?

A few weeks ago I was playing around with my T300 settings and set the spring rate from 0 to 100. After plugging it back into the PS4 I was sure I noticed a major difference in handling - but if you're right it was all a placebo. I'll try again today.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, janbonator said:

Interesting. So, if you're correct, the wheels are not actually fully console-compatible then?

That is not what I am saying at all. The wheels are still fully compatible with consoles. The PC software is just arbitrary, because all the settings you can change in racing games of today, are included in the games themselves. More often than not. The adjustability, as I said above, is a remnent mainly from an older time of force feedback, it was rudimentray, so wheel manufactures added adjustability settings into their software in an effort to offer more than their competitors.

 

5 minutes ago, janbonator said:

A few weeks ago I was playing around with my T300 settings and set the spring rate from 0 to 100. After plugging it back into the PS4 I was sure I noticed a major difference in handling - but if you're right it was all a placebo. I'll try again today. 

Quite possibly, I remember testing it myself with my old TX wheel and the Xbox One. And honestly, I never felt a difference. This was back in the days of Forza Motorsport 5, a game notorious for having really bad force feedback with built in high damper settings. So of course, I tried to remove the damper via the PC wheel control panel, because people suggested back then that the PC control panal software could make those changes and carry them over to the Xbox One. The TX was my first Thrustmaster wheels, so I had no basis to doubt their word. But the fact of the matter is, on the surface anyway. The wheels seem to forget all information once unplugged from the console/computer, baring the firmware data needed for the wheels base operation.

This is why on Thrustmaster wheel bases, the end user has to recalibrate the pedals by pressing them after the wheel base has done its self calibration. Because it forgets it all each time its unplugged.

Either way, I am still waiting for a response from Thrustmaster in regards to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

That is not what I am saying at all. The wheels are still fully compatible with consoles. The PC software is just arbitrary, because all the settings you can change in racing games of today, are included in the games themselves. More often than not. The adjustability, as I said above, is a remnent mainly from an older time of force feedback, it was rudimentray, so wheel manufactures added adjustability settings into their software in an effort to offer more than their competitors.

What I meant with fully compatible is the following: by default the T300 settings have 0 spring and 0 damper. If they really can't be changed and saved on the wheel, the console players are missing the spring effect completely, as it cannot be changed in-game.

You're right about the pedal calibration, but I'm not sure if it's "relevant", meaning that it could technically be possible for the wheel to save settings without saving pedal settings.

Will be interesting to hear what TM has to say. I'll let you know what I find in my tests, too.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ialyrn So, I tested setting the overal FFB to 0 in control panel on PC before then switching it back to PS4. It appears you were right. I still had FFB in-game. I still have a hard time understanding why it's made like this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, janbonator said:

@Ialyrn So, I tested setting the overal FFB to 0 in control panel on PC before then switching it back to PS4. It appears you were right. I still had FFB in-game. I still have a hard time understanding why it's made like this.

As said, all the settings are available in game now and it is a stand over from old racing titles where the force feedback was really bad on the pc, in order to allow people to adjust essential settings on the wheel to compensate. Most racing games these days have a good selection of ffb settings built into them now, including console releases. So you sould never have to use the settings in the driver software at all, unless you are going back to play an older title.

I know that games like assetto corsa amd forza 7 as 2 examples, both use dynamic damping and dynamic spring. So setting thise 2 items to 0% in the wheels software has a negative effect. But in older games, you would have had to lower both thise settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I made the switch from PS4 controller to T300 a week ago and spent around 15h on the T300 now. My lap times are almost equal on both devices now. However, I find you can push down the throttle earlier with the controller, while you have to be more careful with the wheel. Of course, the steering precision is much better with the wheel. But what really annoys me is the braking. I find the braking is way to sensitive with the wheel. Because of that, my corner speed is often too slow. Is there any setting for the wheel to help with the braking? 

Edited by SixtoRodriguez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SixtoRodriguez said:

I made the switch from PS4 controller to T300 a week ago and spent around 15h on the T300 now. My lap times are almost equal on both devices now. However, I find you can push down the throttle earlier with the controller, while you have to be more careful with the wheel. Of course, the steering precision is much better with the wheel. But what really annoys me is the braking. I find the braking is way to sensitive with the wheel. Because of that, my corner speed is often too slow. Is there any setting for the wheel to help with the braking? 

Settings for accelerator and brake linearity and saturation give you some control over what you're struggling with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PC setup is of no use for the consoles..Thrustmaster wrote me that a long time ago..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×