F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

MyTeam Race Pace

Hi,

Currently 6 races into my first season on MyTeam and am starting to get annoyed. My team is currently joint performance wise with Haas and better than the Williams.

I play on 75 difficulty and am able to qualify between 17th to 10th depending on track and how well I drive the lap. However, during the race my car is by far the slowest on the grid and I even struggle to stay Infront of the Williams. What could be the reason for this severe drop in pace during races when compared to qualy and practice?

Cheers 

I think it's kind of the aim. you start with a terrible car, and improve it. The game is a car building gamemode, so where is the point in giving you a flying car, first season.

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, enzo9983 said:

I think it's kind of the aim. you start with a terrible car, and improve it. The game is a car building gamemode, so where is the point in giving you a flying car, first season.

I understand that, but why am I able to qualify as high as 10th but then have absolutely no race pace? It just leaves me 6/7 seconds behind the car Infront whilst all the cars behind me just bunch up and follow in a line

• Agree 1

Normally the difficulty in race is a bit easier than in qualifying. Are you sure there is no other possible reason like tyre temperature due to wrong setup, engine temperature due to overuse of rich fuel mix, wrong use of ERS....

It's hard to judge without any evidence. Maybe you can make a short video of qualifying and race to compare.

• Agree 2

Agree with above, most likely setup (overheating tyres) related.

I’ve had no issues in general with matching my race pace to qualy pace in relation to the AI.

I did just struggle a lot at a race at Silverstone though as couldn’t keep my front tyres from overheating. Car became fairly undrivable, but was my fault as had the pressures too high, didn’t do enough “race” testing in practice. Will know for next time.

Posted (edited)

Hard to say because I have no idea how you play this game. It could be a ton of factors. Your setup could be bad, too much fuel, not enough practice, etc 

Edited by MikeV27
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your replies, however this issue is getting worse for me. I qualified 7th in Canada however on lap 8 I was 22 seconds behind 6th, whilst my teammate who was last was just 7 second behind me. Between us was a long row of cars all within a second of each other.

I'm not interested in lowering difficulty as it's just right for qualifying. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Would changing the tyre temperature settings off surface& carcass make it easier to drive the car in race?

Hmm weird, normally qualy and race pace is pretty much equal in my season, i am also now on my 7th race,AI 90.

Are you wearing out your tires? Component wear ok? Too much gasoline loaded? "Overtake" button always on? Right tyre choice?

Posted (edited)

This could be hinging much on how your car stacks against the competition on the chassis and, to a lesser degree, aero department. The overall performance chart won’t be of much use since different attributes weigh differently on different scenarios – yeah, sorry for the repetition.

On qualy you may perform well, having the whole track and the racing line all for yourself. On race though? God bless if I have to turn wide or protect from the inside. I lose tenths of a second on each and every battle. My best laps are still competitive and on par with my performance in qualy relative to other teams, but that’s because they coincide with calm laps without traffic after a pit stop for instance though.

If even your clean laps are way slower than your average on the Race Strategy programme, then there could be something to it. Your straight out pace on real Qualy and Qualy Pace programme don’t count though as you run them on Rich and Max fuel mix respectively and Hotlap ERS modes on both.

I expect to not be so severely punished for deviating from the racing line once my car has a better standing on the Chassis department. Currently I sit on bottom 2 or bottom 3 on that specific chart, that’s telling.

I’m emphasizing the chassis because weight redistribution and weight reduction play a substantial role on how your car behaves on less than ideal direction shifts and momentum changes. Meaning, basically, turning on wider or tighter angles and braking later when defending your position.

Edit: I play on AI 100 with no assists except for ABS. And on a pad. So yeah, I suffer even more under pressure as a controller is not that capable to deal with abrupt steering adjustments.

Edit the second: Comrade @kalamazoo123 has an interesting point that I had not given much thought on yet. Tyre wear. I have a total of zero upgrades on tyre wear on my chassis department as of now. And the difference on how early I can get on the throttle between say lap 4 and the first couple laps after pitting is night and day. To the point I wonder if the came took pity on me and suddenly turned TC assist on again on its own volition.  

Edited by marioho
  • Thanks 1

As a heads up, Silverstone circuit is hard, I play 110 AI, my team mate out qualified by 1.2 seconds. 

Also, I had a terrible setup, and I crashed on the first lap.

Must be tyres overheating do you have tyres on the carcus option.

Look at the diagram and it will tell you live temps find out the corners that are raising the temps the most then take it a little easier if you can.

Smoother driving also helps.

6 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

Look at the diagram

Diagram ? Do you mean the diagram in the training program ?

3 minutes ago, ndrst said:

Diagram ? Do you mean the diagram in the training program ?

Ok the MFD. There is a screen displaying your tyres, brakes and engine temperatures. It's important to keep tabs on them to know when to ease on the driving.

A hot engine for instance will obliterate your pace.

Depending on what your using wheel pad console its B on my logitech wheel that toggled through a few different screen to change fuel damage ect in the car on track theres a live tyre screen on there.

If I changed the setting from surface & carcus, could that potentially make it easier to drive in the race?

It will be easier, because you have to consider less information.

In my opinion the failure must be something different. First you shouldn't make the game easier, you should make it harder. As the third or fourth worst team in performance you shouldn't be able to qualify as tenth or above. You should fight for 18th. Than the stronger cars wouldn't drive as a train behind you.

But that wouldn't explain your performance drop between qualifying and race. For race keep in mind that you drive in different engine and ers modes than in qualifying and you will have a way heavier car. Therefore it's clear that your car is much slower in race than in qualifying.

To clarify the performance step compared to other cars it would be helpful to see a short video. Maybe three or four laps with tyre wear and tyre temperature shown in MFD.

• Like 1

Make sure you do not have overtaking mode activated all the time.  This will cause you to run without ERS energy and will inevitably be very slow.