[Steam][DLC] GRID Autosport - High Res Texture Pack & Demoman Derby Pack

Posted (edited)

I would be infinitely grateful for some assistance. I'm just trying to get some consideration and closure on this product issue. I know custservice@codemasters.com is the preferred avenue for this, but I have not been able to get any follow-up with them.

The Steam Summer Sale ran 25 June to 9 July. GRID Autosport was on sale for the first several days and then was delisted mid-sale (1 July) without any prior notice. This led to a situation whereby people such as myself who had just purchased the game and paid DLC hadn't redeemed the two free DLC packs in time before they were delisted. Also, as of today, Steam keys for the game are also still being sold on GameStop, so the Steam version of the game hasn't been completely removed from stores.

I contacted custservice@codemasters.com about this on 3 July. I don't feel the response I received to that email addressed my specific issue, as they appeared to be under the impression I was seeking to buy the game. I replied with a follow-up email further attempting to clarify the situation I find myself in as a customer, and I have received no response to that email or three subsequent emails I sent over the following ten days (I've checked my junk email folder as well). My last email to custservice@codemasters.com was sent Monday, 13 July at 9:56 AM BST; since my previous three emails went unanswered, I sent my last email from an alternate email address. Still no response.

The two DLC packs at issue are free DLC. They consist of a high resolution texture pack (to better support high resolution monitors) and a TF2-themed demolition derby pack. The high resolution texture pack, in particular, is something that would be beneficial, as I have a high resolution monitor. I acknowledge that the two free DLC packs have been delisted on Steam and that there is a company policy with regard to this, but I don't believe a "no exceptions under any circumstances whatsoever" policy is a good customer policy.

Please consider the particular circumstances. Given those circumstances (i.e. inopportune removal mid-sale without any notice after I had just purchased the game and paid DLC), I'm asking for Codemasters to make an exception. However, this doesn't necessarily require relisting the two free DLC packs. The Linux and Mac builds of the game include the files from the two free DLC packs, but the Windows build of the game currently does not include the free DLC files. Can the Windows build be updated with a last hurrah patch of sorts to include the free DLC files, and can the free DLC then be registered/activated for the three builds (so that the free DLC can be accessed in-game)? The free DLC files that would need to be added to the Windows build of the game can be seen at https://steamdb.info/depot/295100/ (626 PSSG texture files) + https://steamdb.info/depot/324130/ (1 NeFS archive).

If Codemasters is unwilling to create a patch which adds the free DLC, would Codemasters at least be open to temporarily relisting the two free DLC packs on Steam so that those of us who missed the free DLC can redeem it? The two free DLC packs could be delisted again after a specified time period (e.g. 8-24 hours), and this wouldn't require relisting the base game or the paid DLC, just the two free DLC packs, and that's only if the two free DLC won't be offered via a final patch. Or, if not provided via a patch or relisted on Steam, can the two free DLC packs somehow be automatically granted to current owners of the game?

I am not seeking a refund and I'm not asking for the paid content to be available on the store again (i.e. the base game and paid DLC can remain delisted), but I need a way to add the free DLC for a game I just purchased. Licensing-wise, I don't see the impediment to granting the free DLC to existing GRID Autosport customers. These free DLC are not available from any other sources (e.g. Mod DB or Nexus Mods).

If the Steam Community forum for the game is any indication, I'm not the only one who's been left in the lurch. As a matter of customer service, as a matter of good will, I ask that Codemasters please work with me on this. I feel that what I am asking is entirely reasonable. Surely there is a mutually agreeable solution that can be reached. I just bought the game 😞

PS I genuinely apologize if I have ruffled any feathers with my persistence in this matter, if that's the reason for the radio silence. People are people, and I hope all the people at Codemasters are happy and well. If you are currently working out the best way to accommodate my request, great(!) and thank you(!), please let me know, and I will refrain from communicating any further about this as I await a timely solution. But without an official response addressing this specific issue, I will continue trying to draw Codemasters' attention to this issue.

Edited by antiparticle
Added SteamDB links
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Dear Codemasters,

I am one of your big fans, and have full versions of all the games.

Autosports was one of your masterpieces, and one of my favorites.

Since this was pulled from Steam including the free DLC's, I feel very sad that I can't have the two free DLC's ever, because I never downloaded them before.
It makes my collection not complete anymore.

Would you please consider adding the license for the free DLC's for Steam?

Thanks

Edited by quarkstar
  • Sad 1

This is something I would like to see as well, as these two are the only things I am missing from this game.

I would also like to see this treatment with GRID 2's Destruction Derby DLC, however that may be impossible due to how long ago that was delisted

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

We have contacted both Feral Interactive and Steam Support as well, but both said only Codemasters can do anything about this.

So please Codemasters... for your loyal fans.

All we are asking are the free DLC's.

Edited by quarkstar

Posted (edited)

There are far weightier issues in the world, but these two free DLC packs would have been truly appreciated nonetheless. It's not that the DLC was delisted, it's how it was delisted that's caused issue. I appreciate that Codemasters' licensing agreements are of limited duration, but I really wish Codemasters had waited all of 9 days until after the Steam Summer Sale had concluded to delist GRID Autosport and its DLC, rather than delisting it mid-sale when some of us had just purchased the game (and paid DLC) but hadn't yet redeemed the free DLC. With the exception of the Winter Sale, the Summer Sale is probably the biggest Steam store sale of the year, and it is a time when more people than average buy games. Prior notice ahead of the removal would have been appreciated as well; Codemasters is in a better position than customers are to know when Codemasters' licensing agreements for a game are coming to an end. From an impact perspective, I don't understand why Codemasters put the game on sale during the beginning of the Steam Summer Sale (enticing more people than average to buy it) if Codemasters was going to remove it mid-sale before some of us had redeemed the free DLC. Why not delist the game and DLC before or after the Steam Summer Sale? Why not provide notice on the Steam store page of the impending delisting?

I purchased the game, season pass, and Black Edition Pack; I would hope some degree of licensed use has been conferred upon me, otherwise the game could be removed from my Steam library at any moment. If I am still eligible to keep and play the game with its licensed content (brands, etc) included, by the same token, why wouldn't I be eligible for the two free DLC? The High Res Texture Pack consists of high resolution versions of the car textures that already exist in the game that I own. As for the Team Fortress 2 themed Demoman Derby, I doubt Valve has any issue with that being distributed. There must be a way for someone to automatically grant the free DLC to owners of the game while at the same time keeping it delisted on the store. Otherwise, could the free DLC please be temporarily relisted on the store?

It seems a small favor to ask to allow me and others affected by the delisting to redeem the free DLC. If you look through first two pages of the Steam Community forum for GRID Autosport, you can see that others have posted about this as well, and that will be just a portion of the people impacted. This has been a disappointing experience, particularly because it seems like there should be a workable solution to this issue, but instead I am being met with inflexible policy and silence. All that I was initially told by Codemasters is that the game can no longer be sold or distributed. When I responded explaining that I had already purchased the game, and sought further clarification and consideration with regard to the two free DLC, I received no response to that email or three subsequent emails. I have not been able to get Codemasters to respond via email, this forum, Twitter, or Steam Community going on 27 days now. I've tried to remain civil while at the same time being direct, and I hope my tone and persistence hasn't irritated the people at Codemasters.

More so, I am disappointed Codemasters wouldn't even directly acknowledge my request, or even my existence after my first email, let alone remedy the situation. It's the deafening silence that probably kills it for me as a customer, but I do recognize the quality and passion Codemasters puts into its games, and I have enjoyed Codemasters' games over the years.

Communication is an undervalued asset.

Edited by antiparticle

Hey @antiparticle - Thanks for bringing this to our attention - sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.

Unfortunately, our licenses with manufacturers have expired for our release of GRID Autosport (separate to Feral's releases), which is why the game and subsequent DLC packs were removed from Steam. I've looked into whether it was possible just to release the DLC packs (as they are effectively useless without the full game) but sadly it can't be done.

Is it not possible for you to add the free DLC to the game as a sort of update for users who have the game, but had yet to claim the Free DLC before it was taken down?

8 minutes ago, Sapphyre said:

Is it not possible for you to add the free DLC to the game as a sort of update for users who have the game, but had yet to claim the Free DLC before it was taken down?

Unfortunately not - this is something I hoped to do! We aren't able to offer the content any longer due to the licensing expiration, that also applies to any DLC whether paid or free.

How upsetting... And it's not worth renewing the licenses just for something like that.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CMTGK said:

Hey @antiparticle - Thanks for bringing this to our attention - sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.

Unfortunately, our licenses with manufacturers have expired for our release of GRID Autosport (separate to Feral's releases), which is why the game and subsequent DLC packs were removed from Steam. I've looked into whether it was possible just to release the DLC packs (as they are effectively useless without the full game) but sadly it can't be done.

CMTGK, it's not the outcome that I had hoped for but thank you for looking into this and thank you for the reply, I really do appreciate it. My only other request would be in the future to please provide 7-14 days notice of a game's impending delisting on its Steam/Humble/etc store pages if at all possible, and don't delist games mid-sale if that can be planned around. I've already purchased GRID 2019 Ultimate Edition and the Alfa Romeo 155 TS and the Chevrolet Camaro SSX Concept DLC (and if Feral ports the game I will buy it again and gift it to someone to support Linux ports since Proton performance isn't that great right now), but I would hate for that game and its respective DLC to become the next delistings that catch customers off guard.

Thanks again for the reply.

Edited by antiparticle

I'm too affected by this.

I purchased Grid Autosport long ago when it first came out. I figured I'll have the license to download free DLC's whenever I need them - and unfortunately I never actually downloaded them for my Steam account.

It is very sad to be left with a copy of the game that will never be complete.

Posted (edited)

Most other games just add the DLC's automatically to your account. I feel a bit bitter and betrayed that I own the full game with all (paid) DLC's, but will never experience the free DLC's (which I hear are good). I know you looked into it... I do wish the result could be more positive. It could make the day for many like me.

You are basically saying "yeah we know you paid for the content, but we retract your ability to play it anymore".

Edited by quarkstar