Telemetry Software: PXG F1 Telemetry

Hi,

PXG F1 Telemetry is now compatible with F1 2020.

You can use it to :

• Compare your laps with the A.I. or other drivers to improve your driving
  • Refine your setups
  • Prepare your own practice programmes 
  • Analyse what happened during a race

It is available on PC and Mac and it can be used to get the telemetry data from any platform where F1 2020 runs (PC, PS4, XBOX).

You can download it here : https://bitbucket.org/Fiingon/pxg-f1-telemetry/downloads/

Any feedback is welcomed.

Laps.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I had this since the beginning of the year and i have find it to be very useful since it shows more data than what other telemetries i have used.
I had problems when i first used it when it would delete itself but besides from that, it did not stop me from re-downloading it.
An improvement i would suggest would be to see older files since the current version does not want to support it or that might just be my end.
Besides from all that i would definitely continue to use this.

Love the app.
I was wondering though, is there a way to get player names or a way to get a better view of the different drivers for multiplayer races (instead of for example Player (Alfa Romeo), sometimes is hard to see which player is which when you have a full grid (League races)

Tnx in advance!

Thanks for your feedback.

If you want to open older files, you should keep the older versions of the software. But in theory, next versions should be compatible with the current format.

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to get the player names in multiplayer races. This is a limitation of the game as explained in the UDP format topic on this forum. Hopefully Codemasters finds a way to fix it in the future.

Posted (edited)

This app is amazing. I'm using it on PS4. Love how it works with the AI.

It's literally perfect. I haven't found an option to print so I guess there isn't but it's not a problem since you can screenshot the graphs you want and then print them...

Edited by sirio994

Found this thread just yesterday and logged three Free Practice sessions in the app so far. Need to get more acquainted with it yet but from the description and what I got it to do so far seem the perfect fit for what I'm looking for. Thank you and congratulations on the work done!

I don't care about live data and dashboards. I just want to analyze my data to tweak my setup. And I'm a casual, so it will take a long time until I can make heads or tails of charts like Balance, Rear Locking and Longitudinal G-Force.

That said, can it plot tyre temperature and wear on a per tyre basis? It would make it easier to see how much a change in tyre pressures translated to those two factors. 

And on the table below, what does the (+/- 2°C) mean? Margin for error or the entire variability that specific tyre experimented during the lap? 

image.png.ba6283e452d3227047a2d6992634086b.png 

1 hour ago, marioho said:nce, Rear Locking and Longitudinal G-Force.

That said, can it plot tyre temperature and wear on a per tyre basis? It would make it easier to see how much a change in tyre pressures translated to those two factors. 

And on the table below, what does the (+/- 2°C) mean? Margin for error or the entire variability that specific tyre experimented during the lap? 

image.png.ba6283e452d3227047a2d6992634086b.png 

I do believe that there is an option to see tyre wear and temps on a graphs, as you were doing FP you would have to return back to the pits and in the console it should say ‘stint recorded’

with that you upload that file and at the bottom there is the option to see the average tyre wear across all tyres every lap. However to see tyre temps you have to view it lap by lap for each tyre separately.

the (+/- 2 C) I believe means that it is above and below the average temp of 99C by 2. So (97 - 101) .

• Thanks 1

I love that this telemetry program shows balance and suspension tilting in TT but why isn't it in GP mode or online races as well? It would be lovely to see so that I could actually change the setup according to the race fuel

14 hours ago, marioho said:

I don't care about live data and dashboards. I just want to analyze my data to tweak my setup. And I'm a casual, so it will take a long time until I can make heads or tails of charts like Balance, Rear Locking and Longitudinal G-Force.

You can plot the average tyre temperature per lap on a stint (i.e. a series of lap).

For the tyre degradation, the calculation on a single lap is not precise. It is better to view it on a stint (a set of consecutive laps) where is can be calculated with a higher precision.

The "99°C (+/- 2°C)" is the average temperature and its standard deviation. It means that during a lap, the temperature varies between 97 and 101°C.

3 hours ago, Mikulitsi said:

I love that this telemetry program shows balance and suspension tilting in TT but why isn't it in GP mode or online races as well? It would be lovely to see so that I could actually change the setup according to the race fuel

These parameters are only available for the player car but they should be available in all modes (although I never tested online races myself). Be sure to add you own laps before other drivers laps in the app, otherwise these parameters might not appear.

That being said, the "balance" and "suspension" data are quite difficult to read. From what I see, they depend too much on your driving to be useful to refine your setups. But I am interested to know how you use it.

Thank you! I will play around with the app soon and report my impressions if I think they could be of use. Looks like a gem this one.

12 minutes ago, Ender0042 said:

That being said, the "balance" and "suspension" data are quite difficult to read. From what I see, they depend too much on your driving to be useful to refine your setups. But I am interested to know how you use it.

This is as noob a question as it gets, but I tried searching for other telemetry softwares looking for resources that could help me read and understand those charts. I have a good notion of what a car balance is and how suspension affects it, but I don't know what to take from the data. I would gladly try to incorporate the insight they provide on my setups if I had some pointers though.

Thank you ! I haven't got a lot of feedback on this so I appreciate your help.

For balance, basically it compare the slip angle of the wheels with the steering angle. I can't find the exact article I used to implement it but the theory is explained here : https://www.vboxautomotive.co.uk/downloads/Oversteer-Understeer Analysis in Tyre Testing.pdf. A value < 0 means you are understeering.

For the suspensions, the problem is that the car ride-height is missing to be able to interpret the data. We don't have this information.

Haha coincidentally I had that was somehow one of the tabs I had opened to be read later from my search yesterday. Looks like I lucked out on my google fu.

On the other hand, I tried my first 50% race today – at Interlagos, closing my 16 round season – and looks like the app crashed mid race! I did not notice it until now. Is there a log or some way to check what happened? Windows Event Viewer maybe?

7 hours ago, marioho said:

On the other hand, I tried my first 50% race today – at Interlagos, closing my 16 round season – and looks like the app crashed mid race! I did not notice it until now. Is there a log or some way to check what happened? Windows Event Viewer maybe?

Unfortunately there is no log. I already saw this crash once, I have to investigate.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ender0042 said:

Unfortunately there is no log. I already saw this crash once, I have to investigate.

As I wrote before I'm loving this app. Probably you already know it but I just wanted to report that if you do a single race in gp mode it shows you Melbourne as track instead of the correct one.

I was wandering. Are you planning to extend the app to other sims?

5 hours ago, sirio994 said:

As I wrote before I'm loving this app. Probably you already know it but I just wanted to report that if you do a single race in gp mode it shows you Melbourne as track instead of the correct one.

I was wandering. Are you planning to extend the app to other sims?

Thanks for your feedback.

No, I don't plan to support other sims.

Posted (edited)

Hi Ender!
I'm a user of this app since 2019 version (if you remember, I reported (on reddit) an issue about time trial ghost data tracking for the 2019 version 😉 ) so i'm very happy about your apps.

Anyway, also with this version i've troubles with time trial ghost tracking : i cannot record any lap from rival/my personal best ghosts. I'm doing wrong something? I selected the "All drivers" option with no luck.

Thanks,
James

Edited by KingNio

21 minutes ago, KingNio said:

Hi Ender!
I'm a user of this app since 2019 version (if you remember, I reported (on reddit) an issue about time trial ghost data tracking for the 2019 version 😉 ) so i'm very happy about your apps.

Anyway, also with this version i've troubles with time trial ghost tracking : i cannot record any lap from rival/my personal best ghosts. I'm doing wrong something? I selected the "All drivers" option with no luck.

Thanks,
James

Hi James,

Yes I remember your request!

Unfortunately, there is no data for the time trial ghosts in F1 2020. It looks like a bug in the UDP data and it has been reported to Codemasters by other people in the UDP thread on this forum. Hopefully a patch will fix it in the future.

Cheers,

• Thanks 2

Hi Ender and anyone else reading this.

First off let me say a massive thank you, Ender, for such a high quality app. I have started using this recently on suggestion from Marioho and just wanted to give both my thanks and a little bit of feedback to you. Hopefully it helps other users see the value of your app as well. 

It's hard to be critical of something of this quality that costs me nothing at all, though I assume from the update history that you are always looking at improvements and probably struggle to get cohesive or constructive feedback. My intention here is not at all to diminish your amazing work.  You have probably already checked other apps and might be aware of most of this stuff or perhaps others have already mentioned this to you. Before your app I used Iko Rein's and I continue to run that, particularly for race timing and driving information. 

Features I like in your app:

- In terms of post race/stint analysis I feel your interface is comparatively cleaner, and more user friendly. It's easy to load a shedload of lap files, select/deselect as required and change the reference lap on the fly.

- Your app seems to cope much better with flashbacks. (very useful in Monaco ;-))

- The naming convention of the files makes it easy to go back and look at previous race histories etc.

-The summary screen below the map preview for lap/stint/race data is extremely useful. Especially the setup, tyre wear, pit stop length.  

-The 'record race data for all drivers' feature is great and provides an excellent way to keep a record of a race and previous strategies.

-The map, in comparison with Iko's, is referenced with turn numbers and other features - when making notes and comparing with the graph this is very useful. It would be nice to be able to zoom in a bit more, though no biggy.

Features in IKO Rein's app I like which may add value to PXG

- a lap comparison screen which allows the user to display the line taken on two separate maps for two separate laps and each can be over-layed with various data sets such as brake pressure, gear or throttle data. It really makes interpretation of the data at a glance way more accessible since one can see exactly on the map where you break or locked up or whatever. Some people do have a 'fear' of graphs and this visual display is user friendly.

- The ability to click on any point on the graph and then have that reference point shown on the map. 

-  Automatically keeps a record of the user's personal best lap for a specific session at any track and updates it if the PB is broken at a later time.

Hope you find this useful. 

Hi QmanXV and thanks for your huge feedback. It is really helpful.

About displaying data on a map : I may implement something similar in the futur, but not soon. It requires a lot of work and I don't really know how to integrate this feature nicely in the current interface.

I am also interested for feedback on the telemetry data itself : what is useful, what is not, what could be added, how you use it, ... My goal is to do something a bit more advanced than collecting and displaying raw data.

And since it is an open-source software, anyone who want to help is welcome. Not necessarily for the coding (I can handle that myself) but more for testing, ideas and data research. Contact me in private if you are interested.

I tried this on my laptop and it said my WinZip Trial had expired ??  Even though I've never used WinZip 

Posted (edited)

Hi @Ender0042,

Edit: sorry I meant as in if it’s possible to port personally - I wasn’t planning on stealing your app!

this looks so incredible! I’m so excited to start using. 

I’d like to get this as an iOS app if at all possible, and was wondering if you think this would be compatible as an iOS app?

looking at the Qt documentation, it seems like a port to iOS is something they do. Do you know if there would be any issue with trying to port this?

the documentation talks about possible ‘specific hardware or software’ not being available that would cause an issue.

Documentation here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/porting-to-ios.html

Edited by Worthingtonio

4 hours ago, Worthingtonio said:

Hi @Ender0042,

Edit: sorry I meant as in if it’s possible to port personally - I wasn’t planning on stealing your app!

this looks so incredible! I’m so excited to start using. 

I’d like to get this as an iOS app if at all possible, and was wondering if you think this would be compatible as an iOS app?

looking at the Qt documentation, it seems like a port to iOS is something they do. Do you know if there would be any issue with trying to port this?

the documentation talks about possible ‘specific hardware or software’ not being available that would cause an issue.

Documentation here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/porting-to-ios.html

It might be possible but I imagine that the interface needs some adaptations. I don't think there are specific hardware or software problems.

Anyway, this is an open source software, so you can try to port it yourself and make all the changes you want as long as you keep the licence.

Hey, @Ender0042! I've been using the app for a while and I think I've got some feedback already. "For a while" meaning:

image.thumb.png.69de14c0240aa31aae62290cefda3b7e.png

The Race folders unfortunately are barren of files. The app has crashed in every race so far. I wasn't paying attention before but today it crashed in the first 4 laps.

On the Lap Analysis tab, the wheels presentation varies between the Tyre wear and the Tyre temperature fields: FL/FR/RL/RR on the first and FR/FL/RR/RL on the latter – in tandem with the game, I think? Maybe it is by design, I personally find more intuitive going left-right, but it leaves me second guessing if I'm comparing the data correctly as it is different on the Stint Analysis tab, being all FR/FL there on the Tyre Wear and Max Tyre Temp fields.

image.png.57fefaaab0888b1ff2c366e12d586af0.png

So far I've been using the app mostly to settle on tyre pressure settings for any given track, even more so as I've not been able to analyse my race data yet. So my routine basically consists of getting into FP1, loading my track custom setup, and taking the car out for the Track Aclm. programme. I always drive out, never do flying laps when I want to analyse my tyre wear data. After completing the programme, which usually takes one go, I go manually back to the garage and the app will record both the laps and a 1-lap stint. I could check the wear data on the lap analysis tab but I find the one in the stint tab more useful as it has more decimal places. If the Lap Analysys tab could follow this format I'd appreciate!

Done that, I take a cursory look at the wear data just to see if there ain't any high imbalance between the tyres. It is not ideal as a single lap is too poor of a sample data, but I keep this in mind when making adjustments. 

This is pretty much rinse and repeat, all with my first Medium set of tyres, until I finish the FP1 with the ERS Management programme. In this I use Softs and usually try to go for the fastest lap in the session for that munchy sponsor bonus.

On FP2 I do the Race Strategy programme on my my second set of Mediums and the Qualy Pace programme on a set of Softs. This is usually the most important session as even though I use the same set of tyres for most of FP1, driving manually all my out and in laps, and taking care to not have any weird behavior on track deviating me from my racing line of choice, (1) I don't have any means to compile all the tyre wear data from the single lap files, thus (2) the Race Strategy programme gives me the most meaty and meaningful stint to base any tyre setting adjustments on.

I usually take screenshots of all that data and just slap it on Paint.net for a overall look. Like this:

image.png.291184fa867ae1f10ca2b03897ec334f.png

In this one I slapped data from the race itself I got from another app as my FL tyre suffered a bit.

Another example:

image.thumb.png.9f15de7c27618bdcf74115b65edceab5.png

I try to take both the tyre and setup data in a single capture just to know what I'm looking at. Please disregard all the markings as I swear they stop making sense even for me after I take my eyes out of the monitor.

That's basically it. As most of my time in Practice sessions has been devoted to tyre wear analysis I haven't been using much of the other functionalities. I bet I could still use it to fine tune other aspects of setups, but I'm still in the Notepad age for this: haphazardly scribbling how I feel the car is misbehaving and thinking of all the possible adjustments I can make before selecting a few to try:

+OST CEX = -R.ARB -ON.DIFF -R.SPRG
++UST CEN = +FT.PRES +FT.TOE -OFF.DIFF -F.SPRG +FW -RW
OST TA = -R.ARB -ON.DIFF