F1 2020 |ONLINE SERVICE BACK ONLINE | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Please fix the engine sound and audio of F1 2020

Now that the vanilla F1 2020 game is out, and we finally got the product to test and play, here's my opinion on the engine sound and audio mix:

-Renault engine sounds the most accurate. But the downshifts are too harsh/ aggressive, whereas the real life TV onboard footage makes it sound much more smooth and soft. Either way, the pitch is perfect, the growling is spot on and the Turbo Whistle Whine is almost a 1:1 representation. Great work with that one!

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

-Ferrari engine sounds nearly perfect, but it needs a bit more of the Turbo Whistle Whine in lower revs, especially linked to each downshift. Also, it seems as if the 8th gear has a way too long gear ratio in the game, making the top end sound of 8th gear (running 300+kmh) too low pitched compared to real life TV footages.

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

-Honda engine sounds a bit too low pitched and it's missing the distinct Turbo Whistle Whine when the revs are gradually shifting towards the 12k mark (the real life version of the Honda Turbo Whisle Whine sounds almost similar to a LMP car or even a Formula E car, or maybe even a Pod-Racer from Star Wars). Also, the growling at lower revs could be made a bit more aggressive.

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

-Mercedes engine sound is the worst in the game, imo. It is still missing its unique Turbo Whistle Whine. Also, there is somehow a very unrealistic, as well as over exaggerated, "whoosh" sound effect when downshifting at high rpms, that either needs to be cut away completely or toned down significantly. Additionally, similar to the Ferrari engine, the gear ratio of 8th gear seems to be way too long and makes the top end sound way too low pitched as a result.

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

The audio mix is quite nice, and the environmental reverberation with running next to walls etc. is a cool touch to the overall experience. But, the "opponents cars" are a bit too loud compared to my own car. Same issue can be found with "opponents" running over rumble strips / Kerbs, which is also a bit too loud compared to my own car. 

Hope these issues will be fixed during the active lifetime of F1 2020!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

Now that the vanilla F1 2020 game is out, and we finally got the product to test and play, here's my opinion on the engine sound and audio mix:

-Renault engine sounds the most accurate. But the downshifts are too harsh/ aggressive, whereas the real life TV onboard footage makes it sound much more smooth and soft. Either way, the pitch is perfect, the growling is spot on and the Turbo Whistle Whine is almost a 1:1 representation. Great work with that one!

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

-Ferrari engine sounds nearly perfect, but it needs a bit more of the Turbo Whistle Whine in lower revs, especially linked to each downshift. Also, it seems as if the 8th gear has a way too long gear ratio in the game, making the top end sound of 8th gear (running 300+kmh) too low pitched compared to real life TV footages.

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

-Honda engine sounds a bit too low pitched and it's missing the distinct Turbo Whistle Whine when the revs are gradually shifting towards the 12k mark (the real life version of the Honda Turbo Whisle Whine sounds almost similar to a LMP car or even a Formula E car, or maybe even a Pod-Racer from Star Wars). Also, the growling at lower revs could be made a bit more aggressive.

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

-Mercedes engine sound is the worst in the game, imo. It is still missing its unique Turbo Whistle Whine. Also, there is somehow a very unrealistic, as well as over exaggerated, "whoosh" sound effect when downshifting at high rpms, that either needs to be cut away completely or toned down significantly. Additionally, similar to the Ferrari engine, the gear ratio of 8th gear seems to be way too long and makes the top end sound way too low pitched as a result.

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

The audio mix is quite nice, and the environmental reverberation with running next to walls etc. is a cool touch to the overall experience. But, the "opponents cars" are a bit too loud compared to my own car. Same issue can be found with "opponents" running over rumble strips / Kerbs, which is also a bit too loud compared to my own car. 

Hope these issues will be fixed during the active lifetime of F1 2020!

Maybe you can put your post here:

Ferrari's 8th gear sounds awful. Pls fix!

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2020 at 7:05 PM, GioProductions said:

Maybe this video can help also:

Really cool video, thanks for sharing!

PS: Imo, i would add that the helicopter sound effect in the game, as well as the crowd is too loud.

Hopefully, sometime in the future, Codemasters will eventually give us proper audio sliders for different sound effects (own engine sound, opponent engine sound, music, replay music, own car effects, environment effects, crowd, wind & rain etc.).

In the past Codemasters already had a rudimentary version of such audio sliders in the game, but ultimately chose to get rid off it for whatever reason.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Like 1