F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

Crackling audio f1 2020

Does anyone else get crackling audio of engine sounds when cars are around you? Especially in online races. I'm using astro a50 gen 4 headset on the xbox and works flawlessly with other games. 

Also why cant I hear Jeff unless I switch from headset (which is my main output device) to speakers? And even then Jeff is really quiet. 

• Like 2

Yes, I have the exact same problem.

To me it seems to only happen when using headphones. All I use is basic wired headphones from Samsung galaxy, but have tried a couple of others and all are the same.  Tv audio seems fine, I think. 

I literally just came offline from F1 2020 cause I cant hear well enough to play, just constant intermittent crackles pops and distortion. 

I vowed not to buy any of this brands F1 games again as every year its problems, and i stupidly bought this and unbelievable its the most riddled one iv had, to the point I just cant play. 

Do Codemasters pay attention on here? Serious question, Iv never used this forum. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2020 at 1:03 AM, GonzoGB87 said:

Do Codemasters pay attention on here? Serious question, Iv never used this forum. 

Yes.  In all the forums that I've been a member of, this one has the best and most active Community Manager.

Yes, @BarryBL I'm talking about you.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:03 AM, GonzoGB87 said:

All I use is basic wired headphones from Samsung galaxy, but have tried a couple of others and all are the same.  Tv audio seems fine, I think. 

For this, your computer audio settings may be too high for the headphones.  If the signal is too strong, they will crackle and pop.  Try reducing the master volume for the headphones and see if that helps.

Edit: Just realized you may not be on PC.  In that case, the headphones themselves may be the issue, or the jack where you plug them in.  Dirty connections will also make sound crackle.

Edited by DrDraken
Added info
  • Like 1

I have crackiling too, but it’s usually only when Jeff tries telling me something while I’m using a headset. He doesn’t come through at all. So when it’s his cue to say “box this lap” or something, all I get is crackling audio. You guys can try to see if that’s part of the issue too. If you issue a command the response is just a crackle for me. 

On 7/22/2020 at 4:13 PM, Suadatoyota0000 said:

Also crowd way to noisy

I just finished the race in the Netherlands, and the crowd gets ridiculously loud when you hit the pit straight.  Sure, it may swell to a dull roar that the driver might be able to hear slightly, but we're in a cockpit, in a balaclava, with earplugs in, inside a helmet, with an engine a foot behind us.  :classic_huh::classic_tongue:

Please Codies, just give us a way to adjust all the sounds in the game.

• Haha 1

Same issue here. The crackling only occurs during racing though and only when there are multiple cars around. When driving alone there is no issue.

Jeff I can hear fine. 

Playing on Xbox using a Stealth 700 (connected wirelessly).

• Agree 1

Also have the same issue. I’ve tried through wired headphones connected to the tv, wireless headset via the Xbox, and using tv speakers. Makes no difference. The crackling and pops are only really there when other cars are around you. And its worse the more that are around you. The crowd noise makes it even worse still. 

**Solution** I've had the same issue on Xbox, yet when I play other games there is no crackling.

Go into audio settings and turn dynamic range to limited. Basically there is too much information going to headphones so they crackle and pop. Turning it to limited range equalizes the different frequencies a little. When I have it on there is no more crackling.

On 7/21/2020 at 5:03 AM, GonzoGB87 said:

@GonzoGB87 Yes we do pay attention 🙂

I will investigate the issue and see if I can reproduce it.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Thund3r4 said:

Taken long enough. Games been out months in a broken state. 

Is that really necessary to say? We just got a direct response from a dev, why be ungrateful for that? Most other game developers are either radio silent about what they’re gonna fix or they just don’t fix what the people are asking them to. This man is a blessing. 

Yes it is necessary. If you bought a film with audio that had problems you wouldn't be happy would you. 

People buy the game expecting a finished product. 

7 minutes ago, Thund3r4 said:

Yes it is necessary. If you bought a film with audio that had problems you wouldn't be happy would you. 

Do they, really? I mean,....really?

I'm honestly with you on that but I see the "shove it to market, it's time for the cash injection, worry about the next iteration after that" all the time now. A sad indictment of our times.

Interestingly, another user has posted about audio crackling with the Astro A40s just today. May be another "premium" brand rushed to market in a beta state. Timing is everything.

Seems like commonality on the Astros so far.

9 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Do they, really? I mean,....really?

I'm honestly with you on that but I see the "shove it to market, it's time for the cash injection, worry about the next iteration after that" all the time now. A sad indictment of our times.

Interestingly, another user has posted about audio crackling with the Astro A40s just today. May be another "premium" brand rushed to market in a beta state. Timing is everything.

Seems like commonality on the Astros so far.

It may seem like that, however in my experience I've owned the Astros for a substantial amount of time and f1 2020 is the only game that has issues with them. 

I can Actually re produce the crackling through my TV, which in turn takes the headset out of the equation. It is 100% the game. 

Along with Jeff not speaking when in an xbox live party and your preferred sound is directed through the headset. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thund3r4 said:

You realize these people are on a schedule right? It’s not exactly a walk in the park to program a video game perfectly, especially considering the people doing it are still human beings who are capable of error. If youre gonna get mad at anyone, get mad at the brass who are demanding new games be released on a tight schedule. The devs are slaving over their code so people can enjoy the product. Have some sympathy man. And like I said, other devs just choose to outright ignore their forums and feedback, so be grateful. Also, a movie??? Seriously, that’s the comparison?? All you have to do in a movie is plan, film, edit. Video games are not comparable to movies. Have you ever coded anything? If there’s a bug present and you fix it, you’re liable to break the rest of the code, so it takes a bit of skill. Movies aren’t interactive pieces of evolving circumstances that allow people in other parts of the world to not only interact with each other, but also compete with one another so you’re reeeeaaaaaallllllly comparing apples to oranges on that one my friend. 

Edited by Angelosophy
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Angelosophy said:

You realize these people are on a schedule right? It’s not exactly a walk in the park to program a video game perfectly, especially considering the people doing it are still human beings who are capable of error. If youre gonna get mad at anyone, get mad at the brass who are demanding new games be released on a tight schedule. The devs are slaving over their code so people can enjoy the product. Have some sympathy man. And like I said, other devs just choose to outright ignore their forums and feedback, so be grateful. Also, a movie??? Seriously, that’s the comparison?? All you have to do in a movie is plan, film, edit. Video games are not comparable to movies. Have you ever coded anything? If there’s a bug present and you fix it, you’re liable to break the rest of the code, so it takes a bit of skill. Movies aren’t interactive pieces of evolving circumstances that allow people in other parts of the world to not only interact with each other, but also compete with one another so you’re reeeeaaaaaallllllly comparing apples to oranges on that one my friend. 

Woah did I **** in someones corn flakes. 

Dude, its basically copy and paste from last years game. Last years audio wasnt messed up. 

4 minutes ago, Thund3r4 said:

Dude, its basically copy and paste from last years game. Last years audio wasnt messed up. 

Are you the type of person who goes to restaurant and complains if your steak isn’t cooked to the exact temperature, consistency, and juiciness that you like it to be? Cuz that recipe is just copy and paste from the last steak they cooked for you that you liked. Also, I dont know if you’ve noticed, but there’s 100 new things about this game that didn’t exist in the last one. 

7 minutes ago, Thund3r4 said:

Go ahead and program a video game for everyone to enjoy. It’s so simple that anyone can do it if it’s just copy and paste right? So go ahead and take the code for F1 2019 and create the perfect 2020 that YOU so desperately NEED. Why complain about something so insignificant? 

5 hours ago, Thund3r4 said:

Taken long enough. Games been out months in a broken state. 

Months?? It’s been a month and a half dude. You make it seem like youve been waiting for an update since the winter. Get over yourself and stop complaining man. They put out a great game. 

Ok so Grid 2019 has this really bad audio. I’m on PC: Alienware 15 R2, 1 tb Samsung 860 SSD, 2 tb fantom external HD, G29 Logitech wheel, 16 gb memory, Boze headphones, Altec Lansing 5.1 surround PC audio with Realtek on board.  I don’t have any audio issues with RaceRoom, Dirt Rally 2.0, rFactor, WRC 7, Grid Autosport, Assetto Corsa Competizone. Etc.  I do have a audio issue with Grid 2019... sounds like “clipping” or “over keyed” 

I believe CodeMasters can and should patch this issue. I’m not the only user experiencing the problem. I really don’t understand why they keep telling the end user, who has no issues with other games, to try this or that to fix it. 

I’m sorry if I’m being harsh, but this is a customer service issue involving their product. Honestly, I’m ****** about it.

thank you and have a great day

As mentioned, we are looking into this but I'll be honest, I've never reproduced this so far and I'm working on headphones quite often at the moment.
I'd suggest anybody who can 100% reproduce this issue should send me some more details, in particular the headset you are using it, your audio settings, platform you are playing on and what game mode you are in.

@Thund3r4 You are welcome to your opinion, but I assure you the audio team are not sitting here doing a "copy & paste" year on year. We are constantly working on the game and are immensely passionate about our job and the game. My team and I want to be proud of the products we put out and I think we generally do a good job. We haven't heard the "crackling audio" bug ourselves and don't have a firm MOR in order to even begin fixing it, we will continue to investigate however and if we do find it we'll look into a fix. If you're willing to be courteous and polite I'll talk to you further to discuss any audio issues, including this one to see if we can nail it down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm sure anybody using these headsets is already using the correct settings but it's also worth sanity checking to see if this solves any problems you might be having.

My apologies to CodeMasters if I came off unpleasant. I am a huge fan of Codemasters work, I understand that a lot of time and effort is involved with creating these games.  I guess I’m frustrated because I have tried everything these forums have suggested to no avail.  
It’s not so much a cracking and popping, more like cramming too much through too small, like the audio is all mushed together. No matter what play back speakers I use. But only on Grid 2019.  

I’ll look into this, wondering if it can be used to run my audio speaker set up through