F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

Logitech G29 vs. Thrustmaster T300RS GT wheel

Posted (edited)

For wheels looking at the Logitech G29 vs. Thrustmaster T300RS GT wheel with F1 mods.  MVH studios makes an f1 mod and thrustmasters has their f1 wheel.  My only gripe with the Thrustmaster is it looks very plastic compared to the logitech.   Any feedback?  using ps4 pro

Edited by missile8310

I haven't tried the T300 but I have years of experience on the G29. It's an alright wheel, although much better suited to, say, Dirt Rally than the F1 games. Worst part is the brake pedal, which I find atrocious in these games. The FFB is pretty weird in the F1 games as well. No force feedback at low speed or very high speed (on a straight, for example). It's made worse by the fact that when exiting low speed corners with no wheel weight, it can then suddenly start shaking and vibrating like crazy, making the exits even more difficult. If you're just looking to drive F1, I wouldn't suggest a G29.

• Agree 1

I've used the T300 with F1 rim and T3pa pro pedals for a few years now and I can't fault it. 

I love the rotary dials on rim as they let you adjust the fuel and pit strategy with ease plus it looks the part.

The force feedback works excellently. 

• Agree 1

My experience with G29 is very bad. After few months paddle shifts stopped working properly. It registered 2 presses or no presses at all. Mostly the latter and it got worse and worse. I got it fixed since it was still under warranty but 2 weeks later same thing happened. Then I just gave up on it.

So I have the G920 essentially a g29 I use it on Pc and I got it for 140 quid from argos when it was on sale and cannot complain really. Theres a bit of a central deadzone nothing that effects things.

The wheel is capable of good ffb when I first got it I was like wow this is great I can only imaigine other higher wheels get more details but you get the info you need.

F1 isnt the best for ffb though iracing and assetto corsa feel loads better so the wheels capable.

I did test a T150 at the same time as the g920 i bought both sent the t150 back as the pedals were garbage and the logitech pedals are great. For f1 I do map the clutch as a break though as its way too stick for f1

The t150 had decent ffb aswell similar if not slightly behind the G920 so I would have thought the T300 would be a tad better.

• Like 2

I use a T300 RS and pedals, but not the GT version or the F1 wheel. I've not used another wheel to compare to and I'm far from a hardcore sim-racer but it seems decent to me. 

Having owned both G27/G920 and T300 I've posted various takes on these wheels.

For price the Logitech is strong and should work flawlessly for many years, the pedals are robust and can be simply modded. The wheel cannot be changed but mods are available. It's ergonomically well thought out. The force feedback is quite strong but is limited due to the helical gears, some may not like the centre 'float' before the gear kicks in.

The Thrustmaster is more expensive. There are question marks over the longevity of the T300 but if you run it with reduced FFB settings and have the fan 'always on' it can be reliable. I owned both for about 2 years and both were still like new by the time I upgraded. The belt drive / gears of the Thrustmaster is better for fidelity and the wheel rims can be exchanged for different ones. For F1, the F1 Rim is the best. It's solidly built, but the weakest point is perhaps the (internal) shifter switches. I did have to replace one and I did it with the uprated Omron switch (10x the presses MTBF). For me, the pedals are the weak point having owned the stock T3PA and seen the T2PA in action. I actually used the Logitech pedals (modded with GTEye) from a G25. This does require a passive adapter (or a more expensive USB one like the Leo Bodnar).

Both had minor build quality issues (loose screws and the like, important not to overtighten).

Both will suffer shifter paddle failures if abused, unfortunately they are ultimately toys compared to Fanatec equipment I have now. However, Fanatec are a bit more involved with firmwares and drivers depending on which combo you settle upon. They are also much more expensive, but relatively you get what you pay for.

Can't comment on the higher end Thrustmaster T-GT, TS-XW and TS-PC. There is no high end with Logitech, that is it. Fanatec want a organ donation for their high end stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've had a T300RS GT (T3PA pedals) for a couple of weeks now and the F1 wheel for about a week and I'm very pleased with everything. After getting used to the original wheel it has taken a bit of relearning to use the F1 wheel but I'll get there eventually. The only issue I have, and I don't know if it's the wheel, the game or something with my computer, is that I can't shift gears on the non semi-automatic cars in the game. That's the McLaren MP4 variants and the Jordan 191. Besides this everything works like a charm. The internal cooling fan in the base can be a bit noisy but it's not something I notice when I'm racing.

2 hours ago, missile8310 said:

For wheels looking at the Logitech G29 vs. Thrustmaster T300RS GT wheel with F1 mods.  MVH studios makes an f1 mod and thrustmasters has their f1 wheel.  My only gripe with the Thrustmaster is it looks very plastic compared to the logitech.   Any feedback?  using ps4 pro

Yes the F1 Rim looks plastic but you don't look at it when racing 🙂

Check out the Acelith mods for the T300 RS and GT wheels (and G29 for Logitech owners reading).

T3PA Pro for a premium pedal set seem to still need mods. They can be inverted. The T-LCM are already being modded.... 

Load cells are the best for brakes, it's the one area I'm not settled. I have some Clubsport v1 and I would hugely prefer a left foot brake (have modded the other pedals I've owned). Can't decide whether to stick with the CSPv1 or go for the CSL Elite with LC. I just feel that Fanatec are recycling the CSP design over as most of the v3 (can be bought with inversion kit) owners want the performance kit or change to Heusinkveld Sprints.

But then, organ donation time again.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lakrits said:

I've had a T300RS GT (T3PA pedals) for a couple of weeks now and the F1 wheel for about a week and I'm very pleased with everything. After getting used to the original wheel it has taken a bit of relearning to use the F1 wheel but I'll get there eventually. The only issue I have, and I don't know if it's the wheel, the game or something with my computer, is that I can't shift gears on the non semi-automatic cars in the game. That's the McLaren MP4 variants and the Jordan 191. Besides this everything works like a charm. The internal cooling fan in the base can be a bit noisy but it's not something I notice when I'm racing.

I ended up replacing the fan with a lower power draw, better CFM rated one. The Noctua replacement is highly peer recommended.

Check the shifter issue isn't just a connected controller. My CSPs go mad if there is an X360 controller plugged in. Think this may well be a Codies issue.

4 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Yes the F1 Rim looks plastic but you don't look at it when racing 🙂

Check out the Acelith mods for the T300 RS and GT wheels (and G29 for Logitech owners reading).

T3PA Pro for a premium pedal set seem to still need mods. They can be inverted. The T-LCM are already being modded.... 

Load cells are the best for brakes, it's the one area I'm not settled. I have some Clubsport v1 and I would hugely prefer a left foot brake (have modded the other pedals I've owned). Can't decide whether to stick with the CSPv1 or go for the CSL Elite with LC. I just feel that Fanatec are recycling the CSP design over as most of the v3 (can be bought with inversion kit) owners want the performance kit or change to Heusinkveld Sprints.

But then, organ donation time again.

Holy smokes, I didn't know such mods existed for Logitech wheels. Sadly they all seem to be out of stock. Any ideas if they are available elsewhere?

1 minute ago, steviejay69 said:

I ended up replacing the fan with a lower power draw, better CFM rated one. The Noctua replacement is highly peer recommended.

Check the shifter issue isn't just a connected controller. My CSPs go mad if there is an X360 controller plugged in. Think this may well be a Codies issue.

I have nothing connected besides keyboard and mouse through USB. I doubt any of those are the issue but I guess nothing is impossible.

1 minute ago, Lakrits said:

I have nothing connected besides keyboard and mouse through USB. I doubt any of those are the issue but I guess nothing is impossible.

There was a time my windows didn't boot up if my mouse was connected..

1 minute ago, janbonator said:

Holy smokes, I didn't know such mods existed for Logitech wheels. Sadly they all seem to be out of stock. Any ideas if they are available elsewhere?

They are unique. I owned the Acelith aluminium mod for the RS wheel - honestly it's great compared to the RS wheel, so light the FFB although turned down as mentioned is MUCH better.

Ultimately I still preferred the F1 Rim and I tried the Open Wheel but it lacks buttons for me. Your mileage may vary.

As for Acelith they won't open pre-orders until they do a run, just register and they will keep you in the loop. Covid came just at the wrong time for them. They are much better than any other mod for those standard rims that I've seen but I understand they will be trying to return to normal service very soon.

• Like 1

Well, it works in every other game/sim I use the wheel on, even for stickshifted cars, so I honestly think this is a game issue. Had the same problem with F1 2019. Tried different USB ports for both mouse, keyboard and wheel but always the same.

1 minute ago, steviejay69 said:

They are unique. I owned the Acelith aluminium mod for the RS wheel - honestly it's great compared to the RS wheel, so light the FFB although turned down as mentioned is MUCH better.

Ultimately I still preferred the F1 Rim and I tried the Open Wheel but it lacks buttons for me. Your mileage may vary.

As for Acelith they won't open pre-orders until they do a run, just register and they will keep you in the loop. Covid came just at the wrong time for them. They are much better than any other mod for those standard rims that I've seen but I understand they will be trying to return to normal service very soon.

Thanks, really appreciate the info. Had already decided to save up for a new wheel, but these wheel and pedal mods do seem like a (relatively) cheap and lucrative option.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, steviejay69 said:

Having owned both G27/G920 and T300 I've posted various takes on these wheels.

For price the Logitech is strong and should work flawlessly for many years, the pedals are robust and can be simply modded. The wheel cannot be changed but mods are available. It's ergonomically well thought out. The force feedback is quite strong but is limited due to the helical gears, some may not like the centre 'float' before the gear kicks in.

The Thrustmaster is more expensive. There are question marks over the longevity of the T300 but if you run it with reduced FFB settings and have the fan 'always on' it can be reliable. I owned both for about 2 years and both were still like new by the time I upgraded. The belt drive / gears of the Thrustmaster is better for fidelity and the wheel rims can be exchanged for different ones. For F1, the F1 Rim is the best. It's solidly built, but the weakest point is perhaps the (internal) shifter switches. I did have to replace one and I did it with the uprated Omron switch (10x the presses MTBF). For me, the pedals are the weak point having owned the stock T3PA and seen the T2PA in action. I actually used the Logitech pedals (modded with GTEye) from a G25. This does require a passive adapter (or a more expensive USB one like the Leo Bodnar).

Both had minor build quality issues (loose screws and the like, important not to overtighten).

Both will suffer shifter paddle failures if abused, unfortunately they are ultimately toys compared to Fanatec equipment I have now. However, Fanatec are a bit more involved with firmwares and drivers depending on which combo you settle upon. They are also much more expensive, but relatively you get what you pay for.

Can't comment on the higher end Thrustmaster T-GT, TS-XW and TS-PC. There is no high end with Logitech, that is it. Fanatec want a organ donation for their high end stuff.

would it be better to get the thrustmaster gt-x base, thrustmaster f1 wheel and the logitech g29 pedals?  also for a cockpit going to be using a playseat challenge or a next level gt-lite based on the space i have

Edited by missile8310

2 hours ago, janbonator said:

There was a time my windows didn't boot up if my mouse was connected.. 

Same.  Logitech wireless.  On a previous version of Windows, if I left the receiver in the USB port, the computer would crash on startup.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, missile8310 said:

would it be better to get the thrustmaster gt-x base, thrustmaster f1 wheel and the logitech g29 pedals?  also for a cockpit going to be using a playseat challenge or a next level gt-lite based on the space i have

I bought a set of the Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals recently if you are going to buy a separate base and pedals I’d go with the TLcm.... they are great. I use them with a 300 rim and F1 wheel in a Next level F1-GT. I’m pretty happy with it. 

Edited by Vstorm07

Posted (edited)

I had the T300 GT edition and really did love it! Together with the F1 rim.

I had a year of joy but later on decided to upgrade to T-GT, but still using the F1 rim, but now with display on it. Love that and will stick with Thrustmaster  

20191116_190633.thumb.jpg.80eeb9f14165883c183b241e720dc7b4.jpg

Edited by GioProductions
Text

Any here that use the g29 or g920 struggle to get the wheel in line with the halo (assuming this is a middle point) no matter how much calibration I do I have to put my wheel at a slight angle to get the centre wheel marking to match the halo on screens

Its annoyed me since 2018s game its almost as if my wheel got built cockide.

2 hours ago, GioProductions said:

I had a year of joy but later on decided to upgrade to T-GT, but still using the F1 rim, but now with display on it. Love that and will stick with Thrustmaster  

I'd be interested to know how you made that mod to it, I'd love to have something similar on my F1 wheel.

3 hours ago, GioProductions said:

Is that an iphone or android?  what telemetry program?  

2 hours ago, AdamFreeman said:

Any here that use the g29 or g920 struggle to get the wheel in line with the halo (assuming this is a middle point) no matter how much calibration I do I have to put my wheel at a slight angle to get the centre wheel marking to match the halo on screens

Its annoyed me since 2018s game its almost as if my wheel got built cockide.

360 degree rotation is 1:1 for on-screen wheel.

The centre calibration if it's off suggests the wheel is not calibrated not the game settings if it's off in all your games. Do you have a controller connected (pad)? Remove it!

Try removing and reinstalling the driver software (GHub or LGS whatever is working for you but be aware LGS is now unsupported by Logitech).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

360 degree rotation is 1:1 for on-screen wheel.

The centre calibration if it's off suggests the wheel is not calibrated not the game settings if it's off in all your games. Do you have a controller connected (pad)? Remove it!

Try removing and reinstalling the driver software (GHub or LGS whatever is working for you but be aware LGS is now unsupported by Logitech).

Its hard to explain what I mean lol I can calibrate it and get it as close as I guess is possible but it feels as though the car is not straight or as if my monitors titled too far one way so I am not facing the car dead on I dont know what it is its obviously not the game but then on other games wity in house calibrations its fine.

It just bugs me when I am going down a straight and my wheels seems straight but is at an angle compared with the halo. Weird one only with the f1 games lok