F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

AI Difficulty

Hi all, just wondered what tracks are the AI’s strongest and weakest this year. I’ve noticed that they are strong at Canada so far and weak at China and Austria. Share your thoughts below it would help me out when adjusting the AI for my career.

Also my team difficulty seems off when compared to GP mode. 100 in my team feels like 90 or so in GP

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, GBPolesitter said:

Hi all, just wondered what tracks are the AI’s strongest and weakest this year. I’ve noticed that they are strong at Canada so far and weak at China and Austria. Share your thoughts below it would help me out when adjusting the AI for my career.

Also my team difficulty seems off when compared to GP mode. 100 in my team feels like 90 or so in GP

I think the most common are weak at Austria. Strong at Silverstone (probably their strongest) and Spain. Bahrain too they're very good. Less good at China, France and Brazil.

Canada I think it depends on track limits. Even Brazil and Spain in a certain sense. Canada with strict is not that easy. With regular you can take the final chicane aggressively.

Hanoi they're good too. But I think it has a lot to do with the lack of grip and bad feeling that the user gets and their unreal traction. So for sure at Hanoi they are poorly balanced.

Steet circuits are pretty much balanced but compared to other tracks they depend on your damage, length and flashback settings (and if you restart or not in case of a crash).

Edited by sirio994
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I can confirm I had a hard time in Bahrain and really hard time in Hanoi. That circuit is quite difficult to get right, especially the final twisty sector, I feel like I lose a lot of time on the hairpins.

China has been cakewalk and I was able to take 10th position in MyTeam career.

I really enjoy Hanoi, those fast bends in the final quarter of the track are very satisfying when you get them right. A much better street circuit than say Singapore or Valencia for example. The worst part is getting through the first few corners with your nosecone still attached. That first corner is very tight when 3 abreast although the AI do suffer as well. A safety car appears to be a high probability here too so you can get unexpected results. 

15 minutes ago, rocojuanclarkus said:

I really enjoy Hanoi, those fast bends in the final quarter of the track are very satisfying when you get them right. A much better street circuit than say Singapore or Valencia for example. The worst part is getting through the first few corners with your nosecone still attached. That first corner is very tight when 3 abreast although the AI do suffer as well. A safety car appears to be a high probability here too so you can get unexpected results. 

We can never be friends, I loved Valencia.

Hanoi feels very tight, I'm having mega trouble with S3 myself, I wonder how the race will turn out.

• Agree 1

I really struggled at Spain. Playing on 80% I'm qualifying 15-20 in my team. At Spain I was last and about 2 seconds off the pace if the next slowest car.

at the moment i am at 90 % , had a tough race in MEL, because of a mistake I fell back, BAH I finished quite strong on 13th, VIE 14th and CHI 8th - so yes in China I would have needed the AI increased a bit, need to write that down for future seasons, in 2019 I had a masterpiece of AI letter for every track :D How do you treat your time "realistic" in my team? You cannot compare with your teammate, so you look on the teams which are near you in "team performance" board?

It is absolutely ridiculous how much the ai changes track to track it should be one of the first things they fix it is ridiculous going to Austria doing the qualifying program it saying I beat the provisional pole time putting it up to 100 for the race and finishing 8th put it back to 95 for silverstone I qualify last and and only beat latifi didn’t race too bad either

On 7/16/2020 at 9:50 PM, nuNceP said:

I can confirm I had a hard time in Bahrain and really hard time in Hanoi. That circuit is quite difficult to get right, especially the final twisty sector, I feel like I lose a lot of time on the hairpins.

China has been cakewalk and I was able to take 10th position in MyTeam career.

Bahrain was too easy for me

Doing a my team I found Bahrain to be far too easy. Went into Q3 and was in P2 when I messed up the strategy and ended last because I thought my tires had more life. Oh well you live and learn. 

I started Australia on 90 AI (that was my level from F1 2019) and found it really difficult. Couldn’t get close to green on the practice programmes. Lowered it to 85 which felt about right.

However Bahrain seems a bit easier (I’ve only done FP1 so far and completed most of the practice sessions with purple) so maybe I need to put it back up. I do much prefer the Sakhir circuit to Albert Park so maybe it’s just me.

I'm driving a lot on Hungaroring in recent days as we have the real race there this weekend and I'm struggling as hell in the race. In qualifying I'm really quick, in the top cars I easly get pole position, in cars from the middle of the pecking order Q3 is not a problem (I just took P4 in Racing Point), but in the race they are just massively faster than me, whereas I really don't think that I make too many mistakes. 

It is like 2019,you need to adjust the AI slightly race by race. Also my basic value is 90,as written above 2 races i needed to adjust to 92 and in spain i lowered to 89. Now Monaco,lets see whats there going on

4 hours ago, svensenk86 said:

It is like 2019,you need to adjust the AI slightly race by race. Also my basic value is 90,as written above 2 races i needed to adjust to 92 and in spain i lowered to 89. Now Monaco,lets see whats there going on

Keep me updated as you go! My base difficulty is 92 and I’ve just reached Spain but I’m going to start adjusting now after grabbing a P8 at Zandvoort with my teammate finishing 19th.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, GBPolesitter said:

Keep me updated as you go! My base difficulty is 92 and I’ve just reached Spain but I’m going to start adjusting now after grabbing a P8 at Zandvoort with my teammate finishing 19th

Will do that mate,as soon as I finished one season i can post my values. But it will take a while,kids and real life just allow me one race weekend per day 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How you guys finding the race pace this year in comparison to qualy?

I am right on the limit trying to beat my team mates fastest lap in qualy which is great he beat me by 1.4 seconds in my first career race in barhain but in china i beat him by a few thousanths of a second on 90.

Race pace I am struggling there just on it so fast.

9 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

I am right on the limit trying to beat my team mates fastest lap in qualy which is great he beat me by 1.4 seconds in my first career race in barhain but in china i beat him by a few thousanths of a second on 90.

I find myself struggling in qualifying but in the race I’m fairly consistent and seem to finish 3 or so places higher than my grid spot on average.

6 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

I've done a lot of testing about race pace. People seem to find it slower compared to qualifying but it is actually decently balanced.

The AI runs with a setup that is balanced between performance and tyre wear so if the user goes with a race based setup can have an advantage and be faster in the race. If the user goes with a TT-like setup is the exact opposite.

Are you using a setup based on pure performance? Are you overheating your tyres during the race?

Posted (edited)

I completed first season. I did everything on 105 and based on that I think (at least for me) these AI adjustments would balance things out:

+1 difficulty is ~0.2 s above 100 AI. Below 100 it's ~0.1 s, so double the numbers if below 100 AI.

For qualy in general a -2 or -3 seems in order. Below 100 AI I'd say about -5.

Australia: 0

Bahrain: -2

Hanoi: 0

China: +1

Zandvoort: +2

Spain: +2

Monaco: +5

Baku: 0

Canada: +5

France: +2

Austria: +4

GB: -5

Hungary: +3

Spa: 0

Monza: +3

Singapore: +10

Russia: +2

Japan: -5

USA: 0

Mexico: +5

Brazil: -3

Abu Dhabi: +3

In Spain the AI is bugged. It barely set times in FP sessions and not all AI had qualifying times. So ultimately hard to judge.

Edited by Nesjamag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sirio994 said:

I've done a lot of testing about race pace. People seem to find it slower compared to qualifying but it is actually decently balanced.

The AI runs with a setup that is balanced between performance and tyre wear so if the user goes with a race based setup can have an advantage and be faster in the race. If the user goes with a TT-like setup is the exact opposite.

Are you using a setup based on pure performance? Are you overheating your tyres during the race?

I stick with the default set up as I do not know too much set up wise apart from the wing numbers.

I would need a project cars 2 approach to tune the car with an engineer.

For monaco I will use highest down force preset when I get there and lowest downforce preset for monza.

Tyre temps are an issues for me so after good starting pace I drop off.

On 50% races I find dealing with the tyres a nightmare I am much better on 100% 

12 hours ago, Nesjamag said:

I completed first season. I did everything on 105 and based on that I think (at least for me) these AI adjustments would balance things out:

+1 difficulty is ~0.2 s above 100 AI. Below 100 it's ~0.1 s, so double the numbers if below 100 AI.

For qualy in general a -2 or -3 seems in order. Below 100 AI I'd say about -5.

Australia: 0

Bahrain: -2

Hanoi: 0

China: +1

Zandvoort: +2

Spain: +2

Monaco: +5

Baku: 0

Canada: +5

France: +2

Austria: +4

GB: -5

Hungary: +3

Spa: 0

Monza: +3

Singapore: +10

Russia: +2

Japan: -5

USA: 0

Mexico: +5

Brazil: -3

Abu Dhabi: +3

In Spain the AI is bugged. It barely set times in FP sessions and not all AI had qualifying times. So ultimately hard to judge.

Remember that you've probably improved at the game as the season went on.

I am up to Singapore in my 1st season - I started in Australia at 91 difficulty and have now gone to 96.

Most circuits I have found to be quite balanced - even Monaco if I can keep the car away from the barriers!

Most of my results have been between 12th and 20th barring the following:

Netherlands 9th - however I drove really well - maybe I had worked out car setup at this point

Austria 7th - A.I always seem to underperform here

France 8th - Surprised at A.I here - turned the difficulty up after this

Italy - Qualified 5th, finished 6th. A.I was too slow.

For me Austria and Italy is where A.I seems to be much slower than other circuits

And how about wet driving ? After first season i had only 1 wet race (mexico) and while dry quali was quite ok, then on wet i was a second faster than the others

Singapur is the weakest AI in the Game i think (because of the 2 stoppers they get stuck behind the slower cars)

difficult 105 and about 45sec ahead of 2nd place

So far in my 2nd season with my AI diffculty the same throughout, have mostly finished between 12th and 17th.

Finished 9th in China 

4th in Austria - to me this sticks out over all the other circuits as being too easy. Austria since F1 2016 has always been like this.