32 place grid penalty

Hey all

Just got a 32 place grid penalty for changing to an additional ICE in the my team career. Is this a bug?

I changed ICE to and for some reason i have 22 place grid penalty. Also my team. And i had spare one. I didn't choose new one over the limit.

Posted (edited)

Could still be a bug, but it is relevant to know when the component was changed. Between sessions, in Free Practice or after Qualy.

For every extra component beyond your allocated quota you'll get a 10 place grid penalty. If you're taking a second extra component from the same category, it's a 5 place grid penalty. It is even worse under parc fermé (when you leave the garage for Qualy), as any component change even if it comes from your original quota is deemed in breach of parc ferme rules and will net you (extra) penalties.

From the top of my head there are three types of penalties, grid place, back of the grid and starting from the pit lane. And whenever you exceed a 15 grid place penalty, you automatically start from the back of the grid. I may be wrong here but since the game doesn't simulate race starts from the pit lane, a breaching of parc ferme is probably being converted into grid place penalties too. 

It becomes even more cumbersome in real life when multiple drivers get penalties in excess of 15 places. I have no idea how the game simulate those scenarios but maybe that's why you get crazy high numbers, to sort the grid out.

Edited by marioho

Mine was adding a new ICE between quali and the race, im sure it said 32 but possibly was 22 places