Fanatec CSL Elite VS. Podium wheelbase...PS5

How big of a difference will it make. I am getting to the point where max FFB settings are no longer enough for me. I have 2 cars IRL I setup for racing. 1 has no power steering the other does but its stiffer than most cars Ive driven. I actually have been using the wheel setup as a means to help recover my shoulder after surgery and I cannot increase FFB anymore on the CSL. How much better is the FFB with the Podium series? Enough to justify 1000+ dollars? 

Will it allow me to feel the surfaces more on Dirt Rally 2.0? The FFB on Dirt Rally 2.0 feels dead compared to Dirt Rally. You could argue its more realistic in the way that most cars have power steering but I would still like more detail from it.

I know its semi risky buying a wheelbase that is not guaranteed to work on PS5 but I think PS would be fools to not have Fanatec be part of their future with VR and Racing games exploding in popularity during the outbreak.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:18 AM, Bullpupguy said:

I know its semi risky buying a wheelbase that is not guaranteed to work on PS5

Check the comments on Fanatec's site regarding compatibility.

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/podium-racing-wheel-f1

PlayStation 5: There is currently no information from Sony Computer Entertainment whether licensed PS4 products will be compatible with the upcoming PS5 console. Therefore we cannot guarantee any compatibility to PS5 hardware or PS5 games at this time.

Right now they're saying they don't know if PS5 will be compatible or not, but they are saying that Xbox will be (if you go to a similar section for an Xbox-supported device).

Personally, I'd wait to see what Fanatec/Sony say on the matter first. Your alternative is to go Xbox/PC in the future.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/21/2020 at 6:45 AM, PJTierney said:

Check the comments on Fanatec's site regarding compatibility.

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/podium-racing-wheel-f1

Right now they're saying they don't know if PS5 will be compatible or not, but they are saying that Xbox will be (if you go to a similar section for an Xbox-supported device).

Personally, I'd wait to see what Fanatec/Sony say on the matter first. Your alternative is to go Xbox/PC in the future.

I would be very upset if PS5 didnt support all the gear I purchased. If it looked like there was no chance of support, I would most likely get a dedicated PC for sims. I have a strong feeling that Fanatec will be supported since they currently have an F1 PS themed wheel, the CSL Elite PS4 version and a DD PS themed wheelbase.

Its also literally the only DD wheelbase that works with the PS4 without some kind of extra peripheral.

I dont see Thrustmaster or Logitech stepping up their quality that much in the short amount of time there is until the PS5 is released.

On 7/28/2020 at 3:31 PM, Bullpupguy said:

I would be very upset if PS5 didnt support all the gear I purchased.

Just seen this:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/03/playstation-5-answering-your-questions-on-compatible-ps4-peripherals-accessories/

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
  • The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games. 

Please note, not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals/accessories may work on PS5. We recommend checking with the manufacturer to confirm whether a product will work on PS5 and specific titles. 

The Fanatec CSL Elite Base is licensed for PS4, so it should work.

• Like 1