F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

What camera do you use?

What camera do you mainly use?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Camera angle:

• Wing
    • Nose
    • Cockpit
    • TV-Pod
    • TV-Pod Offset
    • Chase Near
    • Chase Far
  2. 2. Do you customise your chosen camera(s)?

• Yes
    • No

Used to be cockpit only for simulation purposes for years, but after occasionally trying T-Cam in several versions, I've since stuck with that.

There are a couple of practicalities to this: being able to see when a car is alongside you and, as mentioned above, an improvement in depth perception. The fact that T-Cam is faster, though, is neither here nor there for me because I solely play career mode, so it's just a matter of shifting difficulty up to make it fair and the difference is neutralized.

But mainly, for me, it's a visual / sensory thing. I love seeing the edge of the track sweeping past at high speed (especially the red & white rumble strips - coming out of turn 3 at Malaysia was when I first experienced this, that was really cool, woooooosh!) and this weirdly satisfying sensation of being able to see the wheels clipping the apex and then sweeping out again. Getting a better picture of the *shape* of the turn, the sweep of the car through a corner. It's just so aesthetically pleasing.

• Agree 2

Default T Cam for me. Love cockpit but I'd rather have transparent halo to raise the view without having to see the orizontal bar.

I don't want to see the in game wheel without having to use zoom.

In old F1 games I used to play with cockpit default just raised a bit. But now it is impossible with the halo.

I hate it because f1 is the only game I don't play in cockpit view but as said I've not been able to find comfortable combinations so far...

Cockpi, zoomed until I can see the mirrors. No halo pillar. 

Cockpit, with halo, max look to apex, no assists and driver names off so I can't see in the rain.

I hate myself but its satisfying!

Posted (edited)

Cockpit with halo disabled - in real life eyes/brain wouldn't register it being there.  I'll do a few laps at a new circuit in Tcam to learn layout, and then switch.  Yet to see a racing driver with head at Tcam level??  I adjust head height to be realistic as well as fore/aft position.  Would be good to remove hands and wheel, but I use the wheel info until I get a phone wheel dash.

In a real single seater, particularly with the G forces, there is precious little scope to move head around, about the same as 15 degrees look to apex, and certainly not over the side to see the curb.

Fov 0.80 with 49" 32:9 at 55cm.  Have look to apex at max 15, but following comment above, may try to reduce to see if it improves corner entry.

Non cockpit view should be considered an assist.

Edited by Pin6all_Wizard
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

28 minutes ago, Pin6all_Wizard said:

Non cockpit view should be considered an assist

Agree on this one

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 4

Haha yeah! All these 'esports pro drivers' in t-cam. Cockpit or nothing. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 3

2 hours ago, Pin6all_Wizard said:

It is in DiRT Rally 2.0. Then again, that's only under the "Hardcore" preset.

For 99% of players, having fun is more important than having a 1-to-1 simulation of a Formula 1 car 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, svensenk86 said:

Agree on this one

I disagree. It should be considered an assist only in games that provide enough options. And this game doesn't. It's plenty of drivers who play in cockpit view elsewhere and then switch to t cam just for this game. I do the same and can understand why. Even real life drivers used t cam while enjoied iracing's cam. Cockpit cam in this game is technically wrong for so many reasons. It's more a visor cam than a driver's view...

• Agree 1

Hi guys. Is it possible to adjust the height of the camera while in nose-cam/bumper-cam view? I always thought the default camera for nose-cam was always too low. I'd like to raise it to something along the lines of where Gran Turismo Sport has theirs.

I just converted to offset T-cam with F1 2020. Been using cockpit ever since I started "sim" racing back in the mid 90s with NASCAR Racing. Always thought it was the most realistic and hated the chase views because of the center pivoting of the cars. Then I had the chance to drive a real car on a real track at the Petty driving school a few years ago. Not even close! Also drove the Indy car the following year. Along with the obvious differences... inertia, g forces etc. and even with limited head movement because of the restraining devices it is a much easier to see your way around the track.

The 2 dimensional view offered in games today has improved considerably but the lack of peripheral vision still is not there. Point being... It is a game or simulation. It is not reality. Therefore I have no problem now driving out of the cockpit as it has improved my immersion by adding that little extra view enabling a much better racing experience for me. I still use cockpit view for other racing games but I think I am now a T-cam convert for F1 until VR matures a bit more.

T

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've actually really enjoyed cockpit for the first time in F1 (full Halo included) but I still enjoy my old favourite, the TV Pod central (symmetry (and accuracy as we sit centrally) is important to me, I can't even watch YouTubers use offsets without a straight face grumble thinking they must be one eyed pirates 😂).

I have shake and blur reduced half too. Though I've no experience of racing an F1 car let alone at 200mph+ with the G force they are capable of, other games with cars I have raced always make me feel either my eyes are very good or others are worryingly poor to the natural settings (anyone else feel this?), though research has proved most drivers on the road do have sight bordering on needing driving glasses, not passing distance tests or just barely. Anyway based purely on that its reduced. I don't get blurry vision and side vision is naturally occurring even when gaming. Shaking on bumps still needs work and tbh not that bothered until tracks are accurately lazered anyway. I'd prefer more on controller/wheel vibration feedback.

My Hud shows mirrors in TV Pod view so no need to tilt but cockpit I've made it to need to move the analogue stick to give a more real feel until we get VR support. The cockpit does look awesome this year, probably why I've enjoyed it so much more. The detail is bordering on perfect. Much smoother edges and clearer colour to colour not mashing into each other like with the older more jagged edged graphics.

On 7/19/2020 at 2:11 PM, Pin6all_Wizard said:

Cockpit with halo disabled - in real life eyes/brain wouldn't register it being there.  I'll do a few laps at a new circuit in Tcam to learn layout, and then switch.  Yet to see a racing driver with head at Tcam level??  I adjust head height to be realistic as well as fore/aft position.  Would be good to remove hands and wheel, but I use the wheel info until I get a phone wheel dash.

In a real single seater, particularly with the G forces, there is precious little scope to move head around, about the same as 15 degrees look to apex, and certainly not over the side to see the curb.

Fov 0.80 with 49" 32:9 at 55cm.  Have look to apex at max 15, but following comment above, may try to reduce to see if it improves corner entry.

But not showing the limited visor view also can be considered an assist too. The most realistic sim view would be the exact view you get wearing full cover face mask and helmet in the position the head would be not a visor cam view. Currently by that there is no sim view available.

44 minutes ago, Carystus said:

The most realistic sim view would be the exact view you get wearing full cover face mask and helmet in the position the head would be not a visor cam view. Currently by that there is no sim view available.

That's why you need to buy a racing helmet to wear in real life when you play 😄 

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2020 at 5:15 AM, USPBauer24 said:

Cockpit, with halo, max look to apex, no assists and driver names off so I can't see in the rain.

I hate myself but its satisfying!

THIS!

Also cockpit here and all HUD disabled, except for MFD, of course.

Halo enabled, maximum look to apex, maximum shake. I love the immersion and, honestly, I'm waaay better being able to see the wheel centralized in my screen when doing corners, not only in F1 games, but also in Dirt Rally 2.0, Forza Horizon and Motorsport, GRID, etc.

Can't explain, but it's like I can handle better the amount of turning and also can save more tire during the race. 

I just increase a bit vertically and move the camera a bit back in order to be able to see more of the mirrors when doing corners. Field of View is a setting I never mess with because, as a lot of people say, it can interfere in the gameplay, since the reference distance will be different, so, for me, it's essential to let in in 0.00 when using cockpit.

Finally, I really can't feel that halo is distracting. When cornering it doesn't block apex view and also it's perfectly possible to see other cars when overtaking. For me it's weird when it's disabled.

By the way, I would love a setting simulating any kind of "double ghosted halo bar" to replicate what human eyes actually see in real life, like when we put our finger in front of our view, but looking to something far away.

Is there any specific place where I can write this suggestion?

Cockpit only.

Halo centre pillar removed simply because normal eyesight doesn't see that much of the pillar.

Look to apex either zero or at most 1 so that if the car becomes loose visually, i know its the car moving and not the screen moving because of the steering. 

Could never race in T-Cam mode. 

On 7/19/2020 at 2:11 PM, Pin6all_Wizard said:

It's an interesting thought and one i subscribe too although i'm not sure i would label it as assist as the other assists in game are generally related to the car rather than the user.

However it isn't really debatable that T-Cam offers a significant advantage over cockpit view in terms of visibility to the point that really codemasters should probably consider adding an option to force users to be cockpit only view. I.e for Leagues so that everyone is on the same playing field.

To be honest, making the esports F1 drivers race from cockpit view should be mandatory really. It would make the series look more credible and after all, these drivers are suppose to be the best of the best so should have no issue adapting.  

I use one of the following offset tcam with angle set to -1.00 or cockpit, halo column on, no driver tags.

IMG_20200721_092358826.jpg

IMG_20200721_092054687.jpg

On 7/19/2020 at 4:38 PM, PJTierney said:

It is in DiRT Rally 2.0. Then again, that's only under the "Hardcore" preset.

For 99% of players, having fun is more important than having a 1-to-1 simulation of a Formula 1 car 🙂 

Yes, agree so doesn't really matter. But it is an overall performance assist. On Leaderboards you'd see what view was being used. It would be interesting to see the fastest CV times. 

For leagues and esports, it would ensure a level playing field.

Finally, many complain about lack of realism but then sit on the airbox. CV may lack some realism, but TC etc is completely unrealistic. 

I use the cockpit cam with a wider FOV so I can see the mirrors. This is on a 55 inch TV which is on a moveable TV wall mount (see pic). I also have the halo removed, no assists to try and replicate as much realism as possible. If true VR was possible on F1 2020 then I'd keep the Halo. 

With all of this, I am able to race competitively at 85 (expert). 

Personally, I find it odd that some use a wheel and the t-cam. Surely the point of using a wheel is to replicate the experience of an F1 driver? Am I wrong?

I definitely understand the benefits of the t-cam e.g. better awareness and car position when cornering - also aesthetically it's more pleasing. In previous years did the same when I had a controller and it meant I could play on 110 difficulty.

20200628_164440.jpg

• Agree 1

On 7/21/2020 at 1:28 PM, SIMRACER123 said:

It's an interesting thought and one i subscribe too although i'm not sure i would label it as assist as the other assists in game are generally related to the car rather than the user.

However it isn't really debatable that T-Cam offers a significant advantage over cockpit view in terms of visibility to the point that really codemasters should probably consider adding an option to force users to be cockpit only view. I.e for Leagues so that everyone is on the same playing field.

To be honest, making the esports F1 drivers race from cockpit view should be mandatory really. It would make the series look more credible and after all, these drivers are suppose to be the best of the best so should have no issue adapting.  

It is interesting as otherwise they wouldn't have Pro Career being locked to cockpit. If that doesn't scream any other camera is an assist, I don't know what does?!

Cockpit cam without Halo column, until they can project a central pillar in 3D it is actually more realistic to play without it, as in real life the driver can look past the pillar the same as we all look past our nose. 

• Agree 1

Cockpit cam with halo reduced. I have my view slightly higher than default though.

On 7/21/2020 at 7:50 AM, TKN42 said:

The 2 dimensional view offered in games today has improved considerably but the lack of peripheral vision still is not there. Point being... It is a game or simulation. It is not reality. Therefore I have no problem now driving out of the cockpit as it has improved my immersion by adding that little extra view enabling a much better racing experience for me. I still use cockpit view for other racing games but I think I am now a T-cam convert for F1 until VR matures a bit more.

This times 1000.

I've been T-Cam in F1 games since as long as I can remember. The only thing that would make me switch to cockpit would be VR, otherwise cockpit like driving while looking through a mailbox slot. The lack of peripheral vision is not realistic.

Speaking of which.... VR.... Codemasters? Can we at least have a discussion as to why you have been unable to enable it for F1?

8 hours ago, 1henryw said:

Cockpit cam with halo reduced. I have my view slightly higher than default though.

Well technically the game doesn't know how tall you are so you can increase it higher to replicate where your own head height would be and "technically" it would still be realistic 😄 

That said, if your 6 years old and only a few feet tall and wouldn't be able to see over the cockpit, i probably wouldn't recommend lowering it so you see nothing... 

• Haha 2