F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

What camera do you use?

What camera do you mainly use?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Camera angle:

• Wing
    • Nose
    • Cockpit
    • TV-Pod
    • TV-Pod Offset
    • Chase Near
    • Chase Far
  2. 2. Do you customise your chosen camera(s)?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

I've been T-Cam in F1 games since as long as I can remember. The only thing that would make me switch to cockpit would be VR, otherwise cockpit like driving while looking through a mailbox slot. The lack of peripheral vision is not realistic.

F1 drivers can't see much to the side of them IRL because of the head rest. Add a little "look to apex" and its not bad. Only add a little though as it feels weird otherwise. I only use 1 degree.

I would argue though if your reasoning is realism based, a little less peripheral vision for realism purposes is still somewhat closer to realism than racing from T-Cam though.

• Agree 2

I have used the far chase for a long time since I used that for racing games always. Recently I switched to TV pod and omg it is so much better, not just for the experience but also for handling your vehicle...I spin a lot less and also make less mistakes. Easier to handle the car in general....the negative is you can't see your livery 🙂

Posted (edited)

Cockpit with no halo and Track ir.  It really helps to be able to naturally look to the apex and check mirrors with Track ir.  I'm very happy they added a virtual mirror, helps massively with situational awareness.

I'm such a nerd I've also set limits to the track ir so I can't look beyond the limit of the hans device.... yes I have issues.

Edited by JonnyHoonit
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

This times 1000.

I've been T-Cam in F1 games since as long as I can remember. The only thing that would make me switch to cockpit would be VR, otherwise cockpit like driving while looking through a mailbox slot. The lack of peripheral vision is not realistic.

Speaking of which.... VR.... Codemasters? Can we at least have a discussion as to why you have been unable to enable it for F1?

"The lack of peripheral vision is not realistic"

I disagree, there is little peripheral vision for the F1 drivers. They rely heavily on sounds of other cars and to some degree their mirrors too in close quarters. 

Even just wearing a helmet restricts the peripherals when operating any vehicle, let alone being sat in an F1 car.

Agree with you that VR is definitely the next step for codemasters F1 series. I think Lee Mathers said it will be something they will consider developing for 2021. They had a tight schedule this year with COVID19 restrictions and two new tracks to create. You can kind of recreate VR in codemasters F1 games with vorpX but doesn't give you the ability to see around the halo for example.

Posted (edited)

I'm still playing F1 2017, as I'm yet to make up my mind about whether I should buy this year's game or wait until the next. I use TV pod, with the same settings TRL Limitless used in F1 2019.

Just a question: why do people use the offset TV cam? I mean, it's basically the regular TV pod but asymmetrical, so I don't see the point? I get that some might want to replicate an actual broadcast, but then there are people who completely change the FOV, offset, etc. settings... isn't it better to have a symmetrical view?

Edited by LuigiPeceguini
Forgot an apostrophe.

1 hour ago, LuigiPeceguini said:

I'm still playing F1 2017, as I'm yet to make up my mind about whether I should buy this years game or wait until the next. I use TV pod, with the same settings TRL Limitless used in F1 2019.

Just a question: why do people use the offset TV cam? I mean, it's basically the regular TV pod but asymmetrical, so I don't see the point? I get that some might want to replicate an actual broadcast, but then there are people who completely change the FOV, offset, etc. settings... isn't it better to have a symmetrical view?

I don't get it either but just try it and see what you think. I believe TRL Limitless now prefers it actually.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I don't get it either but just try it and see what you think. I believe TRL Limitless now prefers it actually.

I tried watching some of his videos once. Some of them were quite informative but i was always put off with his incessant complaining about everything. It's got to the point now that whenever i see him wandering around in game, i have to tell him to leave as i can't be doing with his negative energy before a race 😄 

4 minutes ago, SIMRACER123 said:

I tried watching some of his videos once. Some of them were quite informative but i was always put off with his incessant complaining about everything. It's got to the point now that whenever i see him wandering around in game, i have to tell him to leave as i can't be doing with his negative energy before a race 😄 

The live stream of a recent race where he messed up and started a race on hard tyres by mistake was quite funny, with him complaining about what the game had done. In his edited highlights of the same race he admitted it was his fault and showed what had happened. He's just very competitive so I don't actually mind it too much, and I do like to watch his videos to try to learn from. Tiametmarduk is more entertaining but I think TRL Limitless is the more consistently good driver.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LuigiPeceguini said:

I use it because it's further back, but I customise it to be symmetrical (among other changes).

16 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I use it because it's further back, but I customise it to be symmetrical (among other changes).

I see. Thanks for explaining!

4 minutes ago, LuigiPeceguini said:

I see. Thanks for explaining!

It works well, decent view of the car, the front tyres (important) and the road ahead.

Had to make the Practice Programme OSD a little smaller but overall it's good.

Some cars with my settings will clip the roll hoop even with minimum clipping plane settings, so I tweak those individually on top of the global setting.

image.png

It's similar to the F1 2010 position:

F1 2010 Review - Page 3 | New Game Network

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used Cockpit view with halo on and review mirror activated.

When I used to drive with TV Pod (No-offset), I moved the MFD onto the Halo so I could see the right mirror. Nice to see that the actual F1 have started to do that with their on screen graphics too!

On 7/18/2020 at 4:09 PM, PJTierney said:

T-Cam Offset, however I use a custom high angle, look-down approach, similar to the older F1 games.

HUD off when I am recording B-Roll for my own YouTube, unless necessary to illustrate a point.

image.png

I love how you can see the nose of the car with this angle. Care to share the specifications of the settings so I can copy it? 😄

Once I've finished running a massive Le Mans session in this view

EeH4sBfXkAAGJiH.thumb.jpeg.75237257bde6334eebc4bdf2eeb68410.jpegI I might have to give cockpit another try after all these years. Difficult of AI is lowered, but immersion is 10x higher. 

• Like 1

This is my onboard camera, for me, it's very nice 😝

I'll share with you some of the onboard cameras (I use a fixed camera setup for all the cars, included the F2 cars)

If you like this camera angles, I'll share the settings

F1® 2020_20200723224024.jpg

F1® 2020_20200720221709.jpg

F1® 2020_20200720222301.jpg

F1® 2020_20200720222014.jpg

F1® 2020_20200720221907.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

He heavily customized it and it's not asymmetrical at all.

9 minutes ago, Nas00 said:

He heavily customized it and it's not asymmetrical at all.

He definitely modified it but I thought at least at one point he was still liking it asymmetric. It's not really worth me checking back though as ultimately it's still up to the individual to decide what they like.

43 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

He definitely modified it but I thought at least at one point he was still liking it asymmetric. It's not really worth me checking back though as ultimately it's still up to the individual to decide what they like.

I saw almost all his vids anat no point the viwe was asymmetrical.

10 hours ago, Malarky94 said:

I love how you can see the nose of the car with this angle. Care to share the specifications of the settings so I can copy it? 😄

Next time I'm on Xbox I'll grab a screen and post it.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, alon11esp said:

This is my onboard camera, for me, it's very nice 😝

I'll share with you some of the onboard cameras (I use a fixed camera setup for all the cars, included the F2 cars)

If you like this camera angles, I'll share the settings

F1® 2020_20200723224024.jpg

F1® 2020_20200720221709.jpg

F1® 2020_20200720222301.jpg

F1® 2020_20200720222014.jpg

F1® 2020_20200720221907.jpg

From a cockpit user, if I were to use TCam, these angles are really nice. Low for the TCam & tight but able to see your mirrors! Great shots too!!

EDIT: In fact, can you please send me those settings. I may give them a sneaky go at some point 🙂

Edited by martbloke

On 7/29/2020 at 6:42 PM, SIMRACER123 said:

F1 drivers can't see much to the side of them IRL because of the head rest. Add a little "look to apex" and its not bad. Only add a little though as it feels weird otherwise. I only use 1 degree.

I would argue though if your reasoning is realism based, a little less peripheral vision for realism purposes is still somewhat closer to realism than racing from T-Cam though.

Yes F1 driver's heads are restricted some what from turning, but can still turn through at least 30 degrees. On top of that, their eyes still work just the same as yours.

Do this simple test. Hold your head perfectly still looking straight ahead and guesstimate what your FOV is. Now without moving your head at all, use your eyes to glance left and right and tell me how much wider that FOV is. That's without even taking into account what your rods (in your eyes) perceive naturally that you will not get from a 2D screen in front of you.

You can't replicate that sense of spatial awareness with look to apex.

You can only come closer to replicating it with triple screens or VR.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:38 PM, tyrenUK said:

"The lack of peripheral vision is not realistic"

I disagree, there is little peripheral vision for the F1 drivers. They rely heavily on sounds of other cars and to some degree their mirrors too in close quarters. 

And yet you can't even see your mirrors in the default cockpit view, nor is the sound anywhere good enough to use as reference.

Point being, the peripheral restrictions you encounter by trying to drive from a virtual F1 cockpit on a 2D monitor are FAR greater than in real life.

Even just wearing a helmet restricts the peripherals when operating any vehicle, let alone being sat in an F1 car.

Rubbish.

I wear a full face Shoei several times a week on my motorbike and there is minimal if any loss of peripheral vision. There is no way F1 helmets tangibly restrict a drivers peripheral vision.

Agree with you that VR is definitely the next step for codemasters F1 series. I think Lee Mathers said it will be something they will consider developing for 2021. They had a tight schedule this year with COVID19 restrictions and two new tracks to create. You can kind of recreate VR in codemasters F1 games with vorpX but doesn't give you the ability to see around the halo for example.

I hope so, that would be great. I wasn't aware Lee had said that, that's encouraging.

14 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

And yet you can't even see your mirrors in the default cockpit view, nor is the sound anywhere good enough to use as reference.

Point being, the peripheral restrictions you encounter by trying to drive from a virtual F1 cockpit on a 2D monitor are FAR greater than in real life.

Rubbish.

I wear a full face Shoei several times a week on my motorbike and there is minimal if any loss of peripheral vision. There is no way F1 helmets tangibly restrict a drivers peripheral vision.

Hey JesseDeya,

Personally, I don't think switching to the T-cam or offset cam is the answer to solving the realism problem around awareness. I think the cockpit view with careful attention to the sounds of other cars and with the camera customised to see the mirrors is a more realistic solution. I use RIG800HS headphones at full volume when I race to try and listen out for car sounds in cockpit view, which works, but does make me wonder if F1 2020 supports Dolby Atmos to make it even better?

Regarding your comment around peripheral vision and helmets, as you can imagine due to road safety there is research on this which suggests that those who wear full face helmets have to turn their heads further vs. other helmets to enable them to see more. I too ride and definitely think my peripheral vision is somewhat compromised when wearing my full face helmet, hence why it's important to do the full turn of the head when doing the life-saver check and not just a quick glance with your eyes. I must admit I don't know for sure if F1 drivers helmets are any different but at a glance you can see that their visors are smaller vs. MotoGP for example. Nevertheless, I'm conscious at this point we are digressing from the forum topic.

A quick question out of curiosity but would you use the cockpit view if VR and Dolby Atmos were available?

Many thanks

T

15 minutes ago, tyrenUK said:

Hey JesseDeya,

Personally, I don't think switching to the T-cam or offset cam is the answer to solving the realism problem around awareness. I think the cockpit view with careful attention to the sounds of other cars and with the camera customised to see the mirrors is a more realistic solution. I use RIG800HS headphones at full volume when I race to try and listen out for car sounds in cockpit view, which works, but does make me wonder if F1 2020 supports Dolby Atmos to make it even better?

Regarding your comment around peripheral vision and helmets, as you can imagine due to road safety there is research on this which suggests that those who wear full face helmets have to turn their heads further vs. other helmets to enable them to see more. I too ride and definitely think my peripheral vision is somewhat compromised when wearing my full face helmet, hence why it's important to do the full turn of the head when doing the life-saver check and not just a quick glance with your eyes. I must admit I don't know for sure if F1 drivers helmets are any different but at a glance you can see that their visors are smaller vs. MotoGP for example. Nevertheless, I'm conscious at this point we are digressing from the forum topic.

A quick question out of curiosity but would you use the cockpit view if VR and Dolby Atmos were available?

Many thanks

T

Hey mate, well considered reply, thanks.

I play on PC and also use decent cans (Steel Series Wireless H) and the spatial awareness from sound just isn't there. FWIW I have bought a licence for both the Dolby Atmos and DTS Sound Unbound decoders in Windows 10, just not sure F1 2020 really supports them. I might have to do more testing with that though, it is possible there is some untapped potential in the sound scape that I haven't found.

With respect to helmets, being a cyclist and motorcyclist I honestly don't think my peripheral vision is markedly different in either scenario. Yup, we must always do the life-saver check (always!), but if I'm honest I don't think I move my head more on my motorbikes than I do on my bicycles. Tomorrow I will try on both helmets and test!

If VR were available I would only use cockpit view, and I expect that is the only view VR would support, as is normally the case in racing titles.

Not sure Dolby Atmos is going to change my mind, sound is an important factor in how interpret the world around us, but inferior to vision, without question.