Jump to content
F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

What camera do you use?

What camera do you mainly use?  

149 members have voted

  1. 1. Camera angle:

    • Wing
      0
    • Nose
      1
    • Cockpit
      68
    • TV-Pod
      57
    • TV-Pod Offset
      21
    • Chase Near
      1
    • Chase Far
      0
  2. 2. Do you customise your chosen camera(s)?

    • Yes
      102
    • No
      46


Recommended Posts

Would be interested to know which camera angle everybody is using, and why have you chosen that, what are the positive and negatives for you?

If you're in cockpit cam, do you have the halo turned off or go pure simulation?

For me I'll go TV POD, have done since oh, F1 2005 or something, with a couple of minor adjustments (FOV 0.80, Offset Horizontal -0.20) just to give a clearer view of the road.

Cockpit, and I find the same with in-car cameras in most racing games, except rally for some reason, make it really difficult for me to attack a corner properly, making me hesitant and not feeling in control. So in a GT Sport or NASCAR Heat I'll still keep it 'hood' cam so I can see my  corner entries better. 

Be interesting to hear yours, anyone using chase?! :classic_ninja: 

EdNqshCXgAUSv48.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T-Cam Offset, however I use a custom high angle, look-down approach, similar to the older F1 games.

HUD off when I am recording B-Roll for my own YouTube, unless necessary to illustrate a point.

image.png

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cockpit with halo enabled, and basically default setups except for less shaking and no look to apex (and next-to-no UI)

Don't really have an answer on why. I always use cockpit in rFactor games, so I just use cockpit in F1 games.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UP100 said:

Cockpit with halo enabled, and basically default setups except for less shaking and no look to apex (and next-to-no UI)

Don't really have an answer on why. I always use cockpit in rFactor games, so I just use cockpit in F1 games.

When I (rarely) use Cockpit, I have Look to Apex maxed out. 🙂 

You'll see this in the official Hotlap videos.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

T-Cam Offset, however I use a custom high angle, look-down approach, similar to the older F1 games.

HUD off when I am recording B-Roll for my own YouTube, unless necessary to illustrate a point.

image.png

Not that I use them but the Ferrari has a great TV Pod angle for the wing mirrors, noticed doing a season in it in 2019, might be the only car perfectly aligned like that in the game currently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Would be interested to know which camera angle everybody is using, and why have you chosen that, what are the positive and negatives for you?

If you're in cockpit cam, do you have the halo turned off or go pure simulation?

For me I'll go TV POD, have done since oh, F1 2005 or something, with a couple of minor adjustments (FOV 0.80, Offset Horizontal -0.20) just to give a clearer view of the road.

Cockpit, and I find the same with in-car cameras in most racing games, except rally for some reason, make it really difficult for me to attack a corner properly, making me hesitant and not feeling in control. So in a GT Sport or NASCAR Heat I'll still keep it 'hood' cam so I can see my  corner entries better. 

Be interesting to hear yours, anyone using chase?! :classic_ninja:

I think your brain just has gotten used to looking at the track through a fish-eye lens so to speak. For me it's the exact opposite, I couldn't drive like that without putting in a lot of hours first.

I'm using cockpit with the vertical halo disabled and virtual mirror enabled (so happy for this feature). FOV settings differ with cars, but usually it's between -25 to -45 with a 50" screen about a meter away. Might change the angle and/or vertical offset depending on the car just get my wheel to overlap the virtual wheel. I use the same approach in rallying.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use near chase because that's what I used in any NASCAR games I had. Although, I can't remember if it was the only one offered in them.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

When I (rarely) use Cockpit, I have Look to Apex maxed out. 🙂 

You'll see this in the official Hotlap videos.

I feel like Look to Apex sometimes makes me underestimate the amount of turning I have to do, so I decided to disable it. I'll also add one reason to use cockpit: It looks cool in heavy rain, the first 8 seconds look quite impressive due to the encoding and such 😛

Also a throwback to the 2nd 'Where's Barry" Friday for those who remember, apparently I had look to apex on back then and the HUD apart from driver tags! The driver tags are quite annoying in cockpit mode as they're in front of the halo, so you kind of lose the feeling of depth. That's because the UI is drawn differently to the gameplay, so there isn't much to do to fix it.

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cockpit, halo disabled.

With VR I would enable halo because I can naturally "look beyond" it but with 2d on monitor is just an unnecessary obstacle and I am in no danger of debris hitting my head.

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UP100 said:

I feel like Look to Apex sometimes makes me underestimate the amount of turning I have to do, so I decided to disable it. I'll also add one reason to use cockpit: It looks cool in heavy rain, the first 8 seconds look quite impressive due to the encoding and such 😛

For me the problem is that if I put a lot of Look to Apex, I start turning into tight/blind corners too early. It's psychological problem really. Turning the wheel gives a better view of the apex, so I do just that, but the result is a poor entry line and a red delta. I've now settled to 4 degrees. My view is a bit closer so it does really help in certain types of corners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of this subject, I just had a thought that maybe there should be an option for private or unranked lobbies where you can set the allowed driving view limited to cockpit view only. I find it quite funny when people are screaming for more realism, but the overwhelming majority of users drive in T-Cam view 😄 

The pro esports drivers should have cockpit view only during their competitions. But that's just my opinion.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

Speaking of this subject, I just had a thought that maybe there should be an option for private or unranked lobbies where you can set the allowed driving view limited to cockpit view only. I find it quite funny when people are screaming for more realism, but the overwhelming majority of users drive in T-Cam view 😄 

The pro esports drivers should have cockpit view only during their competitions. But that's just my opinion.

I'd also like to see this feature. I don't mind the existence of T-Cam. If I drove on the pad I would definitely use it, but I see no negatives in having an option to set a certain camera for private lobbies.

I agree with what you said on e-sports. They are all great drivers and they race with wheels. I'd much prefer to see them using cockpit. This would then eventually trickle down so that anyone aspiring to compete in these events would also start using it, and so on.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

The pro esports drivers should have cockpit view only during their competitions. But that's just my opinion.

I'd imagine that the producers would want them to be running on T-Cam in order to have more "broadcast like" footage, as the game has only two spectator spots (though this could be increased with at least "some" work, it could even be esports only and such)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I'd imagine that the producers would want them to be running on T-Cam in order to have more "broadcast like" footage, as the game has only two spectator spots (though this could be increased with at least "some" work, it could even be esports only and such)

To be honest I don't see the point in pursuing a copy of a TV-broadcast. They would undoubtedly have driver-eye or "cockpit" views on TV if it were technologically possible. Not saying they would dump the T-Cams, but they would have both if they could. As it stands, the virtual broadcasters can't show cockpit cams either if no one is using them. Like the clip you posted above - wouldn't you love to see such footage on TV or in a virtual race?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, janbonator said:

To be honest I don't see the point in pursuing a copy of a TV-broadcast. They would undoubtedly have driver-eye or "cockpit" views on TV if it were technologically possible. Not saying they would dump the T-Cams, but they would have both if they could. As it stands, the virtual broadcasters can't show cockpit cams either if no one is using them. Like the clip you posted above - wouldn't you love to see such footage on TV or in a virtual race?

I wouldn't really want to see cockpit footage when I'm not driving. It doesn't scale up well, and there isn't really anything particularly interesting happening on most of the screen. It's rarely used in simracing broadcasts in general. Usually onboard camera used is always something close to a T-Cam.

Cockpit camera can be shown in F1 Esports as long as it's one of the two observers. F1 did use helmet cameras from 2012 to 2013, but they just weren't that good, although they were significantly better than what a driver's eye camera would be, as you could actually see something from them.

In 2018 F1 showed us how annoying cockpit cameras would look. Imagine trying to figure out what happened in a crash when the replay looks like this

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Driver's eye camera in real life would be so much better if the camera had motion stabilizer. That would get rid of the constant shaking and give you more realistic view of the actual driver's eye, since your eyes are not shaking in real life 😄 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I wouldn't really want to see cockpit footage when I'm not driving. It doesn't scale up well, and there isn't really anything particularly interesting happening on most of the screen. It's rarely used in simracing broadcasts in general. Usually onboard camera used is always something close to a T-Cam.

Cockpit camera can be shown in F1 Esports as long as it's one of the two observers. F1 did use helmet cameras from 2012 to 2013, but they just weren't that good, although they were significantly better than what a driver's eye camera would be, as you could actually see something from them.

In 2018 F1 showed us how annoying cockpit cameras would look. Imagine trying to figure out what happened in a crash when the replay looks like this

 

That video illustrates why I said "technologically possible". It's a fish-eye lens that is constantly out of focus and lacking the liquid suspension in our eyes, which makes it pretty horrible to watch. In the virtual there are no such problems. I didn't actually know that the observers can show cockpit. I wonder why spectators can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cockpit with Halo column disabled. Kinda like the feeling of being 'in the car'.  

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, janbonator said:

I didn't actually know that the observers can show cockpit. I wonder why spectators can't.

Eh nevermind, that's a mistake on my part. It wouldn't be a big change though, so they totally could, if they'd really want to 🙂 

Also maybe I'll leave this thread alone, so we can stay on the topic of what cameras people use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the T-cam style view in GT Sport because of the limited camera settings, but for some reason it just feels weird for me driving in T-cam in the F1 games. The steering feels somehow disconnected, like there is some kind of lag.

I bet if I practiced enough I could get used to it but I prefer cockpit view 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cockpit with Halo, little adjustements,sitting a bit higher and closer to the wheel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, svensenk86 said:

Cockpit with Halo, little adjustements,sitting a bit higher and closer to the wheel

That's exactly the view that I use and what I adjust in the view. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TurkeySloth2107 said:

I use near chase because that's what I used in any NASCAR games I had. Although, I can't remember if it was the only one offered in them.

You are a dangerous, dangerous man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just using the default T-cam for now.

I like the idea of cockpit view for realism but it isn't really as you can't turn your head to look around you and because you don't get the same depth perception. Also in real life you don't have another guys hands and steering wheel in front of your own.

I have done one 5 lap race with cockpit view but I can't see me going back to it any time soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×