F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

F1 2020: Driving against the AI as realistic as never before

On 10/16/2020 at 11:54 AM, DRTApophis said:

The thing is, Ai is Ai, unless the technology as a whole evolve or else they'll never behave exactly like humans.

I used Extreme Damage Mod so I know the AI are especially stupid when they run into stationary cars, but that's pretty much about it. To be honest, the game wasn't designed and didn't intend to expect you to just stop your car in the middle of the track anyways. 

Though, I hardly ever had any issue with AI overtaking me. To me, it seems more like you didn't leave them enough space like you would when against human (I used to be like that too). I have more problem with them not being aggressive enough, they were too nice and just back out when I was barely squeezing them when defending. Sometime they overshot their braking too, so I anticipate them like human and adjust my line accordingly which worked very well.

Speaking of straight line speed:

• Were you using a Honda engine? In your first season?
  • How far were you in your engine R&D?
  • Were you actively playing with fuel-mix like you're suppose to?
  • Was your engine overheating?
  • Components wore-out?
  • KERS running out?
  • or didn't get a good corner exit?
  • Too much fuel to weight your car down?
  • Chassis too heavy?
  • Didn't upgrade drag reduction?
  • Running too much downforce?

There're so many things that could affect this. I had these problems too when I first started out the game, but I figured it's heavily impacted by you R&D and your familiarity of the system, because the issue eventually just disappeared when my progression actually caught up with them. 

You’re spot on. I’m having a great experience with the AI. I’m on 95 difficulty. But putting it up to 100 next race. 

And to be honest, I feel the ones that actively complain and go on and on with the AI about this and that aren’t very good at the game and don’t want to admit it because it’s not alpha and cool to admit you’re not super fast. Who cares. I’ve seen people play on 40 difficulty and get great races and it’s a perfect setting for them. Who cares what level you’re on. Once you find the perfect level the races are a blast. And actually sometimes better then racing humans. The open lobbies more times than not the other guys do crazy stuff and ruin the race for everyone like almost never Brake for turn 1 or are super crazy overly aggressive at every corner the whole race. At least with the AI you get the predictability but at the same time you can still be overtaken and race wheel to wheel and know they won’t run you off the road 100% of the time. 

Of course if you get an online race with friends and people you know or often race with then yes online becomes even more of a blast. 

21 minutes ago, GlassHalfFull10 said:

You’re spot on. I’m having a great experience with the AI. I’m on 95 difficulty. But putting it up to 100 next race. 

And to be honest, I feel the ones that actively complain and go on and on with the AI about this and that aren’t very good at the game and don’t want to admit it because it’s not alpha and cool to admit you’re not super fast. Who cares. I’ve seen people play on 40 difficulty and get great races and it’s a perfect setting for them. Who cares what level you’re on. Once you find the perfect level the races are a blast. And actually sometimes better then racing humans. The open lobbies more times than not the other guys do crazy stuff and ruin the race for everyone like almost never Brake for turn 1 or are super crazy overly aggressive at every corner the whole race. At least with the AI you get the predictability but at the same time you can still be overtaken and race wheel to wheel and know they won’t run you off the road 100% of the time. 

Of course if you get an online race with friends and people you know or often race with then yes online becomes even more of a blast. 

I do understand why some having frustrations with the AI, their performance from track to track & from season to season can be quite drastically different which made finding the right difficulty setting quite tricky.

Though after so many years in racing games, I think this is the one where I think is closest to racing actual humans. When you get the difficulty settings right, the kind of close wheel-to-wheel racing you get is almost impossible to replicate even with racing against experienced human players.

The more you're able to perform in close battles, the more they repay you with the same.

The AI here are not only very competitive in terms of pace (which is already very rare in sim/simcade racers), but they actually defend or attack and respect your space while giving you a proper fight if you do the same to them, it's bloody great.

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, DRTApophis said:

I do understand why some having frustrations with the AI, their performance from track to track & from season to season can be quite drastically different which made finding the right difficulty setting quite tricky.

Though after so many years in racing games, I think this is the one where I think is closest to racing actual humans. When you get the difficulty settings right, the kind of close wheel-to-wheel racing you get is almost impossible to replicate even with racing against experienced human players.

The AI here are not only very competitive in terms of pace (which is already very rare in sim/simcade racers), but they actually defend or attack and respect your space while giving you a proper fight if you do the same to them, it's bloody great.

I have this difficulty calculator I use. You use Barcelona as your test track. Do qualifying there. Select any number 2 driver (number 1 driver if you want it a little easier). And run a short qualifying. Or one shot. I did on shot. And run you’re best lap. Flashback of you need to till you hit the corner the best way you can at that moment. And compare time to teammate. If you’re with in 1-2 tenths go with it. Type that into your base difficulty and it calculates what you’re level at every track would be. And you can go back every so often and do it again as your improve. 

If you’re interested I can give you the link to the calculator 

12 minutes ago, GlassHalfFull10 said:

I have this difficulty calculator I use. You use Barcelona as your test track. Do qualifying there. Select any number 2 driver (number 1 driver if you want it a little easier). And run a short qualifying. Or one shot. I did on shot. And run you’re best lap. Flashback of you need to till you hit the corner the best way you can at that moment. And compare time to teammate. If you’re with in 1-2 tenths go with it. Type that into your base difficulty and it calculates what you’re level at every track would be. And you can go back every so often and do it again as your improve. 

If you’re interested I can give you the link to the calculator 

I've tried similar method as well as taking other players' recommended settings for each track as references. Can't say it's perfect now but I've been refining my difficulty list from going through 7 full seasons (50% distance) across different saves with different progressions.

AI get progressively stronger the further you're into the career, the grippier car benefited by their R&D progression amplified their advantage of very consistent throttle control off traction corners.

I'll probably release my list sometime in the close future once I'm really satisfy with it. 

Edited by DRTApophis

20 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

The more you're able to perform in close battles, the more they repay you with the same.

Absolutely agree, it's just incredible how the AI is working good here :classic_cool:
It's true that I'm away from racing sim since 20 years (it was running MGPRS2 :classic_rolleyes:), so I have not recent comparisons but I'm having so great fun with F1 2020 :classic_smile:

20 hours ago, Nuvolarix said:

Absolutely agree, it's just incredible how the AI is working good here :classic_cool:
It's true that I'm away from racing sim since 20 years (it was running MGPRS2 :classic_rolleyes:), so I have not recent comparisons but I'm having so great fun with F1 2020 :classic_smile:

Just by comparing our current AI with the ones in F1 2010...that was the last F1 game I played and thought it was decent based on my memories, but I recently watched some video of it and just....WOW, never thought it was so bad.