F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE | Season 3 starting 20/11 Read more... ×

F1 2020: Driving against the AI as realistic as never before

Absolutely, passes against some drivers take laps to set up, if they ever happen.

• Like 1

Yes,same here but different settings,problem is,if you make a mistake you lost that fight against the guy in front of you, you can hardly catch up because the AI does not make mistakes...after 4 50% races in a row in rainy conditions, i can say that -.- they just drive their race without missing the perfect driving lane...that suckz a bit as they said AI improved this year.

• Disagree 1

Yes I don't know if this is like how it feels on track IRL but it sure makes it feel like what I'm watching on TV. The hunt for the car before you or trying to chase away from the car behind you has really become realistic. I really hope they don't change that because it looks like they hit the sweet spot.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

Yes I don't know if this is like how it feels on track IRL but it sure makes it feel like what I'm watching on TV. The hunt for the car before you or trying to chase away from the car behind you has really become realistic. I really hope they don't change that because it looks like they hit the sweet spot.

"They hit the sweet spot" ! THIS is exactly what i think, too.

I'm still excited about my last race in Barcelona. I drove 24 laps behind my teammate and had no chance to overtake him. This can be very frustrating for some, especially for those who want to overtake 5 cars in one lap by simply pressing the overtake button. But I think this is realistic for Formula 1. I hope Codemasters still sees it that way. If not, a slider would be optimal so that everyone can adjust the realism themselves.

Edited by ndrst
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I love it. Yesterday drove 50% race at Zandvoort. Qualified P11 and due to a different strategy passed one car to get in P10. With 15 laps to go sitting within DRS range of Ocon, but could not quite get close enough to attempt anything. Almost 10 laps went by, while the gap stayed around 1 sec. With just a few laps to go I managed to pass him and created a gap of 2 seconds to take P9.

Spain followed, starting P18 coming two tenths short for a place in Q2. Overtook 2 cars on the start, my teammate overtook even more and was right behind me. I got stuck behind my rival Giovinazzi, but my exit on the last turn was awful compared to his. So it was around 15 laps of the same, me getting close throughout the whole lap, closing the gap to 0.4 seconds but being nowhere on the main straight. Eventually it took a really bold move on the inside of turn 1 to get past. It wasn't the finest move ever, but it was the only chance I had. After that, I drove away pretty fast, almost closing the gap to Magnussen on P10, but I couldn't quite match his pace on the last few laps. Last lap, penultimate corner, Magnussen has an engine failure, giving me P10 and 1 point at last.

Both races were so satisfying, even though I only managed to make a few overtakes and was nowhere near the pace of the front runners.

• Agree 1

Absolutely agree with the positive feedback in this post, I've been putting the difficulty up, and even at 75 I actually enjoy finishing 11 or 12 after qualified 14 or 15 as much as when I finished 2nd after qualified 8th there's a real grit to the races now, and I like the fact a couple of cars have retired in a couple of races I've had, and not just my useless teammate Jordan king lol who I'm sure is a fantastic driver in real life

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe just in my imagination, but could swear that depending on which driver you are attacking/defending against makes a difference.

In the same race I passes Stroll with relative ease in Bahrain down the main straight into 1, he yielded and didn't come back - around 10 laps later Perez in the exact same circumstance pushed me right to the edge of the track and came back at me once I passed. 

Give them credit where its deserved yes its buggy and some of it needs more patches but I agree the ai are great this year. 

Better than alot of humans ive played with.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Agree, the AI this year is amazing so far, even with using a pad and having most of the assists off(just use automatic gears and medium TC). Had some lovely battles so far. 

• Agree 1

My only gripe with the AI is just like my issue in 19, the AI almost never do one stops mediums to hard EVER. I’m China 9/10 of the top 10 did S, S, S, M. The rest did S, S, M. I did M to H. Like really? 2 of them did M S S S and M S M. Like really? Also in Spain. No one used the hard everyone 2-4 stopped. Like that’s not realistic at all. And of course me starting towards the back finish in the points or beat the points because I 1 stopped. 

On 7/19/2020 at 6:41 AM, BelgiumDude said:

Add VR and you're gonna be quite close. As a former gocart and touring car driver, but nowadays I only do some trackdays without competitive elements, I have to say it's getting about as close as it can get. Of course, the movements, the shaking, rattling and then the G-forces we can never get, not even with a simrig that simulates some of it. The thing I miss the most though is the depth perception, you can't really feel the speed in the same way without it and finding that sweetspot braking point is so much easier in reality. VR will help a lot there, even though it still won't be quite there.

The tension of having that car pushing behind you feels real enough though, AI or multiplayer doesn't make much of a difference there even if I know a real player is a lot more unpredictable than the AI. In the actual moment I don't feel much different than I did on the real tracks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2020 at 8:27 PM, svensenk86 said:

Yes,same here but different settings,problem is,if you make a mistake you lost that fight against the guy in front of you, you can hardly catch up because the AI does not make mistakes...after 4 50% races in a row in rainy conditions, i can say that -.- they just drive their race without missing the perfect driving lane...that suckz a bit as they said AI improved this year.

I’ve seen them make mistakes. The higher the difficulty the more prone they are to make mistakes because they’re driving faster. Lower difficulty and they don’t push as much and don’t use Overtake or rich mix as much. 

Edited by GlassHalfFull10
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The higher the difficulty the more prone they are to make mistakes because they’re driving faster. Lower difficulty and they don’t push as much and don’t use Overtake or rich mix as much. 

which AI level are you using? So you mean with higher difficulty the more mistakes happen? I would not believe this theory

1 hour ago, svensenk86 said:

which AI level are you using? So you mean with higher difficulty the more mistakes happen? I would not believe this theory

I’m on 95 AI. And I watch Tom97 Videos and he’s on 110 and I see mistakes from the AI

well ok, I am with 90 as a basic value, in Canada now it is 100 for example, let`s see, I will have a closer look on that topic. Would be cool if you could share the videos you mention.

7 hours ago, GlassHalfFull10 said:

My only gripe with the AI is just like my issue in 19, the AI almost never do one stops mediums to hard EVER. I’m China 9/10 of the top 10 did S, S, S, M. The rest did S, S, M. I did M to H. Like really? 2 of them did M S S S and M S M. Like really? Also in Spain. No one used the hard everyone 2-4 stopped. Like that’s not realistic at all. And of course me starting towards the back finish in the points or beat the points because I 1 stopped. 

Problem with codemasters strategies is yes the 2 stopper in game is fastsr than the 1 stopper if you look at the pre race strategies.

Ai are not accountibng for traffic which is where the one stop is better so yes technically for whatever reason 2 stops is faster.

If you go to 50% races youll find most teams 1 stopping which is more realistic but the race distance is not.

34 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

Problem with codemasters strategies is yes the 2 stopper in game is fastsr than the 1 stopper if you look at the pre race strategies.

Ai are not accountibng for traffic which is where the one stop is better so yes technically for whatever reason 2 stops is faster.

If you go to 50% races youll find most teams 1 stopping which is more realistic but the race distance is not.

Haven’t recorded my races. I will next one and show you. 

I dont disagree with your point btw I agree the strategies need looking at maybe bring it up in suggestions

Amazing ? Really ?

I haven't played a F1 game since 2009 or something, "nothing" has changed since then... And you call this a great AI while you are playing with full assist...

Go play the game at AI 100+ without assist and you will see how bad it is :

- Other pilots go faster than you in staight line no matter what

- Other pilots exit corners faster than you even if they have a really bad placement

- At the start of the race, even if in the 1st/2nd and 3rd gear you are faster than them with 100% accelerator, suddenly they go faster than you

- In corners, they have super duper mega traction/adhesions

- Other pilots that are behind you don't care and will push you out of the circuit or cut your trajectory; they don't break if it's needed to avoid a crash

Difficulty is artificial and not actual AI taking the right decision to overtake or to stay behind and adapting its way of driving depending its position on the track.

I don't know if you guys have already driven IRL (karting for exemple) but it's not how it works IRL : you have to respect your opponent trajectory if he is in front of you, period.

Well, everything is a joke. And yes, i won't speak about physics cause it's even worst... And what i see is some players appauding how improved it is. Believed the press and some forum posts, won't do it anymore.

Now i know why simracers avoid this serie.

Edited by maderr
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, maderr said:

Amazing ? Really ?

I haven't played a F1 game since 2009 or something, "nothing" has changed since then... And you call this a great AI while you are playing with full assist...

Go play the game at AI 100+ without assist and you will see how bad it is :

- Other pilots go faster than you in staight line no matter what

- Other pilots exit corners faster than you even if they have a really bad placement

- At the start of the race, even if in the 1st/2nd and 3rd gear you are faster than them with 100% accelerator, suddenly they go faster than you

- In corners, they have super duper mega traction/adhesions

- Other pilots that are behind you don't care and will push you out of the circuit or cut your trajectory; they don't break if it's needed to avoid a crash

Difficulty is artificial and not actual AI taking the right decision to overtake or to stay behind and adapting its way of driving depending its position on the track.

I don't know if you guys have already driven IRL (karting for exemple) but it's not how it works IRL : you have to respect your opponent trajectory if he is in front of you, period.

Well, everything is a joke. And yes, i won't speak about physics cause it's even worst... And what i see is some players appauding how improved it is. Believed the press and some forum posts, won't do it anymore.

Now i know why simracers avoid this serie.

Seems like we're playing a completely different game...or may be you need to lower the difficulty a little.

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

Seems like we're playing a completely different game...or may be you need to lower the difficulty a little.

Whatever the difficulty is, everything is artificial, they don't react as a real pilot would... Even the cars don't behave as yours is.

Try this :

1. In a straight, be next an AI opponent and push his car with yours till his wheels are on the grass, what does happen ? Nothing, he doesn't loose adherence, he doesn't loose control, he doesn't loose speed. 😃

2. During the start, don't move your car, nothing, you just stay in place at the start of the race. AI will crash into you

As simple as that, AI can't behave properly when you don't move, how can you expect it to behave properly when you move and take some last second decisions ? Yes, it can't. AI doesn't respect your trajectory (when behind you) even though it's obvious that you have to take that trajectory as it's the best one. Nope, AI will bump into you and push you away from the track.

Ai will never change its trajectory taking your in account. When you are the one behind, ok, it's fair but when you are the one in front and the AI car is licking your ass, the AI has to drive clean and break if it cannot pass you without any collision risk.

Only way to have a proper race ? To play with an AI that is way lower than your driving level. Players that outplay AI 110 are players that for exemple have a 1:02.xxx hot lap on Red Bull Ring while the AI at this level is around 1:04.xxx/1:05.xxx.

It's broken and it was exactly the same 10 years ago.

Is there any difference between PC and Console AI ?

PS : never had any problem driving against either high level kart driver nor low level drivers in the same race. Never had any crash or trajectory problem. When i know i was in a good position to overtake without "blocking" the opponent, i overtake and keep my line, when i know i'm not in a good position to do it (not enough speed or needing to force it in a corner), i don't overtake, i stay behind and wait the next occasion to do it properly...

Edited by maderr
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, maderr said:

Whatever the difficulty is, everything is artificial, they don't react as a real pilot would... Even the cars don't behave as yours is.

Try this :

1. In a straight, be next an AI opponent and push his car with yours till his wheels are on the grass, what does happen ? Nothing, he doesn't loose adherence, he doesn't loose control, he doesn't loose speed. 😃

2. During the start, don't move your car, nothing, you just stay in place at the start of the race. AI will crash into you

As simple as that, AI can't behave properly when you don't move, how can you expect it to behave properly when you move and take some last second decisions ? Yes, it can't. AI doesn't respect your trajectory (when behind you) even though it's obvious that you have to take that trajectory as it's the best one. Nope, AI will bump into you and push you away from the track.

Ai will never change its trajectory taking your in account. When you are the one behind, ok, it's fair but when you are the one in front and the AI car is licking your ass, the AI has to drive clean and break if it cannot pass you without any collision risk.

Only way to have a proper race ? To play with an AI that is way lower than your driving level. Players that outplay AI 110 are players that for exemple have a 1:02.xxx hot lap on Red Bull Ring while the AI at this level is around 1:04.xxx/1:05.xxx.

It's broken and it was exactly the same 10 years ago.

Is there any difference between PC and Console AI ?

PS : never had any problem driving against either high level kart driver nor low level drivers in the same race. Never had any crash or trajectory problem. When i know i was in a good position to overtake without "blocking" the opponent, i overtake and keep my line, when i know i'm not in a good position to do it (not enough speed or needing to force it in a corner), i don't overtake, i stay behind and wait the next occasion to do it properly...

The thing is, Ai is Ai, unless the technology as a whole evolve or else they'll never behave exactly like humans.

I used Extreme Damage Mod so I know the AI are especially stupid when they run into stationary cars, but that's pretty much about it. To be honest, the game wasn't designed and didn't intend to expect you to just stop your car in the middle of the track anyways. 

Though, I hardly ever had any issue with AI overtaking me. To me, it seems more like you didn't leave them enough space like you would when against human (I used to be like that too). I have more problem with them not being aggressive enough, they were too nice and just back out when I was barely squeezing them when defending. Sometime they overshot their braking too, so I anticipate them like human and adjust my line accordingly which worked very well.

Speaking of straight line speed:

• Were you using a Honda engine? In your first season?
  • How far were you in your engine R&D?
  • Were you actively playing with fuel-mix like you're suppose to?
  • Was your engine overheating?
  • Components wore-out?
  • KERS running out?
  • or didn't get a good corner exit?
  • Too much fuel to weight your car down?
  • Chassis too heavy?
  • Didn't upgrade drag reduction?
  • Running too much downforce?

There're so many things that could affect this. I had these problems too when I first started out the game, but I figured it's heavily impacted by you R&D and your familiarity of the system, because the issue eventually just disappeared when my progression actually caught up with them. 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 2

Well.... 

Settings on PS4:

100% Race, full practice, full qualif, full damage, 90 AI difficulty, no assists (wheel controller)

So I notice plenty of AI driving mistakes(especially when the wear on the tyres is growing), and from the moment I found my suitable difficulty level, I’m just enjoying the absolute realism on this brilliant  game. 

Tottaly agree ndrst. 

ps . excuse my English 

I agree with the OP. I think the racing in this game is sensational, such good fun.

I'd definitely like to see a few more AI mistakes / crashes, but for pure racing fun, this is the most fun I've ever had in a racing game against AI.