Forum Championship League | BELGIAN GP 22/01/2021 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | 1.15 PATCH NOW LIVE Read more... ×

Why are there sponsors missing on some cars and tracks?

Sponsors are missing on cars and tracks. Like the Mclaren has no sponsor. And the Dutch GP is called as the “Heineken Dutch Grand Prix”, but there are no Heineken sponsors around the track. 

Now people are gonna say: “because of the PEGI 3......” well..... Fifa games has PEGI 3 too but has beer brands as shirts sponsors too in the game. So why not in F1 games???

Edited by RemWal96

FIFA games are made by EA, a big company, in partnership with FIFA, so all the licensing fees can be paid. On ther other hand, F1 games are made by Codemasters, a much smaller company, in partnership with the FIA, so CM may not be able to pay the licensing fees.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TurkeySloth2107 said:

FIFA games are made by EA, a big company, in partnership with FIFA, so all the licensing fees can be paid. On ther other hand, F1 games are made by Codemasters, a much smaller company, in partnership with the FIA, so CM may not be able to pay the licensing fees.

Surely the advertisers would want their adverts in the game? Just thinking they wouldn't be the ones charging here - if anything Codemasters would? 

The structure's probably something like CM (master)>FIA (sub)>advertiser since CM licenses F1 and F2 content from FIA for the games. There are royalties involved as well, not just licensing fees. My guess is CM pay some percentage of each game sale to FIA, who then pay out to the drivers.

Logic would suggest its down to the products targeting an inappropriate age group in relation to some of the ages of people purchasing the game.

Whilst McLaren have many different sponsors in the same position on the car, i believe one of the early sponsors Velo is linked to tobacco.

Heineken is obviously an alcoholic drink which despite popular opinion is not a drink for minors.

My guess is codemasters or F1 have taken the decision themselves not to advertise these type of products on this game.

Let's face it, minors playing on a game surrounded by advertising for alcohol is not great for F1's image.

In terms of McLarens livery though they can always place the better technology logo in that sponsor area that was there at one point.

In the preview build the Heineken sponsors were there at zandvoort now they're not. If you look at codemasters YouTube channel you can see in the zandvoort hotlap. I'm confused as to why they've got rid of them after adding them initially... Also to avoid the pegi rating thing, they used the slogan "when you drive never drink" instead of actual Heineken logos.

Edited by Bobob4567

Children watching real GPs see all the advertising. Is it really so different for it to be in the game?

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Children watching real GPs see all the advertising. Is it really so different for it to be in the game?

You could see why F1 ( if it was their decision)  see a difference between the two.

Gambling / Tobacco / Alcohol advertising are forms of big revenue within many sports that either grow the sport or contribute to the running costs of many teams / clubs etc. 

However from a gaming perspective, would F1 want to potentially damage their brand if suddenly it got highlighted that tobacco and alcohol adverts were in games specifically aimed at minors. It's a bit of a risk for F1 just for the sake of realism.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, SIMRACER123 said:

You could see why F1 ( if it was their decision)  see a difference between the two.

Gambling / Tobacco / Alcohol advertising are forms of big revenue within many sports that either grow the sport or contribute to the running costs of many teams / clubs etc. 

However from a gaming perspective, would F1 want to potentially damage their brand if suddenly it got highlighted that tobacco and alcohol adverts were in games specifically aimed at minors. It's a bit of a risk for F1 just for the sake of realism.

Are the F1 games 'specifically aimed at minors' though? I'm not convinced they are.

27 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Are the F1 games 'specifically aimed at minors' though? I'm not convinced they are.

It comes down to rating systems.

If you have alcohol-related sponsors, you likely won't get the 'E for Everyone' rating which limits how you can sell the game. It may not be targeted specifically to minors, but it's similar why movies fight or change things in the movies to not get a PG-13 or 'R' rating. By losing the 'E' rating, you can limit sales while not having much more upside in sales.

Edited by boojar4
  • Agree 1

Wanting to see advertisements from real companies in a virtual environment is some 'end-stage capitalism' stuff.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Blent said:

Wanting to see advertisements from real companies in a virtual environment is some 'end-stage capitalism' stuff.

It's about realism. Also, adding advertising boards for Heineken or Rolex is not going to increase the chances of me buying their products from zero.

Edited by Ultra3142

1 hour ago, JoanimaterF1 2020 GP said:

Cause there are restrictions, if they put alcohol or tobacco sponsors, it would be pegi 18

Argh. I'd pay extra for F1 2020 Adult Edition.😋