A complete newbie (PS4)

Posted (edited)

Hi community, im thinking about getting the game for PS4 and ive been trying to find out about the F1 community and the game. i havent played an F1 game since i was a kid so i havent a clue on what to expect. Ive tried to watch youtube vidoes to se what features and game modes are available but i cant seem to find a video that help me out. so my questions are; how well is the online mode on F1? are there ranked matches or leagues which you can enter into? or is it just a quick online match where your racing record isnt something to worry about? 

If anyone takes there time out to reply then much appreciated in advance!

Edited by KieranG92

Posted (edited)

Hi @KieranG92. The online mode in F1 2020 has a few different sections. First off in order to get a skill rating and a safety rating you must complete 5 ranked races. This rating goes on your Super License and is used to match you against other opponents of similar rank in all ranked races. There is a section specifically for Ranked races. In this section. You will race in 5 lap races or 25% races, your choice. If you do poorly however, you're skill rating will drop. If you crash into others and get penalties your safety rating will drop. If you do well the opposite happens. Beware though, people online can be very aggressive. There is also an unranked section where none of the above mentioned matters. You can simply pick and choose or create what track, race you'd like to do. This is where you can go to race against others and not worry about rank or safety rating. If you crash it doesn't matter. Penalties... who cares. It's a bit of a free for all, but entertaining and can be amusing. Another section in the online play are leagues. You can join other players in scheduled races that can be once a week at a certain time etc.. for this you have an attendance rating on your Super License. It starts at A. If you join a league and don't show up to races, it will drop down lower and lower. D is the Lowest. It just looks ugly and doesn't really affect anything. Finally you have my Favorite. Weekly Events. These are comprised of a practice session, a qualifying session and a 25% race. This is a Global Competition where you are placed on a Global Leaderboard. You compete against others to see where you stack up in the Entire World. It averages 10,000 players a week. There are also Featured Events when there is not a Weekly Grand Prix. These are also my Favorite. These are race scenarios that you have to pass and you get a score if you pass them. For Example, you could be Max Verstappen and at Canada you begin the race with 8 laps to go and are in P8. You have to finish the race in P1. This is done against the AI. You choose the difficulty. You're score reflects the difficulty chosen.the higher the AI setting the higher the score. I tried to best kinda sum up on here as I didn't want to write a novel. You can find more information on these sections in game using the help section if you purchase it. I think if you do, you won't regret it. It's addicting, in a good way.

Also PS4 user

Edited by Mike5500
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello KieranG92. Welcome to the forums and I hope that you have a great Codies F1 gaming experience. I'm fairly new to the game. I'm playing the 2019 game so can't offer much in the way of advice apart from enjoy the journey.

Also want to take this opportunity to thank Mike5500 for his reply. Some great info there that I reckon is relevant to me to on F1 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Mike5500. Thanks for your reply and taking time out to go in a little depth to the features that the F1 game offers. This is the exact response i was looking for and has helped a lot. i think im swaying towards buying it now you have explained the features. 

• Agree 1

Absolutely get it! I’m not a huge racing game fan, but I’ve just become addicted to F1. The multiplayer is definitely fun, and I spend most of that time doing unranked. But the myTeam mode that they added with 2020 is a great spin on the driver career. It lets you manage your own team, overseeing finances, driver contracts, facility upgrades, sponsorships and the like, and it’s a super fun way to practice and learn what controls work for you and how to drive each track. Then you can take all that to multiplayer and continue enjoying the game.