F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Acceleration out of Corners

Long time player, first time forum contrubutor.

Overall enjoying the game, I play 100% race & AI difficulty.  Things that annoyed me last year (spinning off curbs, AI not yielding) have improved dramatically imo.

One thing that's I find strange though, and was wondering if it's my bad driving or not, is that im races the AI has much better acceleration out of corners than I do.  I can be 0.5s behind going in and by the time we get out of the corner and away they're 1.2-1.4s.

I tought that it was maybe just in my team and having a slower car, but in trying with Merc to Renault it is the same, and is causing me to be about 1.5-2s slower per lap in races in comparrison to equal performing cars, and obviously has an effect on quali laps too.

Any one else experience this?

14 minutes ago, TheJock83 said:

Overall enjoying the game, I play 100% race & AI difficulty.  Things that annoyed me last year (spinning off curbs, AI not yielding) have improved dramatically imo.

One thing that's I find strange though, and was wondering if it's my bad driving or not, is that im races the AI has much better acceleration out of corners than I do.  I can be 0.5s behind going in and by the time we get out of the corner and away they're 1.2-1.4s.

I tought that it was maybe just in my team and having a slower car, but in trying with Merc to Renault it is the same, and is causing me to be about 1.5-2s slower per lap in races in comparrison to equal performing cars, and obviously has an effect on quali laps too.

You put the power down to late 

Setup, assists and obviously apex speed could all be factors?

Could be many things. Your line through to corner doesn't allow you to get on the throttle fast enough. If you don't use assist maybe your throttle management is not the best and you get a lot of wheel spin. Short shifting helps. Better setup.

52 minutes ago, TheJock83 said:

Yes they do have better acceleration and better straight line speed. The acceleration is clearly there in high difficulty levels. And the straight line speed is due to the fact that they run low downforce without having to compromise. However it depends on the track. At Austria out of turn 3 the user gets better traction. In low grip aspshals the AI is advantaged cause they seem to be less affected...

• Agree 1

Dirty air is actually a thing this year and the scenario you're describing looks like the exact picture of dirty air severely impacting your downforce when cornering. What I've seen so far is drivers adjusting their racing line as to not be aligned with the front car when turning.

There was some discussion on the subject on the pinned handling AMA in this forum I think.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sirio994 said:

Yes they do have better acceleration and better straight line speed. The acceleration is clearly there in high difficulty levels. And the straight line speed is due to the fact that they run low downforce without having to compromise. However it depends on the track. At Austria out of turn 3 the user gets better traction. In low grip aspshals the AI is advantaged cause they seem to be less affected...

I'm not noticing straight line speed being a problem for me ie in the straight at Vietnam I'm comfortably able to close in 0.3. - 0.6s without DRS, but in the corner leading to the straight losing double that time by the time I'm up to full power.

20 hours ago, marioho said:

Dirty air is actually a thing this year and the scenario you're describing looks like the exact picture of dirty air severely impacting your downforce when cornering. What I've seen so far is drivers adjusting their racing line as to not be aligned with the front car when turning.

There was some discussion on the subject on the pinned handling AMA in this forum I think.

It's a fair point, except this doesn't affect A.I following each other or when they follow you

Posted (edited)

I think it has more to do with your own performance than it has to do with the AI being to fast. I'm not saying you are not good, or even that you should lower your difficulty, just that you have to find the reason that explains why the AI is faster out of corners. I think a good place to start is to determine if your lap times are similar to that of your rivals. If you are just as fast as your teammate or a rival car, but they still gain much time in accelerating, you probably just need to find a way to put the power down earlier.

Is traction control on full? Than you should be able to just slam the throttle. If you're still losing time, it means that it takes you too long before you apply throttle. Exit speed is all about how you brake, where your car is positioned and how you exit the corner in terms of the line you follow. The trick lies in using as much track as possible. Go to the edge of the track before you brake, try to turn in as late as possible and be ready to input throttle as soon as the car is rotated. Are you drifting wide? This means you should rotate the car more before applying throttle. Are you in the middle of the track when coming out of a corner? That means you aren't applying throttle soon enough. You should touch the outside line of a corner on exit, even going over the curbs with two wheels if they are present at the corner.

Ideal-Racing-Line.jpg

If you follow the green line on this image, you would hit the apex (inside of the corner) quite early, but your exit line is compromised. Modern F1 cars don't rotate very easily and that's why you see drivers talking about late apexes. The red apex is the late apex. You lose a bit of time on corner entry, because the green line turns in earlier and reaches the green apex earlier, while the red line is staying close to the outside of the track, taking a longer line and more time to hit the apex. But the answer lies in the exit speed. Because the green line hits the apex soon, he has to turn the car quite a bit and you can only really accelerate once the car is in a straight line. The red line utilizes this fact in full. The wide turn opens the corner on the exit and gives the driver the opportunity to apply the throttle where the green line is still rotating and waiting for the moment to apply throttle input and thus the green line loses much more time throughout the whole corner. The red car can start applying throttle on the green apex, while the green line has to get past the red apex before it is fully turned and able to slam the throttle. Slow in, fast out.

Medium traction? You should slowly add more pressure on the throttle to get the best traction and speed out of the corner. Spinning isn't the biggest risk, losing time is. Try shifting up earlier if you experience to much wheel spin and use manual gears.

Traction control off? You should be even more careful with applying throttle pressure, cause a bit to much input would cause a spin. Which would ultimately cost you even more time of course. Short shifting (shifting earlier than you would normally do) helps a lot with maintaining traction.

Just look at the picture below for the ideal racing lines on different types of corners.

BestLine.png

Edited by Falstojudilofa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/20/2020 at 4:32 PM, marioho said:

Yeah, but the problem I'm having is that if I'm behind they shoot away, and if I'm in front they shoot right up to my gearbox!

Just had 2 races since 1.05, Holland and Spain, and have to say I've noticed this problem I had seems to have dissapeared.

Now able to hold off and pull away from AI and close down after being overtaken.

I appreciate the tips - even though I was 100% sure that 95% of the time it wasn't down to my driving!

Could be car setup? Whats the diff settings, how much PSI are you running in the tyres? Both can heavily impact traction especially out of slow corners.