F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

What makes you like a circuit?

Hey guys! Curious PhD student here!

The scientist within me has been triggered by all the discussions on circuits that I've been seeing around the F1 community lately, and I decided to take action and find out if there's a reason that makes you like or dislike a circuit! Specifically, I want to find out if there's a correlation between your gaming equipment and the circuits you like!

I've prepared a very very short form, it just asks what you're playing with and how much you like circuits! Please give me a hand and fill it out!

https://forms.gle/iAUTQwXrFVCjZcjy7

PS: I am not affiliate with Codemasters or any otehr gaming company, I am a scholar and this research is my own work!

• Like 1

Do i get paid for this one? 😂 I normally get paid for answering surveys !

• Haha 1

There seems to be some issues with the survey form. Some values are unable to be selected. For example, on Azerbaijan and Spain, you can't select 6 and on Monaco you can't select 5.

Screenshot_20200720-144025.png

6 minutes ago, FreeFly90 said:

Specifically, I want to find out if there's a correlation between your gaming equipment and the circuits you like!

I think there definitely is, for me at least. I have a lot of experience with both wheel and controller and I gotta say that tracks with fast changes of direction are a pain on controller. Melbourne's chicane for example. I hate it on controller while on wheel it's one of the best parts on the whole calendar.

Maybe that's the reason I hate Hanoi as well because I'm currently on controller and the last sector is not the best for it but I think I'd enjoy it a lot with a wheel. It's also hard to put the power down before the both straights.

But in general, I like tracks with variety of corners. Baku for example feels like there are only 90 degree turns with a huge straight at the end. It even sounds boring on paper. Russia as well, every turn feels the same in first 2 sectors. Then you have tracks like China which has something unique (turn 1 and 2), fast corners, long straight, hairpin, basically it has everything and every corner feels different. 

2 hours ago, CarloLewis said:

There seems to be some issues with the survey form. Some values are unable to be selected. For example, on Azerbaijan and Spain, you can't select 6 and on Monaco you can't select 5.

Report a bug please 😜

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, CarloLewis said:

There is an issue with Google Forms apparently. I've been trying to reproduce the problem for two days and it has never happened to me, neither on PC nor on mobile. On my side, I checked like a 100 times and there is nothing limiting the survey in any way. But thanks for letting me know!

2 hours ago, Zviko said:

I think there definitely is, for me at least. I have a lot of experience with both wheel and controller and I gotta say that tracks with fast changes of direction are a pain on controller. Melbourne's chicane for example. I hate it on controller while on wheel it's one of the best parts on the whole calendar.

Maybe that's the reason I hate Hanoi as well because I'm currently on controller and the last sector is not the best for it but I think I'd enjoy it a lot with a wheel. It's also hard to put the power down before the both straights.

But in general, I like tracks with variety of corners. Baku for example feels like there are only 90 degree turns with a huge straight at the end. It even sounds boring on paper. Russia as well, every turn feels the same in first 2 sectors. Then you have tracks like China which has something unique (turn 1 and 2), fast corners, long straight, hairpin, basically it has everything and every corner feels different. 

Yep, that's more or less what I was thinking, even though I think there are a few exceptions. I am expecting street circuits (especially Monaco and Hanoi) to be hated by people who play with a controller, while fast tracks such as Monza or Austria, that don't present many challenges (in comparison, of course), to be disliked (not hated) by people with a wheel.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like I should've included a question on people's average result per track. There are a few circuits (like Baku) where AI doesn't perform well, and it's rather easy to win with a controller, if you don't make too many mistakes. I remember winning with AI at 90 on my first season with Renault in F1 2018, while in Australia I only finished 13, and I love Australia.

I don't know, I can't make a prediction, but this is exciting! 😄

2 hours ago, SIMRACER123 said:

Do i get paid for this one? 😂 I normally get paid for answering surveys !

Then I want your job, I don't even get paid to process the data! :'D

I hope many will take part. Will be interesting to see the results if the sample size is big enough. Thanks for putting it together.

Ooh whats your Phd topic? I'm a scientist myself but my field is paleontology.:classic_biggrin:

50 minutes ago, KittyFit90 said:

Ooh whats your Phd topic? I'm a scientist myself but my field is paleontology.:classic_biggrin:

Ross Geller is between us!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Finochio said:

Ross Geller is between us!

Haha I had to look that up! I'm too young for that show:classic_tongue:

For me has to be fast and flowing corners with some variations - Barring the tight left hander on to the 2nd DRS Zone, Zandvoort is amazing to drive, though it could be the "new" circuit novelty. Interlagos has the same feel even with the slow 3 corners in the middle sector. Add Silverstone, Spa, Bahrain and China to that list too. Sochi isn't too bad. On paper Budapest should be horrible but is very rewarding when you hook up a nice lap.

Abu Dhabi maybe the least exciting when incorporating long straights, horrible traction zones, boring 90 degree corners, the only fun part is the first sector which then leads in to a crappy chicane anyway. 

• Agree 1

Tried to fill it in but got bored sorry! Too fiddly to scroll back and forth all the time on mobile without header rows.

Filled it all in for hot-lapping then lost patience when i realised i needed to do it all again for racing when my answers would have been exactly the same! It’s just down to how much i enjoy the circuit doesn't matter whether its hotlap or race to me.

Anyway short version is that Hungary and Monaco are favourites, while Canada and France my least favourite.  I’m on a wheel, nothing to do with performance or anything just whether i enjoy the circuit.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Hiya 

You don't need a  survey to tell anyone what they like and what makes a great circuit  hehe although it does help .

A free flowing track without the silly 20mph chicane .

We have tracks like Monaco which are brilliant but low to med speed. But you don't want many of these tracks as its a one off race once a year.

The original Silverstone track from the  sixties was a fast free flowing track made for RACE CARS .

Imola was a brilliant track until they changed it with the silly chicanes .

Watkins Glenn another great free flowing track. 

Japanese track suzuka is another great example and the chicane actually worked 👍

A race car is made to go fast and has the downforce to handle med to high speed corners  

I thought I would like the new Vietnam track but it has 2 really silly slow speed corners that ruin the whole track. 

I thought on paper I would like Vietnam but nope  

Now Baku is a fabulous track 

Zandvort just don't feel right on f12020. It should be free flowing but its horrible 

Compare that to ACC Zandvort track and it feels amazing and its a joy just to run hundreds of practice laps.  

We know f1 cars have got quicker thru corners but they have gone over the top with some dreadful Hermann tielk tracks.   

Making tracks safe is good but making them over safe is boring 😴

You even hear the current and past F1 driver's complain

Edited by senna94f1

Canada for me. Have always loved it. Not sure why, it just flows for me and is fairly short. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, janbonator said:

I hope many will take part. Will be interesting to see the results if the sample size is big enough. Thanks for putting it together. 

Thank you so much everyone, I got to 130 responses and still counting! 🙂 I'll share the data as soon as people stop answering!

13 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

I'm working on Human-Computer interaction, with a focus on people's adaptation to Virtual Environments! I've been working on non-standard button schemes lately, I wanted to test players' adaptation to VR, but after COVID it's almost impossible to bring people to a lab and gather enough data unfortunately and I had to move to Controllers' interaction.

6 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Tried to fill it in but got bored sorry! Too fiddly to scroll back and forth all the time on mobile without header rows.

Filled it all in for hot-lapping then lost patience when i realised i needed to do it all again for racing when my answers would have been exactly the same! It’s just down to how much i enjoy the circuit doesn't matter whether its hotlap or race to me.

Anyway short version is that Hungary and Monaco are favourites, while Canada and France my least favourite.  I’m on a wheel, nothing to do with performance or anything just whether i enjoy the circuit.

Thanks anyway! Google Forms are really really bad on mobile, I should've used a different form in hindsight.

1 hour ago, Reth316 said:

Canada for me. Have always loved it. Not sure why, it just flows for me and is fairly short. 

Canada is one of my favourite circuits, together with Australia, even though I couldn't explain why I like them. I just love racing there, and they aren't even the circuit I drive best on.

• Agree 1

I'm not good at Canada either but I do adore it as a circuit. I tend to lost time on the opening couple of turns and the hairpin, I can nail them but not consistently on exit. 

turns 3/4 with the wall ever ready to collect your front right is thrilling to get right. 

I run first at Monza a lot in a Ferrari, I run 6/7 at Canada and it's always a scrap for that position. 

Fabulous track and you'd never guess, head down staring ahead, that the whole thing is an island. 

There are only a few tracks I haven't driven yet or have very little experience with in this game. Singapore and Russia are the two I haven't really raced much, if at all. I absolutely HATE Hanoi Circuit. From a hotlapping/qualifying aspect, I just don't like how almost every corner on that track has a late or early apex. It makes keeping a consistent run extremely difficult, even once you think you know the track after sufficient practice.

From a race standpoint, the AI is absolutely bonkers on that track. I've raced in almost every other track and never had as much trouble racing the AI on them as I had with Hanoi. I am on a Xbox One Elite v2 Gamepad (no custom profile loaded). I can do well on every other track and really enjoy it. 

The Vietnam GP had me wanting to throw BABIES at my monitor I was so frustrated! LOL! My most favorite tracks are Albert Park, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Autòdromo José Carlos Pace and Yas Marina. 

Hey guys!

I'm sorry if it took me a few weeks to get back to you, but I had a lot on my plate and I wanted to make sure the data was polished and easy to present before sharing it.

So far I downloaded the whole raw data, polished it, made it easier to parse, and created different graphs dividing it by either console or interaction methods. Results are preliminary of course, as I have not looked for any statistical correlation yet (that's something I'll have to save for peer review journals I'm afraid, at least for now), but I can see a patter that emerges even in these early stages.

As I expected, Monaco and Vietnam are the most disliked circuits, both for hotlapping and racing. However, if I filter the data by interaction method, people with a high-end racing rig seem to like them more, especially when hotlapping.

On the contrary, circuits like Bahrain seem to appeal more to people with a controller, especially when racing.

I suspect that the results people have when racing can somehow influence their views on tracks, and it is no mistery that driving on circuits like Austria or Bahrain is easier against AI, especially with a controller.

If you want to dig into the data yourself, you can download it here:

https://mega.nz/file/9NAiHYjJ#bXpLl1TNekxKVy0rBLiLcXtEbW71gZvRukuiVq8yF54

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@FreeFly90 For some reason my 7-Zip doesn't open the .rar file. It says "cannot open as archive". Never seen this before - any ideas?

2 hours ago, janbonator said:

@FreeFly90 For some reason my 7-Zip doesn't open the .rar file. It says "cannot open as archive". Never seen this before - any ideas?

Honestly no, I have no idea, I haven't used 7-Zip in a while. I re-uploaded the data in .zip format as well, hope this solves the problem 🙂

https://mega.nz/file/wJBiTaqI#zncumJTjcis6EVVrP6qBiBmrAu6lKyMyZnLkREfE3Gw

Please let me know if it works!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FreeFly90 said:

Honestly no, I have no idea, I haven't used 7-Zip in a while. I re-uploaded the data in .zip format as well, hope this solves the problem 🙂

https://mega.nz/file/wJBiTaqI#zncumJTjcis6EVVrP6qBiBmrAu6lKyMyZnLkREfE3Gw

Please let me know if it works!

Thanks, it worked perfect! Interesting data, I appreciate you doing and sharing this.

I noticed that according to the survey (though limited in numbers), pad players like China and France more than wheel users, while the latter clearly enjoy Singapore and Japan more.