F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

No more weaving on formation laps and no more colored smoke planes on race day?

Silliest of topics but I had to ask. 

1. Formation laps. Is it by design that the AI doesn't weave to heat their tyres anymore?
  2. Race day kerfuffle. That opening cutscene varies, but I've noticed that when the acrobatic planes fly by they don't have a trail of colored smoke anymore. Is it by design? 

Because if those are indeed bugs I demand a fix before any Ferrari nerf and My Team breaking glitches. Priorities, people. 

• Haha 8
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, marioho said:

1. Formation laps. Is it by design that the AI doesn't weave to heat their tyres anymore?
  2. Race day kerfuffle. That opening cutscene varies, but I've noticed that when the acrobatic planes fly by they don't have a trail of colored smoke anymore. Is it by design? 

Because if those are indeed bugs I demand a fix before any Ferrari nerf and My Team breaking glitches. Priorities, people. 

Don't forget we need official kerb colours too

• Haha 4
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, marioho said:

Just finished my first F2 race in my career mode and during a safety car I noticed no one was weaving. So it seems it's happening even under yellow flag and not only in F1 races.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, viniciusrsouza said:

Just finished my first F2 race in my career mode and during a safety car I noticed no one was weaving. So it seems it's happening even under yellow flag and not only in F1 races.

They have implemented Raikkonen's AI for everyone during formation lap and SC. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 7

Was just going to post about the weaving in formation and under safety car.  I would think it should be classed as a bug because if I don't weave my tyres get cold and this obviously isn't the case for AI.

On 7/21/2020 at 8:35 AM, TheJock83 said:

Was just going to post about the weaving in formation and under safety car.  I would think it should be classed as a bug because if I don't weave my tyres get cold and this obviously isn't the case for AI.

Just another realistic thing they removed from the game. 

The other one is team members celebrating in the fence during the checkered flag when you finish the race. 

• Agree 2

On 7/21/2020 at 6:43 AM, marioho said:

This is game breaking! I can't play career because of this! 

On the topic of race day I'm personally not a fan of seeing and hearing the planes at every race. 

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2020 at 6:43 AM, marioho said:

We still need that in qualifying when you do a slower sector than earlier in the session it becomes yellow instead or red

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2020 at 8:43 AM, marioho said:

The aero performance of the acrobatic planes is off and needs to be fixed. Their loop takes 0.3 seconds more than IRL. I think CM is just trying to cover up this major oversight by hiding the coloured smoke.

Besides, the AI cars are weaving - socks. One needs to have warm feet on a warm-up lap.

Edited by janbonator

I know the temptation is to dismiss complaints like this as not affecting the core gameplay but all of these little touches and details add to the overall experience, it is an F1 game, not just a racing sim experience, but an immersive recreation of the real thing, so all of these small moments count as well. 

For the hardcore audience, of course we've seen all of these things on repeat, but for newcomers or more casual fans of the sport / series, these things do make a difference, and personally I do enjoy them. 

Of course nothing should come before the core elements of the game, the on track and surrounding (setups, sessions, assists etc) details, but when you've played these games for a while you notice when there's less elsewhere. 

Why have commentary intros for practice and qualy been removed for example? I can tell you that I'm still finishing a 2019 championship and commentary, even on race days on 2020, is lacking a fair few lines, especially ones specific to tracks, and repeats almost immediately.

These may not be the main reasons why those who take to post here boot up the game, but they shouldn't be neglected or even removed to create what in the end is a lesser experience than we've had before. 

• Agree 6

3 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

I know the temptation is to dismiss complaints like this as not affecting the core gameplay but all of these little touches and details add to the overall experience, it is an F1 game, not just a racing sim experience, but an immersive recreation of the real thing, so all of these small moments count as well. 

For the hardcore audience, of course we've seen all of these things on repeat, but for newcomers or more casual fans of the sport / series, these things do make a difference, and personally I do enjoy them. 

Of course nothing should come before the core elements of the game, the on track and surrounding (setups, sessions, assists etc) details, but when you've played these games for a while you notice when there's less elsewhere. 

Why have commentary intros for practice and qualy been removed for example? I can tell you that I'm still finishing a 2019 championship and commentary, even on race days on 2020, is lacking a fair few lines, especially ones specific to tracks, and repeats almost immediately.

These may not be the main reasons why those who take to post here boot up the game, but they shouldn't be neglected or even removed to create what in the end is a lesser experience than we've had before. 

I have a major issue with this as well and the lack of commentary give me a beta/unfinished feel which is extremely disappointing. I don’t feel any race weekend immersion and 2020 is a major step backwards in that regard imo. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

Spot on mate. There are far too many smaller things missing which ruin immersion. CM need to life their game hugely. So many things like this need to be improved/added/tweaked.

• Agree 2

On 7/26/2020 at 10:27 AM, viniciusrsouza said:

Just another realistic thing they removed from the game. 

The other one is team members celebrating in the fence during the checkered flag when you finish the race. 

Just correcting myself, there are team members celebrating during checkered flag. Not sure if only now latest updates or if I couldn't notice them before. I had to save a clip in Xbox One X and slowly watch it to find them.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:28 AM, KNT2011 said:

The lack of commentaries in Practice 1 and Qualifying is an extreme downgrade. Insanely upsetting. 

14 minutes ago, viniciusrsouza said:

Just correcting myself, there are team members celebrating during checkered flag. Not sure if only now latest updates or if I couldn't notice them before. I had to save a clip in Xbox One X and slowly watch it to find them.

The lack of commentaries in Practice 1 and Qualifying is an extreme downgrade. Insanely upsetting. 

Insanely upsetting? Isn't that a slight exaggeration? 

• Disagree 1

Just now, amazingblaze said:

Insanely upsetting? Isn't that a slight exaggeration? 

Maybe not for those who are used to desperately press buttons in every game to start playing immediately, but I enjoy watching cinematics and commentaries even in my FIFA career mode or other sports games. So, like for others here, I'm sure it's insanely upsetting, MAINLY because we already had it in latest editions. So part of this is about the evident downgrade.

Anyway, It's just a little bit of immersion for us, nowadays a minority in gaming entertainment, where it's all cartoon colorful graphics and "run and shooting" is all about.

Haha I suggest you take a stroll over Hanoi's starting straight on race day then!

Joking aside, that didn't blip on my radar. I'll keep my ears on attention next time I boot the game.

• Like 1

Is that really the case, removal by design, or is that a "pathetic effort" at a jab from your part?

Semi-genuine question.

By design? They probs just forgot to add it back in lul. Hence the term 'pathetic'

If they’d planned to put it back in, it was a low-priority item because of all the game breakers that existed at the time. So, shut up and let them put it back in at their own pace, if they want to.

19 minutes ago, TurkeySloth2107 said:

So, shut up and let them put it back in at their own pace, if they want to.

Come again? What's the reason for this?

@viniciusrsouza the staff acknowledged the issue in a later topic. The fix will come, I'm sure. These things are all debugged by the same staff, with different priorities assigned to different tasks and a schedule of patches probably set weeks in advance. They'll slot it in eventually.

If formation lap doesn't actually affect AI's car performance, they should make their weaving much more intense like in real life for improving immersion. I watched some league racing on Youtube and saw all the players weaving very hard in safety car situation to keep their tires warm, it made the supposedly boring lap looked so intense I love it, really wish it's like that with the AI.

Sadly it seems to be missing entirely for some odd reason (I noticed sometimes they weave a little under safety car situation, but it was rare). 

Edited by DRTApophis

@DRTApophis they used to weave on F1 2019 regularly so I have no idea what happened. It will be fixed though, so there's that.

Off topic but I love weaving. I remember watching a clip on Reddit of a user on an online racing trying to weave with a vengeance. He would swerve so violently, thrashing from one side of the track to the other, but doing a poor job at it. Then he takes a bend and is "surprised" by the safety car just to ram it with all his might.

• Haha 1