F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

Difficulty

It's not my meaning. I think many people think way to complicated. In my opinion take a starting point and start practice for a race weekend. There you can see if you have to make big adjustments compared to your teammate and team position.

I don't care so much about wrong difficulty over a season. There are races you are better and races you are worse. Sometimes it depends on AI performance on the track and sometimes on your own preferences. I always start Melbourne around 85 difficulty. My car is second worst in the grid. If i beat my teammate and i am way ahead of Williams i turn the difficulty up. If i have no chance to follow Williams i turn it down.

Sometimes you'll get personally better over a season and you can turn up the difficulty step by step.

24 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

Sorry explain this again please ?

So I go to GP mode, select the Mercedes and Bottas as my driver. Hamilton being the best driver and in the same equipment is the yard stick.

I then only do the qualifying sessions at each GP, say at AI 80. If I am within a tenth of him I go to the next track. If not I change the AI and redo the session until I am within a tenth. I record the AI number at each track.

The average of all those AI values is the number I use for the season. I figure my team mate may be a lot slower than me, but I am using Hamilton as my measure for how fast I should be (since I am at least as good as he is right?). That means some tracks I will be slower and others I will be faster. But it should average out.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Aef251 said:

So I go to GP mode, select the Mercedes and Bottas as my driver. Hamilton being the best driver and in the same equipment is the yard stick.

I then only do the qualifying sessions at each GP, say at AI 80. If I am within a tenth of him I go to the next track. If not I change the AI and redo the session until I am within a tenth. I record the AI number at each track.

The average of all those AI values is the number I use for the season. I figure my team mate may be a lot slower than me, but I am using Hamilton as my measure for how fast I should be (since I am at least as good as he is right?). That means some tracks I will be slower and others I will be faster. But it should average out.

Ok thanks , I might try this idea. Do you do this every season in My team or just go with it ?

Edited by Madmaz116

On 7/21/2020 at 5:45 PM, PJTierney said:

Here's a tip from my YouTube which helps with that. Copied the script below if you want it in text:

Once you have set your baseline, keep an eye on your teammate's pace after every Grand Prix. If you're over a second faster than them, push it up by 10 before the next race.

I found that my test put me at 70 initially, but since I'm quicker around Melbourne I was handily beating my teammate, going to 80 before Bahrain sorted that out nicely.

I've been doing this since F1 2018, works great 🙂 

WOW, you have an amazing YouTube channel!

Kind of whats already been mentioned, but I do my P1 P2 and P3 sessions on a base difficulty (92 for me) so I'm used to driving on that specific track.

I then go on to GP mode and use one shot qualifying as Bottas. I then compare my time to hamilton and adjust difficulty as appropriate and try again until its a very close time, might take 2/3 goes.

Then when go back on to career mode I use that difficultly for that track for qualy and race. Usually works for me and don't remember having many problems with it 

I dont adjust my difficulty using my career performance as the cars for all teams wear down at different rates and also my second driver isn't that good at the moment.

14 hours ago, Alon78 said:

WOW, you have an amazing YouTube channel!

Thank you 🙂 

YouTube is a current hobby of mine but I like to bring in some of my professional experience when I make stuff there.

On the plus-side, things I've learned from my own channel have shown that I can do official videos too; if you saw the Beginner's Guide on the official F1 games channel I made that (with a little help) 🙂 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Thank you 🙂 

YouTube is a current hobby of mine but I like to bring in some of my professional experience when I make stuff there.

On the plus-side, things I've learned from my own channel have shown that I can do official videos too; if you saw the Beginner's Guide on the official F1 games channel I made that (with a little help) 🙂 

@PJTierney i watched some of yours videos,and i like all of them
keep it up 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2020 at 4:45 PM, PJTierney said:

Here's a tip from my YouTube which helps with that. Copied the script below if you want it in text:

All I can think of when I watch that part of the video is: why is there no pre season testing where the game does this for you? Ok I'm not a developer so I might not see this correctly but what I see in that video is all you need to make pre season testing ideally to start of your game like the practice programs.

The process to calibrate your AI might sound easy to perform but I think it is rather complicated looking at the broad audience you want to cater with F1 games. It's not rocket science but I'm struggling already years with AI difficulty and now there is a video with a "simple" process that to my knowledge can even be easily be automated? 

Next year maybe?

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, BelgiumDude said:

All I can think of when I watch that part of the video is: why is there no pre season testing where the game does this for you? Ok I'm not a developer so I might not see this correctly but what I see in that video is all you need to make pre season testing ideally to start of your game like the practice programs.

The process to calibrate your AI might sound easy to perform but I think it is rather complicated looking at the broad audience you want to cater with F1 games. It's not rocket science but I'm struggling already years with AI difficulty and now there is a video with a "simple" process that to my knowledge can even be easily be automated? 

Next year maybe?

This is a pretty interesting idea. 

I wonder if a dynamic difficulty feature could be applied with this, perhaps only for career and optional. Run some laps in the car on one of the more test ready tracks, Catalunya maybe, and the same will set starting difficulty based on the car you're in's performance rating and your lap times? 

NASCAR Heat makes a small attempt to do this but not particularly well tbh as it'll start so low you'll have won a ton of races before it 'dynamically' adjusts. 

yes the video explained the usual workaround, but Barcelona does not set the correct pace for Canada or Austria for example, but for newcomers it is a good point "to start from" now it needs to be explained to newcomers how you make the correct AI level in myTeam ;) as your second driver cannot be the pace.

What about in relation to my team especially when your teammate isn’t on your level?

I'm still working my way through My Team and after a few races I'm now comparing my performance to the team closest to me in the R&D table.

My car should be as good as an AlphaTauri at the moment, so in the next race I'll see what laptimes Kvyat and Gasly are doing 🙂 

also my approach, I compare my car to the Williams & HAAS at the moment, if I am 1 sec faster than Magnussen and company like in Canada I needed to increase

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I'm still working my way through My Team and after a few races I'm now comparing my performance to the team closest to me in the R&D table.

My car should be as good as an AlphaTauri at the moment, so in the next race I'll see what laptimes Kvyat and Gasly are doing 🙂 

I’m 2nd behind Mercedes although on the powertrain table I’m 8th. I’m currently in my 3rd season and have Norris as my teammate. He’s won 3 races so this year. 

Edited by Matty5792

On 7/23/2020 at 12:17 PM, svensenk86 said:

if 90 is your "basic" value you will need to adjust later on, I have the same, just finished Canada where I needed to go to 100 for example to stay realistic, with the worst car in the grid I cannot end up at 10th or better. I did a GP Qualy before with Bottas and was 0.2 behind Hamilton, so 100 was about right. I will post my "90 Basic value" table as soon as I finished the season, if someone is interested 😄

Canada is actually one of my weaker circuits so I might not need to worry there. I’m always bemused when I see people say how the AI is weak there, I always seems to struggle!

I’ve just done the Chinese GP weekend and I was looking pretty pacey in practice (2nd overall in FP3 after doing the quali sim run). So I raised the AI to 92 for qualifying and managed to get 7th, which still seemed a bit high. A changeable race weather wise and managing to be on the right tyres at the right time (and a DNF for Hamilton) promoted me to P6 by the end of the race. However Giovinazzi was 3rd and Kvyat 4th after starting in the bottom six so it was a bit of a crazy one all round really, and not really a good one to compare AI difficulty with.

I’ll start the Dutch GP weekend on 92 now. I don’t really want to lower it again, I upgraded my rig when the new game was released so it could just be getting more used to it, as well as the new car handling, and therefore a bit faster in the game. Maybe I’ll be on of those playing on 100 AI soon. Hopefully!

Posted (edited)

The best way is still to do what you do in Barcelona on EVERY racetrack. In the end there are 22 AI levels on a piece of paper. An AI level for each race track. When you are done with it you have done everything right and you can start your career without experiencing any nasty surprises.

In my 22 tests I developed AI levels between 82 (i look at you Silverstone) and 95 (i look at you Austria) with the standard setup (default 3).
The only exceptions are Monaco and Singapore. I can only drive these tracks with a special setup.

Edited by ndrst
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, ndrst said:

The best way is still to do what you do in Barcelona on EVERY racetrack. In the end there are 22 AI levels on a piece of paper. An AI level for each race track. When you are done with it you have done everything right and you can start your career without experiencing any nasty surprises.

In my 22 tests I developed AI levels between 82 (i look at you Silverstone) and 95 (i look at you Austria) with the standard setup (default 3).
The only exceptions are Monaco and Singapore. I can only drive these tracks with a special setup.

Are you the guy that did it on Reddit by any chance?

Somebody over there set up a website with AI levels for every track at every major difficulty step.

3 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Are you the guy that did it on Reddit by any chance?

Somebody over there set up a website with AI levels for every track at every major difficulty step.

No, but thats sounds interesting. Do you have a link to this website ?

• Agree 1

Austria I had now 101 to be there where i should be,started 18th,finished 18th.

So i guess now in silverstone i have to lower it than 90 when i read through

The test is really good I think. If you want a difficulty level that allows you to be competitive or a bit safe/faster everywhere Catalunya is the track.

Generically you don't want a level that brings you to overdriving. So if you want a single number for the entire season this is a solid way.

Probably a mix of Spain and Australia does the trick. The only misleading thing in the video is about setups and settings. I'd say if you want to use default setups, do the test with them. If you'll use setups from site x, test with them and so on with youtubers...

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Don't think some of those times on the first link are right. I got a 1.23.089 last time on Australia with the myteam career car in season 1 (so its not a good car) but it says 110ai time is 1.23.941 which is wring as on 92 AI pole was getting 1.21 or thereabouts. 

3 hours ago, Ukbordoy said:

Don't think some of those times on the first link are right. I got a 1.23.089 last time on Australia with the myteam career car in season 1 (so its not a good car) but it says 110ai time is 1.23.941 which is wring as on 92 AI pole was getting 1.21 or thereabouts. 

If I understood correctly those times are set by Red Bull 2010 car and you need to quali laps with a Red Bull 2010 and compare.