F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

Difficulty

I am soon to start the "My Team" mode , whats the best way to gauge what difficulty I should be racing at ? Ive always found that hard to gauage , any ideas?

Thanks

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pick a difficulty and run some practise sessions (in my Team mode). Compared to your teammates time and opponent time you can clearly see if your difficulty is to low or to high. For example you are starting as the second worst team and run the first practise session, your best times should be a bit ahead of the worst team times. Try to replicate your best times in accordance to the performance charts.

If you start at Melbourne and you are second worst performance wise but you are ending on 10th place, your difficulty is way to low.

Other way is start a GP, take the Mercedes and try to be near Hamilton with your best time.

Edited by Akkan74
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

I am soon to start the "My Team" mode , whats the best way to gauge what difficulty I should be racing at ? Ive always found that hard to gauage , any ideas?

Thanks

Here's a tip from my YouTube which helps with that. Copied the script below if you want it in text:

The best experiences in F1 2020 come when you're racing wheel-to-wheel with your competitors, battling hard to beat them. Setting your AI difficulty to the right level helps enormously here, ensuring the cars around you are as quick as you'd expect them to be. 

To start, set up a race at Catalunya, a circuit that features every type of corner, and is a good test for the AI and yourself. Use a Short Qualifying session and a 5 lap race for this test. Make sure the weather is set to Clear.

Set your AI difficulty at 50 and proceed to Qualifying. Drive your best in the session, and take note of the times at the end. 

What we're looking for here is the gap between you and your teammate. If you're faster than them, you will need to increase the difficulty level, and if they beat you, you need to decrease it. For every second of a gap between you and your teammate, adjust the difficulty level by 10. 

Back out to the main menu and create the Grand Prix again, this time with your adjusted difficulty level, and run the test once more. Make note of the gap between you and your teammate, and tweak again if necessary, until there's less than a tenth between the two of you. 

After 3 or 4 attempts, you'll have the AI tuned perfectly to your current skill level, leading to exciting racing.

As your skill improves in the coming weeks and months, head back to this test whenever you need to tweak the difficulty. 

Once you have set your baseline, keep an eye on your teammate's pace after every Grand Prix. If you're over a second faster than them, push it up by 10 before the next race.

I found that my test put me at 70 initially, but since I'm quicker around Melbourne I was handily beating my teammate, going to 80 before Bahrain sorted that out nicely.

I've been doing this since F1 2018, works great 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

Agree with everything above about the test - this is the best way to do it.

When you start my team though be aware that your teammate will be trash (as they’re coming from F2). I have my difficulty set “correctly” I believe according to the test outlined above, and it works a treat when racing GP and in career.

It also works in my team in terms of putting me where i expect i should be against other teams so all good, but my teammate is always at least a second a lap down on me and not performing where they should be for the car.

• Like 1

ok just to clarify , is it the overall time in the race Im comparing it to , or qualifying time?

I compared the qualifying times in Grand Prix mode. I have selected Bottas to compare my lap times with Hamilton. Then I have simulated some sessions to check the average lap times. 

My experience is that I have to increase the AI a bit in My Team (1-3 points max). I would propose to check your times on every circuit. It depends on your skills and some tracks are easier.

Best example is Austria (AI ca. 5 points higher compared to other circuits).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

ok just to clarify , is it the overall time in the race Im comparing it to , or qualifying time?

Qualy time.

In races, your Fastest Lap. You could dive deeper and look at average pace, but you don't really need to.

37 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

When you start my team though be aware that your teammate will be trash (as they’re coming from F2)

I have the almighty Jack Aitken as my teammate. I think he has a higher rating than some of the F1 drivers 🙂 [Just checked, higher than Latifi]

When starting My Team I expect my car to be around Williams pace, so if I'm battling around there I know I've got it right. I had a very long battle for 16th at Hanoi over the weekend, felt good 🙂 

• Agree 1

I have Aitken aswell in my Manor reborn career hes very quick I have difficulty at 90 and was suprised how quick he was with a 75 pace rating.

Hes beating me 2 to 1 so far 6 tenths faster in spain although I would have been withi 2 tenths without a mistake.

Still in the race hes kicking my ass big stylem

Posted (edited)

There was a really good video about this from a German Youtuber who did an AI pace test in Japan on July 6th. Here you see the intervals between the AI levels

image.png.bcc4035fff22ed8e0e5acb71d38a5852.png

Edited by Mikulitsi
  • Thanks 2

so this may sound dumb but i havnt played the game just yet , If i do the Ai test as above over time , taking into account what I upgrade, is my car going to be able to compete with the top teams like Mercedes ? or will i always be one step behind ? Im aksing coz Ive found in previous versions in the career mode the way to the top was to do well in the lower teams then you''ll get a contract with a better team, so just wondering,

The top teams are also upgrading their facilities and cars over time, but you can step up to them over time. Some people say it's to fast to start as a backmarker and step up to the top. I don't have played so much up to now, to say if it's well balanced or not. But you will get to the top with your car after some seasons.

I’m currently just starting my 3rd season and won my first race in season 2 in Mexico. Did get on podium a couple of times. Seems a lot harder this year. 

If I put my AI level to my team mate time I cant complete my practice programs.

1 hour ago, Punition said:

If I put my AI level to my team mate time I cant complete my practice programs.

That’s a problem I have too. It has always been in past games that if I setup my difficulty for qualifying and race, that the practice programs become too hard to complete.

Now this year this is also the case, with the difference that I think they tried to fix the problem that the AI were always faster in qualifying than in the race by making the AI faster in the races this year. But it seems to me they overdone it, cause in my MyTeam carrier it’s often the case that I qualify way too high (top 10) and than in the race my lap times are way slower that the AI. Had a GP where I outqualified my teammate by 3 seconds and in the race he was almost 2 seconds a lap faster that me.

To make things worse it seems the AI are very inconsistent from track to track. Like on some tracks I am way too fast for my cars performance and on others I am seconds off pace. I accept that I am better on some tracks than on others, but it shouldn’t be by multiple seconds per lap.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy almost everything about this years game a lot, but I just want to set my difficulty ONCE and have generally realistic results. 

4 minutes ago, nothingEvil said:

That’s a problem I have too. It has always been in past games that if I setup my difficulty for qualifying and race, that the practice programs become too hard to complete.

Now this year this is also the case, with the difference that I think they tried to fix the problem that the AI were always faster in qualifying than in the race by making the AI faster in the races this year. But it seems to me they overdone it, cause in my MyTeam carrier it’s often the case that I qualify way too high (top 10) and than in the race my lap times are way slower that the AI. Had a GP where I outqualified my teammate by 3 seconds and in the race he was almost 2 seconds a lap faster that me.

To make things worse it seems the AI are very inconsistent from track to track. Like on some tracks I am way too fast for my cars performance and on others I am seconds off pace. I accept that I am better on some tracks than on others, but it shouldn’t be by multiple seconds per lap.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy almost everything about this years game a lot, but I just want to set my difficulty ONCE and have generally realistic results. 

Totally agree about the inconsistency of the AI. some tracks im not good on or I just don’t like them like Monaco, baku, Vietnam and Singapore but I just want to set it to a difficulty and leave it not move it up and down all the time. 

SomImgo to Grand Prix mode and drive as Bottas just doing the qualifying. When I have the AI around a tenth of Hamilton I go to the next race and so on. I then take the average AI and start my career. I’ll have fastband slow tracks but it evens out.

I’ve got the AI on 90 at the moment. I qualified 13th in Vietnam in sunshine and then finished 15th in a race that rained from start to finish. Which seemed about right. I wouldn’t expect to be much higher up the order, and my quali and race positions were quite similar.

Ive alwaya struggled for race pace in the f1 games over the last few years and almost always knock it down by 5 to be in a realistic range.

Think my problem is lifting the pace in a stint as fuel burns I tend to flatline more than anything until new tyres.

7 hours ago, Mintona said:

I’ve got the AI on 90 at the moment. I qualified 13th in Vietnam in sunshine and then finished 15th in a race that rained from start to finish. Which seemed about right. I wouldn’t expect to be much higher up the order, and my quali and race positions were quite similar.

if 90 is your "basic" value you will need to adjust later on, I have the same, just finished Canada where I needed to go to 100 for example to stay realistic, with the worst car in the grid I cannot end up at 10th or better. I did a GP Qualy before with Bottas and was 0.2 behind Hamilton, so 100 was about right. I will post my "90 Basic value" table as soon as I finished the season, if someone is interested :D

14 hours ago, Aef251 said:

SomImgo to Grand Prix mode and drive as Bottas just doing the qualifying. When I have the AI around a tenth of Hamilton I go to the next race and so on. I then take the average AI and start my career. I’ll have fastband slow tracks but it evens out.

Sorry explain this again please ?

Use GP mode to test AI difficulty on various tracks. Use maybe Bottas and try to stay not more than one or two tenth behind Hamilton. Do this on different tracks and take the average for AI difficulty. I think that's what he said.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Man seems alot of faffing around to get the Ai right ..ok appreciate the help and suggestions , i dont see the point of doing these tests though if the practice programs become too difficult to complete if you set the Ai difficulty to where you are within 1 or 2 tengths of your teammate 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Madmaz116