Practice programmes too darn hard (2019)

I'm on round 11 in the first season career and I haven't managed to complete or achieve any of the practice programmes. (Those ERS/tyre/fuel management and qualifying pace thingies). Not one in 10 race practice sessions! I can get more R&D points by simulating practice sessions. What is going on here? Have I maybe missed choosing a difficulty level at the very beginning of my career? Thinking on I can't remember having to choose a game difficulty at the start of the game. I'm hoping there is a lower gameplay difficulty that I could choose..........even if it means starting the game again.........otherwise it may have to be that I simulate all practice sessions.

There is difficulty choice at start of career, together with race length and practice/qualy duration choices. But also, when you go to the session, during loading screen you can press some button (shown in lower right) and that will open settings. There you can change difficulty and it will stay like that for the rest of your career or until you decide to change it again.

When I set AI difficulty to be correct for Q/R, it is usually: easy (getting purple) - Track acclimatization and race pace, medium (usually only green) - tyre, all others depend on track.

• Like 1

I've got AI difficulty set to 1 !!!!!.....and I still qualify in last place and generally get lapped in 25% length races. I've had my contract terminated twice and still there are teams willing to take me on, lol. And I'm only on round 13 in my first season. Things have just got to get better! Surely?

• Haha 1

Wow difficulty set to “1” and still not completing them. Are you upgrading parts on the car? Is the engine worn out?

Has to be settings/bug/ or severely damaged or worn car. Curious to know if the problem was corrected and what caused it. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Scrogs said:

I've got AI difficulty set to 1 !!!!!.....and I still qualify in last place and generally get lapped in 25% length races. I've had my contract terminated twice and still there are teams willing to take me on, lol. And I'm only on round 13 in my first season. Things have just got to get better! Surely?

Things can only go in one way from that position, right. :classic_wink: And round 13, looks like right number to change luck.:classic_biggrin:

So, how are you learning tracks, in practice on your own or in time trial? Which controller are you using and do you manage to hit gates in Track Acclimatization program?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, XanderSJX said:

Things can only go in one way from that position, right. :classic_wink: And round 13, looks like right number to change luck.:classic_biggrin:

So, how are you learning tracks, in practice on your own or in time trial? Which controller are you using and do you manage to hit gates in Track Acclimatization program?

I mainly learn tracks in time trial. I was learning tracks in practice sessions on career mode but I end up simulating some just to get more R&D points. I think that the most gates that I've hit in sequence is 4. I fail the time specific practise tests because I can't complete them within the time (I also fail those time challenge things where you have to beat a rival over a set distance). 

It's gotta be my car set up or lack of development in the career mode that is the problem. Last night I ran a solo GP race over 20 lapswith AI set to 10 and came third out of 20! Granted that I was driving a Mercedes and the car drove beautifully.

I'm playing on XboxOne with an XBox wireless controller. All controller settings are zero apart from steering linearity is set to 40.

Maybe my solo season will pick up in season two? Maybe I need to find my own car set up that suits my car and driving style?

Posted (edited)

You're losing a lot of time when you're playing with a controller, in my experience. When I got first hooked to the F1 series (F1 2011), I also found AI to be too difficult to compete with, but once I had bought a wheel, my performance was boosted and my lap times got much better. And once you get used to the wheel, your times will get even more better. I'm talking about several seconds. Depending on the track, you should be able to easily improve by 5 seconds, maybe up to 10+, once you switch that controller with a wheel.

Edited by EyTschej
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, EyTschej said:

You're losing a lot of time when you're playing with a controller, in my experience. When I got first hooked to the F1 series (F1 2011), I also found AI to be too difficult to compete with, but once I had bought a wheel, my performance was boosted and my lap times got much better. And once you get used to the wheel, your times will get even more better. I'm talking about several seconds. Depending on the track, you should be able to easily improve by 5 seconds, maybe up to 10+, once you switch that controller with a wheel.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions for getting a wheel. Unfortunately there's not much chance of me ever getting a wheel so I'm looking to maximise my gameplay experience with my controller. There are some good (speed and technique) pad drivers out there.......but I'm not one of them.😉

50 minutes ago, Mattitudey2j said:

What assists are you running?

Brake assist off. Anti lock braking on. Traction control medium. Gears auto ( I'm still learning to drive with manual gears but not confident enough to use manual in 'competative' driving).  Full driving line. But surely even with these assists I shouldn't be 3-10 seconds slower per lap (depending on circuit/lap length) than AI drivers/difficulty set at one!

No you shouldn't. On 1 you should be at least 10 seconds ahead of 2nd by the end of lap 1. Maybe your controller is broken? Try switching what button you use to accelerate and see if that helps. Double check the difficulty is actually 1.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mattitudey2j said:

No you shouldn't. On 1 you should be at least 10 seconds ahead of 2nd by the end of lap 1. Maybe your controller is broken? Try switching what button you use to accelerate and see if that helps. Double check the difficulty is actually 1.

It has never occurred to me that my controller might be faulty. I reckon it isn't as everything checks out ok when I depress the throttle and brake triggers on the callibration menu. It's more likely that my career car is badly set up or parts are worn. I've been on Time Trial this evening and have had improved/faster lap times whilst using other peoples set ups. 

• Like 1

@Scrogsif you care to share your setup we could chime in with our opinion. Or just state the track and I'd gladly share a couple setups I have.

It would help too to know what you struggle with the most. Think of driving a F1 car as composed of these basic stages:

• Slowing down. Right before corners, done mostly by braking the car but can also be done with lifting & coasting or engine braking. Could be a heavy braking zone after a long straight or a mild one in the middle of a corner complex.
  • Cornering. Arguably the most important one. Could be further broken down into:
    • Corner entry. The phase between braking, releasing the brakes and steering the car into the corner. You could be understeering here (when the car won't turn as much as you'd like), oversteering (the opposite, when the rear gets naughty and tends to rotate too much), not being able to follow the racing line...
    • Mid corner. That's when you are about to or have just hit the apex. That's when you're locked into your steering input and is getting ready to get back on the throttle. Again you could be understeering or oversteering here.
    • Corner exit. That's when you get back to the throttle either immediately after hitting the apex or when you're finishing with straightening up the car, completing its rotation. You could be losing traction, having your wheels slipping or spinning in place, understeering or oversteering.
  • Acceleration. That's all about applying throttle correctly and upshifting gears to get the most out of the grip available for you and translate your engine power into speed. You could be losing traction, having your wheels slip spin in place.

What is it that you find that happens to you the most? And of all those scenarios what is the hardest for you to correct on the fly?

They can all be addressed both by setups and by driving technique. But they require different fixes, and with these things it is always a matter of compromising one aspect for the other. Hence why it's helpful to know what you struggle with the most, as maybe you could cope with a tad slower car on corner exit to account for understeering but could not tolerate a similar fix if it gave you a oversteery car instead.

Playing on a controller, oversteering is my kryptonite. It is hard to counter steer the car with the left analog stick whereas if I were on a wheel I could make those quick adjustments to talk the rear down on behaving again.

• Thanks 1

Phew.....where do I start. Firstly I'll say that I can and do get around circuits fairly unscathed on some occasions. Great to get round but sooooo slow.

Braking..........It's usually all or nothing with me. Either I'm going too fast or brake too late into the corner and either run past the corner completely or have understeer and go off wide after the apex. If I'm going to get oversteer then it's nearly always on corner exit when the wheels still have some turn on them a and I probably input the throttle too early and/or gas too hard.

OR

I brake way too early (possibly overcompensating for braking too late previously?) and hit the apex with too little speed. Not good but I see it as a safer option speed and time loss wise going into corner under speed and lose say three tenths than going into corner over speed.....understeer and run off track and then the greater time loss as I try to get the car off the grass/gravel and back on the track. Losing seconds rather than tenths.

Posted (edited)

Looks like you are on the right track to getting better then!

Braking is driving first and setup second. Granted, the same could be argued for virtually any other problem, but what you describe seems to be missing your breaking point.

Understeering on corner entry could be your driving too. If you are still applying braking pressure when turning the car in, you won't have grip enough to perform both tasks simultaneously. It is better to brake first, than do the bulk of the steering when you let go of the brakes. Unless it is an easy corner, one with a big radius and higher speed. Setup wise, you can increase the front wing (at the cost of top speed on the straight), decrease the off-throttle differential, increase front toe (at the cost of tyre wear) or soften the front anti-roll bar (my fav!) and the front suspension springs.

Scrogs, just for you buddy. It is still a mess and maybe contradictory at times, but that's because I've been compiling these things for a while now with not much reviewing going on. Here:

image.thumb.png.d45852dfbcf16b8dd27c0b34c2b722a7.png

Edit: You are remarkable aware of your shortcomings it seems! That is like one half of the job done, no joke. The other half will be part practicing on adjusting your driving and part correcting your setup.

Just as much as you have a hall of fame of talented drivers in F1 history, you have those that went into the books for having a distinct feel for how the car was behaving and a keen mind for providing feedback to the garage. Schumacher was huge in this, every mechanic that has been with him will attest to his ability to recall how the car was behaving at each and every point of the track. Barrichello was another. That make setting up the car way easier!

Edited by marioho
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hey marioho. Thanks for your last post. Not only is it educational but it's motivational too. Just what I probably needed at a time that the game seems to be having a laugh at my expense. Even with my driving shortcomings, the game lures me back to play it as if to challenge me to get better. I'll  be back on the game tonight and I'm thinking about having a few laps of a circuit then have a concerted attempt to drive the corners using the replay/flashback facility in the hope that I can sort out some corner entry speeds and braking points. Yeah......the challenge is there.......and I'm up for it to overcome it.

Edited by Scrogs
  • Like 1

Oh Scrogs, that is so good to hear! Listen, looks like if you work on your braking you will step up your performance significantly. Here's and old but informative video on the subject. There are probably newer and more comprehensive videos on the matter, but I remember liking this one a lot because he casually explains how to brake and how to trail brake. Pay attention to how his cornering can be segmented between the braking phase and the steering phase. Trail braking is more of an advanced technique that you don't need to bother with now, but it is not thaaat hard to grasp at least the basics: you go from 100% braking pressure to like 10-20% when steering before letting go of the brakes completely and hitting the apex. This way you can compensate for the times you overshoot your braking point.

Coincidentally today the one and great @PJTierney published this video  on how to drive without ABS. Scrobs, my man, do not let the title fool you; in the video you'll have top quality tips and visual explanations on the basics of braking and even a crash course on how to trail brake. The part on how it all boils down to the grip available between your rubber and the tarmac? It is so refreshing to have that neat of a visual representation to get the point across!

PJ's video is about driving without ABS but don't worry, the basics you get from it are 100% applicable to our mundane poor man's everyday driving.

And please, do not turn off the racing line assist. That driving line. It takes time to learn the visual cues for each and every braking point in a circuit, there is no need to overload our minds with such a mammoth task when we're still learning the ropes of how to drive without pirouette on the gravel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, marioho said:

The part on how it all boils down to the grip available between your rubber and the tarmac? It is so refreshing to have that neat of a visual representation to get the point across!

I spent about 2 hours animating that little graphic 😄 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I spent about 2 hours animating that little graphic 😄 

And thank you for taking the time to do it. Have you got any more? In fact have you got any tips for F1 2019s worst driver. 😔

27 minutes ago, Scrogs said:

And thank you for taking the time to do it. Have you got any more? In fact have you got any tips for F1 2019s worst driver. 😔

I have a whole channel of tips, link in signature.

They're for 2020 but most of them will carry over into older games.

• Thanks 1