ERS Question

Hi everyone - firstly hope everyone is doing well in these difficult times and keeping safe. Sorry in advance if this has been covered but I can't find an answer to this question.

In F1 2019, I used to lower ERS down to 1 or even 0 during certain sectors or even the majority of the lap to build up battery power to mount an attack or go for the fastest lap at the end of the race. In the new 2020 game, although I am loving the addition of the Overtake button, I can't seem to get the ERS to manually increase or decrease to charge the battery more and it seems locked to either Medium or Overtake. 

I have mapped the ERS + and - to my wheel and disabled ERS assists but it still will not change in the race. It would be disappointing if this feature has been totally removed as I found it gave me an edge in the way I managed my ERS in the online championships I do with my mates. 

Thanks in advance

• Agree 1

That is by design and came from the feedback of actual F1 drivers during that coronavirus streaming craze they all went on a few months ago.

During a race drivers get their ERS deployment mapped by their engineers and the only fiddling they do during the actual event is activating the "overtake" mode when they can pounce on a passing or need to defend their position. The onboard video of Lando's last lap on Austria GP confirms that. The way it was simulated on F1 2019 wasn't accurate.

There is a new meta going on, though. You can gain precious time by smartly activating the Overtake mode after slow or mid speed corners, once you get flat out on the throttle again and until reaching high gears. So don't worry, there's still a valley of performance to be explored between the default and the smart use of ERS by players.

I did have ERS mode up and down mapped to my controller too but have since then freed the buttons to tweaking my on-throttle differential. I'm between fiddling with it or with brake bias during the race. That and fuel mix, too.  

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, marioho said:

That is by design and came from the feedback of actual F1 drivers during that coronavirus streaming craze they all went on a few months ago.

During a race drivers get their ERS deployment mapped by their engineers and the only fiddling they do during the actual event is activating the "overtake" mode when they can pounce on a passing or need to defend their position. The onboard video of Lando's last lap on Austria GP confirms that. The way it was simulated on F1 2019 wasn't accurate.

There is a new meta going on, though. You can gain precious time by smartly activating the Overtake mode after slow or mid speed corners, once you get flat out on the throttle again and until reaching high gears. So don't worry, there's still a valley of performance to be explored between the default and the smart use of ERS by players.

I did have ERS mode up and down mapped to my controller too but have since then freed the buttons to tweaking my on-throttle differential. I'm between fiddling with it or with brake bias during the race. That and fuel mix, too.  

Thanks for the reply. That is a bit of a shame - I feel quite hampered by the lack of control. Just out of interest - why is there a function to have ERS + and - assigned to the controls? Is there any situations where this is actually useable? I find that the overtake button uses a lot of ERS energy - as it should - however it takes an age to build back up in 1 (Medium) whereas in the last game it could be lowered to 1 (Low) to charge at a much quicker rate. 

I appreciate F1 drivers had input and the game is in the most part much better but we are not F1 drivers and it would be nice to have this control as we don't have engineers mapping ERS to our driving style etc.

• Agree 1

You can manually adjust ERS in Free Practice, that way you can simulate race pace or qualifying runs on the fly, without needing to do a Practice Programme.

I tend to only use the Programmes though, so I changed my MFD shortcuts this year to tweak Differential instead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

You can manually adjust ERS in Free Practice, that way you can simulate race pace or qualifying runs on the fly, without needing to do a Practice Programme.

I tend to only use the Programmes though, so I changed my MFD shortcuts this year to tweak Differential instead.

Does completing the free practice change any mappings towards your driving style or is it all default maps? 

I have no idea I'm afraid, sorry. Haven't researched it in-depth.

That's a good question for the David Greco thread though 🙂 

1 hour ago, TDARKW0LF90 said:

Does completing the free practice change any mappings towards your driving style or is it all default maps? 

I don't think it will change the mapping, but i'm not sure. Last year it could change your race strategy, because tyre wear and fuel consumption was calculated due to the programs. The mapping i think is fixed, but this has to answered by CM staff.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

I don't think it will change the mapping, but i'm not sure. Last year it could change your race strategy, because tyre wear and fuel consumption was calculated due to the programs. The mapping i think is fixed, but this has to answered by CM staff.

I believe you are correct. I think they've mapped that medium mode per track on best usage for a race to allow the player battery available to use OT so would make sense it is 1 default mode like hotlap would be too. Think it is done so your battery stays around 95% if you don't use OT and when you deplete your battery using OT, it will harvest at a set speed taking into account player's braking/coasting too to get back to 95% if you don't use OT (around 10-15% per lap).

• Agree 1

That's a shame they that they have removed the manual control of ERS this year as like the op I used to enjoy the strategy element that altering this during a race created.  Does that not make it much more difficult to build it up now that you cannot turn it down to off or low like last year?

So just to clarify.. there is an overtake button assigned which I assume is a simple on / off like for DRS but you can also set buttons to go up and down because the options to move between ERS modes is still there in practice. But why? If it's not available to do this in a race what's the point of it being available in practice? I'm confused lol.

7 minutes ago, Hammerpgh62 said:

If it's not available to do this in a race what's the point of it being available in practice? I'm confused lol.

Practice gives you access to all the modes used across both qualifying and the race but these are different from each other. In qualifying you have access to None and Hotlap (but not Overtake) whilst in the race you have access to Medium and Overtake.

Personally I am very glad that F1 2020 has the simpler system. 

1 hour ago, Hammerpgh62 said:

That's a shame they that they have removed the manual control of ERS this year as like the op I used to enjoy the strategy element that altering this during a race created.  Does that not make it much more difficult to build it up now that you cannot turn it down to off or low like last year?

So just to clarify.. there is an overtake button assigned which I assume is a simple on / off like for DRS but you can also set buttons to go up and down because the options to move between ERS modes is still there in practice. But why? If it's not available to do this in a race what's the point of it being available in practice? I'm confused lol.

The strategic element is still present and I would not call it dumbed down like some people do. Just different. Being more realistic is a plus, but even if ERS were a creation of the game with no real life parallel I'd still prefer this year approach considering I have brake bias, fuel mix and power diff to fiddle with already.

I don't remember the numbers from the top of my head but I think ERS is now mapped in a way that you are harvesting a surplus of 5-15% per lap? A figure on that ballpark. How much extra power it provides you is gear and speed dependent, but overtake mode overrides that and give you the full 160BHP extra juice. So it is all about timing and smart usage to defend your position, set up an overtake several turns or even laps in advance or go for a fast lap. You could do all that last time and I was a strong adept of the micro ERS management, but cycling through 5 modes to get the most out of it was quite the load. Now I can optimize my driving by adjusting the diff on the fly for those circuits mixing high and low speed corners without getting a mental blue screen.

In practice the game allows you to cycle through all modes in case you want to prepare for different scenarios and test different set ups accordingly.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the in depth response.  I can definitely see the idea behind it and it's not a deal breaker at all but think it would have been good to have an option to use either the full system or the simplified one. 

1 minute ago, Hammerpgh62 said:

Thanks for the in depth response.  I can definitely see the idea behind it and it's not a deal breaker at all but think it would have been good to have an option to use either the full system or the simplified one. 

The full system was hated by the esport drivers as you were changing the ERS every single corner to be competitive. As the real F1 drivers said you don't do that as it made it over complex and unrealistic. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Hammerpgh62 said:

I think it needs to be one system for everyone. If the old unrealistic one remained and was still faster then players would be forced to still use it to be competitive with the best.

• Agree 1

If you want to micro-manage, you can now focus on changing the brake bias into every corner instead 😄 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I think it needs to be one system for everyone. If the old unrealistic one remained and was still faster then players would be forced to still use it to be competitive with the best.

That's a fair point but I was more thinking for career and grand prix modes rather than multiplayer where the lobby can control this in the same way as other settings.