F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Pay to test

Pay £60 to become a Codemasters tester. You can get the game within a month of release and find all the bugs for them. Enjoy filling out massive bug reports for grumpy moderators, revel in wasting days in your spoiled career modes that you will have to restart once the game is mended. Remember guys if you dont post a full video of the bug it wont get investigated 👍

The special offer you can pay an extra £20 for a couple of lazy Schumacher mods and the chance to play an even more broken game that bit earlier!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 10

Dunno, mate. There are bugs, that’s true and undeniable. Bugs ranging from zero disruptiveness from quasi-game breaking ones. But they’re not ubiquitous and your mileage may vary.

All the bugs I encountered were reported, so you can see for yourself if you’re so inclined. And the reason for my reporting was that I feel like Codemasters listen to and work on the feedback they receive.

I don’t feel like a beta tester at all. The hours I log on the game gave been all fun, the bug reporting being a minute and side thing. But again, your mileage may vary and maybe I’m on the minority that didn’t encounter any serious bugs? I don’t have the data on that.

Neither do you on the ratio of players that are getting their fun ruined by bugs, so there’s that too. Speak for yourself, as I do for my part only.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

I didn't know that we had to return the game once it has been tested... Is that true?

And let's consider the alternative... If the game was set to be released in September, how many people would choose to pay for the game earlier and get it in July? I'd imagine quite a few people... and most of the people here.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

Bought the Schumacher edition. Also feel like I’ve paid £70 to be a tester. Day 16 and I’ve not had one day where I’ve played bug free. If EA released a game in this state there would be uproar, why are Codemasters getting a free ride? 

Edited by CactusJax90
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, CactusJax90 said:

Bought the Schumacher edition. Also feel like I’ve paid £70 to be a tester. Day 16 and I’ve not had one day where I’ve played bug free. If EA released a game in this state there would be uproar, why are Codemasters getting a free ride? 

I dont know why people go so easy on Codemasters. Such a shame because the actual gameplay is brilliant but I'm coming across bugs constantly.

I can understand folk feel aggrieved. Once I was the same.

I only buy the F1 games now after support has ceased and second hand. Havn't bothered with the 19 game at all, am watching and waiting to see if the 20 game will be any better. Thanks to you all for testing and bug reporting, but even after all the fixing is done I still think the games are a mess.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, 1henryw said:

Pay £60 to become a Codemasters tester. You can get the game within a month of release and find all the bugs for them. Enjoy filling out massive bug reports for grumpy moderators, revel in wasting days in your spoiled career modes that you will have to restart once the game is mended. Remember guys if you dont post a full video of the bug it wont get investigated 👍

The special offer you can pay an extra £20 for a couple of lazy Schumacher mods and the chance to play an even more broken game that bit earlier!

Being a little older than some here it does make me smile seeing these comments.

Years ago before patches were a thing, games would be released and if it had bugs you were stuffed. These days games companies can rectify these issues. These games are complex to make and perhaps you should be grateful you live in an age that improvements can be made so that your money isn't wasted.

Equally, you've been around long enough to know that after initial release of these F1 titles a number of bugs crop up so rather than complain about that just wait a month or two and purchase the game when it's in a state suitable to you.

• Agree 8

5 minutes ago, SIMRACER123 said:

Being a little older than some here it does make me smile seeing these comments.

Years ago before patches were a thing, games would be released and if it had bugs you were stuffed. These days games companies can rectify these issues. These games are complex to make and perhaps you should be grateful you live in an age that improvements can be made so that your money isn't wasted.

Equally, you've been around long enough to know that after initial release of these F1 titles a number of bugs crop up so rather than complain about that just wait a month or two and purchase the game when it's in a state suitable to you.

Agree, no-one is forcing anyone to spend their money on any game, be it on release day or 6 months down the line. As is with all new releases when buying a game on release it always takes a few months to iron out all of the issues.

As far as m experience has been with F1 2020 I cant really fault it besides a few little issues here and there which have been and are being attended to by CM.

Posted (edited)

I've been playing video games since the 90s. Years ago before patches were a thing you would install games off discs or play direct from cartridges and they worked perfectly straight out the box. They were rigorously tested. Companies would pay for entire teams of testers to test every possible thing.

Nowadays games (particularly sports ganes) are rushed to meet yearly deadline releases. Exciting catchy new features are a must to get those yearly sales. Who cares if they actually work?

The people who buy the game early are the modern unpaid games testers. They rely on our feedback. How many patches did the last game have 7 or 8? I actually forgot but I remember there were alot. They were still releasing them 6 months after release. The reason it is so prevalent is people accept it. Some even say we should be grateful😂 Like they are doing is some kind of favour by fixing the games so they actually work as advertised. 

Edited by 1henryw
  • Like 1

One of those things with codies f1 games I am afraid live and learn if you bought any of the previous titles you know the drill.

Usually takes a month or two for all serious bugs to be sorted but thetes still loads from previous games and desin choices that have needed sorting for years like

Safety car I have off as its not a true safety car in this game (allows you to virtually hotlap for a good minite or so in some cases) and cars cannot unlap themselves!

You can lose time and get a time penalty had this loafs of times even under safety car when theres a delta!

Always issues with parts wearing on scaled races in careers (sorted with last patch but always happens)

The mandotry tyre bug was in previous games.

Silly driver transfers 

No weather option for career which is an issue because codies code every track to scotlands weather. Heard its for realism but how muh rainy races on average do we get a year 2 or 3 perhaps Ive had on average over 10 in last few seasons on 18 and 19 the 2019 career I had 16 rainy races come on!

And we have new bugs not recified yet like engines not swapping over in my team if you switch.

Theres a good game in there somewhere but the design decisions baffle me at times.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

That's not really true and not fair. I remember the times where i had to wait for a game magazine with CD to hope there was a patch on it. I also remember many games i couldn't finish because of game braking bugs.

On the other hand today it's easier to release a not 100% finished game, because you can patch it afterwards any time.

Todays time it is harder for game companies. Every player wants more and more. The best thing better graphics, more content in less time, for less money and with zero bugs.

• Agree 2

This is actually problem with nearly every game developer right now. Today everybody has internet connection so it is much easier to make half complete game and then release patches afterwards. Long time ago games didn't had even 1/10 of bugs as today games, I really don't know what is problem just to push release date further.

Example Cyberpunk 2077 has been postponed already two times because they felt game isn't finished and they want to release game without problems, big props to CDPR. 

Remember, "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad".

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

In fairness to codies didnt f1 2019 have 22 patches!

So yes buggy but 22 pathes is pretty decent support.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

That's not really true and not fair. I remember the times where i had to wait for a game magazine with CD to hope there was a patch on it. I also remember many games i couldn't finish because of game braking bugs.

On the other hand today it's easier to release a not 100% finished game, because you can patch it afterwards any time.

Todays time it is harder for game companies. Every player wants more and more. The best thing better graphics, more content in less time, for less money and with zero bugs.

I never had a game I couldnt finish cus of bugs. Nor do I remember game breaking bugs with CD patches. N64, gamecube, xbox 1, PC games, it just wasn't really a thing. I remember Grand Prix 4 used to crash to desktop occasionally but nothing game breaking. 

Less money? I paid £70 for this game. Well over half a days wages for me. I have said on here many times I would prefer a game every two years if the games worked. Every year is bad for bugs but this year is particularly bad. Such a shame because the actual gameplay is superb.

24 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

I've been playing video games since the 90s. Years ago before patches were a thing you would install games off discs or play direct from cartridges and they worked perfectly straight out the box. They were rigorously tested. Companies would pay for entire teams of testers to test every possible thing.

Could it be that games in the 90's were a little less complex than those of today?

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

In fairness to codies didnt f1 2019 have 22 patches!

So yes buggy but 22 pathes is pretty decent support.

The game needed 22 patches and you think that is a good thing?🙈

They put that in the adverts "only 22 patches needed" 

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, SIMRACER123 said:

Could it be that games in the 90's were a little less complex than those of today?

Yes but they were still complicated. Less expensive too. Games today have bigger teams working on them and they are more expensive, even accounting for inflation. The internet has allowed developers to release unfinished games and just patch them later and alot of people accept it. It has become the norm over the last few years and that is really not a good thing.

3 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

I never had a game I couldnt finish cus of bugs. Nor do I remember game breaking bugs with CD patches. N64, gamecube, xbox 1, PC games, it just wasn't really a thing. I remember Grand Prix 4 used to crash to desktop occasionally but nothing game breaking. 

Less money? I paid £70 for this game. Well over half a days wages for me. I have said on here many times I would prefer a game every two years if the games worked. Every year is bad for bugs but this year is particularly bad. Such a shame because the actual gameplay is superb.

Maybe we have played different games. I remember a lot of games with bugs. Some smaller, some bigger and sometimes game braking bugs. The bad thing back in time was, if you found some bugs, you had to deal with it. You couldn't wait a week to hope it would be patched out.

Yes, less money, that's what people want. I didn't say that's what they get, because it isn't possible. Every year more and more player complaining about the prices.

• Like 1

Just now, 1henryw said:

The game needed 22 patches and you think that is a good thing?🙈

They put that in the adverts "only 22 patches needed" 

I'm struggling to understand here what your issue is . Modern day games tend to have bugs. It's a fact of life right now and they can be patched accordingly. Bugs are more likely to appear at release.

You can help yourself here by just not buying a game when it first comes out.

In a perfect world there would be no bugs, but that is not the case and applies across the gaming industry. You know that prior codemasters F1 titles have had a number of patches released to smooth out issues so why complain about something you knew was likely to happen?

• Agree 1

First, you should look on number of features in game today and in game 20 years ago. More features=more people and more time needed to test it. For example GP mode: it can have single race or multiple races in whatever order, and each can be started with any car. So that would make 20 cars x 2 (single/multi race). Then multiply it with combinations of tracks in multi race. And all of that it could be tested probably without actually playing, just writing code that tests code. But then it comes hard part: all of those combinations need to be tested with 100s different controller/keyboard/wheel/wheel-pedal configurations, because each of them behaves different in order to give as close representation as possible. Then after that, set different weather and enable/disable practice and qualy and set race distance. After that finish the race, just clean race no contact, if needed just cruising on your own. Go through result page and so on and make sure all goes smoothly. Now, I am a bit lost on number of combinations there is in all of these, hope it is still counted in less than 6 figures. And then let's say you did it, you tested everything after let's say 6months I would say for this, and you got 2-3 bugs that still need work for. Congrats, you verified...wait for it...GP mode. :classic_biggrin: All you have left is whole logic in career mode, my team mode. Then you can move to actually testing all possibilities of what can happen in race, doing it and seeing how game behaves. And after that, you can move on testing multiplayer. Then in the middle of testing you get: we have yearly contract and thus must move to next edition.

Now go 20 years in past and find game that takes all the rules of F1 and implements it with as close as possible and it is working perfectly without any (note meaning of ANY) patch.

• Agree 1

Also been playing games since the early 90s. The difference now is developers know they can get away with releasing an unfinished game. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs the amount of people on here defending them. Imagine any other industry where you can knowingly sell something broken.

• Agree 1

Some serious cases of rose tinted specs going on here... 

Games in the 90's ... are not even remotely comparable to what we are looking at now. Can people seriously be saying they didn't ship with bugs? It's great you don't remember them.. but come on. 

F1 2005 shipped with the possibility to win career on the hardest level in a Minardi. Couldn't ever be patched, just the way it was. completely crippled the mode. 

F1 2006 shipped with numerous AI and balancing issues. Couldn't lose at Bahrain, couldn't win at Suzuka, just had to live with it. Couldn't be patched to balance. 

Is it fun to find a bug in a new game? Of course not. But having plaed F1 2019 recently, that game is superb, polished, well balanced and apart from some minor complaints, largely issue free. 

That will be 2020 in due time. 

I am thankful that these days, games are not released permanently broken. 

• Agree 5

3 minutes ago, CactusJax90 said:

Also been playing games since the early 90s. The difference now is developers know they can get away with releasing an unfinished game. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs the amount of people on here defending them. Imagine any other industry where you can knowingly sell something broken.

You're incredibly naive if you think the games industry is somehow one of the worst examples of business practices compared to literally hundreds of other industries.

• Agree 2

I understand games are more complicated than they once were. My sister can create simple games on her computer by herself in a day. The main word there being simple. Games today are complicated. Red Dead 2 worked perfectly for me and only ever had 1 patch but the credits lasted half an hour because the team that made it was enormous. I get it. Yet codies do charge £55 for their games and they are the worst gaming company I have ever come across for bugs. Their games get worst for bugs every year.

They dont even try to release games that work properly on release. They knowingly release broken games then wait for the feedback to begin fixing them, in some years they have admitted fixes would never come and have said issues would be "fixed for the next game". 

I've been posting in this forum for the last 4 years. I have put alot of effort into highlighting issues and bugs. I genuinely believe last year I was one if the main reasons the R and D speed issue got fixed cus I wouldn't let it drop and made sure it was always one if the top topics. What is intresting to me is how people are way more accepting of major issues than they were even a couple of years ago. Pep just seem to pay £55 or £70 then just shrug and accept the issues. 

I got brought the game for my birthday this year as I'd normally wait cus I know they dont work on release but its intresting to see how attitudes to shoddy releases have changed. The more accepting of this people become the worst these issues will get.

12 minutes ago, CactusJax90 said:

Well said