F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Wet quali/dry race (or vice versa) what setup does the AI use.

Posted (edited)

I was wondering this yesterday. I had a wet quali and a dry race, so I went for a wet setup for quali and the AI was about as fast as me. But the race was then dry and the AI seemed to have a dry setup on the car whereas I was bound to parc ferme rules and had to drive the race with my wet setup as well.

Does anyone know how the AI is made in the game to cope with this? Do they always go for a default setup no matter if it’s wet or dry? And are they parc ferme bounded as well?

Edited by DutchRacer87
  • Agree 1

I'm not sure but I think they have the same setups in wet and dry. The AI is unaffected by tyre temperatures which enables it to do so. For the same reason the AI is lightning fast in borderline conditions between wet and dry.

7 minutes ago, janbonator said:

I'm not sure but I think they have the same setups in wet and dry. The AI is unaffected by tyre temperatures which enables it to do so. For the same reason the AI is lightning fast in borderline conditions between wet and dry.

I’ve seen a few other people say this (that the AI are fast as the conditions change), but i’ve found the opposite so far. I always seem to gain quite a chunk of time on them in those couple of laps where it’s almost time to change from drys to inters or visa versa.

I think it’s all tyre temp related to be honest - that seems to me to be the dominant factor this year in terms of setup.

4 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

I’ve seen a few other people say this (that the AI are fast as the conditions change), but i’ve found the opposite so far. I always seem to gain quite a chunk of time on them in those couple of laps where it’s almost time to change from drys to inters or visa versa.

I think it’s all tyre temp related to be honest - that seems to me to be the dominant factor this year in terms of setup.

Yes indeed. I guess it depends on the track and circumstance. For example I had a 50% race where the conditions stayed on the edge between dry and wet throughout and I was over 2 seconds off the pace all race. The forecast gave 3 drops of rain for the entirety of the race, so I figured it would rain. In rain setups one has low tyre pressures.. which meant I was racing on a damp track with sub-par tyre temps for the entirety of the race. Couldn't get them higher even though I spent every straight of Monza weaving aggressively.

They use the same setup both in dry and wet. They do have tyre temperatures but are like stable in a certain range. Telemetry apps confirm that.

10 minutes ago, janbonator said:

Yes indeed. I guess it depends on the track and circumstance. For example I had a 50% race where the conditions stayed on the edge between dry and wet throughout and I was over 2 seconds off the pace all race. The forecast gave 3 drops of rain for the entirety of the race, so I figured it would rain. In rain setups one has low tyre pressures.. which meant I was racing on a damp track with sub-par tyre temps for the entirety of the race. Couldn't get them higher even though I spent every straight of Monza weaving aggressively.

Wet is in general hard to judge. It can be easier, harder and it all depends on tracks and setups. In a stable full wet race the user benefits from full wet setups and clearly has an edge on the AI. In a dry with a touch of wet race in particular tracks the AI has a big edge due to tyre temperatures. Obviously it has a lot to do with distance too. For example 100% distance users are more exposed to the variance. In a full distance race that is 3/4 dry there's not a lot that you can do since you have to go with a dry setup (otherwise you'd lose too much) and that final quarter of the race is still the equivalent of a 25% race that you have to face in uncomfortable position. Plus I don't if the transition is quicker in shorter distances. It also could be a factor.

This is probably the biggest change the game has to make in the future in the offline department. AI drivers feel like humans but there are those situations that remind you that they're not actually on your same track and in your same condition if you know what I mean...

• Agree 2

It still feels a bit unfair and strange though that I have to chose between a wet/dry setup and could end up on the wrong side if the race in complete opposite conditions because I’m parc ferme bounded. Whereas the AI use a setup where they are just as fast in the dry as in the wet.

2 minutes ago, DutchRacer87 said:

It still feels a bit unfair and strange though that I have to chose between a wet/dry setup and could end up on the wrong side if the race in complete opposite conditions because I’m parc ferme bounded. Whereas the AI use a setup where they are just as fast in the dry as in the wet.

Yeah, but on the flip side if they don’t alter their setup you have the unfair advantage in every race that’s fully dry or fully wet

On 7/22/2020 at 8:48 PM, kalamazoo123 said:

Me too, they slow down a lot immediately when it starts to rain, while I can keep the dry pace for a couple of laps until the track surface is wet.

Now I just qualified P14 in Sochi with a wet setup on a dry quali, (the same diff where I just dominated Singapore) all the other cars were as fast as me in FP with dry setup. I bet that in the race they will be as fast as me on my wet setup. To me, they just seem to ignore parc ferme rule or whatever.

Would be good to see the AI setups also, like with regards to each race, what are they using for wings, suspension etc. 

On 7/22/2020 at 10:42 PM, DutchRacer87 said:

It's hardly unfair. I'm pretty sure the AI just uses the default setup so sometimes it has an advantage and sometimes it hasn't. The one advantage it has is basically perfect traction, causing a big advantage when you're on non-ideal tyres.

• Like 1

Seems like the AI performance is tweaked differently.

The setup sliders are just a medium for the player to interact with the various mechanics simulated by the game, like downforce, grip, and drag. Just an interface.

The AI runs differently on each track and any telemetry app will show that they still go through the steering, braking, and throttle inputs like any human player, but those performance aspects are not preset via the 1-11 sliders we get.

It's like if they cut the middle man and manipulates their raw performance directly. 

• Agree 1