F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Turning cycle in slow corners

Has anyone notice that slow corners seem more laboured in this version? Turn 1/2 in Monza, Monaco hairpin, Canadian hairpin, Vietnam’s tight one - all seem way more challenging than in 2019. 

It's because of the new engine braking parameters. No more "extra rotation" by aggressive downshifting and revving the engine into shreds like previously. Now, if you want more rotation mid corner you must manipulate the throttle instead of gears.

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, janbonator said:

It's because of the new engine braking parameters. No more "extra rotation" by aggressive downshifting and revving the engine into shreds like previously. Now, if you want more rotation mid corner you must manipulate the throttle instead of gears.

Agree with this. It’s all down to driving style I suppose.  I never used the extra downshift for rotation last year (just didn’t ever feel right) so I actually find it much easier this year.

• Agree 1

If I understand correctly, it can be quite the contrary, but will need to work on the throttle. Being a dualshock user and using automatic most of the time, I was under the impression of perfoming better in those types of corners. TBH I did tweak a bit on the setup to try to get more rotation. Still struggle a bit on the corner exit, but sometimes it can be nailed

18 minutes ago, MattKB said:

Hmm I use auto gears so am I now at even more of a disadvantage?

I would say you should now find it easier than last year (or at least be quicker without it feeling much different). The problem last year was manual users using an extra downshift mid corner to rotate the car. Totally unrealistic bit it worked in game. It doesn’t so much this year (though I think it still does work more than it should).

I’m doing something wrong then. I’m finding that I’m braking going in, initiating the turn and it’s pretty hard work getting around the apex on right turns. 

3 hours ago, janbonator said:

This and the new handling model that caters way more to a understeery turnability. Hence why you see most setups with way more unlocked off-throttle differentials than last year.