Sign in to follow this  

Motorsport Stuff thread

Cars look fantastic, and great photos as ever! I'm seriously considering going to the BTCC at Silverstone this year actually, it's £25 for the day, very tempted.
If you do then @Hughesy and I will meet you there :p 

Cars look fantastic, and great photos as ever! I'm seriously considering going to the BTCC at Silverstone this year actually, it's £25 for the day, very tempted.
If you do then @Hughesy and I will meet you there :p 
Oh cool! Well if I end up buying tickets then we'll try and meet up!

Justin Wilson is in a coma after a crash in Indycar yesterday. Thoughts with his family. 

Reports have confirmed Justin Wilson has passed away...

My thoughts go out to Wilson and his family.

SynGamer said:

Real sad news. He was actually one of the few IndyCar drivers I actually knew a bit about thanks to his F1 stints. 

Another death on an IndyCar oval race though. Surely if they want to keep racing ovals they need some kind of canopy or screen in front of the driver to deflect things which could strike their helmets, either that or just do road courses instead.

All these head-injuries with racing drivers are becoming a recurring theme in the last 2 years. So sad for every single one of them, dead or alive. 

R.I.P.

SynGamer said:

Real sad news. He was actually one of the few IndyCar drivers I actually knew a bit about thanks to his F1 stints. 

Another death on an IndyCar oval race though. Surely if they want to keep racing ovals they need some kind of canopy or screen in front of the driver to deflect things which could strike their helmets, either that or just do road courses instead.
With Wheldon's crash I'd agree, but Wilson could have been struck by the debris just as easily at any other track. Was a freak accident, nothing more to it. How easily the wheels detached in the GP3 crashes at Spa needs to be looked at much more urgently imo.

APR193 said:
SynGamer said:

With Wheldon's crash I'd agree, but Wilson could have been struck by the debris just as easily at any other track. Was a freak accident, nothing more to it. How easily the wheels detached in the GP3 crashes at Spa needs to be looked at much more urgently imo.
Yes it was a freak accident, but how many of the more recent incidents have involved head injuries? To be honest, I can't help but feel all forms of open wheel racing should have some form of canopy or screen now. Obviously we'll get the whole thing of people moaning that open wheel should be open cockpit, but I'd rather have slightly safer drivers than stick to 'tradition'. They don't even have to be full fighter jet canopies, they could easily make an open cockpit with an open canopy.

The exposure of a driver's head is clearly the biggest safety issue present in all types of open wheel racing today, but I don't know if there can be a perfect solution. A jet fighter style canopy causes more problem than it solves, and having some kind of bodywork around the driver 's head (such as the "halo" concept shown by Mercedes in F1) would've most likely made no difference to the outcome of any of the Wilson/Bianchi/Massa incidents of the past few years, and if anything just raises the problem of driver visibility. It's a tough problem. 

RIP Justin Wilson. 

VetteIfan said:
The exposure of a driver's head is clearly the biggest safety issue present in all types of open wheel racing today, but I don't know if there can be a perfect solution. A jet fighter style canopy causes more problem than it solves, and having some kind of bodywork around the driver 's head (such as the "halo" concept shown by Mercedes in F1) would've most likely made no difference to the outcome of any of the Wilson/Bianchi/Massa incidents of the past few years, and if anything just raises the problem of driver visibility. It's a tough problem. 

RIP Justin Wilson. 
For me something like the picture below would be a fairly good compromise. Only I think I'd have it slightly further back and a little bit taller.

They won't drop ovals as that's what the series is born from. I expect them to do something though, Indycar have always seem to react when there's been problems (see the new car designs after Wheldon). A canopy for ovals makes sense, even if they drop it for road courses. They need to give the driver some protection when going 230mph.

Its a terrible tragedy though, can't imagine what his family is going through right now. RIP Justin.

Ah dear, wasn't hoping to wake up to this news. Absolutely tragic, feel so sorry for his family.

On the topic of the closed cockpits, they have to be looked at now, pretty much every serious incident in this generation of open wheel motor racing involves the head area. The actual protection of the driver in crashes has improved so much, but it's of course, the head which is still exposed.

It's so difficult to find a good solution though. I've seen so many concepts and while they all have some positives, they almost all have some negatives too which would cause more problems.

As one of you said, I don't think it's the oval that was the issue here. It could have easily happened on a road course.

LMP1 cars are obviously now all closed cockpit cars, but it's different of course due to the design of the cars, so they get in through the side window door. You couldn't do that in IndyCar or F1.

I prey that this sort of thing doesn't keep happening. Some of these accidents have just been a case of wrong place at the wrong time, but there's been too many near misses that could have easily turned out in serious injury or death if the cars were inches in different directions. (Chilton Silverstone 2014, Alonso Spa 2012, Schumacher Abu Dhabi 2010).

This year was the first time I watched the Indycar season. I actually started watching it about 4 weeks ago, luckily some nice fellow has uploaded all the races in full to the Youtubes. I've been pleasantly surprised, I've found the season more enjoyable to watch than most of the F1 seasons I've seen. I enjoyed watching the ovals as well as the road courses, and its been a season of close racing without a single dominant driver or team. I'd recommend checking it out if anyone is interested.

Its strange how early the season has ended though, or maybe its just that F1 goes on for too long.

Few shots for the thread from my last couple of motorsport outings. Went to a (very wet) Lydden Hill for the seventh round of the British Rallycross Championship...

...then to a very sunny Loheac in France for the ninth round of the World Rallycross Championship:

Jaime Alguersuari has retired from racing: http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/alguersuari-announces-retirement-from-racing/

Yeah just saw that too, his decision seems completely justified, so good for him if that's what he wants to do.

Seems crazy he's retiring at just 25, can't believe he's so young still!

Really nasty crash at Bathurst. Not sure if any of you are following it, but Qualy has been canceled and track activity has been canceled for the rest of the day.

https://twitter.com/v8supercars/status/652348672621940736

That'll buff out.                                                                                                                                                 

Decided to try something different last weekend; I gave sidecarcross and quad bike racing a look...

...some seriously impressive riding - and a serious lack of self preservation from the sidecar passengers! 

Current Race of Champions Lineup:
Team Driver 1 Category(ies) Titles Previous ROC Results Driver 2 Category(ies) Titles Previous ROC Results
Team England Jason Plato BTCC Double BTCC Champion 2010 Nations Cup Runner Up TBA
Team Germany Sebastian Vettel F1 Quadruple F1 World Champion 2007-2012 Nations Cup Winner Nico Hulkenberg F1/WEC 2015 Le Mans 24 Hours Winner N/A
Team Spain Jorge Lorenzo MotoGP Double MotoGP World Champion 2012 Nations Cup Semi-Finalist TBA
Team Australia Daniel Ricciardo F1 3 F1 Wins N/A Mick Doohan 500cc Motorcycle World Championship (Retired) 5 Consecutive 500cc World Championships 2009 Legends Semi-Finalist/2012 Nations Cup Semi-Finalist
Team Brazil Felipe Massa F1 11 F1 Wins/2008 Runner Up 2005 "Racing Section" Runner Up Nelson Piquet Jr Formula E 2014/15 Formula E World Champion 2005 "Racing Division" Quarter-Finalist
Team Nordic Tom Kristensen WEC (Retired) Double WEC World Champion Double Nations Cup Winner Petter Solberg WRX 2003 WRC Champion/2014 WRX Champion 2014 Nations Cup Winner
Team Scotland David Coulthard F1/DTM (Retired) 13 F1 Wins 2014 Champion of Champions Susie Wolff F1 (Development) 3 Formula Renault UK Podiums 2014 Nations Cup Runner Up
Team France Romain Grosjean F1 2011 GP2 Champion 2012 Champion of Champions TBA