Sign in to follow this  

Motorsport Stuff thread

Few photos from my last motorsport outings of 2015. Went to Italy in October for round 12 of the World Rallycross Championship...

...then into the woods of Aldershot for the annual Tempest rally...

...now a long couple of months wait until the first event of 2016!

My heart stopped quite a number of times. Damn that #17, almost broke my heart on a number of occasions.

Mexicola said:
My heart stopped quite a number of times. Damn that #17, almost broke my heart on a number of occasions.

When it ground to a halt at the last corner I almost died! And then when they left the pits on electric power and didn't fire I was foaming!

Shout out to 4-time NASCAR Sprint Cup-champion Jeff Gordon, who raced his last ever race this Sunday in Miami. Was still in contention for winning the championship, but lost out to Kyle Busch, who won his first ever championship in the Sprint Cup series.

Gordon is arguably the most popular and well-known NASCAR-driver next to Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Richard Petty. He won the Daytona 500 three times and racked up 93 wins, the most in the modern era and the third most on the all-time list. His popularity in the 90s created a boost of revenue for NASCAR internationally and the series itself wouldn't be as big as it now without him. For American motorsport, it's probably the equivalent of somebody like Ayrton Senna or Michael Schumacher retiring.

It will start off great before the series will get corrupted by crazy rules and naturally talented bots being replaced by paybots.

Thought I'd share this with you guys. Over at the /r/RaceTrackDesigns subreddit, they are running a little competition called 'Chaos in New York' where you have to design a facility at a place called Barren Island.

We had to design a facility that can host Formula 1, MotoGP, NASCAR and drag racing. The rules are quite strict in terms of what you can and can't do, and the facility has to meet various standards by FIA/FIM, etc.

So this is what I came up with!

Click the image to see a higher res version, but hopefully the illustration can speak for itself. I may upload a timelapse video of me creating it on my iPad if I have time.

Pretty cool. I like the design, interesting that you can fit so many different race series without compromising any of them. 

Funny, I drive by there all the time. Couldn't think of a worse place to build a track haha. Traffic is horendous, there's always construction on the Belt Parkway, access is limited because you can't drive trucks on the parkway so you'd need Flatbush which is really local and goes through some sketchy areas. Plus it's basically at sea level, so one good rain and the place is underwater. 

Oh wow that's quite interesting. I obviously have no idea of the area at all, I just looked at the Google aerial map and got to work designing :p 

I'm getting a Jerez/Sonoma Raceway-hybrid sort of feel when looking at it. Looks like the type of track GT-cars would love. Pretty cool yeah

Not sure if anyone is interested, but a few of my fave motorsport photos (and a few words) from 2015: 

http://fueltopia.co.uk/profiles/blog/rear-view-mirror-2015

Super photos man, always been nice to look through them all whenever you post new ones up, looks like you've had a fantastic year!

MBKF1 said:
Super photos man, always been nice to look through them all whenever you post new ones up, looks like you've had a fantastic year!
Cheers @MBKF1! Yeah, been to some brilliant events this year, hope I can get to as many in 2016!

This is actually amazing! Only in America could this happen :D Maybe Suzuka should be modified for F1 to do this? And there is a crash, just not where you'd expect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZKqhvch3mU

Just found out a ticket for the WEC race at Silverstone is only £35. I never checked before, and just kinda assumed it would be around F1 prices, genuinely shocked at how good that price is!

I'm going to there again this year, had a fantastic time last year! I'm gonna go on the Saturday again though, so it'll be £20.

I'm not going on the Sunday as the only action is the WEC race and a Porsche Carrera Cup race in the morning.

On the Saturday there's a lot more going on, as there's WEC practice and qualifying, Porsche Carrera Cup qualifying and race, and ELMS qualifying and race. On top of that there's a free pit walk for ELMS and also for WEC in the afternoon, while the ELMS race is happening. 

When I went last year I got a bit bored after the first hour and half of the ELMS race so I went home, so I doubt I'd enjoy sitting through a 6 hour WEC race lol. Saturday just seems more appealing to me.

Well I say that now, I've just realised I've got a concert I've got to do on that day  :s That's so annoying! Also I'm busy on the Sunday so I'll just have to go on the Friday. Bit of a shame as there aren't any races on but at least all three championships are in action a couple of times each.

MBKF1 said:
Well I say that now, I've just realised I've got a concert I've got to do on that day  :s That's so annoying! Also I'm busy on the Sunday so I'll just have to go on the Friday. Bit of a shame as there aren't any races on but at least all three championships are in action a couple of times each.w
What time is the concert? Just do both! I did the MotoGP and a concert on the same day back in 2014. Was busy, but was an awesome combo! (Though I was pretty tired the next day)

Off to Lydden on Sunday for the second round of the British Rallycross Championship. My first motorsport outing of the year and I cannot wait, seems to have been a very long off season!

It's not til 7.30pm so I would be able to do it, but there's also a rehearsal from 2-5pm which I really need to go to. It sucks but hey hum.

I caught up with the first Indycar race of the season. Its quickly becoming my favourite race series, such good battles all through the field. If it wasn't ruined by the constant ad-breaks that blight American sports it'd be much more interesting.

Platy said:
I caught up with the first Indycar race of the season. Its quickly becoming my favourite race series, such good battles all through the field. If it wasn't ruined by the constant ad-breaks that blight American sports it'd be much more interesting.
That crash on the restart... It was hilarious and exactly what I was expecting from those guys :p 

It is good racing though. The craziest thing for me is seeing from the onboard views that the cars look genuinely scary to drive on a street circuit compared to F1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN2ggfP09mc

In other news, I was at Silverstone on Tuesday as myself and a couple of mates decided to go to the British Superbikes test and media day!

Totally worth the trip, it was free for the day and the access to everything was quite incredible. I mean, my mate somehow ended up waving a red flag which is quite something.

Let me talk you through the day. I was able to drive straight into the circuit, so they clearly weren't expecting many people, and parked in the old paddock car park. We went for a walk in the old paddock and the teams were literally like 'hey guys come on into the garage!'

Amazing, we were just in the back of the garage and chatted to a couple of riders just before they went out to test! We then saw some other members of the public just standing on the pit wall so we thought 'f*** it let's head over', so we literally crossed the pit lane in the middle of a test session and were watching the bikes from the pit wall!

Then a red flag came out and my mate asked the marshall if he could wave it, and he did! We then just went for a walk around the circuit, and the security really wasn't amazing, we could have easily just walked onto the circuit at many points.

At the loop section, a gate was just open which led to the circuit and we saw a couple of guys with their cameras just snapping away, so we decided to wander through ourselves and started taking photos! It was crazy, we were ahead of the fences, but just behind the tyre barriers!

We wandered around the new paddock too which was completely deserted, and then made out way back to the national pit straight for the pit walkabout, so chatted to a couple of riders, got photos and yeah, just amazing!

I spent £10 in the entire day, and that was just for my lunch at a nice local pub, not a penny at the circuit. 10/10 would go again.