Sign in to follow this  

Motorsport Stuff thread

So.. Alon5oth.. :p                                                                               

mike96 said:

So.. Alon5oth.. :p                                                                               

He'll be A1onso by turn 1 ;)

Worrying to see Sato on his left at the start though...

Been fighting with Flickr for the last 24 hours, but finally got some pictures from Round 4 of the World Rallycross Championship uploaded. Few of my faves...

...few more here: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22961613@N06/albums/72157682233594080

If anyone is interested. Just a couple of days until Round 5 at Lydden, I can't wait!  

I was planning on going to Lydden this weekend but already got a family commitment that's been planned for a while. Next year...

MBKF1 said:

I was planning on going to Lydden this weekend but already got a family commitment that's been planned for a while. Next year...

Well you won't be going to Lydden for the World Rallycross next year: this is the last year it's going to be there.  :(

Oh poop, totally forgot about that! What a pain, I do hope it returns in the near future.

MBKF1 said:

Oh poop, totally forgot about that! What a pain, I do hope it returns in the near future.

So do I! Silverstone might be OK but, as the birthplace of the sport, I'd still rather see it at Lydden. 

I noticed the new Rallycross circuit in construction at Silverstone when I went there in April, will be interesting to see how it turns out. I haven't been to Lydden so I can't really say, but I would assume the facilities there would not be on the same level as Silverstone. In a way it's kinda cool having a brand new high-spec rallycross track in the UK. 

I'd love to go watch Rallycross. I watched some amateur stuff years ago and it was exciting stuff. 

Hughesy said:
I'd love to go watch Rallycross. I watched some amateur stuff years ago and it was exciting stuff. 
Rallycross is great to watch at all levels, but the commitment of the guys in the World Championship is something else. It's amazing to see how much the lap times at the established circuits have fallen in the last few years. If you are able to get to a World event then I can't recommend it enough!
MBKF1 said:
I noticed the new Rallycross circuit in construction at Silverstone when I went there in April, will be interesting to see how it turns out. I haven't been to Lydden so I can't really say, but I would assume the facilities there would not be on the same level as Silverstone. In a way it's kinda cool having a brand new high-spec rallycross track in the UK. 
There is a launch event at Silverstone next week, so we should get to see more of the track then. 

Silverstone is my least favourite circuit in the UK but, as this is a separate layout I hope that spectators will be able to get a lot closer. I am yet to go to a circuit with viewing as good as Lydden, but hopefully they can get people close enough to see everything.

Back from the TT! Had a cracking time even if we only saw two races due to the weather. I'll upload photos and videos etc, but it was an unbelievable experience. A couple of deaths in the last couple of days have sorta put a dampener on things though.

A week Tuesday and I'll be heading down to Silverstone for the Formula Student event! Can't wait for it even if we have a lot of work to do to get the car ready. I'll be driving on the Saturday of the event. So, if anyone has a free weekend, you can buy spectator tickets and there's a bit of spectator entertainment on too!

Week or so ago I was fortunate enough to get an invitation to the 6R4.net track day. Many cool cars were seen, here are some of them:

Craig Breen arrived later in the day for his first crack at a 6R4...

...didn't take him long to start throwing it around! 

More pictures here: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22961613@N06/albums/72157684238407881

If any of you are interested!

What a week for motorsport. LMP1 and DTM are dying, and Formula E is growing and growing.

As exciting as this year's Le Mans was, that race was undoubtedly the final straw for Porsche. Seeing all 5 hybrids break down is just terrible, and what manufacturer wants to spend millions and millions on this complex technology only for it to break down.

Also, as great as the WEC is, it's still a very new championship and doesn't have an enormous following yet (apart from Le Mans). Porsche are not getting the exposure they need, and clearly Formula E is just growing and growing, so it makes sense for them to jump ship.

Formula E has the potential to become something quite incredible with all these great manufacturers on board, but they need to change a lot of stuff before that happens. Also, they kinda need a big name driver to go there to bring a new level of exposure to the championship. WEC had that when Webber joined, and when Hulkenberg did Le Mans. Formula E needs something like that.

I'm going to be honest, I do not like very big manufacturers leaving historic, iconic racing series with an excellent sense of power combined with skill and speed for something like Formula E, which is fun to watch, but still comes across as a bunch of overgrown RC-cars with its bosses being really pretentious about how they're the future of racing.

At this point, I'm just waiting for Formula One to suffer its first big loss to FE. On the long-term, maybe F1 will probably somehow absorb FE.

I understand the planet as a whole benefits from the switch to electrical-powered cars and that putting more focus through racing in the development of these sources of power is a good thing, but it ruins a lot. A lot.

Wow you and I agree on something, that's going to cause an ice age by itself, so we need petrol cars to warm things back up :D

Few random motorsport snaps from the last month, starting with the British Rallycross Championship at Lydden Hill...

...the World Rallycross Championship in France...

...and the British Masters grasstrack at Swingfield:

Looking forward to the BTCC at Brands and Sidecarcross at Canada Heights next month!

I've been promoted to powertrain team lead at Formula Student, guess I'd better get familiar with the 180 page rule book...

That sounds fun, although reading the 180 page rule book doesn’t  :# Well done though.

Hughesy said:
That sounds fun, although reading the 180 page rule book doesn’t  :# Well done though.
Thanks, fortunately I don't need every page of it but there's still a lot for me to learn.

Few shots from the final round of the British Sidecarcross & Quad Championship at Canada Heights. 

Quite likely my last motorsport outing of the year, roll on 2018!

Lukedfrt said:

Anyone else think this is an absolute steal? Can't see any of them not finishing in the top 2.. only one i have a little bit of doubt over is Marquez though..
This has just landed!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:                                            

We were testing a new rev counter at Formula Student today, it turns out bouncing a bike engine off the rev limiter hurts when you're standing right next to it! And we still need to increase the rev limit by another 2000rpm  :D

Took a while to find this thread again!

I'm going back to the Isle of Man TT on Thursday, again spending a week in and around the pits and paddock. Can't wait, but I'm not looking forward to getting up at 4AM!