Sign in to follow this  

Motorsport Stuff thread

fIsince08 said:

There's been some massive accidents at Spa today, hope everyone involved is OK :(

Was a massive bummer to see that McLaren crash! Shane van Gisbergen didn't even get a go and I was really looking forward to seeing him race at Spa. At least from what I heard the driver who crashed it is okay :)

Tony Stewart could be in real trouble here.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/10/sheriff-driver-hit-by-tony-stewart-in-sprint-car-race-has-died/?cid=sm_n_main_1_20140810_29468376

fIsince08 said:

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/10/sheriff-driver-hit-by-tony-stewart-in-sprint-car-race-has-died/?cid=sm_n_main_1_20140810_29468376

I've always thought the NASCAR way of getting out of the car onto a live track to confront another driver is unbelievably stupid, but even then there was more than enough room on the track for Stewart to miss him. If he wanted to miss him he would have.

fIsince08 said:

Absolutely dreadful, but what kind of idiot argues with guys in cars driving at 150mph (or whatever)? GET OFF THE ROAD.

Oh my, that's awful. This story must be massive over in the States. Why would he go onto the track though, it says the cars were doing 150mph at that point, wow

He did run on to a racing track which is completely idiotic. Apparently Stewart was right behind a car numbered 45 ( no idea if that's true or not) and didn't see him until very late. Read that Wards family was in the crowd too. 

My view on this is Stewart was trying to frighten him by swerving at him as he came in to the middle of the track, but he misjudged it on the dirt and ran in to him. Unfortunately this makes it looks like a deliberate attempt to hit him, and alongside Stewart's perception to be a bit of a hot head it really doesn't make a good story on Stewart's side. The #45 car really shouldn't have been an issue, he was some way back from it. 

150 miles? No way.

http://www.motorsport.com/sprint/news/yes-tony-stewart-did-run-over-a-fellow-driver-who-was-killed-but-know-the-whole-story

No big surprise there. Still can't believe it. Surely they'll get stricter on rules now in terms of getting out the car and wandering onto the track

I'm surprised there weren't rules in place already to prevent people from doing this. Probably expected people to show some common sense and not stand in the way of very fast moving objects.

I read that those cars are turned more by applying throttle and drifting, which if if he was trying to avoid hitting Ward, would explain why he seemed to acelerate

I don't really understand the whole incident but , what I will say is this : 

What king of an idiot runs on to a racetrack full of cars coming at him at 150mph.

Maybe Stewart did do it on purpose or try and scare him ( which is also incredibly stupid) but it wouldn't have happened had he not run onto the racetrack. 

Anyway , it's a horrible way to die. R.I.P

I am 99.999% sure that Tony Stewart didn't do that deliberately. Why would you?

I am 99.999% sure that Tony Stewart didn't do that deliberately. Why would you?

I personally think it was a floor it get the car sideways and throw a load of dirt at the kid to shut him up attempt that went wrong. Stupid from both parts

Those cars steer using the throttle as well as the steering wheel, which explains why he accelerated; he was trying to avoid him.

No charges against Stewart at this time so he is free for the moment and police are appealing to the people in attendance for any video of the accident.

Here

It would be lovely to see in car footage, right now I'd be surprised if he did it on purpose. If he wanted to run into him, why not run right into him instead of accelerating like that? You never know though.

I don't think Tony was trying to hit him for these reasons:

- These races are ran at night & it was dark & other driver was wearing black

- there was a yellow flag which usually is the time for the drivers to rest (mentally)

- The driver was blocked from tonys view by the car in front of him (maybe?)

- Tony would have no reason to since he wasn't the one put out of the race

- Tony was checking out the car he pushed into the wall (maybe)

Anyone been reading the stuff Autosport has been doing on CART in the 90s recently? That looked like such an awesome time, great drivers, great cars, great tracks, etc. Really wish I had the chance to be in on it at the time.

Also, Juan Pablo Montoya did an interview where he said F1 could learn a thing or two from Indycar. He's damn right, and seems to think among the same lines as Enoch Law who wrote that F1 Rejects article I posted a few days ago. 
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115359

Mexicola said:
Anyone been reading the stuff Autosport has been doing on CART in the 90s recently? That looked like such an awesome time, great drivers, great cars, great tracks, etc. Really wish I had the chance to be in on it at the time.

Also, Juan Pablo Montoya did an interview where he said F1 could learn a thing or two from Indycar. He's damn right, and seems to think among the same lines as Enoch Law who wrote that F1 Rejects article I posted a few days ago. 
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115359

Yeah, I bought the magazine and read it on the plane. It looked awesome, didn't it? The crop of drivers they had were really top notch, and the tracks too, fantastic.

If they showed it on free TV here I'd sure be watching every IndyCar race, it looks so good.

fIsince08 said:
I think Motors TV is coming to Freeview!!! :D
It's been on there for a while :p It's a streamed channel though which is annoying. My Freeview HD box is on the list of STB's that can't pick it up, but the Freeview HD built into my TV can play it (both connected to the WiFi). The only annoying thing is having to switch between both. I CBA to.

fIsince08 said:
I think Motors TV is coming to Freeview!!! :D
It's been on there for a while :p It's a streamed channel though which is annoying. My Freeview HD box is on the list of STB's that can't pick it up, but the Freeview HD built into my TV can play it (both connected to the WiFi). The only annoying thing is having to switch between both. I CBA to.
No, I mean it's properly coming to freeview! Look at the twitter page.