Sign in to follow this  

Motorsport Stuff thread

VetteIfan said:
WEC is at Silverstone in 2 weeks. £35 for a Sunday ticket isn't too shabby, considering you get 6 hours of action. I was planning to go with some guys from my Uni course (I study Motorsport Engineering so it's kind of a big thing), but I forgot I had a prior engagement on the 12th. 

I'm all booked for the F1 at Silverstone though. Will be my 4th time there. Past 3 times I've gone I've only been there for race day. This year I'm there for 3 days, so I'm pretty stoked about that. 
I was considering heading to the WEC. I still might if I get some time to spare. 
Don't forget about Euro Formula 3 and ELMS

I'm going to the Belgium grand prix this year whilst on holiday! First live F1 experience.
I guess this will be the only time I don't want it to rain at Spa. :tongue: 

I'll be going to World Series By Renault now that it's back at Silverstone, and also the Formula E finale in Battersea Park!

Wish I could get to the US to see an IndyCar race. Or, even better, they should have an IndyCar race here! Preferably on the streets of Leamington Spa then I could just watch it from our second floor.

I'm going to the Belgium grand prix this year whilst on holiday! First live F1 experience.
I guess this will be the only time I don't want it to rain at Spa. :tongue: 
Hmm? A Buttonfan who doesn't want it to rain? :p

Jesus Christ, IndyCar has more adverts than ITV on a BTCC weekend. Considering giving up with this race.
Hopefully not many ads this weekend on ITV4 for the Btcc.

I was talking about it on Twitter, but I thought to myself earlier: I need to go and watch some live motor sport this year!

I had a think about what I could perhaps go and see that wasn't too expensive, and I thought of World RallyCross at Lydden Hill! Had a look at their tickets online and it's £25 for general admission on the Sunday, and maybe £35 if I want a grandstand seat. I've really gotten into RallyCross the last year or so, so I'm really considering buying a ticket.
Go. Seriously GO. You won't regret it. Rally was my first love and saloon car racing like the BTCC is brilliant... but I have yet to see a spectacle in motorsport that compares to the sight and sound of 6 rallycross Supercars leaving the line. 

I went to my first rallycross meeting around 9 years ago and I've been hooked since. Even the national Championship is a great watch; I'm going to the BTCC this Sunday and the British Rallycross Championship round on Monday. I'm really looking forward to both, but if I could only get to one then it would be the BTCC that I would miss! 

Jesus Christ, IndyCar has more adverts than ITV on a BTCC weekend. Considering giving up with this race.
Well, the plus for It ITV is they don't have breaks during the race I guess. But they'll go for a break, come back for 2 minutes, then go to break again lol. 

Kinda glad I stuck with the IndyCar, Montoya won :)

Well, the plus for It ITV is they don't have breaks during the race I guess. But they'll go for a break, come back for 2 minutes, then go to break again lol. 

Kinda glad I stuck with the IndyCar, Montoya won :)
lol, i'll be watching it on ITV4 first race starts at 8:45pm for me :)

tbtstt said:
I was talking about it on Twitter, but I thought to myself earlier: I need to go and watch some live motor sport this year!

I had a think about what I could perhaps go and see that wasn't too expensive, and I thought of World RallyCross at Lydden Hill! Had a look at their tickets online and it's £25 for general admission on the Sunday, and maybe £35 if I want a grandstand seat. I've really gotten into RallyCross the last year or so, so I'm really considering buying a ticket.
Go. Seriously GO. You won't regret it. Rally was my first love and saloon car racing like the BTCC is brilliant... but I have yet to see a spectacle in motorsport that compares to the sight and sound of 6 rallycross Supercars leaving the line. 

I went to my first rallycross meeting around 9 years ago and I've been hooked since. Even the national Championship is a great watch; I'm going to the BTCC this Sunday and the British Rallycross Championship round on Monday. I'm really looking forward to both, but if I could only get to one then it would be the BTCC that I would miss! 
Aaahh I really want to go now! I'm also 99% going to Goodwood FoS this year with some mates so hopefully I can afford the RX too.

But also, I'm going to see the WEC display in London! It's been planned for a while that we'd have a tour of the Houses of Parliament, and then I found out on Twitter earlier today that the WEC is having a display at Marble Arch tomorrow as well! So after the tour I'm gonna head over there and take a look at the cars, including the Audi, Toyota, Porsche and Nissan LMP1 cars, the Strakka LMP2 and the Ferrari GT car! I'll definitely take my camera and take some pictures of them and post them up.

Aaahh I really want to go now! I'm also 99% going to Goodwood FoS this year with some mates so hopefully I can afford the RX too.

This FoS is a brilliant weekend. About the only complaint I can make against the FoS is the escalating entry cost. Even so, there is so much to see you're bound to find something you like. Is it your first time going @PeteTheDuck?

Without meaning to harp on, if you can get to Lydden for the World Rallycross then do it. I did two World Rallycross rounds last year and I'm hoping to do four World Rallycross rounds this year, cannot wait for the Championship to get started!

But also, I'm going to see the WEC display in London! It's been planned for a while that we'd have a tour of the Houses of Parliament, and then I found out on Twitter earlier today that the WEC is having a display at Marble Arch tomorrow as well! So after the tour I'm gonna head over there and take a look at the cars, including the Audi, Toyota, Porsche and Nissan LMP1 cars, the Strakka LMP2 and the Ferrari GT car! I'll definitely take my camera and take some pictures of them and post them up.
The WEC is, in my opinion, by far and away the jewel in the crown for the FiA at the moment. Its a shame its not getting more attention as its vastly superior to F1. Absolutely gutted I can't get to Le Mans again this year as its sure to be a belter. Please post some pictures up if you go!

tbtstt said:
This FoS is a brilliant weekend. About the only complaint I can make against the FoS is the escalating entry cost. Even so, there is so much to see you're bound to find something you like. Is it your first time going
@PeteTheDuck?

Without meaning to harp on, if you can get to Lydden for the World Rallycross then do it. I did two World Rallycross rounds last year and I'm hoping to do four World Rallycross rounds this year, cannot wait for the Championship to get started!
Yeah it seems to have become extremely popular, even in the last two or three years, but as you say, there'so so much to see and do it should be a fab day. And yeah, it's my first time there.

Oh nice, which other round did you go to again?
tbtstt said:
The WEC is, in my opinion, by far and away the jewel in the crown for the FiA at the moment. Its a shame its not getting more attention as its vastly superior to F1. Absolutely gutted I can't get to Le Mans again this year as its sure to be a belter. Please post some pictures up if you go!
Yeah it's looking so attractive to the big manufacturers too. The fact they have four manufacturers in LMP1 is awesome. F1 just has Mercedes and Ferrari, they desperately need a couple more big names! Unfortunately times are actually looking really slim tomorrow because the tour is bang in the middle of the WEC display. If I can get along then it will be for about 30 mins it seems, but yeah, I think I'll run to the tube to get there before it ends :p definitely gonna take the camera.

Yeah it seems to have become extremely popular, even in the last two or three years, but as you say, there'so so much to see and do it should be a fab day. And yeah, it's my first time there.
Make sure you get there early (I would advise 8 or earlier) as there can be a bit of a queue to get in. Also don't miss out the rally stage. Loads of people skip it as its at the top of the hill, but its the best bit of the FoS in my opinion! 

I used to do the whole weekend to allow more time to check everything out, but with the rising costs I'm just doing the Saturday this year: gutted as I've just seen Rossi will be there on the Sunday!
Loheac (France). If you are bored my pictures (and a few words) on the French round are here, my pictures from last years Lydden round are here.

Hoping to do Lydden, Loheac, Mettet (Belgium) and Franciacorta (Italy) this year! 
Yeah it's looking so attractive to the big manufacturers too. The fact they have four manufacturers in LMP1 is awesome. F1 just has Mercedes and Ferrari, they desperately need a couple more big names! Unfortunately times are actually looking really slim tomorrow because the tour is bang in the middle of the WEC display. If I can get along then it will be for about 30 mins it seems, but yeah, I think I'll run to the tube to get there before it ends :p definitely gonna take the camera.
It remains to be seen if the Nissan is competitive, but if it is (and I'm sure if it wasn't Nissan wouldn't be bothering!) Le Mans should be epic. 

Fingers crossed you can fit the WEC display in!

tbtstt said:
Make sure you get there early (I would advise 8 or earlier) as there can be a bit of a queue to get in. Also don't miss out the rally stage. Loads of people skip it as its at the top of the hill, but its the best bit of the FoS in my opinion! 

I used to do the whole weekend to allow more time to check everything out, but with the rising costs I'm just doing the Saturday this year: gutted as I've just seen Rossi will be there on the Sunday!
Loheac (France). If you are bored my pictures (and a few words) on the French round are here, my pictures from last years Lydden round are here.

Hoping to do Lydden, Loheac, Mettet (Belgium) and Franciacorta (Italy) this year! 
It remains to be seen if the Nissan is competitive, but if it is (and I'm sure if it wasn't Nissan wouldn't be bothering!) Le Mans should be epic. 

Fingers crossed you can fit the WEC display in!
I forgot today was Thursday and not Friday so I'm in the office but I would have loved to have gone to the WEC display. It's not that far from where I live so the fact I'm in the office this morning is making me really sad. I'm determined to get myself to either Le Mans or one of the WEC Rounds if not this year, then next for sure. :smiley:

As for RX, convincing a friend to go down to Lydden for it, I've never been to it but I love the sport and it sounds a great laugh! Fingers crossed I suppose! 

I forgot today was Thursday and not Friday so I'm in the office but I would have loved to have gone to the WEC display. It's not that far from where I live so the fact I'm in the office this morning is making me really sad. I'm determined to get myself to either Le Mans or one of the WEC Rounds if not this year, then next for sure. :smiley:
I'm yet to do the WEC at Silverstone. Truth be told I'm not a massive fan of the track, but I should really get up there for it. 

Le Mans is an incredible weekend: it's also incredibly addictive, once you've been once you'll want to keep going! 
As for RX, convincing a friend to go down to Lydden for it, I've never been to it but I love the sport and it sounds a great laugh! Fingers crossed I suppose! 
Is that for the World Rallycross in May or the British Rallycross this Monday? Entry list for the British Championship this year looks really good, easily the best Supercar field we've had for years.

Which ever Championship you are watching you should have a great time. The paddocks are always open at rallycross meets, so you can see a lot of the teams in action and the cars up close. Not many World Championships where you can do that...  ;)

tbtstt said:
I'm yet to do the WEC at Silverstone. Truth be told I'm not a massive fan of the track, but I should really get up there for it. 

Le Mans is an incredible weekend: it's also incredibly addictive, once you've been once you'll want to keep going! 
Is that for the World Rallycross in May or the British Rallycross this Monday? Entry list for the British Championship this year looks really good, easily the best Supercar field we've had for years.

Which ever Championship you are watching you should have a great time. The paddocks are always open at rallycross meets, so you can see a lot of the teams in action and the cars up close. Not many World Championships where you can do that...  ;)
I've been watching Le Mans since I was about 11 I think? I've wanted to go so badly for so long so hopefully soon! The olny other WEC track I might go would be Spa, or maybe the Nurburgring? Travel costs and time might be a little too much at the moment though.

The world RX, I think its the 22-24th of May? I really love the idea of the open paddock so if I do get time to go down I'll be taking my camera with me for sure. 

There's so many racing events I'd love to go to but time just wont permit. Trying to line up the BTCC at Oulton Park with visiting my parents so that should be fun. :smiley:

I've been watching Le Mans since I was about 11 I think? I've wanted to go so badly for so long so hopefully soon! The olny other WEC track I might go would be Spa, or maybe the Nurburgring? Travel costs and time might be a little too much at the moment though. 
I'd highly recommend a package tour for your first Le Mans trip. It's a good way of controlling costs and a good way of getting to know your way around. My first trip there (2008) was part of a package tour, I have camped on subsequent trips. 

I've never been the 'Ring. A handful of my mates go annually as part of a car club, but I've never been as the weekend they pick always seems to clash with something else! One day I'll fit it in...
The world RX, I think its the 22-24th of May? I really love the idea of the open paddock so if I do get time to go down I'll be taking my camera with me for sure. 
Yep, that's the World RX round. :) One or two teams drop their awnings down, but the vast majority leave them open so you can have a really good nose at what they are doing. 
There's so many racing events I'd love to go to but time just wont permit. Trying to line up the BTCC at Oulton Park with visiting my parents so that should be fun. :smiley:
Time and money are always the two main stumbling blocks: too much racing to watch and nowhere near enough time to fit it all in!

tbtstt said:
This FoS is a brilliant weekend. About the only complaint I can make against the FoS is the escalating entry cost. Even so, there is so much to see you're bound to find something you like. 
I think this is the year I might finally visit Goodwood. For financial reasons though I'll probably only visit one day. Is there a "best day" to go? You say Rossi will be there on the Sunday so that's an attractive proposition.

VetteIfan said:
I think this is the year I might finally visit Goodwood. For financial reasons though I'll probably only visit one day. Is there a "best day" to go? You say Rossi will be there on the Sunday so that's an attractive proposition.
Sunday is technically the best day @VetteIfan as that is when they run the "top 20 shootout" on the hillclimb course, but I personally prefer the Saturday. You still get to see everything running up the hill on Saturday, plus there is normally more stuff running on the rally stage and you haven't got to worry if you leave late: I have never stayed later than 5 on the Sunday because I have to be up early for work on Monday! 

The Thursday and Friday are OK (and cheaper), but there is less stuff running and some exhibitors won't be in place.

Oh, and for anyone going to the FoS and trying to keep the cost down, TAKE FOOD WITH YOU! The food stands at Goodwood serve decent food, but they are bloody expensive. Carrying a bag of food around is a bit of a pain, but the pain is worth it when you haven't got to pay a tenner for burger and chips!

tbtstt said:

Loheac (France). If you are bored my pictures (and a few words) on the French round are here, my pictures from last years Lydden round are here.  Hoping to do Lydden, Loheac, Mettet (Belgium) and Franciacorta (Italy) this year! 

It remains to be seen if the Nissan is competitive, but if it is (and I'm sure if it wasn't Nissan wouldn't be bothering!) Le Mans should be epic. Fingers crossed you can fit the WEC display in!
Ah right, ok thanks for the advice! That really helps that you've been before so you know from experience :p Ah yeah I remember looking through the images now! Awesome stuff.

About the WEC display, well I managed to go and catch the final 20 mins of it! Unfortunately all the drivers had gone by that point (really gutted as I missed Davidson, Calado, Jarvis, etc), but there were still 5 cars (Audi, Toyota, Nissan, Ferrari and Aston Martin). I got some pictures of them and a couple of cockpit shots too from the Nissan and Audi! They were previous years cars it seems (except the Nissan) but I was surprised how close they let you get to them! I mean no barriers, just get as close as you like! I'll go through the photos tonight and post some up tomorrow or Saturday. :)

But yeah, my parents now seem really interested in WEC too (especially my mum which I find incredible!) but yeah, we're thinking about going to Silverstone next Saturday for the WEC Qualifying day! It's £20 each and that includes any grandstand seat and paddock passes! So if I go to that then that will be mega as well!

But yeah, my parents now seem really interested in WEC too (especially my mum which I find incredible!) but yeah, we're thinking about going to Silverstone next Saturday for the WEC Qualifying day! It's £20 each and that includes any grandstand seat and paddock passes! So if I go to that then that will be mega as well!

That's pretty reasonable for something at Silverstone, definitely worth a look if you can get there!

tbtstt said:
VetteIfan said:
Sunday is technically the best day @VetteIfan as that is when they run the "top 20 shootout" on the hillclimb course, but I personally prefer the Saturday. You still get to see everything running up the hill on Saturday, plus there is normally more stuff running on the rally stage and you haven't got to worry if you leave late: I have never stayed later than 5 on the Sunday because I have to be up early for work on Monday! 

The Thursday and Friday are OK (and cheaper), but there is less stuff running and some exhibitors won't be in place.
Sweet, thanks for the info.

So I'm now 99% sure I'm gonna be going up to Silverstone this Saturday for the WEC Qualifying day!

Really looking forward to it, and I'm now so pleased I went and saw that display at Marble Arch on Thursday as I probably wouldn't be going otherwise. I would go on the Sunday but I've got prior commitments, but the action on Saturday isn't too shoddy! 2 hours of WEC practice and qualifying action, 2 Euro F3 races and a 4 hour European Le Mans Series race. I can definitely access the paddock which is very cool, and I believe can get into the national pit lane (old one) for a pit walk for the ELMS race!

Does anyone here happen to be going this weekend, or has anyone gone to the WEC in the past? If so then have you got any particular tips of where to sit/what to see?