DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Motorsport Stuff thread

So I'm now 99% sure I'm gonna be going up to Silverstone this Saturday for the WEC Qualifying day!

Really looking forward to it, and I'm now so pleased I went and saw that display at Marble Arch on Thursday as I probably wouldn't be going otherwise. I would go on the Sunday but I've got prior commitments, but the action on Saturday isn't too shoddy! 2 hours of WEC practice and qualifying action, 2 Euro F3 races and a 4 hour European Le Mans Series race. I can definitely access the paddock which is very cool, and I believe can get into the national pit lane (old one) for a pit walk for the ELMS race!

Does anyone here happen to be going this weekend, or has anyone gone to the WEC in the past? If so then have you got any particular tips of where to sit/what to see?
I am so incredibly jealous of you getting to go to the Marble Arch display, and to Silverstone! I don't live all that far from there but I was in the studio all day so I couldn't make it. 

Take lots of photos and post them in here so I can live vicariously through you! :smiley:

So I'm now 99% sure I'm gonna be going up to Silverstone this Saturday for the WEC Qualifying day!

Does anyone here happen to be going this weekend, or has anyone gone to the WEC in the past? If so then have you got any particular tips of where to sit/what to see?
Excellent, enjoy! (and pack your camera! ;) ) Make sure you spend at least some of your day on a fast corner: the speed the LMP cars (especially the LMP1's) carry through corners will blow your mind!

Spent the weekend at Brands Hatch for the opening BTCC round and was down at Lydden Hill yesterday for the second round of the British Rallycross Championship: so glad the motorsport season is underway again! 

tbtstt said:

Excellent, enjoy! (and pack your camera! ;) ) Make sure you spend at least some of your day on a fast corner: the speed the LMP cars (especially the LMP1's) carry through corners will blow your mind!

Spent the weekend at Brands Hatch for the opening BTCC round and was down at Lydden Hill yesterday for the second round of the British Rallycross Championship: so glad the motorsport season is underway again! 
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it! I'll definitely take the camera, and I will post up some pictures of the Marble Arch display very soon too! I'll definitely try and get to Maggots and Beckett's as well (never stood there before).

And @LiteralZero I'll definitely post them up here!

Thanks @tbtstt, I basically held my phone in the cockpit with my arm and hit click!

I got a bit bored so decided to come up with a fantasy circuit design. I've based it around Hyde Park in London and you can have a look at it by clicking the link below. I'll probably do some close up drawings of it soon (particular corners) and share them too.

It's 4.7 miles/7.5 km long (about the same as Spa) and goes in an anti-clockwise direction starting on Park Lane (pit lane on the opposite side). It passes landmarks such as Marble Arch, the Serpentine,  Wellington Arch, the Royal Mews and Buckingham Palace.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6576606

So here's a couple of close up drawings of that circuit I shared in the post above. I've tried to make it as realistic looking as possible, so I've included service roads, TecPro barriers, kerbs, sausage kerbs, astroturf, etc! I hope you like them!

You can click on the images to make them much larger too so you can really look at them close up!

This is Turn 8, at the end of a long straight. I've slightly re-profiled the corner so it's tighter than if it was a long right hander. This also means the apex is sooner and it gives better overtaking opportunities.

And this is turns 11 and 12, just before crossing the Serpentine Bridge. I haven't drastically changed the corner as there wasn't much to play around with, but it should be a fast left-right chicane!

I'll try and do some more illustrations soon!

On the subject of the WEC on Saturday, there's so much planning I need to do as there's so much I want to see! I want to be able to watch pretty much all the on-track action but I need to incorporate other events such as going to the WEC paddock, and the ELMS paddock and pit walk. I also want to see the LMP1 cars going through Maggots and Beckett's, to see just how quick they are. I'm trying to look at when I can do it all!

I'm coming up with a sort of timetable for myself so I'll hopefully see as much as possible at the right times too! :p

I think Turn 8 might look better if it was similar to Turn 1 at Hungaroring.

Well, I just thought I'd write a little bit about my visit to Silverstone on Saturday for the WEC! I've been busy all weekend so not had the chance to go on the forums!

Had a great day though, arrived early in time for the first session and in typical Silverstone fashion it was raining like hell and stupidly windy! This was my 8th trip to Silverstone and it's rained on half of those occasions, and it's miserable!

Fortunately the rain cleared up and we watched the WEC practice session from the International Pits Straight grandstand. The cars sounded epic, especially the Toyota, Aston Martins and Corvettes. The Audi was much quieter than any other car, it was odd!

Then we made our way back around the circuit, so to Club corner, past Vale, around Stowe and along the Hangar Straight. We crossed the bridge to the infield of the circuit and sat and watched the first Euro F3 race from the Stowe Lakeside grandstand (just before Vale). That race was a bit dull to be honest but it was a good view of the cars through Stowe and through Vale and Club!

We then walked into the WEC paddock and had a look at the trucks, tyres, etc. We even caught a brief glimpse of Mark Webber coming out of the Porsche motorhome but I couldn't get my camera out in time to take a picture! 

At this point we were freezing so decided to go into the Wing for a coffee and a warm up, but we then watched some of the ELMS Qualifying session from the balcony section of the Wing! Very cool and you could look right over the pit lane.

The next event was the WEC Qualifying and I really wanted to watch that from Maggots and Beckett's if possible, really to see the cars at speed (thanks for the tip @tbtstt!) and it was definitely worth it! We actually watched from the infield area between the Loop and Aintree and Maggots and Beckett's.

I got my camera out for 15/20 mins and found a photographer's hole in the fence so started taking some pictures. Another guy was there too with his camera and he very kindly let me use a couple of his spare lenses! One of them had this ridiculous zoom but it was so hard to focus on the cars! He said to aim for a kerb and keep practicing! Most of the pictures were a bit crap as any tiny movement looks massive with a big zoom, but there were one or two good ones!

Anyway, we then walked over to the National Pits Straight paddock and had a look around there. That's where the ELMS was based, and we managed to get on the pit walk too! Not sure if you're aware but Chris Hoy was racing in this, and he actually came first in his LMP3 class! Anyway, got a few pics of him but I didn't manage to get his autograph because of the massive queue!

Then we walked under Copse corner and up the National Pits Straight and sat in the Woodcote grandstand for the second Euro F3 race. Again, seemed kinda dull but still a good view of most of the Wellington Straight and all of Brooklands, Luffield, Woodcote and the Pits Straight.

It was time for the ELMS 4 Hour race and we watched the first 45 mins or so from Woodcote again, and then walked up to Luffield and watched another 45 mins from there. At this point we had no idea what was really happening in the race and there wasn't much overtaking so we decided to call it a day and go home.

A great day though, and I was absolutely shattered! I went on the Gmap Pedometer website and mapped out where we walked and it was over 5.5 miles! Silverstone is an absolutely massive place, and the walk from the International Pits Straight to the inside of Vale alone was over a mile long and took over 30 minutes. Crazy!

Anyway, I realise I've written a lot so I'll shut up now! :p Pictures to come soon!

"At this point we were freezing so decided to go into the Wing for a coffee and a warm up, but we then watched some of the ELMS Qualifying session from the balcony section of the Wing! Very cool and you could look right over the pit lane."

I was there last year for some work and it was awesome being able to go on the balcony as Ferrari's belted it round! 

What was the crowd like also? On the TV feed from the Sunday I was worried that it looked quiet! 

"At this point we were freezing so decided to go into the Wing for a coffee and a warm up, but we then watched some of the ELMS Qualifying session from the balcony section of the Wing! Very cool and you could look right over the pit lane."

I was there last year for some work and it was awesome being able to go on the balcony as Ferrari's belted it round! 

What was the crowd like also? On the TV feed from the Sunday I was worried that it looked quiet! 
It was quieter than I expected actually. They didn't open all the grandstands, only about 6 or 7, but even they were no way near filled, bit of a shame really. When doing the walk from International Pits Straight up past Stowe, Hangar Straight, etc, we must have only passed about 50 other people who were walking. Really quiet.

The ELMS Pit Walk was apparently first come first serve, but we arrived with only about 10 minutes of it to go and they were still just letting everyone in.

Glad you enjoyed it @PeteTheDuck! Got back home in time to watch the last couple of hours of the WEC race yesterday. Brilliant race to the flag and a well deserved win for Audi. Another good sign that this years Le Mans is going to be a cracker!

Watching the full race on Youtube as I work today and the crowd is actually pretty big! Really nice to see bigger crowds for endurance racing. 

Get us some of these photo's up too! :smiley:

Wait, the full race is on YouTube?

Btw, anyone watched the IndyCar race in New Orleans, Louisiana? Never laughed so hard at a complete shambles of a race and I watched the entire 2005 US Grand Prix without commercial breaks. The conditions were too wet to race for a long time, then it sort of dried up, but they never heard of intermediates over there, so people just started using slicks. That's when the drama started. They couldn't last over a lap under green until the safety car had to come out because of debris, contract, people spinning out. The race was won by James Hinchcliffe because he stayed out with like 20-30 laps to go while a lot of other people went into the pits, because he guessed they wouldn't had to race anymore. His guess paid off when all the cautions meant time ran out, so they had to throw out the finish flag. It sounds somewhat funny, but in all seriousness, there are people who believe American open-wheel racing is doomed and these sort of things aren't helping. There was like no crowd in New Orleans either and it was a brand new circuit too.

"Wait, the full race is on YouTube?"

Yeah! I'm not gonna' link it here, but if you either search YouTube or go to the WEC Reddit there's a link for the full 7 hour show in 720p!

Jiggy said:

Btw, anyone watched the IndyCar race in New Orleans, Louisiana? Never laughed so hard at a complete shambles of a race and I watched the entire 2005 US Grand Prix without commercial breaks. The conditions were too wet to race for a long time, then it sort of dried up, but they never heard of intermediates over there, so people just started using slicks. That's when the drama started. They couldn't last over a lap under green until the safety car had to come out because of debris, contract, people spinning out. The race was won by James Hinchcliffe because he stayed out with like 20-30 laps to go while a lot of other people went into the pits, because he guessed they wouldn't had to race anymore. His guess paid off when all the cautions meant time ran out, so they had to throw out the finish flag. It sounds somewhat funny, but in all seriousness, there are people who believe American open-wheel racing is doomed and these sort of things aren't helping. There was like no crowd in New Orleans either and it was a brand new circuit too.
It really was pathetic. They should rename it Formula Caution. Just when I thought Indycar might be getting interesting with the aero stuff we have an entire race under the safety car. And in the end a driver who had no chance of winning if they actually had any green flag laps. shame.

Jiggy said:

It really was pathetic. They should rename it Formula Caution. Just when I thought Indycar might be getting interesting with the aero stuff we have an entire race under the safety car. And in the end a driver who had no chance of winning if they actually had any green flag laps. shame.
Seeing Hinchcliffe get really, really excited over it was funny though. I think it was his first race win too.

Very different discipline of motorsport, but a few shots from the second round of the British Rallycross Championship last weekend...

Some crackin' photo's! 

Is that at Lydden Hill? What sort of gear you using, trying to work out what to take with me when I go. :wink: 

Is that at Lydden Hill? What sort of gear you using, trying to work out what to take with me when I go. :wink: 
Yes, it's Lydden! Shots were all taken with a Canon 60D using a Canon 55-250 mm lens.

Few more photos here: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22961613@N06/sets/72157651519467289/

If you are interested!